SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

ogosdream,

ya, dont be too stress. EBM is still your milk, so no difference.

LC can help to find the root of your problem . they are qualified professionals but people like me are just second guessing :p!

apart from milk tea, have you tried oats & fenugreek tablets? some say the fenugreek tablet works much better then milk tea. another thing to take note is, have you got your period back yet? some women will face low supply when they have their period (i face this problem every month, 1 week before my period & during period :s).

Will PM you the contacts.

Just for sharing.. My frined did encounter milk supply problem when she was streessed up in work. She went to see Dr. Koe, certified lactation c/w pediatrician.. Dr. precribe her with some table.. after tat she is ok till now.. Still bf her son 1year++.. :)

Dr. Koe clinic is in Old Klang Road, any1 interested, can PM me for detail..

Yup.. i heard oat can boost up milk supply.. not sure true or not, but i drink oat daily for b'fast..

Hi all,

Wanna ask does the frequency of breastfeeding reduce as your baby get older?

Also, if i'm goin out can i feed baby with FM when return home only feed him with BF ? Is that possible will my BF stop or interrupted if i skip BF for eg :6 hours?

Thanks!

hi, i'm a new mother and i need some advise from the experiencied mummies here. i am currently breastfeeding and pumping my breast regularly and my problem is that i will be travelling to china for a week. pls advise how am i able to transfer back my breast milk when i come back? also the procedures in detail, for example whether we are allowed to hand carry the breastmilk storages or we need to check in. any tips will be appreciated. thanks!

MM,

You were away for outstation assignment for very long? From what you described, sounds like she's used to the easy way of taking milk aka milk bottle.

1) What type of teat were you using? Slow or medium or fast?

- It is very important to stick to slowest teat as long as possible cos our milk flow is slow compare to bottle. Could it be she's used to faster milk flow?

2) While you were away, she was fed with EBM or FM?

- If she was fed with FM, possible she's used to FM, that's why she rejected EBM?

I am firing blanks in the air cos dont know the real situation here. Meanwhile KEEP ON PUMPING to maintain your supply & we'll try to work around this problem. What I can suggest is :-

1) Try to nurse her when she's sleepy. Some babies are more willing to nurse when they are sleepy.

2) Try to nurse while walking. The motion might help.

3) Create more chance for extra cuddling & skin to skin contact. If possible, go topless & let baby lie on your chest so that she can smell you & feel close to you.

4) Nurse in a quiet, darken room

5) Any possibility of avoiding bottle feeding? You can feed the baby your milk with a cup, eye-dropper, feeding syringe, or spoon (I know it's a slim chance but just a suggestion)

Useful links with tips - here & here.

PM me for professional help. GOOD LUCK!!!

dear Janicelly,

thanks for ur advise.... in fact, until i still can't figure out what happen. sometime my bb drink. sometime she don want. she get frustrated until she scream (my neighbour even asked me what happen to my bb as they able to hear my bb screaming). i really really out of clue.... i donno what to do.

MM,

Can't tell what's the problem exactly.. but if you do need professional help, you can contact;

1) Gina Yong - she conduct bf talk full time. She does gives home visit at RM100/hr. hp: 012-2122 387

2) Jenniffer - tell her you got the no from Patricia from Kelana Jaya. Speak to her see what service she can help you.

Hope you settle your problem soon...

thanks for the advice and contact ..... i'll contact them... i really helpless....

MM,

I thk you better go consult Dr. Koe (Old Klang Road) if you can. She is a certified lactation c/w pediatrician. She is a very nice Dr. She called up to follow up with me as I have bf problem initially. PM me for detail if you are interested.

Just to share with you. My bb now 3mth, but bf exclusively. He started to reject bm in bottle. Either Cry badly or use his tougue to push out the bm. Hard to feed. Looks like dun't want milk!

I have consulted my friend, she told me her son was like tat before. It looks like it's bb patern in certain mth..

You try to lie her down to bed and feed. Sometimes they drinks.. and try to chat with her while feeding. Sometimes they tends to forgot and drinks :) Really lots of patern you need to try it out..

If you really helpless, go consult Dr. Koe. She is really a good Dr.

sywiser,

I've heard of Dr Koe too :).

As for oats, I think it'll respond to different people differently but it's healthy stuff, no harm taking it also. I seldom take cos I dont like the taste, usually will add to my drinks instead.

simone,

When baby is older, they can last longer between feedings (3-4 hours) compare to when they are newborns which can be up to hourly.

