SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

hi L&J , BaoB,

I have changed my bra size 3 times alr.. Really costly le. So final 2 times, i decided to go for Scarlet brand. Cuz is much much more cheaper. Cuz i not sure can wear for how long le.. I bought Scarlet maternity panties too. It's cheap and nice to wear too.

Im looking for nursing bra now too. Any recommend?

Sorry for all ya if out of topic.. Haha!!

Ya, we really out of topic here ! but don't know how to move it to the suitable topic ??? hope others don't mind ! :tongue:

Oh how cheap is your "cheap" for Scarlet brand of maternity wear, beibei ???..I never bought that, so no idea ! I don't know how many time I change my bra size already ! don't want to count ! & panties too...before this, I like to wear low cut & semi-cut which is very small size ! my MIL lastime always say that is like kids wear !!! but when my 2nd trimester, I hardly fit into that ! I have to wear the big type ! grrr....like aunty or old people !!!

& I also thinking to buy nursing bra now ! just don't know which brand to choose ! the other day I saw Minoshe got the nursing bra with soft sponge cup but I not yet buy...I think sponge cup is better than no sponge in case sagging, hehe !

i bought Triumph nursing bra but just 2 pcs oni coz not sure of the quality and the size.but it's not padded lor...scared breasts feel tender and pain during the first few weeks.so i opt for the non-padded one first.dunno where to get padded ones tat are good and cheap leh.the Triumph one if i'm not mistaken,it's either RM34.90 or Rm43.90.can't really rmb the exact price.

Scarlet brand for maternity clothes is cheap.Dunno abt the bra and undies.Maybe i can go check it out :lol:

ok,back to breastfeeding...actually breastpump la...any mothers here know if buying the medela PISA from US is a good idea? it's definitely cheaper but i'm not sure if the warranty covers m'sia as well? do we have a service centre here ah for medela?

BaoB, L&J,

Scarlet bra that is bought only RM15 or RM29. Then the panties is only RM10 per 3 pcs. Somemore i got 15% discount during Jcard Day.

I think i ll prefer no sponge 1 for the nursing bra. I think ll be more easier for us to breast feed right?

About the breast pump, When is the right time to buy it? After confinement month? Or b4 give birth? If b4 give birth, how can we test it?

L&J, medela PISA is very expensive le.. Is out of my budget. :( I also dunno which brand to buy also. Headache. I read from this topic, many members keep upgrading their pump.. I think it quite wasting money.. If can, i would like to get the best and affortable price pump. No need to spend money again to upgrade the pump.

Heard that Ameda breast pump also good le.

bei bei,

i bought avent manual pump b4 i deliver my bb and it's better to have 1 breast pump ready. when i discharged from hospital on the 3rd day, my bb have to stay back as she was having jaudice.

Thus, i went back home and use the manual pump to stimulate for milk production. luckily i did. as when my bb discharge from hospital, i have enough milk for my bb.

then later, my friend lent her avent electric pump. thus, i had been using avent electric pump throughout the 2 mth maternity leave.

but when i'm back to work, the electric pump spoiled. n i have no choice use the manual pump while searching for double pump. b4 i can decide which double pump i want, i felt very comfortable using manual pump back and believe me, my bm able to increase abit further. mayb due to the fact that i'm able to empty my bm using manual pump.

hope this info able to help you.

MM,

Thanks for ur reply.

so i should standby the breast pump b4 give birth la..

How is Avent manual pump? Not tired meh if using manual? Avent got electric pump?

wah,scarlet is cheap.i shall go get some undies and nursing bra.

yeah,i was in a dilemma as well.i know medela PISA is VERY expensive.but seems like it's worth the investment.got the let-down phase...easier to get milk wor...

i was thinking either medela PISA or Ameda also...one thing about Ameda is that it has the close system whereby the EBM will not flow back,thus it's more hygienic and less risk of spora breeding in the tubes and all.and it's cheaper!!!

but in m'sia,it doesn't come with a bag and cooler pack.medela has.so if add in the cost,it's abt 1k.STILL cheaper than Medela.but then,the Ameda collection bottles are not BPA free.u got to buy some other brands lor.must make sure compatible la.Another thing i worry abt Ameda is the spare parts and warranty.since it's not very well known rite? US got sell with bag and also icepack cooler plus the latest one is BPA free bottles.sigh...everything in US. But if i were to get fr US,i wonder if the warranty and spare parts can get in M'sia.

