Sign in to follow this  
kjoanne79

CNY HOMEMADE COOKIES

PEANUT COOKIE - FAH SANG PENG

300 gms groundnuts, fried/roasted and grinded till fine (taste a few of the nuts before grinding to see that they taste nice and fragrant. Don’t under cook or over burnt)

200 gms castor sugar (avoid using granulated sugar because it will cause the cookies to have very rough and hard texture)

250 gms flour

About 250 ml of oil (use sparingly and use only enough to bind the mixture)

1 teaspoon salt

Mix the dry ingredients like sugar, salt, nuts and flour in a big mixing bowl with finger tips until they are well-mixed and crumbly. Add oil bit by bit and knead the mixture. Once you can roll up the mixture into a small ball without the surface crumbles, then don’t add anymore oil.

Knead the mixture for a while to ensure that the sugar melts. You can tell by looking at the dough. It shouldn’t have speckles of shiny sugar grains but smooth texture.

Roll the dough into small balls and place them on a parchement paper and baking tray. Use a circular tube (like the cover of a ball pen) and press gently on the top of the balls to make round indents.

GLAZE with egg before baking. To glaze, just beat one egg and brush on the cookie.

Temperature : 200 deg. C

Time : About 15 - 20 minutes

quoted from : http://www.malaysiabest.net/2006/01/19/rec...peanut-cookies/

Cornflake Cookies by Amy Beh

Ingredients

110g butter

110g castor sugar

1/2 tsp grated rind of lemon or orange

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1 egg yolk

100g cornflakes, crushed lightly

Sift lightly:

125g self-raising flour

1 tbsp corn flour

Method

Cream butter, sugar and essence until the mixture turns light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and lemon rind. Fold in sifted flour and mix. Put mixture into the refrigerator to chill for half an hour until it turns slightly firm.

Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto the crushed cornflakes. Shape into balls and place on lightly-greased baking trays and bake in preheated oven at 170°C for 20—25 minutes or until lightly golden in colour. Cool on wire racks before storing in airtight containers.

Hi Jaunty,

thanks for your recipes, i tried these 2 recipes last year.. no many people like this.. so sad..

i trying the green beans cookies too, also got comment about it..

what's is the famous cookies that everyone will look forward it?

maybe u can try this..

i havent try the recipe but i got it from a cooking forum and everyone has a good comment on it.

Almond Crisp

Ingredients :

1 egg white

30g fine sugar

1/8 tsp vanilla essence

20g self-raising flour

Almond flakes for decoration.

Method :

1. Mix egg white, sugar and vanilla essence till sugar is dissolved.

2. Add sifted self-raising flour and mix well.

3. Apply a really thin layer (almost see-thru) on silicon paper.

4. Sprinkle a few almond flakes on top.

5. Bake at 170 degrees for 10 mins or till lightly brown.

6. Once it's cool, keep in air-tight container.

Yields :

Approximately 30 pcs

u must use silicon paper not other type of paper if not it will stick cannot removed.

can get it at bake with yen. www.bakewithyen.com

about 60cents 1 roll can reused for 3 times.

I prefer silicon cloth which rm6.9 per roll but it's washable.. :)

Peanut Cookies

Peanut.jpg

60g Icing Sugar

120g Peanut (blended very fine)

100g Cake Flour

20g Plain Flour

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1 Tbs Milk Powder

120ml Peanut Oil.

- Mix all the dry ingredient.

- Add in oil and knead until able to roll. You might not need all the oil indicate as the oiliness depends on your peanut.

- Roll into small ball

- Glaze with egg

- Bake at 175 Celcius for 10-15 min

hmm.. i thought peanuts cookies are must-haves for chinese new year. nevermind, you can still make Kuih Kapit, although its quite troublesome, but if your mix is OK, most probably there wont be any complaints. i always remember my grandmother telling me they use to put coins into these crispy kuih kapits in some other shapes, and that's how their "angpow" looks like. haha. had fun making kuih kapits with my mom last year, and it was so exciting. got my fingers burnt though.

Kuih Kapit (Love Letters)

Ingredients

* 125g rice flour

* 35g plain flour

* 155g granulated sugar

* 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (from 1 coconut)

* 2 eggs

* 2 egg yolks

Method

Sift rice and plain flour into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and slowly add the coconut milk. Stir until smooth then add the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk until well blended. Strain the batter.

Lightly grease love letter moulds with a piece of muslin cloth dipped in oil. Heat mould over charcoal fire.

When heated, place the moulds open over a bowl of batter and pour a ladelful of batter onto the mould. Close the mould tightly and bake over charcoal fire for about half a minute on each side.

When golden in colour, remove and immediately fold into a quarter. Press lightly with a tin cover to level the surface.

Cool and store in an air-tight container or tin.

(You need love letter moulds to make this beautiful kuih that is served during chinese new year.)

*p/s : some people might advise you to use old coconut santan cos its richer, and a bit more oily. the kuih kapit will look better too. if you're making for your own family, when you pour the mix onto the mould, you can pour twice to make it thicker, depends on your own preference. some like thick kuih kapits, some like thin ones, like the ones sold in the market.

Jaunty, nice to hear that you still make kueh kapit with your mum!!!! I think people like us are a dying breed. (Yup, me always ALWAYS make kueh kapit with my mum, every year without fail but this year, we aren't making...so she got rid of the special BBQ pit we got.)