Why do you wanna feed FM when you are out? Is it becos there's no place to nurse & you are afraid of nursing in public?Even if you dont nurse your baby, you still need to express out your milk. Wont that be even more hassle? Skipping 1 or 2 feeds wont immediately cause your supply to drop but you might feel very uncomfortable cos will be engorged & you might leak too BUT if you do it constantly, your supply will drop. Always remember DEMAND = SUPPLY. If you dont nurse & you dont express, your body will "think" it dont need to produce so much.

changmwei,

I think you still can bring them back but you'll need to know how to pack them properly. Since 1 week worth of supply is quite a lot, use milk bags instead of milk bottles to save space (double bag in case of leakage - safety precaution). When you bring them back, use dry ice (they can last longer). If you dont wanna lug a cooler box over, maybe you can buy it there? Another thing is I dont think you can treat the EBM as hand luggage cos like I said earlier, the qty will be too much. You will have to check it in so I feel dry ice & a solid cooler box is very very important.

2nd option will be courier it back (in case of flight delays or missing luggage).

If the above options are not available, you will have to pump & dump :(. Although it's very wasted, that's the only way you can maintain your supply.

As for rules & regulation, you better check with the airline you are travelling with cos they might have different policies?

I have never been away from my baby for that long, so what I posted is what I feel is logical. Hopefully, other mommies with more travelling experience might be able to help you.

Good luck!

MickeyMouse,

I've PMed you some contacts too. Good luck!

janicelly

Ya i think i will feel shy to BF outside at the mall . Dunno how should i cope with this :blush:

Oh No, BF mum must feed the baby at certain hour or else pump out the milk uhuhu..

Wanna ask when i pump out the milk.. how do u all store them ? Can keep at room temp? Or must in fridge?

If store in fridge, how to thaw the milk?

Thanks!

MM,

I thk you better go consult Dr. Koe (Old Klang Road) if you can. She is a certified lactation c/w pediatrician. She is a very nice Dr. She called up to follow up with me as I have bf problem initially. PM me for detail if you are interested.

Just to share with you. My bb now 3mth, but bf exclusively. He started to reject bm in bottle. Either Cry badly or use his tougue to push out the bm. Hard to feed. Looks like dun't want milk!

I have consulted my friend, she told me her son was like tat before. It looks like it's bb patern in certain mth..

You try to lie her down to bed and feed. Sometimes they drinks.. and try to chat with her while feeding. Sometimes they tends to forgot and drinks :) Really lots of patern you need to try it out..

If you really helpless, go consult Dr. Koe. She is really a good Dr.

dear sywise,

thanks. will try to get my bb to see Dr Koe. when u said, trying lots of pattern of feeding, it really hit my mind. that's what i'm encountering. i'm so tired and helpless in trying to figure out what happen to her. believe me, i'm gonna went crazy any time now.

my bb now 4th mth. i had been breastfeed my bb completely. but for the past 4 weeks, she making all of us crazy. every week different pattern.

1st week, reject my nipple totally. only accept bm from bottle only

2nd week, reject bm totally. only accept bm plus formula inside.

3rd week, reject to drink. whether bm or bm+ formula. all don want. only drink when walking around. if ever sit down during the feeding, she'll cry and use her tongue to kick the the bottle teat.

4th week, reject the bottle totally. only accept my nipple back.

now, reject nipple n bottle.... not even walking or laying down. as if, the moment i put the nipple or bottle teat into her mouth, she SCREAM.... gosh... i really wish i know what's all her scream bout.

dear janicelly,

thanks for the contact. will bring my bb to see them. just pray very hard that someone can tell me what happen to my bb. i really exhausted.

MM,

Dun't be too panic. Baby has lots of different patern. As long as they din't cry continuously, think they are fine.

You got to be very patient and calm. Try patting her, sing her song, etc while feeding.. I'm also learning :) I got panic too last week and thought it was becouse bb colid till can't drink milk. But it was wrong.. My friend said after some time, bb will drink back.. So no worries.. just got to be patient and make sure everything is fine with her :)

Cool down...

Have you try feed her while she is sleeping? My boy drink well while he is sleeping..

MM,

Dun't be too panic. Baby has lots of different patern. As long as they din't cry continuously, think they are fine.

