piggy

Equatorial Hotel, K.L

I supposed to have my wedding in EQ Ballroom next year end, and i have made a tentative booking with them.

But lately the coordinator email me the latest price for 2010, the cheapest menu increased from 798++ to 838++. Well, i think the price increased is ok if they never change the menu. However, they changed the shark fins to some other soups like Chicken Ginseng ....

And the 2nd cheaper menu will be 898++ with shark fins.

Im quite upset with it. It is about 100++ increased from the previous price list if we take the menu with shark fins.

Haiz...I am now dilemma, thinking whether worth to spend this in EQ.

What u all thinK?

I supposed to have my wedding in EQ Ballroom next year end, and i have made a tentative booking with them.

But lately the coordinator email me the latest price for 2010, the cheapest menu increased from 798++ to 838++. Well, i think the price increased is ok if they never change the menu. However, they changed the shark fins to some other soups like Chicken Ginseng ....

Im quite upset with it. It is about 100++ increased from the previous price list if we take the menu with shark fins.

What u all thinK?

Hi vernice,

I'm going to have my wedding next year end too and actually interested in Equatorial, can you share the package/price/menu with me? I've sent in an enquiry email but so far no reply. I'm planning it from Perth, so can't walk in to see the place either. How did you find it? And how much deposit to put for tentative booking? you can PM me or email me at wynnielim126@yahoo.com

Thanks ya~

best wishes,

wynnie

What u all thinK?

Hi Vernice,

I had mine there 2 months ago. Truth be told, I wouldn't be upset. I actually changed my shark fin (cheapest menu) into 8 treasure soup. Everyone said it was excellent. The food there is of good quality so no worries. Perhaps in other dishes, you can ask for an upgrade instead. I honestly highly reccomend 8 treasure soup in comparison to shark fin. If you look at the ingredient list, the 8 treasure soup has more things, more flavour. :-)

What u all thinK?

Hi Vernice,

I had mine there 2 months ago. Truth be told, I wouldn't be upset. I actually changed my shark fin (cheapest menu) into 8 treasure soup. Everyone said it was excellent. The food there is of good quality so no worries. Perhaps in other dishes, you can ask for an upgrade instead. I honestly highly reccomend 8 treasure soup in comparison to shark fin. If you look at the ingredient list, the 8 treasure soup has more things, more flavour. :-)

Hi Yvon,

Mind sharing your experience at Equatorial with me? I'm in Perth so can't see the place. :( any photos to share??

the price increase is normal. even though i booked before the price change,

i was still told i had to pay according to the increased price later on.

I have some photos of the chinese restaurant if anyone wants to see the place.

i just took some random shots while deciding on which area to pick.

i finally decided on the ballroom as i wanted to do a themed wedding.

the chinese restaurant is quite recently refurbished and in good condition,

unlike the grand ballroom which needs some work.

if i had a chance to decide i would be more than happy to swap the sharks fins with some other soup.

sadly the elder generation dont see animal conservation playing an important part in a wedding dinner =X

if you get stephanie as your coordinator then good for you. she did a great job with my wedding.

the price increase is normal. even though i booked before the price change,

i was still told i had to pay according to the increased price later on.

I have some photos of the chinese restaurant if anyone wants to see the place.

i just took some random shots while deciding on which area to pick.

i finally decided on the ballroom as i wanted to do a themed wedding.

the chinese restaurant is quite recently refurbished and in good condition,

unlike the grand ballroom which needs some work.

if i had a chance to decide i would be more than happy to swap the sharks fins with some other soup.

sadly the elder generation dont see animal conservation playing an important part in a wedding dinner =X

if you get stephanie as your coordinator then good for you. she did a great job with my wedding.

Hi aisumomo, can I see the photos?? It'll be a great help! Hmm the restaurant nicer than the grand ballroom? But sadly I'm having a small wedding, like 15-20 table? I don't think they'll let me use the restaurant. How was the deco in the ballroom? Do u have any photo on the AD to share? Thx ya~

Hi Yvon,

Thanks for your reply!

May i know what are the ingredients for the 8 treasure soup?

If the old generation can accept of cos is the best lar...

I just scare they want shark fins soup no matter how...

