SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

Happygal, that's the biggest load of baloney I have heard so far. Ingat what? Breastmilk for vampires keh? If that were true, why would WHO and the entire world governments go around advocating breastfeeding for babies? If someone were to tell me that, I'd be itching to slap them. =.=

Happygal, that's the biggest load of baloney I have heard so far. Ingat what? Breastmilk for vampires keh? If that were true, why would WHO and the entire world governments go around advocating breastfeeding for babies? If someone were to tell me that, I'd be itching to slap them. =.=

ya wor, meiteoh, some people really have that kind of mentality, kesian right?!

happygal, i also told my mom that in US there are people donating their BM to african's babies suffers from malnourishment. see here for more info: http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

so in conclusion, BM has no blood in there, otherwise they won't allow BM donation. :sleep:

hi cheerio,

yeah,i'm grateful that my MIL is willing to sleep wif my baby and check on her as she said.but i have to be firm then,that i wan to wake up and BF her directly.altho i scared i will be too tired.haha...first time mummy.really dunno wat to expect.the level of tiredness and pain during delivery.still in dilemma as to whether i wan to have epidural or not (sorry,out of topic awhile)

L&J,

most babies will cry for milk and it will wakes u up... just to warn u that i did experienced once where my mum didnt wake me up and just let baby suckle pacifier so that i can rest.. some old people thinks they are doing the best they could not weighing the priority... so u really need to be very firm if u decided to let baby sleeps with ur MIL. there are pros and cons of getting help from ur MIL. keep an eye, monitor for few days and adjust accordingly. its always not possible to get all things right from the start. jia you!! :lol:

if not as what janicelly suggested, sideway nursing is another option, for me, my newborn only learns sideway after confinement. before that, she barely knows how to turn sideway so i have to be in very akward position to suit her. :blush:

My daughter during that age also refuse to drink milk...but i still continue le...

oh ya...izit ur bb teething time?? during teething bb will no mood to drink milk wo...

i think my baby is teething now at 4mth. she refuses to drink milk. normally she drinks 16 oz at baby sitter's place but yesterday she only willing to take 8 oz or lesser. when i direct nurse, she will rub her gum against my breast and yesterday evening even worst, not willing to take my breast at all, she just opened her mouth wide and cry when she see i push my breast towards her. i think her gum hurts. :unsure: so kesian....... i tried teething ring, she bite for a while then cry again. not sure if she is manja when she sees me, but how do you deal with her feeding? i am worry with her drinking that little. is this gonna last long? :sad:

Hi Cheerio,

sideways huh? i think i got to read up on placing baby sideways.i always see the more common ways of breastfeeding.but i wanna get a nursing pillow.maybe tat will help?

hopefully my MIL won't be stubborn la.but so far she's okla i guess.

errmm..1 more Q.i'm now in my 25th week.but i noticed tat my breasts are decreasing in size wan? like not as enlarged as past few weeks.i'm a bit worried leh...isit normal ah?

cheerio,

you can mix BM with cereal. just add BM little by little to get the consistency you want. i did that & it worked for me. it's better to use your milk cos the taste of it is familiar to your baby. later on when she gets better at solids, when you start giving porridge, then add water lo!

as for drinking less milk during teething, dont worry, it's only temporary. you might wanna try freezing the teething ring, then only give her, it'll numb her pain. after that only you try to BF, see it works or not?

simone,

yes! must do night feeds cos like cheerio said, our prolactin is highest at night. it's very important (especially during early days when establishing our supply)

L&J,

here is a linkwith photos & instruction to show you how to nurse lying down sideways.

as for breast decreasing in size, i've never encountered before. maybe you should check with your gynae?

Thanks Janicelly for the website.

hmmm...a bit paiseh to ask.hahaha....have to bare breast let him see wan ka? he wouldn't know my breast size anyways before this...so....hmm...this is a tough one.maybe i shud ask the lactation nurse instead.