Headache!

Therefore,I would like to know if Medela has a service centre in M'sia? So that I can be convinced of my choice.haha....But I guess it shud be easier to get spare parts and all as so many mothers are using Medela.If it's not easy to get,then how come so many mothers are using it?

Oh,i'm not sure abt the sound from motor though.any mothers know if Ameda is quieter than Medela PISA? Is Medela PISA noisy????

I dun dare to buy manual pump,scared hand tired or waste a lot of time then later need to upgrade.then ma waste money?

Personally, I think it is better to have a pump in hand once delivered coz in most cases, you might get engorged within 2 weeks.

But if you intend to breastfeed, do not use the pump as soon as the first few days if possible. Let bb suckle and practise on proper latching instead. Using a pump too early might lead to soreness, and that will affect your efforts to establish a good milk supply. For a beginner, a pump might be too harsh on you, especially when you try too hard. I learnt that mistake.

About upgrading of pumps, i guess tt's very individual. I'm one of those who upgraded. I had an electrical pump. But all along, my target to bf was 1 year and beyond, so the electrical pump I had was not very time efficient. Moreover I one of those unlucky ones who did have an issue with effective extraction of milk through pumping. I knew i had more milk, but my pump does not promote let-down very well. When I read about the 2phase technology that Medela had, I decided to give it go, for sanity sake. Thank god it worked for me. But I believe pumps are just like anything else, what works for you might not work for me. To each his own. If your first pump works for you, that's even better, money well spent :) For instance, i know someone who used a manual pump for over 15 months for her first child and now bf her 2nd one for over 5 months using the same pump. For me, my PISA worked out to be RM100+ per month if I bf for at least a year. I think tt's fairly reasonable :)

PISA not bought locally will not have its warranty covered by Lactaequip. They do charge a fee. Why not just call them up to see what are the charges like.

i bought Triumph nursing bra but just 2 pcs oni coz not sure of the quality and the size.but it's not padded lor...scared breasts feel tender and pain during the first few weeks.so i opt for the non-padded one first.dunno where to get padded ones tat are good and cheap leh.the Triumph one if i'm not mistaken,it's either RM34.90 or Rm43.90.can't really rmb the exact price.

Scarlet brand for maternity clothes is cheap.Dunno abt the bra and undies.Maybe i can go check it out :lol:

ok,back to breastfeeding...actually breastpump la...any mothers here know if buying the medela PISA from US is a good idea? it's definitely cheaper but i'm not sure if the warranty covers m'sia as well? do we have a service centre here ah for medela?

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think padded and non-padded bras make a difference to the pressure it exerts on your breasts. Padded bras provide smoother appearance under your tops. I think your concern should be wht you should get a wired or non-wired nursing bra. Breastfeeding advocates would recommend no underwires as it might promote blocked ducts, especially if you do not get the sizes correct. Your cup size tend to change a little during the course of your breastfeeding. The best alternative to underwires for support purposes are bras with good support straps and the band. for those who are well endowed, I would strongly suggest to get bras with good support. You may have to fork out quite a bit for good bras, but it does beat paying more later for any cosmetic uplift.

BaoB, L&J,

Scarlet bra that is bought only RM15 or RM29. Then the panties is only RM10 per 3 pcs. Somemore i got 15% discount during Jcard Day.

I think i ll prefer no sponge 1 for the nursing bra. I think ll be more easier for us to breast feed right?

About the breast pump, When is the right time to buy it? After confinement month? Or b4 give birth? If b4 give birth, how can we test it?

