SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

ceetee,

Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better now. I seek advice from my lactation nurse and she said since I'm only having low grade fever and no redness at my breast, she advised me to latch on more and pump regularly.

I drank more water and used warm compress before pumping. My supply became less from my left breast initially but today its back to normal as the lumps cleared up.

I think I just had mastitis without infection so there was no need for antibiotics. :)

My baby is still jaundiced till now. Brought him to see paeds yesterday and he did a liver function test using blood. The results were total bilirubin 264. Direct bilirubin is normal so it isn't obstructive jaundice but GGT was high 551. My paediatrician gave me the option of waiting for one more week and repeat the liver function test again or stop breastfeeding for 24hours and repeat serum bilirubin. I took the latter option.

My baby has been on exclusive breastmilk since day one. Does breastmilk cause prolonged neonatal jaundice? Is due to something we eat like chinese herbs during confinement?

my case was the same too last time, my boy was supposed to be scheduled for the phototheraphy for 2 nites. at that time, i have to give in to feed him with formula milk as i do not have enough breastmilk to supply. then the next day the nurse from the hospital called me, said my boy's bilirubin level has reduced that I can bring him home. the paed told me, the reason he recovers so fast cause he was fed with formula... i was very surprised with it. but after that i didn't go back to this paed as i think she doesn't support breastfeeding. not just her, other paed who commented on breastfeeding, i will stop going back. :tongue:

BTW, I plan to breastfeed my 2nd baby again next year. And I plan to give some BM to my 1st son (he will be 21 mths when the 2nd baby arrives) as well since BM has antibodies. I'm just wondering, if my 1st son is given 100% breastmilk by then (apart from solid food), in terms of nutrition wise, is it sufficient for him? Or should I give him 1 feeding of BM and the rest are from milk powder / fresh milk? Besides milk, he is currently taking a little of cheese occasionally and daily intake of homemade yogurt from the dairy food products.

my case was the same too last time, my boy was supposed to be scheduled for the phototheraphy for 2 nites. at that time, i have to give in to feed him with formula milk as i do not have enough breastmilk to supply. then the next day the nurse from the hospital called me, said my boy's bilirubin level has reduced that I can bring him home. the paed told me, the reason he recovers so fast cause he was fed with formula... i was very surprised with it. but after that i didn't go back to this paed as i think she doesn't support breastfeeding. not just her, other paed who commented on breastfeeding, i will stop going back. :tongue:

Actually the reason why the baby recovers faster after being fed with formula milk is because a jaundiced baby needs to be hydrated enough to purge the bilirubin away from his system. As baby's liver is still immature, the only way is to drink as much liquid as possible and purge the bilirubin via urine. So any form of liquid will do the trick, be it breastmilk, formula milk, glucose or even plain water.

So if you do not want to feed the baby with formula and not having enough breastmilk at that moment, then the other way is to feed glucose or even donated breastmilk. For those who noticed that their baby has high level of jaundice, doctor may even suggest glucose drip to the baby apart from phototheraphy. With these 2 together, baby would recover faster.

In other words, to avoid severe jaundice, please remember to hydrate your baby. Formula feeding is alright in the beginning coz at that time, mother's milk has not arrive, so feeding with formula may not be a very bad idea after all. What is most important is enough hydration. When your breastmilk arrives, you are able to reverse the feeding pattern back to 100% breastmilk. I tried that, and I don't find it impossible :)

My BF journey is going to end soon at my lil one 17mo :sad: I am so reluctant to give her cow's milk after I had read so many articles on the negative of cow's milk... I wonder any other types of milk mummies here can recommend?

Can anyone helps???

My BF journey is going to end soon at my lil one 17mo :sad: I am so reluctant to give her cow's milk after I had read so many articles on the negative of cow's milk... I wonder any other types of milk mummies here can recommend?

My baby is now 20 month old n im still bf her. The best part I discovered after bf her for such a long time is she seldom got sick. So far she only caught cold once n coughing twice. No medicine was given. She recovered by her own. I fully encourage mommies to bf their babies. If u got question, feel free to drop me msg. It's good to share with u.