YLondon

Special Marriage Licenses

Hi all

I was previously looking for more information regarding ROMs in Malaysia via the Special Marriage License (SML) and although some forumers were helpful, I didn't really find someone who went through the whole process. However I have recently and would be glad to share some information with you.

The SML are for Malaysians who are marrying foreigners or Malaysian couples who are unable to carry out the notice period of 21 days as required with the normal marriage licenses. The SML notice period is only 7 days because it assumes you/foreigner are only in Malaysia for the marriage ceremony and will be unable to stay for such a long period (21 days). Even couples who seek destination weddings will require the SML.

I needed the SML because my fiance and I were only going to be back in KL for 14 days. Under the SML, you will need to choose one location to carry out the ROM. I am from Selangor and my fiance is from Penang. Therefore we had a choice of doing it in either state, we chose Selangor. So we went to the JPN, told them we wanted the SML, they gave us forms to fill. The documents you need to bring with you include your passports, air tickets (to show the date you are departing), a letter from your employer stating your leave period and 1 passport photo each.

So you fill up the form, and there is one section that requires the Commissioner of Oaths' signature. So just ask the JPN person where is the nearest one. For us, there was one right opposite the road but it was closed so we went to the High Court in Shah Alam (only 5 mins drive away). Process was so fast, easy and FREE. Then we headed back to the JPN and then the forms were submitted.

At that point, you can discuss with the JPN office the preferred date of the ROM. It is best to fix this at that point so that you can plan the ceremony with your friends and family as well as plan the rest of your trip back in Malaysia. Please note that the JPN Shah Alam only performs all ROMs every Tuesday and Wednesday. So pick the best date and then the JPN officer will ask you to call back in 2-3 days to find out if your application was approved by the JPN Director.

So technically, if you submit your forms on a Thursday, you CAN have your ROM by the following week (Tues or Wed). In our case, we could not do it so soon because there were quite a lot of people who booked ROMs on Wed and it was a public holiday on Tues. So we did ours the following Tues which coincidentally was the same day we departed for UK (our flights were at midnight)

It was pleasantly a breeze on that day. My make up artist came to my house at 7.30am and the photographer was there by 8.15am. My family were already ready and having breakfast. So we had a good 1.5 hours of taking pictures around the house with some friends as well. Then at 10am, we all headed to the JPN Shah Alam which is only 20 mins from my house. Once we got there, we had to 'ambil nombor'. There were a lot of ppl there which worried us, because we got there at 10.30am! But apparently those ppl were there to renew MyKAD etc! Anyway we were first in line :)

The ROM room was quite pleasant. Usually they allow 12 people in total (plus witnesses) in the room. But I had 14 people and they were ok with it. The ceremony took 10 mins and was very quick. They gave us another 15 mins to take photos. And then we were done!

We left the place at 11.30am and headed to a nice Japanese lunch with everyone.

I was so glad everything went so smoothly without any surprises!!

Things to note :

1. If you are KL and your fiance is from Johor, you can choose to lodge the forms for ROM in either place. No need to change address on MyKad etc etc. The SML process is very uncomplicated.

2. You are certainly guaranteed to carry out the ROM in 7 days.

3. Each JPN performs ROMs on different days. Usually 2 days a week. Please call ahead to find out.

If you need any more info, write to me.

YLondon,

Thanks for sharing! Sorry if I couldn't help you about your ROM since it differs from couple to couple. My ROM by special license was with a non-Malaysian so the documents needed are slightly different - in my case, I don't need an SML but my HB needed a one to be issued by the embassy. And we didn't need to call back. Just show up on the date we want and get married! :)

YLondon,

Thank you so much for your sharing.

I need you help here regarding the SML.

Do you have the employee Letter format on stating the leave?

As we try to prevent any issue arise during the application.

Appreciate your favourable reply here.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards

Hi all

I was previously looking for more information regarding ROMs in Malaysia via the Special Marriage License (SML) and although some forumers were helpful, I didn't really find someone who went through the whole process. However I have recently and would be glad to share some information with you.

The SML are for Malaysians who are marrying foreigners or Malaysian couples who are unable to carry out the notice period of 21 days as required with the normal marriage licenses. The SML notice period is only 7 days because it assumes you/foreigner are only in Malaysia for the marriage ceremony and will be unable to stay for such a long period (21 days). Even couples who seek destination weddings will require the SML.

I needed the SML because my fiance and I were only going to be back in KL for 14 days. Under the SML, you will need to choose one location to carry out the ROM. I am from Selangor and my fiance is from Penang. Therefore we had a choice of doing it in either state, we chose Selangor. So we went to the JPN, told them we wanted the SML, they gave us forms to fill. The documents you need to bring with you include your passports, air tickets (to show the date you are departing), a letter from your employer stating your leave period and 1 passport photo each.

So you fill up the form, and there is one section that requires the Commissioner of Oaths' signature. So just ask the JPN person where is the nearest one. For us, there was one right opposite the road but it was closed so we went to the High Court in Shah Alam (only 5 mins drive away). Process was so fast, easy and FREE. Then we headed back to the JPN and then the forms were submitted.

At that point, you can discuss with the JPN office the preferred date of the ROM. It is best to fix this at that point so that you can plan the ceremony with your friends and family as well as plan the rest of your trip back in Malaysia. Please note that the JPN Shah Alam only performs all ROMs every Tuesday and Wednesday. So pick the best date and then the JPN officer will ask you to call back in 2-3 days to find out if your application was approved by the JPN Director.

