103 replies to this topic

#31 healthwise

healthwise

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:02 AM

aiyah! so busy this whole week i got no time to post a long message. Anyway talking abt supplements/foods to be taken during pregnancy. Chinese believe that taking soya is good for u when u r pregnant-makes your baby skin smooth, fair and beautiful. Truth or myth? Well, if the gynae confirmed that yr babe is a girl, then you can eat any soya based products. But if it is a boy, pls stay away from eating too much soya. Reason being, soya is very high in phytoestrogen which is a form of female hormone. That is why it gives yr babe a better complexion. But excessive consumption can caused a spike in estrogen hormones in baby boys, making them a bit sissy later on bcos their female hormones is higher than their male hormones.

#32 cadbury

cadbury

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

I have something to share on multi-vitamins brand at my blog. Please feel free to visit. biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Cadbury
(http://www.cadburyhome.blogspot.com)

#33 meiteoh

meiteoh

Precious Princess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,363 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

I was taking Obimin as well and found it quite easy on the palate actually - not to mention cheap. XD

#34 jocelyn

jocelyn

Lovely Lady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Dear mums,

Yes, supplements do helps. I took Nutrilite Protein Powder every morning during my pregnancy. Mix with positrim to make it more tastier. I also took Bio-C, Lecithin E, Iron Folic, Calcium Magnesium. So, my baby is a Nutrilite baby. My son not getting fever after injection. He is very healthy. His appetite is good. His body is solid. Well, I feel happy to have a healthy baby.

#35 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

After reading the posts here...I saw that there are quite some concerns on taking bird's nest during pregnancy. I for one do not believe in bird's nest...it's just the saliva of swifts. Anyway, I think there is an explanation on why some babies whose mommies take bird's nest frequently, get allergies. Have you seen the emails circulating around showing the processing of bird's nest? There are a lot of chemicals used, some for cleaning the bird's nest, some to dissolve the feathers and dirt, some to bleach and sometimes red dye is used to make the bird's nest look like they're tinted with blood, so that they can fetch a higher price in the market! What we really want is the protein in the bird's nest, and at 50% to 60% protein content, it is considered high. Add chemicals like bleach and red dye on top of the high price, I say it's simply not worth it.

I am getting myself ready to conceive *blush*...maybe start trying end of this year...and I am already making sure I eat right and supplement with vitamins and minerals. I believe in researching when it comes to something as important as this...I want to make sure what goes into my body and my baby's is safe. Been attending a lot of health talks, now I am a certified wellness planner...haha...and I welcome PMs on this topic. Be safe people! smile.gif

#36 joycecross

joycecross

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

Dear MsLim,

Since you have attended a lot of health talks and done research, maybe you can share with us here (rather than just PM)... on what supplements/vitamins or what's not for those TTC and those pregnant...

Am sure a lot of us would love to know...

Thanks in advance...

#37 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Umm....ok...but what's TTC? smile.gif

#38 joycecross

joycecross

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

TTC = Trying to conceive

#39 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Oh ok. smile.gif Will do it tomorrow....now at work rushing for a deadline....keep tuned!

#40 summerbaby

summerbaby

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (lilyrosey @ Jan 30 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there any fruits that cannot be taken during pregnancy?

dr told me not to eat pineapple, watermelon is ok when 5 months above but not too much.

#41 Escudo

Escudo

Vivacious Viscountess

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi healthwise, may I know what supplements were you taking during your 3rd pregnancy?

QUOTE (healthwise @ Jan 22 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last one at age 36 - which is considered not so good becos the quality of yr oocytes deteriorate as you aged. Just think of this like the eggs you buy from the market. The fresher the eggs, the better outcome you get example when baking cakes. But if you get not so fresh eggs, you get rotten results too. So i started taking supplements religiously, take better care of my food and breastfed the kid for 2 years. Results now? Health wise- very strong immune system, hardly see western doctors from birth till now which can be quite difficult becos she never learned how to take doctor's medication. If and when she got fever, we had to use rectal suppositories. I can say this little fellow is smarter than the 1st one based on their intellectual developments. At age 5, she explained to her 8 year old cousin what the word "mocking" means. I was flabbergasted! She reads dictionary when sitting in her potty. Reads newspaper, goes to YouTube to search for her favorite shows and got "student of the year award" from the kinddy she went to last year.

