Sign in to follow this  
beautifulgown

Layer Cake/Kek Lapis reciple

I always wanted to try layer cake/kek lapis. My sis-in-law gave me this recipe, I will try this weekend.

This recipe is for steam and I'm looking for baking recipe, anyone has?

Ingredients:

8 eggs

8 oz. butter

1 tin kaya (yeos 300g)

1 tin condensed milk (Milkmaid 375g)

0.5 tsp salt

5 oz. castor sugar

8 oz. flour (sui sian/hong kong flour)

2.5 tsp baking powder

25 gm Nescafe coffee powder

Method:

1. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.

2. Add in egg one at a time and mix thoroughly.

3. Pour in kaya, condensed milk and salt.

4. Mix the baking powder into the flour.

5. Fold in the flour.

6. Pour hald the batter to a mixing bowl. Melt the coffee powder with a little bit of hot water. Pour this into the batter.

7. Leave the other batter plain.

8. Steam it layer by layer. One layer takes about 12 min to steam.

I saw the other day in a book at popular bookstore but after googling on the Internet, I found this recipe by Amy Beh.

Specot (Indonesian Layer Cake)

Ingredients

# 450g butter (use good quality butter)

# 275g fine castor sugar

# 1 tsp vanilla essence

# 1 tbsp brandy

# 20 egg yolks

# 10 egg whites

# 85g fine castor sugar

# 225g Superfine flour

# 1/2 tsp baking powder

# 2 1/2 tsp mixed spices

Method

Line and grease the base of a 23cm (square) loose-bottomed tin. Preheat oven to 180°C.

Sift flour, baking powder and mixed spices into a bowl then divide into three equal portions.

Beat egg yolks until creamy with a hand-held electric mixer.

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light. Add brandy and continue to cream until fluffy. Blend in creamy egg yolk mixture slowly and gradually.

Fold in sifted dry ingredients in three batches, one-third portion at a time. Mix well with a metal spoon.

Whisk egg whites with sugar until stiff. Fold meringue into the creamed mixture until well-combined.

Spoon 4 tablespoons mixture into prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or till golden brown. Remove cake tin from oven and turn off the oven. Heat up the grill.

Brush each layer of the cake with a little melted butter. Use a skewer to prick the bubbles on the surface of the cake then press lightly with the flat bottom of a glass container. Continue in this manner until all the batter is used up.

Spoon 3 tablespoons of mixture over the first layer and spread evenly. Grill at 220 °c for 2 to 3 minutes or till brown. Repeat layer after layer till all the mixture is used up.

For the final layer, preheat oven at 150 °c and bake the entire cake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Leave cake in tin for a while before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut the cake only when it is completely cooled.

Note

This cake will turn out beautifully only in an oven with two elements -- a bottom heating element and a grill element. The flavour of the cake will be further enhanced after a day or two; it keeps well in an air-tight container for up to a week.

OHHH..... grill = broiler?

I thought grill = barbeque :P

Is vanilla essence = vanilla extract?

What's in mixed spices? I don't think I can get an all-in-one thing here :unsure:

Also, are the several layers different colours?

- Some ovens have the grill option on it. It's mentioned in the note. But I think you can experiment with putting your pan on the bottom level of your oven but the heating is the top. I dunno how to explain this.

- Vanilla essense is nearly the same...just chemically different, I suppose. :)

- Mixed spices contain stuff like cinnamon and a whole bunch of things. I think you have to get someone to send it to you. :P (I'll need to stock up on spices when I move over next month).

- The layers are anywhere between brown to pale gold.

Amy Beh's recipe looks nice!! Might opt to try making the layer cake again.

Tried once about 5 years ago....it was loads of hard work but it turned out yummy. It really makes me understand why layer cakes are selling at such high prices...! Are you girls going to give this recipe a try?

Beautifulgown, your recipe looks like it is for Kueh Lapis that we can find at the Nonya stalls. Let me know how it turns out, and I might just give it a try too! :)

i bought a book about kek lapis sarawak.. it's nice and colourful

but too bad the recipe is funny...

they use measurement of cup but sometimes gelas and etc.. which confused me..

and the eggs is like 10-20eggs.. hehee...