Kuih Kapit , yeah i remember last time seeing my aunty making them. I making kuih kapit need a few helpers :D

Nowadays, nobody make kuih kapit in my family anymore.. we just bought from outside :D

Mei,

dunno why last year i craved for kuih kapits so i asked my mom to buy me some but she insisted that we should do it ourselves - thicker, cheaper, healthier. we spent the whole morning "kiap-kiap" the moulds, i refill the moulds, turn them and she folds them. my bro, dad and FH was like sitting beside, they were suppose to help arrange those kuih kapits into the tins, but instead of doing so, they "arranged" the kuih kapits into their tummy = =

hard work of 7hours = 2 big milo tins of kuih kapits, 3 fully fed tummys, 1 big bunch of memories.

i think this year i might want to make some chocolate moist cake for my engagement party on the 5th of Feb. CNY cookies are too expensive to buy. bought 1 small plastic bottle of chocolate coated cornflakes, the lady charged me rm19 for like 50pieces?! i swear i wont buy anymore CNY cookies. better make ourselves than let ppl chop out there.

yeah btw, anyone tried making "nga ku" chips? should i pat them dry before frying them? my first attempt was OK, except there was a few chips which are too thick.

here's another recipe for chinese new year cookies. my mom loves Amy Beh - her recipe always comes out in The Star.

Cashewnut Cookies

Ingredients

* 175g butter

* 125g castor sugar

* 1 tsp vanilla essence

* 1 egg yolk

Combine:

* 200g plain flour, sifted

* 40g desiccated coconut

* 1/2 tsp salt

* 50g cashewnuts, split

For glaze:

* 1 small egg, lightly beaten

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a cookie tray with non-stick parchment or greased greaseproof paper. Cream butter, sugar, vanilla essence and egg yolk until light.

Stir in sifted flour, salt and coconut to combine into a dough. Roll out dough in between two plastic sheets to 3/4cm thickness.

Stamp out with a cookie cutter and place on prepared trays. Brush lightly with beaten egg and place a piece of cashewnut in the centre of each cookie.

Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave on the tray for one to two minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool.

i have one aunty who loves to bake and she bakes cashewnut cookies to sell during festive seasons. whenever she asks us to go over to her place to help her make cookies, she will ask us to sit in the living room when she's mixing the batter - dont want to let us know her "secret ingrediant" i perhaps. *headache* :lol:

WOW! You gals are amazing! My mom is a workaholic so we never made any cookies, etc.

I'm very determined to start making some now :D

i like baking oso...it is fun n feel happy when ppl eat my biscuit n like it...i m going to bake some biscuit this coming weekend...ll share with u all the recipe after i bake...cos the recipe in hometown...hehe

niel,

I don't have that recipe, what I have is simple layered cake with only 8 eggs and using steam method rather than bake.

argh.. got the recipe for the indonesian layer cake with spices? i'm craving for that!!!!

Jaunty, WOW, you took 7 hours to make kueh kapit for that recipe?!???? That's the amount of time that me & my mum would take if we made kueh kapits from the 1kg recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I pat my nga ku before frying them. People usually slice them straight into the wok coz it saves time but your nga ku doesn't really last long and it makes the frying process very messy (water bubbles everywhere, etc). Nga ku must be sliced properly to ensure that the skin comes out otherwise, when you fry, you'll see a dark ring around the edge.

I put up the recipe for Indonesian Kuih Lapis in the Recipe section...under BG's thread. :P

I'd put up some recipes but the Internet is wonky. It won't allow me to get onto my blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[uPDATE]

* Kueh kapit recipe plus step-by-step photos and tips here.

* Strawberry shortbread recipe (for CNY or V-day) here. This recipe was a modification of the original shortbread recipe - done to my taste.

* Nutmeg Ginger Snaps here - another modification of an original recipe

* Nga Koo intro here.

Mei,

haha, we used another recipe provided by my aunty who sells kuih kapits [the stingy one who makes cashhewnut cookies]. the recipe provided i think is only for 1 medium size milo tin. we made 2 big milo tins and most of the "claimed-failures" got into my dad + bro + FH's tummy. haha thanks again. going to steal that indonesian kuih lapis recipe now.. LOL

simmone,

kenot wash the "nga ku"? no wash sorta like not clean wor...

Hi Jaunty_niel,

My sis washed it and then just use the special slicer to slice the "nga ku" into a thin later straight to the wok and fried. After that she add pinch of fine salt on it. The 2nd method will be like keropok style, soak the thin slices of "nga ku" into the salt water for overnight. On the next day, dried the "nga ku" and put under the sun to speed up the dryness. Then store the "nga ku" into a tin and fried it when u r free. The latter method no need to add pinch of salt after u fried it if it's already tasted abit salty( depend on ur preference). Now preggie and didn't bake any CNY cookies this yr, just order from other ppl..hehe

thanks to Mei, beautifulgown, and nanako for the ideas + recipes. here we go again..

Kuih Bangkit

Ingredients

* 400g tapioca flour

* 4 pandan leaves, cut into 5cm–6cm lengths

* 2 egg yolks

* 175g castor sugar

* 150ml thick coconut milk

* 1 tbsp butter

Method

Pan fry tapioca flour together with the pandan leaves over a medium heat till light and dry, then sift and leave aside to cool thoroughly.

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Sift in tapioca flour and mix.

Add thick coconut milk a little at a time. Knead well into a firm dough. Add in the butter and continue to knead until the dough is pliable.

Use a wooden mould to press out desired shapes or roll out dough to a thickness of 3/4cm on a lightly-floured tabletop. Stamp out desired shapes with cookie or kuih bangkit cutters.

Place on a baking tray (lightly floured with tapioca flour). Bake in a preheated oven at 170°c for 20 – 25 minutes or until the kuih bangkit turns dry. Cool before storing.