L&J,

hi.. my breast is decreasing the size a little bit too. But still bigger than b4 pregnant la.. Just my feeling of painful and sensitiveness on breast is stopped!! I did asked my gynea. Cuz i worry that this ll affect me for BF. My gynea said it's normal that the breast ll 'stop develop' when go to 5month++ or 6 months. Then after that breast ll be sensitive again and keep increase size(some pregnant lady) from 7 months onwards.

Dr didnt check my breast when i asking this. haha :)

hey beibei,

this is good news.i thot i was the only weird one. :lol:

so this normal....good good! then maybe i can still ask my gynae and see wat he says.check his knowledge.kakaka.... :tongue:

Hi Cheerio, I have same case with u. Suspect BB teething (at 3 months) and she takes lesser milk and refuse to direct nurse. At first i was so sad thought she doesn't want mommy. Anyone face this before? Will bb accept back direct nurse? How? (I have stop direct nurse for 2 weeks but pump bm out). My BB average drink 15oz a day. When she refuse to drink, we won't give up by singing song to calm her, walk and talk during feeding. i also give her pacifier for her to bite.

hey beibei,

this is good news.i thot i was the only weird one. :lol:

so this normal....good good! then maybe i can still ask my gynae and see wat he says.check his knowledge.kakaka.... :tongue:

L&J & beibei, another one here ! me too ! but I didn't ask my gynae..I thought I read somewhere that it is something like what beibei said, mb increase in size & sensitive at our early stage of pregnancy & then stop and mb come back again...so I thk it is ok kua...but L&J, if u happen to ask your gynae, just share with us here what he/she saying ok ? thanks !

hey girls,sure.i'll let u guys know but tat will be in march! haha...oh,unless i get to ask during my prenatal classes next week.will keep u girls posted

angelKel, i am very sim tia le, i never see she cries like this before, non stop and kept on screaming! omg don tell me this is gonna last for 2 weeks. my MIL comforted me that this is only going to be few days then things will gets back to normal. :ohmy: i direct nurse her this morning and she accepted it, but as usual, no appetite, she turned her face away after few suckle. i have to keep on pushing my breast to her, she will latch on, suckle then let go and again and again.

janicelly, i refrigerated the teething ring and let her bite, she tried and still cry. i do like what angelKel did, let her suckle on pacifier then only she stops. not sure its because she got too tired. she just dozed off after that.

as for the cereal, isnt it we suppose to mix with boiling water, otherwise it wont dissolve well? usually i only warm the BM a little, do u think that is sufficient to dissolve the cereal?

L&J,

aiyo, no need bare your breast la. during confinement if you bare your breast, your confinement lady will scold you ler. you wear button down shirt & nursing bra, then easier to breastfeed lo. your baby wont "aim" for your breast but the areola (thats why it's darker when you are pregnant!) & he can smell you.

cheerio,

hmm....then i also dont know how to reduce her teething pain ler. poor baby! i think she cry until too tired. you wear her also she cry ah? if it gets worst, maybe you should bring her to see paed. i think they have something to relieve the pain.

i mixed my warmed BM with cereal & it didnt clump up at all. my cereal are find powder, so no need dissolved. if yours cannot, then you put boiling water to mix, then only add your BM?

L&J,

aiyo, no need bare your breast la. during confinement if you bare your breast, your confinement lady will scold you ler. you wear button down shirt & nursing bra, then easier to breastfeed lo. your baby wont "aim" for your breast but the areola (thats why it's darker when you are pregnant!) & he can smell you.

cheerio,

hmm....then i also dont know how to reduce her teething pain ler. poor baby! i think she cry until too tired. you wear her also she cry ah? if it gets worst, maybe you should bring her to see paed. i think they have something to relieve the pain.

i mixed my warmed BM with cereal & it didnt clump up at all. my cereal are find powder, so no need dissolved. if yours cannot, then you put boiling water to mix, then only add your BM?

cheerio,

u can use Bonjela. A transparent gel which can help to reduce the teething pain. U can find it in Guardian Pharmacy.

Currently I still BF my 4 mths old girl. But too bad that I have started my menstrual period and it reduce my milk production. I'm a working mom as well, I scared that my milk produced is not enough for my little girl. Any body encounter this problem before and what is the way to help?