You got to be very patient and calm. Try patting her, sing her song, etc while feeding.. I'm also learning :) I got panic too last week and thought it was becouse bb colid till can't drink milk. But it was wrong.. My friend said after some time, bb will drink back.. So no worries.. just got to be patient and make sure everything is fine with her :)

Cool down...

Have you try feed her while she is sleeping? My boy drink well while he is sleeping..

dear sywiser,

yeah... remind me of colic.... last 3 months, i'm struggling through this colic problem. tot everything gonna end when my bb turn 4 mths. i juz donno what lies ahead of me now.

i talked to her while i tried to feed her. sometime it worked. sometime my bb juz scream. only stop when we stop feeding her n put her down.

yeah. i tried feed her while she's sleeping. we tried to feed her this morning at 4am. but then, my bb cried. rejecting both the bottle or nipple. but when i tried again at 5.30am, she drank without any cry.

now, frankly speaking, i really scare of feeding her. everytime i pick her up, i tell her softly, kwai kwai n drink mummy milk pleaseeeee. n while feeding, i almost like praying hard to god, plz let my bb drink abit more. n don cry please.

MM,

wait... you feed her when she cry for milk / based on timing? She might not be hungry if you based on timing. Bb can tahan bit longer while they are sleeping.. Just wait till she cry for milk. You can justify by looking at her mouth.. When she is hungry, her mouth keep 'jiap jiap jiap' like tat.. then you offer milk..

I also tired waking up during mid-nite. My bb still asking for milk every 3hrs and still suffer colid. I like waking up every hr coz he cry for wind ler :(

If Dr. have checked and siad everything is fine.. (no sore throat, no ear infection etc), then you got to bare for a period.. After few days/weeks, they will change to next patern again.. :) Tat's y mom is so 'wei da' ma...

MM,

wat... you feed her when she cry for milk / based on timing? She might not be hungry if you based on timing. Bb can tahan bit longer while they are sleeping.. Just wait till she cry for milk. You can justify by looking at her mouth.. When she is hungry, her mouth keep 'jiap jiap jiap' like tat.. then you offer milk..

I also tired waking up during mid-nite. My bb still asking for milk every 3hrs and still suffer colid. I like waking up every hr coz he cry for wind ler :(

If Dr. have checked and siad everything is fine.. (no sore throat, no ear infection etc), then you got to bare for a period.. After few days/weeks, they will change to next patern again.. :) Tat's y mom is so 'wei da' ma...

actually i fed her on demand. she used to give us the 'warning' sign. like what u said, jiap jiap jiap. n when she super 'kwai' time, the moment i pick her up, i told her 'nen nen lai', she will open her little mouth, waiting for me to put either nipple or bottle teat. n start to suck. i really missed this 'kwai kwai' feeding section. when she tried to tell us she want milk, in fact, she doesn't cry for milk. she's more like 'eh eh eh'. then 5 minutes later, if there's no milk offered to her, then another 'eh eh eh'.... if times drag too long, then only she start to cry.

but these days, she can drag until 6 hours, not drinking any milk at all which really freak me out what happen. worried sick that she might starve. sometime whole day, only drank not more than 3 oz. but once changed to what she need, then she can finish 4oz almost in 10 minute time. and ask for milk every hour. i'm tired of these guessing turtores. i donno how to let go all the worries.

gosh... colid? really have to tahan... 4th mth onwards, my bb is much better. 1 more month to go, then u are free from colic problem. :) time fly like rocket.

all these problem, is it only applied to breastfeed bb only? i asked my SIL. she didn't encounter this problem when she fed formula to my nephew. anyhow, thanks for you all supports. really appreciated that.

my baby who is going to 6 mths old also wants my MIL to carry her to somewhere that she wants, otherwise she will reject to drink milk. She even not allowed my MIL to sit down when feeding her.

When I bring her home, I just feed her directly. Normally only myself and her inside the room, and only the nite light is turn on. Otherwise she will keep on turning herself to lay on her tummy and start looking around. I think she is quite curious .. so it's not easy to feed her.

MM, do ur baby teething now? since he is rejected nipple and teat. Some baby might has early teething as early as 4 mths old. If she is teething , the teat might make her gum painful and hence she is rejecting it.

Do ur baby hungry when u feed him? Maybe u can wait until he cry for milk then only feed him. Once he is hungry he will drink milk rather than reject..