So there you have it! I think supplements and breast feeding definitely help a lot in the baby's mental and physical developments.

#42 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hi all,

As promised, here are some nutrition tips for pregnant mothers. I have gathered these info from my readings and from the experience of those around me.

Folic acid is possibly the most important nutrients for a pregnant mother and also ladies who are trying to get pregnant. This is to prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida. Vitamin C is important for collagen synthesis, which is the 'cement' that hold cell together. Calcium and magnesium is important for bone development among others. Mothers also need these nutrients to ensure that the baby doesn't 'steal' calcium from her bones, increasing the risk of osteoporosis later in life and also hair loss and tooth decay after giving birth (familiar complaints? Aha!).

Protein is vital for cell growth and ensuring all organs are developed properly. Vitamin E is also recommended to reduce the chances of high blood pressure in mothers and also the occurance of premature birth. Vitamin A or in its more natural and safer form of beta carotene will support the development of the baby especially the eyes and mucous linings. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential for brain development especially, but reduce your intake of this nutrient nearer to your due date to reduce risk of your blood not clotting after giving birth! This is because omega 3 thins the blood.

#43 Berry08

Berry08

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

Overdose of some, like Vitamin A or Iron is dangerous.. that's what my gynae told me. She let me did a blood test in order to find out what kind of supplements that I should take.
I strongly believe that mother's age plays a big role in the 'quality' of the baby.. but nowadays, a lot of us married late and have child late.. I am also near to 35 liao... a bit worry.

#44 Escudo

Escudo

Vivacious Viscountess

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

My MIL gave birth to my hb when she was 40++ years old, all turns out okay also, only maybe a bit of deficiancy like extra naughty, extra noisy, heheheh (joking lah!)

My hb was a bright child with bright results, and according to MIL was very "guai".

So I really dun believe about the age part looh....

#45 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

Sorry if my message earlier ended a little abruptly....had to log off suddenly due to maintenance works in the office.

Anyway, to continue....B vitamins are also very important for the mother and baby. The B vitamins are especially important for the normal development of the nervous system, among others. They also lower the risk of the mother getting pregnancy-related problems especially aches and pains.

Finally, a multivitamin for trace minerals are crucial not only for pregnant mothers but for all of us. These minerals are needed in small amounts but are very important for the normal development of the baby.

Sometimes we say, our mothers didn't take supplements and we turned out ok. Well, times have changed. We are taking more and more processed food now, eating out more and more often (with our hectic schedules, who has time to cook??), and even when we do cook, the vegetables and meat we cosumed are basically polluted with pesticides, growth hormones and who knows what else. To supplement the lack of nutrition in our food and to rectify the problems caused by processed and pesticide-ridden food, it is no wonder we are turning to food supplements.

Still, bear in mind that not all food supplements are safe. Some really do more harm than good! My first priority...KYS...Know Your Supplier....find out where the products are manufactured, whether they just buy from other suppliers and stick a label to claim it as theirs, or do they actually manufacture the product themselves? It would be great if they even plant the raw materials themselves to ensure the highest levels of safety (Pan Pharmaceuticals, anyone?). Ensure you are not overdoing it...it's important to take a balance variety of nutrients but in optimal quantities. Review the history of the manufacturer, how reputable and reliable are they? Are the products certified organic? If you start asking questions and the person who is selling to you tells you these information are P&C....I say take your money somewhere else.

I don't believe in 'pantang' when it comes to food, eat whatever you want but in moderation. Do some light exercise like yoga and swimming, drink plenty of clean mineral water (RO & distilled water is a big NO-NO), make sure you get plenty of rest and know how to manage your stress, most importantly, have a positive mental attitude and be happy! smile.gif

I attend health talks in PJ every Saturday morning by the President of the Association of Complementary Health Malaysia, anyone interested can PM me. smile.gif

#46 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Berry08 @ May 9 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overdose of some, like Vitamin A or Iron is dangerous.. that's what my gynae told me. She let me did a blood test in order to find out what kind of supplements that I should take.
I strongly believe that mother's age plays a big role in the 'quality' of the baby.. but nowadays, a lot of us married late and have child late.. I am also near to 35 liao... a bit worry.

