fusionista

Baking Tips

Yea I read about using ice-cream scoop too... I think I'll use another type of liner instead, when I filled them up, the ridges went out of shape when it settled into the muffin pan. :angry: And they are Wilton's muffin pan liners too!!

GGAAHHHH~!!! :angry:

I tried making cupcake size Orange and Chocolate Cheesecake yesterday and it failed miserably. I used blended oreo cookies + butter as my cake base and I should have cooked them in hot water bath but couldn't find a container to hold my muffin pans :( But they still tasted really good albeit overcooked and sunken in the center. Maybe I'll cook up a orange marmalade sauce to camouflage the mistakes :P

I googled my problems (common issues) and found the answers below:

1. Why do cheesecakes sometimes crack in the center?

One reason is the tension created by temperature differences as the cheesecake bakes. Most cakes are basically a blend of eggs, sugar, and cream cheese or fresh curd cheese such as cottage cheese - essentially a custard mixture, though not as tricky. Heat firms the protein in the eggs and cheese; that makes the cake firm first where it gets hottest first - around the edge. As the edge firms, it tightens and pulls away from the softer, cooler center. When the cake is baked in a 400 [degrees] oven, the temperature contrast between the edge and the center is great enough to create a tug of war, and one or more crevices form in the middle of the cake. This is more likely to happen in large cheesecakes, because smaller cakes have less mass to heat and therefore cook more evenly and quickly.

Cracks are easy to avoid. Bake cheesecake at a lower temperature - 300 [degrees] to 350 [degrees] is a good range. Or equalize heat penetration with water. Set the cake pan in a larger pan and fill the larger pan with hot or boiling water up to the level of the cake, then bake. (If the pan has a removable rim, nest the pan in a cupped sheet of foil that extends up to or above the rim.)

Overcooking also makes cheesecakes crack. As the cake bakes, its weblike protein structure of egg and cheese tightens. Cooked too long, the web begins to squeeze out the moisture it holds. The cake loses its smooth texture, gets grainy, and tastes weepy. And because the cake is shrinking, it cracks where it is softest.

The best test for deciding when a cheesecake has cooked enough to be firm and cut neatly when cool is to gently shake the pan in the oven. If the center of the cheesecake just barely jiggles, the cake is done. If it ripples, it's too soft, and if it doesn't move, it's overcooked.

However, most cheesecakes still taste pretty good overcooked. Clever cooks camouflage cracks with sour cream or fruit toppings.

2. Why does cheesecake sometimes sink in the center?

Burst bubbles. As the cake mixture is beaten, bubbles of air are trapped. At a high oven temperature, the bubbles expand and push the cake up. But the cake doesn't have the strength to hold the bubbles, except at the rim where it is firmest. So, as in a souffle, when the bubbles cool, they collapse in the softer cake center, creating a cupped or sunken surface.

To minimize bubbles, don't beat cheesecake batter at high speed with a mixer.

However, in some cheesecake recipes, egg whites are whipped and folded into the cheese mixture. Whites that are whipped with even a little sugar are better able to hold bubbles as the cake cooks and cools.

To minimize bubble collapse, bake the cheesecake at a lower temperature (300 [degrees] to 350 [degrees]). The bubbles won't swell as fast or get as big, preserving the light texture and the flat, even surface.

3. Why are some cheesecake crusts baked before adding the filling?

Crusts made from graham cracker or cookie crumbs with butter and sugar don't need to be baked before adding the cheesecake filling because the starchy element is already cooked. However, if you bake these crusts a little before filling them, the heat forces the fat and sugar into the crumbs and bonds them more tightly to make a crust that is less crumbly, crisper, and toastier in flavor.

A crust made with uncooked flour dough needs more time to cook than the cheesecake does. If it's not baked before filling, it will be doughy, pale, and raw-tasting.

Yup...bain de marie and don't overbeat. :D

I doubt I'll have time to bake until I go over to Switzerland and even then, I won't bake much unless I get my HB to bring them to the office all the time. LOL!

KEKEKEKE! I bought the same thing (mine wasn't that ex though)! Found it handy coz I got extra of everything, especially those piping bags. :)

KEKEKEKE! I bought the same thing (mine wasn't that ex though)! Found it handy coz I got extra of everything, especially those piping bags. :)

Mei, The price is slightly above rm600 plus; that is after 10% discount. Did you do level 2 and 3? I'm very keen but they don't have Sat classes at Hartamas' outlet yet , so will wait.

Think will only get my tool kit when I sign up for level 2.

Gaya mesti ada, can't ice the cake, tak apa!