Could the colic be due to something that you ate (if it's BF that you're feeding la)? If it's FM and the baby is colicky, maybe it's an allergy to the formula. :S

simone,

there are baby / nursing rooms in most mall. it's very convenient! if you are dress appropriately, even if your nurse in public also people cant see a thing. from far, it will look like you are carrying baby close to your chest. if you still shy, can always use something to cover - nursing cover or even a scarf or pashimina. there is nothing to be ashamed of - you are doing the most natural & best thing in the world!

if you are nursing baby, there's no need to look at the clock, just feed on demand. for pumping pulak, when you are away from baby (eg back to work), try to pump at least 3 times. if not away but your baby miss a feed, you must pump to maintain your supply.

you need to store your pumped milk in a cooler or fridge as our country's temperature is quite hot. our milk turns rancid quite fast. in room temperature, i think max 4 hours.

if it's in the fridge, you just warm the milk, no need thaw. if it's frozen, you take down the milk to thaw overnight in the fridge (eg : if you need to use tomorrow, you take down from the fridge tonight).

do try to read this thread from beginning cos i think i posted some links & tips on milk storing & thawing.

Mickey Mouse,

~hugs~ dont give up!!!

i agree with yeeyee, any possibilities that your baby is teething? my gal will refused to drink milk from bottle when she's teething (my babysitter just informed me yesterday she's refusing bottle again these few days) but she still wanna nurse from me la. try not to force her to drink from bottle or from you. you can offer but if she refused, dont push it. if you keep forcing her, she will reject even further! try to cup/spoon/syringe feed her instead. my babysitter have been spoon feeding these few days, aih.

try other nursing positions - football hold or even "sit" her on your lap with her body facing you & let her nurse in this position.

how is her diaper count? when you are worried that she's not taking enough etc, go back to the basics. COUNT YOUR DIAPERS!!! if her diaper count is ok, that means she have adequate intake & you dont have to be so worried.

meiteoh raised a good point too - have yout taken any new food lately? or any strong smelled food (eg petai, durian)? what about your fish intake? did you take a lot? i just heard from another mommy yesterday one of her friend's baby refused to nurse or take EBM bcos she took too much fish (milk have fishy smell).

if you still feel uneasy, go & consult Dr Koe. actually i PMed her contact to you too.

GAMBATE!!!!

my baby refuses to suck directly from my breasts... he cries and very impatient... so I express my breastmilk for him... at first, its very little... its all yellowish and thick which I believe is colostrum... at my 7th day the colostrum finishes and right now its all whitish and more liquid kinda breastmilk... at first I managed to pump only 10ml... then subsequently 15ml... today (my 8th day) I managed to pump 30ml... I am very happy... though its not much but I feel its an achievement... many ppl told me tat if I pump breastmilk, my supply will be gone soon... I really hope its not true as I heard many ppl pump their breastmilk and still have supply for quite long... I really feel like a failure when my baby refuses to suck no matter how I tried (I sweat like a stuck pig when I coax him to suck)... I really feel so depressed and disappointed with myself and I told my hubby this is my first failure as a mommy... :sad:

Angie, could it be a latch-on problem? Or let-down?

Hey, don't think that you're a failure! Mummies aren't made naturally! It comes with experience and this is your first baby! So never EVER think that you're a failure! It'll affect your attitude towards BF and indirectly feed other people's negativity!

Hi everyone,

Congrats to babysiew for your arrival of little bundle of joy! :wub:

I would like to share my 4months BF journey with u all. And yes, breastfeeding is a nightmare to many first time mother like us. :girl_devil: Maestri is 4months old now and still a 100% breastfeed baby. :smile:

I am blessed cos he sucks quite well. I guess the main reason is I requested to breastfeed him right after the delivery (before the midwive took him away for shower). Although it is a less than 5minutes sucking, but I feel the bonding between us start from the second his soft lips touches my breast. I cried!! So touching!!! :rolleyes:

During my confinement month, as many confinement ladies practice, my aunty keep urging me to rest rest rest rest rest. She keeps saying I should let my back rest, eye rest, lie down most of the time. Even I told her I would want to 100% breastfeed my baby (even midnight), sometimes she'll still make FM for Maestri when she see me sleeping. It happened twice, and I woke up due to engorgement. Gosh, I was so angry that I really mad at her and say: please, u r not making my life easier like that... :angry:

So after that incident, she'll wake me up no matter what time it is, cause she knows I REALLY WANT TO BREASTFEED MY BABY!!!!