3 stars *** = ok loh

4 stars **** = good

5 stars ***** = confirm selected, no need to think.

(****0) Four Hot and Cold Combinations

(***00) Shark's Fin with Assorted Seafood and Dried Scallops

(i would have skipped this item if not for inlaws, SAVE THE SHARKS! anyway i have a feeling they used man-made ones?? kinda crispy crunchy..nvr a fan of shark fins >.<)

(*****) Roasted Crispy Chicken Pi Pa Style

(i also tried the Roasted Chicken with Onion Sauce, more savory but not a good choice as it will be soggy by the tiem they serve

the other was very fragrant the moment they brought it to the table)

(*****) Stir-fried Tiger Prawns with Salted Egg Yolk and Oats

(also tried the Poached Tiger Prawns in Herbal Essence, this dish is just SO-so nothing much to shout about,

so i choose the one above as it was really tasty but a tad bit salty)

(****0) Stewed Tau Kan with Vegetables and Three Varieties of Mushrooms

(it was ok but we found a slug in the dish =x )

(***00) Steamed Silver(Changed to pink) Snapper with Superior Soya Sauce

(was overcooked, taste wise this dish is so-so)

(***00) Fried Rice in Lotus Leaf

(****0) Nectar of 100 Years

(*****) Double Happiness desserts to pair with nectar - Yam Rolls and Hong Yip Chee (think this is the name??)

(Yam one is nice, HYC= this is pretty, its fried and has 3 different coloured layers that opens up like a flower..taste good too)

dont bother taking the moh mai chi as its super messy and stuck to the pandan leaf even though drenched in oil..ew =.= taste wise they said ok but i see the oil n how they had to scrape it off the leaf i also ..dot dot dot...pass...

Hi all,

I just had my food tasting last Saturday lunch at EQ.

I would like to thanks Aisumomo for sharing her rating on the different dishes. It really help me in selecting what dishes to choose from the menu.

I would like to add my my comment on Aisumomo's rating on the food i have tasted. Hope this will help the bride to be in EQ hotel.

(****0) Four Hot and Cold Combinations

- They gave us 5 types to choose, i had 2 cold dishes, 1 is jelly fish, another one is Japanese octopus. Both are nice, but i found the octopus is something special and not commently found. The Japanese octopus is quite dry (not like those serve in Japanese restaurant with sauce) with onion, peanut and the 'smelly leaves"

- They gave us 2 fried dishes, but i found the 'famous EQ meat ball' made by themselves not so impressive, taste like meat ball buy from outside. But according to the wedding coordinator she said they are famous for that, but i met up with the chief chef of the restaurant, he said there is another cheese meat ball is nice too...

(***00) Shark's Fin with sea cucumber & crab meat

Taste is ok, but just taste like typical shark fins....nothing special

(*****) Roasted Crispy Chicken Pi Pa Style

(i also tried the Roasted Chicken with Onion Sauce, more savory but not a good choice as it will be soggy by the tiem they serve

the other was very fragrant the moment they brought it to the table)

- I tasted the same 2 dishes of chicken. I found that the Crispy Chicken Pi Pa style is more presentable and the sauce for the Pi Pa chicken is something nice and special. Tasted like sour plum sauce.

- As for the Roasted chicken with Onion style, the color of this dish is not nice...dark brown. The whole roasted chicken is cover with the onion sauce and i found that there are not only onion, but also lots of ginger in the sauce..and i found the taste of the onion sauce is a bit weird...sweet + sour + bit of ginger hot taste...

(****0) Prawn in Mongolia sauce

(also tried Stir-fried Tiger Prawns with Salted Egg Yolk and Oats)

The Mongolia sauce looks nice cause it is red, the sauce is something special, but the taste is too strong till you can't taste the sweetness of the prawn.

The stir fried with salted egg yolk smell very nice when the dish is served. Taste is nice, and able to taste the sweetness of the prawn, but a bit too common dish for wedding.

I choose the mongolia sauce cause i have selected the Pi Pa crispy chicken...so don't want to have 2 dishes which are fried and dry.