L&J, medela PISA is very expensive le.. Is out of my budget. :( I also dunno which brand to buy also. Headache. I read from this topic, many members keep upgrading their pump.. I think it quite wasting money.. If can, i would like to get the best and affortable price pump. No need to spend money again to upgrade the pump.

Heard that Ameda breast pump also good le.

ohh beibei, Scarlet brand so cheap kah ??? comfort to wear ? I bought some panties from sorella which also cheap, 3pcs at RM15..but that is not for maternity, just bigger size & comfort to wear..I ever bought the maternity sorella one but not comfortable at all !

Then for nursing bra, what I know is sorella & thriumph is without pad..and what I worry is if my breast not engorged then it is not nice to wear the one without pad ! cause my size is not that big and firm !

ya, for minoshe, the one I mentioned with pad is around RM70++..

& beibei, I also in dilema to buy breast pump ! I thought to buy b4 deliver but my HB scare I mb too painful to BF & might give up then waste $ so he think I should buy after deliver, mb during confinement if I able to BF then he'll go & buy ! but most mummies here get ready the thing b4 deliver so I don't know what should i do ?

If I going to buy, mb I'll buy the Avent brand ! don't think spend too much on the pump too cause if can, I just think to BF for 6 months !

Medela came out the latest twin pumps called Freestyle which is just merely 500+g in weight (portable motor) as compared to PISA which is 1+kg and the motor is attached to the bag & not removable. Freestyle is selling at RM1999 (promotion price) now. My HB just bought a Freestyle from US which only cost RM1300 including shipping & insurance. Since Medela does not provide international warranty, US units will not be entitled to warranty claim in Malaysia. I believe the quality of Medela should be good thus I bet the RM700 difference can justify for not having the warranty.

HI Bunnynwife,

did ur husband buy online or from a retail shop? how come so cheap? freestyle is more expensive than medela PISA leh...

Bumblebee, thank you so much for the advice! While the hospital here does provide consultation session on just breastfeeding alone (the government here is very pro-breastfeeding and insurance companies plus the state government actually subsidizes or pay women who breastfeed), I'd still like to be prepared and have been reading up on breastfeeding, particularly with breast care during breastfeeding, as much as I can since I don't have family here and that a lot of my friends are quite far away. Will definitely keep all your tips in mind.

I did read somewhere that ladies who are breastfeeding should be careful with padded bras as there is a tendency for leakage to occur and if you don't change your pads, it can lead to bacterial growth in the pads itself. Not a good idea if you're trying to avoid infections and etc.

Beibei, L& J and BaoBei, personally, I think it's better to have it BEFORE you deliver in case you need to express excess milk for storage. As Bumble mentioned, it's best to empty your breast after each feeding - I actually know of some women who have heaps of BM, so even though their baby is full, they express until empty, then keep it to feed their baby later. Expressing can also help with partner breastfeeding, meaning you alone don't have to feed your baby. Your HB can help out and etc. Even though I'm a SAHM (therefore got all the time in the world to breastfeed), I was advised by my cousins to get a breast pump before I deliver, just in case I have too much milk OR need to empty breasts to avoid mastitis or blocked ducts. But I won't use this like right after the delivery...maybe a few weeks after once my nipples have toughen up.

I read that one should not use the pump on sore nipples as nipples need some "action" in order for them to toughen up so must continue to breastfeed baby even though it's painful. The key is more into how the baby latches on.

So far, I've only seen people selling Avent brands of bottles and breast pump...I have friends who swear by the manual pump while some prefer the electric pump (coz can express more compared to manual). I was told by friends, and relatives who breastfeed (some are working women as well), that manual is better for them because they can express at the workplace and it's not so noisy compared to the electric pump. Plus it's portable, no cables and all that to deal with and it's also cheaper so less heartache when it breaks down. So I'll probably end up getting the manual pump even though the insurance is subsidizing half of the cost (I think - need to check with them).