Amy Beh's recipe looks nice!! Might opt to try making the layer cake again.

Tried once about 5 years ago....it was loads of hard work but it turned out yummy. It really makes me understand why layer cakes are selling at such high prices...! Are you girls going to give this recipe a try?

Beautifulgown, your recipe looks like it is for Kueh Lapis that we can find at the Nonya stalls. Let me know how it turns out, and I might just give it a try too! :)

hehe .. I don't know oo .. I got the recipe from my sister-in-law and she told me I need to bake after the last layer, I will try tomorrow. Will snap some pics if it turns out to be good :D

I know FH wants me to try layered cake for long time, so just give it a try lah.

Aishiteru

Layered cake memang need a lot of eggs, I have one recipe (bake) need 10 egg white and 15 egg york, hehe so many eggs .. if failed how? hahaha .. so let me try this simple recipe first, if successful then I will try other recipe.

Ya .. some they measured using glass or whatever, blur la

aishiteru & christine,

Thanks for your compliments :)

It took me nearly 2 hours to steam each layer and in fact the cake was over baked, why? hehe .. 10 mins - 15 mins is enuf (just to make it dry) and I use 30 mins so the surface is a bit crack. :P

Yes, sarawak kek lapis is veli rich and moist, the recipe that I'm using is not that rich as only 8 eggs, maybe I can add 1 or 2 more. Fh wants me to try on peppermint flavour. Let see how it goes and looks like. :)

About the price.

It is xpensive because a lot of hours, works and creativity. For plain kek lapis will cost less than RM100, if you want to have some design, that will definately more than RM100.

They have to bake each of the layered color/design separately then later use their creativity to join all them into a design and bake again. I saw my niece's fren doing it, it really need a lot of works. hehehe .. I don't think I can be master that, let go for simple kek lapis will do. :P

hahaha

BG, it's very true! whenever i saw a very complicated recipe i will headache! :P

hehe .. that's why I don't want to try those complicated recipe, especially when I saw d recipe which need a lots of egg! *faint*

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law.

Indonesian Layered Cake

Ingredients:

( A )

10 egg yolks

110 g caster sugar

( B )

200 g butter

1 tbsp condensed milk

1 tsp vanilla essence

3 egg white, whipped until stiff

( C )

60 g plain flour

sifted together:

1 tsp mixed spice (Mc Cormick)

1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (Mc Cormick)

Pinch of soda bicarbonate

Method:

1. Greased a 20 cm square cake pan. Preheat oven at 180c.

2. Beat A, B in separate bowls using mixer, until mixture is creamy. Combine the two mixture together, set aside.

3. Beat up egg white until stiff and form peaks. Slowly mix into egg and butter mixture.

4. Gradually fold in sifted C ingredients.

5. Using a ladle, spread a thin layer of mixture onto greased pan and bake for 12 minutes, or until mixture is done. Uisng a fork, prick some holes over cooked mixture to release trapped air and press firmly with a flat greased spatula or back of a spoon. (This process must be undertaken after each layer of batter is done to ensure the layers sticks together).

6. Change over to Grill Function.

7. Spread another ladle of mixture over the 1st cooked layer in cake pan. Put under Grill Function, cook for 5 minutes or until mixture is set and done. Repeat process, layer by layer until all the mixture is utilized.

8. When the last layer is obtained, change over to Convection of Bake Function, temp 160c and bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until cake is done.

9. When cake is done, press the surface of the cake firmly with the back of a spoon. Leave it to cool before cutting.

beautifulgown wow i didn't kek lapis cost so much of work and $$. You really make them with your heart! Well done.

Kek hitam manis and kek lapis are they the same?

simonne,

kek hitam manis and kek lapis are not the same.

but the recipe looks similar, also using kaya, condensed milk and others.

last saturday I steamed the kek hitam manis .. FH said it tasted the same as it suppose to be alto we didn't put the gravy browning (cannot find it, the shop has finished the items) and just for the ingredients already cost us more than RM40!! :wacko:

they said is very creamy and moist .. hahaha .. I have snap the photo will post once I got my USB cable :)

The cake doesn't look fancy .. just black! but taste nice.