Overdosing vitamin A and iron is dangerous, only if you take it in its pure form. A safer alternative to vitamin A is beta carotene or better still, a wider spectrum of carotenoids. For iron supplement, make sure the source is natural e.g. from spinach. The best is to take supplements made from plant concentrates, such as those patented by Nutrilite. You guys can check it out online (www.nutrilite.com) or read it in this month's Reader Digest (Most Trusted Brand award list) for more info.

'Quality' of the baby depends on mother's age is true to some extent; as a woman's age increase; so is the chances of her bearing a child with Down Syndrome and other birth defects. It is also more difficult to get pregnant later in life, and there are other risks as well like miscarriage and chronic health problems. However, with the advancement in technology and the availibility of good quality supplements in the market, these problems now have solutions. smile.gif Good luck!

#47 Berry08

Berry08

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Escudo @ May 9 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My MIL gave birth to my hb when she was 40++ years old, all turns out okay also, only maybe a bit of deficiancy like extra naughty, extra noisy, heheheh (joking lah!)

My hb was a bright child with bright results, and according to MIL was very "guai".

So I really dun believe about the age part looh....

Please dont misunderstand, I don't mean to say that all baby will be not so smart or naughty, I remember I had a uni-mate who was an award student, his mother deliver him when she was 40 +. There are other factors that involve like genetic, nutritions, etc. I was kind of agree on what Ms Lim mentioned earlier in this thread about the age of mother.

#48 janicelly

janicelly

Classy Countess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (MsLim @ May 9 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe in 'pantang' when it comes to food, eat whatever you want but in moderation. Do some light exercise like yoga and swimming, drink plenty of clean mineral water (RO & distilled water is a big NO-NO), make sure you get plenty of rest and know how to manage your stress, most importantly, have a positive mental attitude and be happy! smile.gif

MsLim,

Can you elaborate on the water thingy? Why RO & distilled water is a big NO-NO?

Thanks!

#49 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

RO and distilled water are basically 'empty' water.....they do not contain any minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus which are essential to our health....and for a pregnant mother, these minerals help in the normal development of her baby. Drinking RO or distilled water will actually 'rob' your body of these minerals found in your bones.....imagine if you are pregnant and perhaps not taking mineral supplements....the demand is high from the baby and the water that you drink! WHO has advised against drinking RO water...I think we should follow this advice unless you are on medication which may react to the minerals in the water.....but only specific medication. China also banned RO water at one time when it was found that children being fed RO water (premium water at that time) are more prone to reduction in bone density....at one time many children in the ages of 5-7 yrs had this problem....it was finally traced back to RO water. Old people are also disadvantaged....they really need the minerals in the water to ensure that their bones and joints stay healthy. So, choose your water treatment system wisely. smile.gif

#50 janicelly

janicelly

Classy Countess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

MsLim,

thanks for your explaination. *sigh* i have RO water filter system at home. maybe it's time to change *sigh*

#51 bumblebee

bumblebee

Classy Countess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

I have been taking Obimin prenatal and still is, for post natal coz i'm breastfeeding. I did take pramilet for a while but I checked with my gynae and he said both pramilet and obimin have a healthy mix of the vits and are almost equivalent. So i just stick with obimin since it's cheaper.

#52 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (bumblebee @ May 13 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been taking Obimin prenatal and still is, for post natal coz i'm breastfeeding. I did take pramilet for a while but I checked with my gynae and he said both pramilet and obimin have a healthy mix of the vits and are almost equivalent. So i just stick with obimin since it's cheaper.

Obimin or pramilet will fulfill the BASIC nutritional needs of a pregnant mother. Almost every pregnant mother take them....because almost every doctor recommends them....but for optimal results, do consider a more complete nutritional plan. smile.gif Take some time to talk to mothers who supplement....trust me.....there is a difference.

#53 bumblebee

bumblebee

Classy Countess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (MsLim @ May 13 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bumblebee @ May 13 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obimin or pramilet will fulfill the BASIC nutritional needs of a pregnant mother. Almost every pregnant mother take them....because almost every doctor recommends them....but for optimal results, do consider a more complete nutritional plan. smile.gif Take some time to talk to mothers who supplement....trust me.....there is a difference.

Yes, I agree, it is important to have a proper diet before, throughout AND after pregnancy (especially if we breastfeed). Obimin and Pramilet are supplements. Anyway, if a pregnant mother is also going for routine checkups at govt clinics, you are prescribed these basic supplements too.