I haven't even bought nursing bras - too soon for me...plus I can't seem to find them here in town. Need to travel a little further just to get maternity stuff and all. :/

wah,scarlet is cheap.i shall go get some undies and nursing bra.

yeah,i was in a dilemma as well.i know medela PISA is VERY expensive.but seems like it's worth the investment.got the let-down phase...easier to get milk wor...

i was thinking either medela PISA or Ameda also...one thing about Ameda is that it has the close system whereby the EBM will not flow back,thus it's more hygienic and less risk of spora breeding in the tubes and all.and it's cheaper!!!

but in m'sia,it doesn't come with a bag and cooler pack.medela has.so if add in the cost,it's abt 1k.STILL cheaper than Medela.but then,the Ameda collection bottles are not BPA free.u got to buy some other brands lor.must make sure compatible la.Another thing i worry abt Ameda is the spare parts and warranty.since it's not very well known rite? US got sell with bag and also icepack cooler plus the latest one is BPA free bottles.sigh...everything in US. But if i were to get fr US,i wonder if the warranty and spare parts can get in M'sia.

Headache!

Therefore,I would like to know if Medela has a service centre in M'sia? So that I can be convinced of my choice.haha....But I guess it shud be easier to get spare parts and all as so many mothers are using Medela.If it's not easy to get,then how come so many mothers are using it?

Oh,i'm not sure abt the sound from motor though.any mothers know if Ameda is quieter than Medela PISA? Is Medela PISA noisy????

I dun dare to buy manual pump,scared hand tired or waste a lot of time then later need to upgrade.then ma waste money?

there is a Medela service center in Ampany where u can repair ur breast pump. Last time my breast pump has no suck and release motion anymore and I brought it there for repair. They charged me RM10 or RM20 for cleaning the motor (milk goes in the motor and make it cannot move).

Below is the service center addr:

LACTAEQUIP MEDICAL (M) SDN BHD

Lot B - 2M, Jalan Selaman 1,

Dataran Palma Off Jalan Ampang,

68000 Ampang

Tel : 42701128

Are u a working mother? If yes, I advice u buy a manual pump rather than a electrical pump. I resume my work when my baby is 2.5 months. And too bad that I can't find a place in my office to extract BF. So I got to do it in toilet. The electric pump is very noisy and other staff are very curious what am I doing inside the toilet. They even tot that I'm indonesian cleaner who doing something inside the toilet! So I think a manual pump is much convenient.

HI Bunnynwife,

did ur husband buy online or from a retail shop? how come so cheap? freestyle is more expensive than medela PISA leh...

He got it from E-bay online shop. According to seller, the pump is still sealed in the box. Since it's covered under pay-pal insurance, if the good is not as per the description, we can always claim back our money. We just made the payment and the good should arrived by 1st week of March.

For those who intend to buy any electrical goods from US, please make sure the goods can be used in Msia i.e. can be used in 220/240voltage environment. Else you will need to get voltage convertor - very bulky and costly (over RM100).

I did read somewhere that ladies who are breastfeeding should be careful with padded bras as there is a tendency for leakage to occur and if you don't change your pads, it can lead to bacterial growth in the pads itself. Not a good idea if you're trying to avoid infections and etc.

Then I would suggest to use those removable breast pads specially designed for breastfeeding or leakage. Padded bras provide a smooth appearance rather than function as a tool to absorb the leakage. there are washable pads and disposable ones. Nevertheless, if you leak too much, your bras might still get wet, so it's best to change everyday for hygiene sake.

YeeYee,thanks for the contact on Lactaequip.i emailed them but the email add seems to be invalid.got my email back.

My office has a room specially for mothers to express BM.got fridge summore.so i guess it shud be ok.but is Medela PISA that noisy???

Bunnynwife,care to let me know the ebay seller? i thot all the US electrical products are not compatible wif m'sian voltage,therefore we need to buy a converter? my fren told me cheap cheap nia wor.yours leh? since u're buying from US vendor also.maybe u can let me know if the product is ok when u have it alr? i did think of freestyle but once i knew it was more expensive than medela PISA,i gave up that idea.