Yup...I'm in Level III now. I can't remember how much mine cost but it was definitely cheaper. Maybe the price went up already (I heard a classmate say that the prices of stuff there has gone up). I got the tool kit when I was in Level I last year.

Found it very handy even then - especially the bags, couplers and tips. :P

RM 600???????? *pengsan*

OK granted we have 40% coupon all the time, so the kit only cost me USD$30. Normally it will cost USD$50.

The classes are only between USD$10 and USD$15.

This is is useful because it has a tray that allows you to organize your tips and colors. There are other kits out there that sells just the tips and comes with some sort of a cheap plastic holder. I don't use Wilton colors, I get the squeeze bottle kind which makes it easier to control the amount of color you want when you mix. Since this is a toolbox, I also toss in my spatula, spray bottle (for icing), practice board, etc in there and I'm off to class.

FYI it still takes me about 2 hrs to ice the cake to my satisfaction. I want my edges to be crisp and the surface smooth and shiny until I can see my own face! :P

Wah so happy for you all can go for classes.

I would like to share some Chiffon Cake Tips

I remember my mum use to buy Chiffon Cake from pasar malam. Throughout my baking journey, i've found that there are a few rules must follow to bake a successful chiffon cake.

1) Egg white and Egg Yolk must separate with care.

Do not let even a single drop of egg yolk in the egg white. This is because the egg white will not be able to beat properly until "stiff".

2)Egg White to be beat untill "Stiff"

egg_stiff.jpg

First beat egg white until foamy, gradually add sugar and cream of tartar (egg white stabiliser) and continue beat until "stiff"

3)Fold with gentle but fast

I fold the egg white into egg yolk mixture in 3 part , making sure not to let the air collapsed.

4)Knocked the pan 3 times on table just before baking. This is to distribute the air pocket evenly

5)When baking, i find that the top of the cake turn brown very fast. So I cover the top with alluminium foil (half way baking) and continue bakes until cook.

6)Invert the tube pan when cooking to prevent the chiffon from shrinkage.

100308_001.jpg

Simonne,

Thanks for the awesome tips!

Anyway,

The egg white + cream of tartar can be substituted with meringue powder I think... less hassle than separating the yolks from the whites. I'm sure you know this already :P I make royal icing using meringue powder and stiffen in 10 minutes (when peaks are formed). I have not used it for baking though...

CL,

I have the egg white powder, bought from Chang Thung, Tmn Megah .

Suppose for making royal icing, but have not try yet. Still sitting in my cupboard.

You have use it for royal icing ? Can share the recipe?

Eg : how much powder + how much water . Do i need to add icing sugar ?

Thanks!

BG ,

Happy Baking!

CL,

Thanks for the site, it is useful. I owes just use my 'six sense' for the volume based on the pan size. hahaha .. luckily everytime gets it right :P

I never know the use of egg white powder, thanks for the sharing. I should write down all the tips here and print all the sites for later use. :)

simonne,

I just checked my Wilton Course 2 book, and the recipe is as below (yields 3 cups):

Royal Icing Recipe

3 level tablespoons Meringue Powder (Wilton brand - but I think it's all the same)

1 lb. sifted icing sugar (4 cups)

5-6 tablespoons lukewarm water

MAKE SURE ALL UTENSILS ARE GREASE FREE!! The oil/grease will break down the egg white binding properties, therefore your flowers that you make will never harden.

Place icing sugar and meringue powder in a bowl. Stir or mix at low speed until blended.

Add water and mix 7-10 mins at low-medium speed until icing loses its sheen.

To prevent drying, be sure to cover the bowl with a damp cloth/paper towel while working with icing.

Notes:

*Store in overnight container for up to 2 wks. To reuse, beat on low to restore original texture.

*Mix at low speed to avoid whipping in too much air, If using handheld mixer, you may have to use a higher speed.

*Use plastic wrap to cover the icing before sealing in an airtight container. It is not necessary to refrigerate.

Girls,

You can use meringue powder to make meringue pies and cookies too :)

Have you checked out the Wilton website? Maybe they have some info there. :) I have never used the Icing Paste before, so I'm not too sure.

Hi Mei, I did. I google for some info regarding their expiry dates. I found a seller also mention that Wilton didn't put any expiry date on the paste. but she say you can keep it up to a year. I just wanna hear some suggestions from the ladies here who had attend class with Wilton. hehe... more reliable

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing ur baking tips in this thread! It's really helpful!

I am actually looking for tips on how to remove a whole baked cheesecake from the pan onto a serving plate (without the false bottom underneath). I've tried turning it upside down to remove the false bottom and place it on the serving plate. But some cheese from the top surface would stick onto the temporary tray after that. I've to camouflage the top with blueberry jam. Is there any other way to do it?