So technically, if you submit your forms on a Thursday, you CAN have your ROM by the following week (Tues or Wed). In our case, we could not do it so soon because there were quite a lot of people who booked ROMs on Wed and it was a public holiday on Tues. So we did ours the following Tues which coincidentally was the same day we departed for UK (our flights were at midnight)

It was pleasantly a breeze on that day. My make up artist came to my house at 7.30am and the photographer was there by 8.15am. My family were already ready and having breakfast. So we had a good 1.5 hours of taking pictures around the house with some friends as well. Then at 10am, we all headed to the JPN Shah Alam which is only 20 mins from my house. Once we got there, we had to 'ambil nombor'. There were a lot of ppl there which worried us, because we got there at 10.30am! But apparently those ppl were there to renew MyKAD etc! Anyway we were first in line :)

The ROM room was quite pleasant. Usually they allow 12 people in total (plus witnesses) in the room. But I had 14 people and they were ok with it. The ceremony took 10 mins and was very quick. They gave us another 15 mins to take photos. And then we were done!

We left the place at 11.30am and headed to a nice Japanese lunch with everyone.

I was so glad everything went so smoothly without any surprises!!

Things to note :

1. If you are KL and your fiance is from Johor, you can choose to lodge the forms for ROM in either place. No need to change address on MyKad etc etc. The SML process is very uncomplicated.

2. You are certainly guaranteed to carry out the ROM in 7 days.

3. Each JPN performs ROMs on different days. Usually 2 days a week. Please call ahead to find out.

If you need any more info, write to me.

hey YLondon,

Thank u so much on the SML info! I was browsing hi n low for the answer..

In my case, my hubby is a sarawakian and me a malaccan.

we're planning to register sumwhere early may this year in melaka.

we have to do SML due to our work schedule and location..

he's always offshore and im teaching in sandakan!

its so hard even to arrange for our parents to meet..and its very costly too..

so we both are determined.. this year we both taking leave for 2 weeks like that in may..

bring his parents meet my parents

and then straight away register while all of them are still in melaka.

phew! hopefully everything will turn out as planned!

if we have to file for 21 days.. process wud be tougher..

above all.. thanx again ylondon for the info! =)

Hey,

Just to share what I have done for registration of my spouse who's a non-citizen.

1. He has to get single status letter from his country, get it verified in embassy here AND wisma putra / get it verified in Malaysian embassy in foreign country AND wisma putra.

2. Malaysian citizen do not need single status letter

3. Get all the supporting documents as listed in http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/servicesmarriageordivorce. Collect forms from counter and get it filled. JPN.KC01C and JPN.KC02

For foreign citizen's passport, get photocopy of date he arrived and details page.

4. Go to the NRD in putrajaya, get document, and you have to go to commissioner of oaths. There is a commissioner of oath in the same building, but it was close when i went. So I had to go to Palace of Justice (Istana Kehakiman).

Make sure you are wearing proper attire, otherwise they wont let you in! No shorts, skirts, sleeveless (even though ethnic attire).

5. In Palace of justice, go to 2nd floor, pay RM 4. Go to 3rd floor, get it signed.

6. For special license, you have to call the director and book an appointment to see him. Get the number from counter, or they will call for you. I had to call myself because director's PA not picking up phone. You can do it in same day. Get all the documents ready before you see him. He will ask you why you want to do it fast. Get a good reason and evidence. My fiancee travels a lot for work, so he can be called overseas anytime.

7. Director will approve at that time, and discuss date. He will sign form JPN.KC01C

8. Bring the documents to counter again, pay RM 100. they will process for you and DONE!

Hi DiamondN,

Your information is so useful, thank you.

My fiance is from UK and I am in Sarawak. I have question on the Single Status Letter. What do you mean verified in embassy here? Or do you mean he can also go to the Malaysian Embassy in UK to get it verified? And you mentioned 'AND wisma putra', do you mean our JPN? If it is the JPN then I can probably get it done in Sarawak. But if it must be in Wisma Putra then we have to fly in to do it.

Any additional info you can provide would be grately appreciated.

Thanks.

just so i understand correctly, is it that for SML we don't have to submit 2 separate applications at each state's JPN (i'm from KL and fiance's from Seremban)? so it's ok to just submit the application together in KL? and then choose the date and go to the KL JPN for the ROM? that's all?

Hi there~ i just wondering if any of you can let me know as i was told by the JPN officer, if we apply for the special marriage license, once it gets approval, our marriage can be solemnized in ANY weekday/weekend without extra charges (within a mth time after SML approval)? of course we gotta pay the RM100 for the SML application. is it true? I called JPN twice, but i got 2 different answers and different information from forum. Please advise~ Thanks!!!

Hi all,

I've read all the topic,i am foreigner from india,and my girlfriend is malaysian chinese.we want to register.last time i was here,that time my embassy took long time for the single status letter,so i have to go back as my visit visa was finished.i am here again,and i have extended my visa and the immigration gave me sum special pass for another 15 days,so i would like to go for express marriage.can sumbody please tell me that what all the documents,i require for the express marriage and my girlfriend is from shah alam area,so we can go to jpn shah alam only.please sumbody tell me in details,as we already have gone through many problems.

Thankyou.

it is look like wedding cake toppers for you ROM in malaysia, this is should have a schedule for SML, the best is sunday or weeked, but what is the special license use for? anyway thanks for more information share in here.

Hi YLondon

Just to confirmed the process of SML since we will so it on the short period of time. Do i still need to visit the Phil. Embassy in Malaysia  and submit all my requirements before going to putrajaya?

Hi YLondon

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and although it is an old thread, I am hoping you can help me! I am planning to go register for marriage via SML as my partner is a foreigner (I am Malaysian) and will only be in Malaysia for a short amount of time. I was just wondering if we wanted to apply through SML, do we need a letter/ statement to explain why instead of the normal application process?

My partner will also be travelling with what is known as the "light blue passport" and am wondering if you know that will suffice?

Thanks!