Bumble, yeah, disposable or removable pads...my only problem now is actually finding nursing bras. I usually go braless at home even now - my breasts haven't gone up all that big, just by one cup...so I just bought ONE maternity bra. I tried looking for nursing bras but so far, no luck. Gah.

L&J...

If the good can run on both 110 & 220/240 voltage, then it's just a matter of getting a universal adaptor (just few ringgit from ACE) to convert it into our typical 3pin. If the motor is only run on 110voltage, then susah lor. Kena buy the voltage convertor. So far Freestyle is running on 110 & 220/240 voltage, so it can be used in Msia together with the universal adaptor.

I will update you gals once I receive the pump...

Beibei, I think the newer models from Avent, Medela and so forth have the manual option in their electrical pumps. Maybe you can check out their websites (just google).

Bumble, yeah, disposable or removable pads...my only problem now is actually finding nursing bras. I usually go braless at home even now - my breasts haven't gone up all that big, just by one cup...so I just bought ONE maternity bra. I tried looking for nursing bras but so far, no luck. Gah.

This is speaking from my own experience only. I'm kinda well endowed, so going braless is not even an option to consider. I have tried many many brands for nursing bras in the market. The result, not very good especially when there are signs of sagging popping up. Underwires was also out coz it caused blocked ducts for me. So bout 3 mths back, I purchased nursing bras under the Bravado line. Expensive, but the best ever nursing bras I have ever come across. The best support that I have had for 1 year??? trust me, when u start seeing the sagging signs and worry that the effects of gravity is non-reversible, you'd be willing to fork out a little bit more to preserve whatever youth you have left. Thank god the exchange rate was in favour of RM at that time.

Beibei, I think the newer models from Avent, Medela and so forth have the manual option in their electrical pumps. Maybe you can check out their websites (just google).

Hi Mabel,

i believe the health care in Switz should be good. Before you folk out money to buy the breast pump, do check with your midwife about breastfeeding support after delivery. My electric double breast pump (hospital grade) was lent to me for free and i have been using it for 5 months now. BTW, i am in UK.

Bumble, yeah, I know what you mean by saggy (I still go braless at night...during the day, different story la)...the trouble with staying in a small town is that you're limited when it comes to shopping for things like this. It's as if women don't give birth here. =.= I haven't been able to find ONE store that stocks nursing bras...as for maternity bras, I just stick to the regular stuff but look out for things like wider straps and so forth. But don't fret...I do plan to get nursing bras...just having a tough time looking for them. Plus I don't know if my breasts are going to get bigger or what. =.=

Gunners, I did check and while hospitals do provide hospital grade breast pumps, they are usually for rent and if you wreck them, you have to pay for repairs and etc. It is actually most cost effective for me to just go out and get a simple breast pump. All the doc needs to do is write a prescription and my insurance covers half of the cost. Plus I plan to have more than just one kid so it's not all that bad. I did read somewhere that the state government gives some monetary compensation to women for breastfeeding but I'm not sure if it's just limited to Swiss citizens or available to expats/residents/permit holders.

meiteoh,

Thanks for ur info. Ll try to google out.. :)

yeeyee,

then dip in your milk supply is temporary only. that happens to me each time i have my period. after your period clears, it'll go back up again, so dont worry, meanwhile, just make sure you drink more water & rest as well.

agree with Bumblebee about upgrading of pumps. i am also another one who upgraded to double pump (Medela PISA) & have no regrets. manual or electric, is up to personal preference.

as for noise level, i dare say PISA is not noisy. just a bit of hissing sound, that's all. i pump at my cubicle & most of the time nobody knows what i am doing.

beibei,

my PISA is convertable to battery pumping & manual pump. hope this helps.

bunnywife,

~drool~ oh my god, you got yourself a Freestyle? that's so nice leh.....when i bought PISA that time, Freestyle is not out yet, if not...... *grin*