#54 father

father

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Currently my wife taking Obimin, Folic Acid and also Caltrade Calcium + Vit D....
Taking Lo Hong Ka bird nest... recently but not everyday..

#55 yuhchyng

yuhchyng

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hello, can anyone tell me what is the dosage/concentration of Folic acid that you take? I saw in book, and also mentioned by my previous gynae that expectant mother should take at least 0.4mg of folic acid, but now my gynae gave me folic acid of 5mg per tablet. It is 12 times of the recommended concentration. So I just wonder it is ok or not.

Another thing is, my friend who is Amway member told me that I should take 4 tablets of Calcium Magnesium (Nutrilite) everyday. Will it be too much? And they have something like nutrition package for pregnant women, i.e. protein powder, calcium magnesium, Vit B, Vit C, folic acid (folic acid by Nutrilite is only 0.13mg and I didn't notice it until recently). Can anyone give advice?

Thank you..

#56 stpeiyee

stpeiyee

Precious Princess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

excess folic acid will b expelled from the body tru urination. it's a water dissolvable nutrient.

#57 janicelly

janicelly

Classy Countess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (yuhchyng @ May 23 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, can anyone tell me what is the dosage/concentration of Folic acid that you take? I saw in book, and also mentioned by my previous gynae that expectant mother should take at least 0.4mg of folic acid, but now my gynae gave me folic acid of 5mg per tablet. It is 12 times of the recommended concentration. So I just wonder it is ok or not.

Another thing is, my friend who is Amway member told me that I should take 4 tablets of Calcium Magnesium (Nutrilite) everyday. Will it be too much? And they have something like nutrition package for pregnant women, i.e. protein powder, calcium magnesium, Vit B, Vit C, folic acid (folic acid by Nutrilite is only 0.13mg and I didn't notice it until recently). Can anyone give advice?

Thank you..

hi yuhchyng,

the folic acid i took is 5mg too. me & baby are fine smile.gif. moreover, if doc pescribed to you, should be safe.

as for other supplements, i would say consult your doc on ANYTHING extra you wanna take. that is the safest.

good luck!

#58 MsLim

MsLim

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (yuhchyng @ May 23 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you..

I am so glad your friend shared with you this information! Yes.....what she recommended to you is great.....I strongly encourage you to take her advice. 4 tabs of Cal Mg a day is not too much.....especially for a pregnant mother. Just make sure you start consuming the recommended supplements as soon as possible so that your baby and you will be able to enjoy the benefits sooner!

#59 yuhchyng

yuhchyng

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi stpeiyee, janicelly, MsLim, thanks for your advice and information. I am not sure whether it is because it was too early for the doctor to give me other supplements, but when I visited him last week during my 5-6 week pregnancy, he gave me only folic acid, nothing else. He did ultrasound for me, asked me some questions, no urine test, no calculation for due date (expected delivery date). He said just eat like normal, no need to take other supplement. But I have a friend who had a lot of supplements during pregnancy, her baby is healthy and smart. Then I asked whether I should take protein powder, etc. What he answered was, if you want more protein, eat more fish, meat loh... I don't know. I think most of our daily diet is not enough to supply the daily need for ourselves, not to say the baby. But of course during the pregnancy, we should be more aware of what we eat and eat healthily. Hm... sad.gif

#60 joeharry

joeharry

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

phytoestrogen is a generic term to indicate the 'herbal' supplement (mainly referred to soya) has female hormones chemical mimetics. it can be regarded as EDC (endocrine disrupting chemicals). they are not of synthethic orgin, yet they influence our endocrine function. i think birds nest has phytoestrogen in it. how it affects the pregnant mothers - unknown actually, but from the current feedback, better stay off it, or maybe onlly take after labour. there is a friend of mine, where he said, birds nest may have a negative effect on male reproductive function. this is only based on his limited observation. he thought birds nest could increase energy and good for his skin breakouts. it seems before seeing his skin breakouts improvements, he noted he no longer has 'morning wood' - sorry cant be too specific:D. ask yr husbands biggrin.gif. so, it maybe that birds nest have EDC , most likely phytoestrogen that can influence our endocrine system. these observations need scientific studies for confirmation.