If you ask me why don't I express my BM? cos I am lazy, and I prefer the bonding between baby and me. :blush::wub:

My supply was really low in the first couple of weeks. I drink so much of red dates water but not much help. Maestri seems impatient to suck sometimes. And I feel sorry when I see him suck so hard and so long for so little of milk. :sad:

My aunty say this to me and it depress me more -> Mestri still look so tiny even almost fullmoon. This statement really break my heart. I felt all my effort has gone down to drain. She even say most likely my BM can only tahan until fullmoon since the supply so low.

After my confinement period, I still drink lots of fluid everyday. Now 4months down the road, Maestri is a chubby baby. He is 7.5kg @ 4months 1 week. Doctor commented his weight is above average. Friend around even ask if my baby is overweight? I told them "doctor said breastfeed baby cannot go overweight" :cool::whistling:

This is my experience and I hope all mummies here don't give up BF cos that is the BEST gift GOD granted a mom to her child. :smile:

hugs and love,

cheers~ :cheers:

Angie,

Dun't give up! I was like that initially. Only can express 1Oz, 1.5Oz... and my bb also frustrated / impatient to latch on + all those negative 'phases' from my mom and Confinment Lady! e.g "your bb not enough milk la, bm not the best la, etc etc.." Make me so depress and cry daily during the 1st two weeks :( my hb so worry that time, she even called up my sister in Johor asking for help.. saying i'm gona to become postnatal blue.

My bm eventually on comes about 2weeks time... So be patient.. Till now, I was bless with abundant of bm!

I have no choice as my son rejected to suck direct. So I express out and let him drink.. Very troublesome and needs lot of energy.. Out of sudden, during 2nd mth onwards, my son wanted my breast back! I was so happy :) But a bit afraid to let him direct latch on also, as my nipple always got crack and bleed! I believe is because I changed to MAM bottle + the MAM teats design that make my son go back to my breast.

Till now, JunHae 3rd mth, I let him latch on night time coz I lazy to wake up to wash bottle..

But recently, he dun’t want bm in bottle pula.. make my bbsitter complain a lot.. got to go back consult Dr. Koe again…

You just be patient, needs time to adjust.. for you and baby. Just bare in mind, forever dun’t think that your milk supply is not enough, it’s God’s give for us, as mommies to feed out baby with breast milk!

The trouble with all these people is that they think BM comes immediately when the baby is born! Hello, we are not cows whereby the milk is immediate or there already (even though it can feel like it)! Eesh.

If my mum were to complain during the confinement, I'll give her a piece of my mind man. =.=

Breastfeeding requires a very high level of commitment from the mother - and I feel most people are unaware of this.

It takes the patience and perseverance of a saint, and the pain tolerance of a masochistic person to successfully establish a milk supply good enough for exclusive feeding.

I agree with meiteoh - most women (our mothers especially since most of them did not breastfeed) think all they need to do is strip off the blouse, fiddle around with the nipples slightly, and milk will come shooting out. If only it was that simple!

Which is why I think, women should be aware of the realities of breastfeeding. The phrase 'no pain no gain' rings true.

While breastfeeding does promote bonding, there will be times when you get up at 3 am for the 80th consecutive night and think to yourself - When is this ever going to stop??? :) This does not make us bad mothers.....just a very tired one!

Dear Mei Teoh, Janicelly, yee yee, sywiser

i didn't change my food intake these days. in fact, i had been maintained a very strict meal intake since i start bf. esp the first 3 month when my bb was having terrible colic prob. after series of trial and error, taking out all the sensitive food which will cause colic to my little bb, my food still the same from day 1 until now. (sign. i hate eating the same old food over n over again. but for the sake of my bb, esp when she cried due to colic prob, i think having same meal is way better to let my bb suffer due to the colic which caused by my food intake). since my bb turn 3 mth old, she hardly go through the miserable 5pm-10pm colic prob anymore.

i took my bb to see my doc. to check whether my bb is having teething prob. but my doc said it's not teething. my bb perfectly fine... no problem at all. even she can't figure out what happen to my bb...

my bb now. only drink 2 times for whole days. gosh.... she getting us crazy. sometime reject nipple, sometime she want nipple. sometime she want bottle instead. n even direct bf my bb, i changed lots of position. n until the latest version is football hold, n walking around at the same time. my hand n my back is terrible pain now.

diaper count, hmmm... this i really donno how to count. i will only change her diaper when it's really fully wet (can feel very heavy). i think 1 days, i changed 2-3 times.