(****0) Stewed Tau Kan with Vegetables and Three Varieties of Mushrooms

Tast ok

(**000) Steamed Silver Promfet with Teow Chew style

The fish was served very hot, but the whole fish was covered with mushroom, salted vege & chick meat.

The whole fish, the mushroom and the soup only have the salted vege taste...and it was so sour & salty...nothing else.

I choose this cooking style cause it is the only promfet available in the menu. Luckily after i talked to the chef, he said can change the style of cooking. So i have changed it to steam with EQ home made Soy sauce

(*****) Fried Rice in Lotus Leaf

Very nice fragrant of the rice.

(***00) Almond Paste with sago (hot)

I personally like almond paste dessert

My family member comment is not many people like to eat hot dessert and lots of people don't like almond taste. So i decided to change to a cold dessert.

The almond paste get thicken after it gets cold....so not a good choice of dessert for wedding dinner

(****0) Double Happiness desserts to pair with nectar - Chinese pancake and Hong Yip Chee

I ordered HYC= but they served me this with this pink glutinous rice steam dessert stuck to the pandan leaf.

The Chinese pancake is normal, not too sweet, Ok for me.

Aisumomo, do you have a picture of how the HYC look like? Ya, you are right, it is very difficult to eat the that one which stuck in the pandan leaf....

I wander the wedding coordinator gave me the write dessert of not, she is quite blur one, always forgot what is in the menu or what is in the wedding package and what are the things i have confirmed. :(

Hi all, Last month my dinner was there,

as promise, will post the picture here, and some got ask me about my 3pcs band.

Sorry if the picture is not clear

Most of the decoration are from the hotel except the Balloon/Tang lung, Wishing tree, Photo frame, and etc.

I got add some extra decoration from my decorator.

PM me if you need the decorator & Music Band contact, I can say Decorator are special and meets my theme, Music band are awesome.

tompm826.jpg

This is the main table

tompm825.jpg

tompm822.jpg

tompm821.jpg

Wedding cakes (dummy)

tompm820.jpg

Lighted background, (my favorite)

tompm819.jpg

Wind fountain

tompm818.jpg

Overall of the place, The thing like balloon actually are "tang lung" from my decorator

tompm813.jpg

tompm809.jpg

Wishing card from my Decorator

tompm803.jpg

Wishing tree from my decorator, match to my theme which is sweet and cute

tompm802.jpg

Special Pen from decorator for guest to write wishes

tompm798.jpg

tompm797.jpg

Photo frame for each table at cocktails area

tompm793.jpg

Original from hotel

tompm790.jpg

My Outstanding music band

tompm1089.jpg

Very skilled and experienced, I was actually perform and give surprise to my wife, and they really help me a lots.

Keyboardist are awesome, can get to situation very quickly, Vocal's voice are very good, can sing english and chinese and various of song.

tompm1051.jpg

Very skilled guitarist and also the team lead.

tompm1005.jpg

He is the most outstanding eMCee that i saw. No silent situation at all, every of my guest are enjoy of his style.

tompm1003.jpg

I can say all of the night are awesome, the only negative thing on the actual day is my "dai kum cei", others are perfect and well plan.

If any question, please PM me for details.

I have made the booking with EQ for my January 2010 wedding banquet since last year, throughout this year, my wedding coordinator has change twice because they are leaving...this make me start worry are they going able to run my wedding banquet well??

Is there anyone can share your experience for your wedding banquet held with EQ recently? :unsure:

I have made the booking with EQ for my January 2010 wedding banquet since last year, throughout this year, my wedding coordinator has change twice because they are leaving...this make me start worry are they going able to run my wedding banquet well??

Is there anyone can share your experience for your wedding banquet held with EQ recently? :unsure:

me 2, i have changed wedding coordinator for 2 times, the one who attend me is wei ching which is the 3rd person.

I will suggest you pick a time to go to meet the new wedding coordinator.

so far after meeting them and make sure the things.... no problem at all....

only something you need to take care, i suspect the staff there during my wedding dinner actually steal my hard liquor, actually at the end, it should have some half bottle right? but mine actually don't have, only 1 have, and i can't say anything as i am too busy that time. just make sure that.

I have just made my booking and paid my deposit for my wedding reception in late year 2010.

