healthwise

Credit Cards

Ever thought of using American Express? I'm not sure about the service now since it's with Maybank but when it was solely owned by Amex, it was good. I was travelling in Australia and my other cards could not get thru bcoz it was on Visa & Master lines. Once I offered my Amex, it went thru just fine at the vineyards where I was purchasing some wine. I was glad I had my Amex. Just imagine the embarassment when none of the cards work due to the line problems. It was great to have another option.

I have been using the following credit cards and my comments for each are:

1) Maybank - using it for 3 years and so far ok. I'm quite surprised there are a lot of compliants about service because I find their service to be ok. Their customer service hotline is 24 hours. One thing good about Maybank credit card is their reward points never expire. They have lots of promotion as well, comparable to HSBC and Citibank. I never receive calls from Maybank telesales trying to sell me stuff. Points can be converted to Enrich. E-banking is user friendly and i always use maybank2u to pay my credit card bills. But their e-banking does not tell u what is your current credit limit used. I have used my Maybank credit card over the internet and so far no problem.

2) HSBC - using it for 1 year and so far it is also ok. Service hotline is also 24 hours and i think their reward points expire in 3 years. Lots of promotion, you get discounts at G2000, Padini, Leonard Drake, etc. Their telesales will call you to sell their stuff but just tell them you don't need it and they won't push. E-banking feels very secure because they force u to use their secure token which you must collect from their branch or you can't use it. E-banking is quite user friendly as well. HB has used it over the internet and so far also no problem.

3) Citibank - using it for 1.5 years and so far ok also. Service hotline is 24 hours, not sure about their reward points. Lots of promotion as well. Their telesales will also call you to sell their stuff but they also won't push. E-banking is not bad and they tell you what is your current credit limit. Have used it over the internet and also no problem.

4) Alliance Bank - only use it for IKEA purchases. No telesales and never use e-banking so can't comment.

The thing about HSBC and Citibank is you don't have to inform them you are travelling overseas to use their cards overseas. But for local credit cards you must inform them b4 hand, otherwise you can't use it. I won't complain because I think it's a good security feature. I have used my maybank credit card in the UK and China and there is NO problem with it. But local banks credit card are more stingy with credit limit compared to overseas bank credit card.

For me, I don't worry about whether the bank I have a credit with has any branch near me because I always pay my credit card bills over the internet using maybank2u.

I'm a Maybank plastic holder and I don't have any complaints at all. Been using them since 2004 and they were wonderful, especially considering that I lost my plastic in France two years ago. I got my brand new card a week upon my return (I insisted that I didn't need it during my holiday). I don't take cash rebates and all those services because my credit card is only for emergencies and certain provisions. My credit increases every year and as for the Internet banking, well, at least I didn't have to go all the way down to KL to pay my plastic bill (and I don't get calls regarding services, etc).

I was a Citibank card holder in 2001 and at that time, the only place you could pay your plastic bill was at Menara Citibank. I got tired of the monthly trips (If I wanted to use online banking, I'd have to open an account with them! ARGH!) and cancelled my card. They called me up to ask me why and years after I cancelled, I still get calls and leaflets asking me to go back to Citibank. Aiyayayayaya.

Yes, I only have one credit card coz I don't see a point in having so many. :P (Makes it easier to keep track of my spending too!)

i used to hv a card by Citibank MY but i cancelled it as it's very inconvenient to make payment. v hv to drive to JB for the payment purpose n sometimes, our statements get lost in mail resulting us to pay penalty for late payment

currently hv a card issued by OCBC MY, under Great Eastern Life. i was sent a pre-approval letter that asked me to get the card. i was given the waiver on annual subscription fees for 5 yrs!!! hee..... :)

as i m based in SIN, i have a platinum card by Citibank, a UOB's lady's card (it gives free access to Cali Fitness twice a mth plus others benefits) n a DBS Takashimaya card. Citiback is good as it let me to have my payment settled in installments, come in handy especially when i used it to pay for my school fees during my MBA days. DBS Taka gives me 10% discount during non-sales period. so i would say dat i get my cards as i wanted their benefits. n usually i just carry my citibank card with me. n the best thing is, banks here waive the annual subscription fees for u when u wanted to cancel the card the moment they charge u the fees!!!

artistic,

Better go CIMB directly to apply credit card.

if go directly to bank,chances i wont get it! i realize through agent chances of getting it is better.

thanks anyway

artistic,

Better go CIMB directly to apply credit card.

if go directly to bank,chances i wont get it! i realize through agent chances of getting it is better.

thanks anyway

Why u said so?

:ohmy:

Last time i apply mine via branch - approved

Now cancel coz the RM50 tax :angry: