6 replies to this topic

#1 melcelestial

melcelestial

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:23 AM

Hello everyone! Like everyone else, I just got engaged to my boyfriend (who is from KL) last month, and we plan to have our akad nikah in October. We have no idea where to start since I am the first among my siblings to get hitched, and we don't quite know the procedures of getting married in Kota Kinabalu (my hometown). We hope to get some useful advice in this site towards a memorable day smile.gif

#2 jojo11

jojo11

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

hi melcelestial.. welcome to MB..

congrats..
I think the first thing would be to think about the date you are getting married...
(normally about 1 year is the best cos alot of dinner places get taken up within a year , esp this year being 2008)
(Has your parents meet each other to talk about the dates? cos i would say it would be then that they would be talking about if they would organise the dinners or pay... or wat requirements they wan..)

Would have to think about who's goin to be paying for certain things, dinner for kl (could be Inlaws), ur dinner in KK (could be by urparents), or if its goin to be by u and ur partner.. Budget on wat u can have cos the budget could also affect ur date of wedding ... (sometimes ppl borrow from banks, but i would say not advisable thou)

Then you can go and find ur ideal dinner place and book the dates...... Is there any church wedding? (cos also have to book the date too)

Once u have in mind ur dates n where u wan ur dinners to be , u can start thinking about bridal studios for pre-wedding photos n Actual day for ur wedding gowns, photographers, car decos ... Entertainment for the dinners... Invitation cards...

And then everything would come in to place...

good luck...

jojo

#3 melcelestial

melcelestial

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

Hello Jojo smile.gif

Thanks for the wonderful advice! It really has helped to set some things straight smile.gif

Fortunately, my fiance's parents and my folks have met up several times, and so far I'm glad that they really like each other smile.gif We're probably going to have our akad nikah on the 24th of October (which will be on my mother's birthday too). Both sides have settled for the amount of duit hantaran they will hand us, which I think is fit enough for just a kenduri in the lawn of my parents' home. The wedding reception in KL is pretty much dealt with as his parents decide to have the same package as his brother's last year (in a dewan somewhere in the middle of KL).

I guess what I'm more concerned now is the preparation and other budgets (not concerning the location) before then, since it will be somewhat mixed in my hometown. It will be semi-Malay/Kadazan altogether, and my mom and I have the idea of throwing in bridesmaids and flowergirls. Another problem is that my mother and I would love to design my own gowns and invitation cards to make that day even special, thus:- (materials for 3 sets of wedding gowns + materials for bridesmaids'/flowergirls' dresses + tailoring + invitation cards + photographer + etcetera = $? Ouch? How much do I need to save each month and when do I need to set out for these?).

I am wondering if it's advisable to hire my own wedding planner who will help me sort out the things I need to do too, since I sometimes easily get lost among the to-do lists from websites and magazines.

#4 stpeiyee

stpeiyee

Precious Princess

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

hi melcelestial,

welcome to MB! happy planning smile.gif

#5 melcelestial

melcelestial

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello stpeiyee! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'll try to have a good one wink.gif

#6 dye

dye

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (melcelestial @ Jan 20 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone! Like everyone else, I just got engaged to my boyfriend (who is from KL) last month, and we plan to have our akad nikah in October. We have no idea where to start since I am the first among my siblings to get hitched, and we don't quite know the procedures of getting married in Kota Kinabalu (my hometown). We hope to get some useful advice in this site towards a memorable day smile.gif

hello there...

i'm from sabah too...hehehehe just engaged last month(during raya haji hehehe) and planning to get married at 040408..very close already kan??? tongue.gif

i'm staying in kedah rite now s does my FH..what can i say planning for a distance could be very hard...i gave everything for my mother to be my wedding planner hehhehee...

u still got time..plenty of it...since we dont have to book a place for dinner except for your FH resepsi at dewan mmg kena book la....

oktober cuti skolah ke?if yes you have to book eveything in advance especially baju,pelamin n everything.takut fully book..but kalau nak tempah...nak carik kain alahai rambang mata woooo....
u must have a list!!!!! and bajet la..since your FH is from KL (mine from pahang) u have to book a hotel room for them to stay and maybe a car for them get around kk...it will cost u lot (tiket aje da rm1k++ belum family nak g kl lak huhuhuhuhu)

n the wedding band...if u r thinking of having a matching pair (gold n suasa,w.gold etc) baik tempah awal2....my FH chose platinum for his W.B,tak brani nak pakai W.gold so a lttle pricey n his size huiii..very small kena tempah lagi kecil or pakai ladies rings huhhuhuhuh(tp proce da turun ckt hehehe size small) biggrin.gif

anyway if you need to ask anything i could try to help...not that i tau banyak ....tapi boleh laa so good luck....

#7 melcelestial

melcelestial

Nonchalant Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hello Dye smile.gif

First of all, congratulations to you and your lucky man! I wish you two the best and have a wonderful future together biggrin.gif

Anyway, thank you so much for pointing out so many things; Would it be safe to book places (for the guests) at least 4 months before the date? To be honest, I'm not sure how many of his family would want to go (since there will be another reception in KL). As for transport, my family and I would be happy to drive them around so I think that would save some. But you're right, I should think about it in advance just in case @_@ Aiyoo... it hurts thinking about money...

My mother is really adamant about making my own custom dresses, so I guess I'll set out for the materials at least 6 months prior to the date. I've already thought about the theme, just need to discuss it properly with my mother the next time she comes down to KL. I always dread shopping for materials; but hey, once in a lifetime wink.gif

So how is yours coming along? If I may, how do you do your list?

Thanks again!
-Mel-