Currently, I am communicating with Amyra and Joyce. Joyce is the wedding planner.

Hopefully things will go well for the next 9-10 months. Lots of things to do!

Finally my wedding day is over. I had my wedding dinner at EQ hotel - Phoenix Restaurant.

Something to share here.

As there were too many changes of the people in-charge for the wedding in EQ hotel, i actually had some hick-up on my wedding day itself!!!

Table arrangement was not according to the plan sent to me, but we managed to change it back accordingly, however, some table arrangement is a bit far behind and not exactly shown in the plan. So my advise is to spare enough time before the wedding dinner to check the table arrangement. I was there in the restaurant at 4pm....but still not enough time....

I believed the hick-up is cause by too many wedding events in the few continous weeks. The person in-charge who took over the job only for 1-2 months time, so it was a bit of messy...but they are very helpful.....just have to make sure you follow-up closely with the EQ people when your wedding is around the corner (1-2 weeks before) for final confirmation.

However, the overall arrangement & decoration is good. I did not hire any extra wedding deco for my wedding dinner. I think the deco by EQ is enough for a simple wedding dinner. The people in EQ (floor manager, Golden Phoenix manager, the technician, the wedding event person) are very helpful and most of the things are in order.

As i did not have the time to eat the food, basically the guests comment are good on the food.

Slight disappointment is the slide show in Phoenix Restaurant, the slide show projection was a bit too low, the technician said the projector from the ceiling cannot be adjusted, so the slide show was too low and some of the guests sitting too far can't really see the whole slide show.

My wedding photo is not out yet, if anyone is interested to view, please let me know, i can share them when they are ready.

Yep, my only complaint for Equatorial is its projectors. The one in the ballroom was on the far right so guests on the far left had to literally stand up and walk to the centre of the hall to see the slideshow. LOL. Luckily we asked the technician to replay a few times as we were mingling with the guests. Vernice, the eight treasure soup contains dried seafood. Crab meat, mushroom, sea cucumber etc. Can't remember all but it was delicious. We had sharks fin in our menu but it didn't look appealing. So we actually swapped that. For your amount of people, better take the ballroom. We chose the ballroom for privacy. Don't want to have the restaurant because then they will block half and the other part of the restaurant would be noisy. HB was particular of this. Overall, the people in charge were nice and helpful. We themed the decor with red and cream colours. To us, the decor was splendid as is. Everyone enjoyed the food and ambience.

Oh, yeah, another issue with Equatorial is they keep changing planners. I think the turnover is really high. During the 8 months between out booking and wedding, we had 4 different planners. Good thing, the final official one, Wei Ching, did a great job. We didn't get to meet her cos the former one left only 3 weeks or so before the wedding. By then, we were too busy to travel there. She is a good planner, listens to your ideas, makes sure everything goes well etc. Those who have her should feel comforted. :-)

Yep, my only complaint for Equatorial is its projectors. The one in the ballroom was on the far right so guests on the far left had to literally stand up and walk to the centre of the hall to see the slideshow. LOL. Luckily we asked the technician to replay a few times as we were mingling with the guests. Vernice, the eight treasure soup contains dried seafood. Crab meat, mushroom, sea cucumber etc. Can't remember all but it was delicious. We had sharks fin in our menu but it didn't look appealing. So we actually swapped that. For your amount of people, better take the ballroom. We chose the ballroom for privacy. Don't want to have the restaurant because then they will block half and the other part of the restaurant would be noisy. HB was particular of this. Overall, the people in charge were nice and helpful. We themed the decor with red and cream colours. To us, the decor was splendid as is. Everyone enjoyed the food and ambience.

Oh, yeah, another issue with Equatorial is they keep changing planners. I think the turnover is really high. During the 8 months between out booking and wedding, we had 4 different planners. Good thing, the final official one, Wei Ching, did a great job. We didn't get to meet her cos the former one left only 3 weeks or so before the wedding. By then, we were too busy to travel there. She is a good planner, listens to your ideas, makes sure everything goes well etc. Those who have her should feel comforted. :-)

Hi Yvon,

I am the new user here. I plan to have my dinner in Equatorial Hotel. Is Wei Ching specialize in wedding only? Can I know how can I contact Wei Ching?