Just a quick question - have any of you ladies experienced blocked milk ducts and/or mastitis? Any ways to prevent it, tips or advice?

Janicelly, haha...i was talking abt baring breast to the gynae.coz breasts seem to be decreasing in size.

Bao B and beibei, i asked the lactation nurse during my prenatal class but she said am i sure it's smaller or sagging.if sagging,that means it's heavier coz of milk,so sag lor.hmm....i also not sure mine is sagging or smaller.she said top part like a bit flat,then sag to bottom like tat.maybe i shud still ask my gynae in the next 2 weeks during my appt.we shall see!

Janicelly, haha...i was talking abt baring breast to the gynae.coz breasts seem to be decreasing in size.

Bao B and beibei, i asked the lactation nurse during my prenatal class but she said am i sure it's smaller or sagging.if sagging,that means it's heavier coz of milk,so sag lor.hmm....i also not sure mine is sagging or smaller.she said top part like a bit flat,then sag to bottom like tat.maybe i shud still ask my gynae in the next 2 weeks during my appt.we shall see!

HAHA! sagging har ??? I'm not sure too...let me check mine tonight when bathing ! but what I felt previously was it was firm & sensitive like when my period time...but after that, it back to normal, no firm feeling & not sensitive! only feel my bra length is getting tight maybe my belly is getting bigger mah...ok, do share with us for your info later !

eh...yalor...i also feel like u leh...no more swollen feeling.and bra getting tighter.thinking of getting a bra extension.if not,it's really tight,although i changed bra size 2 mths ago.getting fatter perhaps? :mellow:

Just a quick question - have any of you ladies experienced blocked milk ducts and/or mastitis? Any ways to prevent it, tips or advice?

I had a few nasty episodes of blocked ducts and near mastitis experience. Not pleasant, I tell you. Like how a friend put it, it felt like a car ran over her. and that was exactly how i felt. One fundamental rule in breastfeeding is to make sure you empty your breast at each feed (maybe leave the other for the next feed, depending on your feeding routine).

When your nipples are sore, there is a tendency not to empty the breasts due to the soreness. It helps alot to rub a little BM after the feed on the nipples to keep it moist and also, try to air your little friends for a while after each feed. Do not air for too long coz you might catch a cold. For some, applying nipple cream also helps retain/promote moisture.

It is important to understand that blocked duct and mastitis occur mainly because the milk flow has been obstructed. There are several reasons why this might have occured: irregular feeding time, wired bras (this happened to me once) causing pressure on the breasts, inadequate milk removal from the feedings.

google 'breast care breastfeeding' ,you should be able to find a wealth of info to read on the internet. Kellymom is a great source.

it' good to know that you read early to get yourself prepared. I wish I started earlier and not when I encountered the problems.

L&J,

emm, i also confusing now.. I think y i said small is because i didnt feel my breast 'bengkak' like 1st trimester or during period time. And if not feeling 'bengkak' and sensitive, i can see my breast sagging a bit(now i thinking back), frankly speaking the shape is not nice.

Where u attend the prenatal class ar? How much u need to pay?

Ok. Keep us update after u meet ur gynea. Thanks

eh...yalor...i also feel like u leh...no more swollen feeling.and bra getting tighter.thinking of getting a bra extension.if not,it's really tight,although i changed bra size 2 mths ago.getting fatter perhaps? :mellow:

Ya, really have to change our bra !!! otherwise can't breath anymore ! I change mine from time to time...cause if not, I get rib pain !!! which is very very suffer ! even I change my bra sizes still facing this problem !!!

hi L&J , BaoB,

I have changed my bra size 3 times alr.. Really costly le. So final 2 times, i decided to go for Scarlet brand. Cuz is much much more cheaper. Cuz i not sure can wear for how long le.. I bought Scarlet maternity panties too. It's cheap and nice to wear too.

Im looking for nursing bra now too. Any recommend?

Sorry for all ya if out of topic.. Haha!!