Thank you. :)

Hi Yvon,

I am the new user here. I plan to have my dinner in Equatorial Hotel. Is Wei Ching specialize in wedding only? Can I know how can I contact Wei Ching?

Thank you. :)

Hi Vernice,

Wei Ching left EQ in November. Now the wedding planner is Joyce (lady) & Junius (guy).

Joyce is a nice person, just that she just took over this job not more than a month and starting end Nov till now is the peak period for weddings in EQ. That is why she is a bit blur on what has been arranged by the previous planner before.

I think the wedding planners in EQ are nice, just that the turn over rate is very high. So i would not know you able to get Joyce to be your actual wedding planner during your wedding. But other person involved in your wedding (like the chinese restaurant manager, the cook, the technician are very experience in EQ).

Lychee

huh?? wei ching left? wow... not sure what happen to equatorial... why can't the staff stay a little longer, but i don't see many bad thing during my dinner, everything are well planned.

No surprise there. Maybe the hotel is not giving good incentives for the planners to stay. Just make sure you keep a comprehensive list of what you want and what has been requested, in case your allocated planner leaves and a blur new one enters. I ensured that I knew what I wanted like the back of my hands, wrote schedules and lists. That's the best way to make sure you don't miss any minute detail out if your planner leaves.

There were already 4 changes since I booked my wedding dinner - my dinner is in June 2010. Now I'm hoping that they can assign someone good to me. They assigned me to a Malay guy and he is not very responsive - I hope to change my person in charge. Any good suggestions???

Stupidboy, can you please share the band/emcee info with me? Also your decorator info as well as how much you spent on them? Thanks!

No surprise there. Maybe the hotel is not giving good incentives for the planners to stay. Just make sure you keep a comprehensive list of what you want and what has been requested, in case your allocated planner leaves and a blur new one enters. I ensured that I knew what I wanted like the back of my hands, wrote schedules and lists. That's the best way to make sure you don't miss any minute detail out if your planner leaves.

There were already 4 changes since I booked my wedding dinner - my dinner is in June 2010. Now I'm hoping that they can assign someone good to me. They assigned me to a Malay guy and he is not very responsive - I hope to change my person in charge. Any good suggestions???

Stupidboy, can you please share the band/emcee info with me? Also your decorator info as well as how much you spent on them? Thanks!

already PMed you the details.

Wow, you're experiencing more changes. There's this lady called Joyce, right? Try to request for her. I received one older chinese lady, can't remember her name. She never replies calls, rarely replied emails so we asked for a change and we got Wei Ching. She was spectacular. Sorry to see her leave. But anyway, if you don't feel cofident with the current allocated planner and you know you can get a replacement, just ask for the other planner, for the peace of heart of mind. You don't want to risk plans going flat on your AD. My wedding was very simple, I used all their basic decor and stuff ad it was great enough for me. Most important is that everything is coordinated properly by a responsible and dedicated crew. Equatorial gave me that for my AD, hope it gives you the same on your big day. :wink:

Hi, Gals.

Have anyone of you used pink snapper for your wedding dinner?

My parents are not satisfied with the fish after food tasting...the texture is rough and dry..

Eq charged 70++ per table for upgrade to pomphret..for 30 tables, is RM2K plus already...do you think it's worth it??

Any suggestion on whether you use other fish instead?

Wow, you're experiencing more changes. There's this lady called Joyce, right? Try to request for her. I received one older chinese lady, can't remember her name. She never replies calls, rarely replied emails so we asked for a change and we got Wei Ching. She was spectacular. Sorry to see her leave. But anyway, if you don't feel cofident with the current allocated planner and you know you can get a replacement, just ask for the other planner, for the peace of heart of mind. You don't want to risk plans going flat on your AD. My wedding was very simple, I used all their basic decor and stuff ad it was great enough for me. Most important is that everything is coordinated properly by a responsible and dedicated crew. Equatorial gave me that for my AD, hope it gives you the same on your big day. :wink:

Hi,

Do anyone know which hotel is Wei Ching working with now? Since all of you have good comment about her.

Thank you!