hushling

What are the criteria to look for a good gynae?

Hi all,

I had a discussion with my hubby recently about which gynae to go. Can anyone here advise what are the criteria that we should look at for a good gynae?

I believe all new parents do not have experience and many times it's through word of mouth and recommendations. So, how do you judge the rating?

Hope you can enlighten us abit here. Thanks!

I think most important is the gynae's personality... I hope he will be caring and nice type of doctor... Not those that dont even look at u or talk to u while he is looking at his computer or something... and he must be contactable at reasonable hours... I dont want a doctor who doesnt want me to call him when I feel something is wrong or I am worried about something and need to call him to consult him... whether he is famous or not, its not important but he must have good testimonials from ppl around... at least nothing bad la... then he must be friendly and smile always la... some doctors very moody wan... dont wan the negative chi to affect my baby and dont want him to affect my mood... cos when have baby, u must laugh and smile always and mood must be super duper good! and also where the hospital he is attached to lor... if let say house at Shah Alam and then he is at some hospital in KL, wah... scare oh... if u induce labour then its ok... if u naturally ar... then water breaks alredi... gotta drive sooooo farrrr tooo reaccchhh the hospital! My mum nearly delivered my sister in the car! wah scary...

Somemore the doctor must be good with stitches... i heard lotsa rumours how a bad doctor didnt know how to stitch or not nicely done and the couple suffered... i mean their love life la... so better choose one tat know how to stitch properly so that it wont affect ur love life...

Fee charge is not a very important factor...

After considering all, hubby and i decided to choose Dr Jason from Sunway...

To me, what's important is that you feel comfortable with a doctor whom you can trust. It is very important to have a doctor who is able to give you decent amount of attention during consultation and definitely not one who has a long string of patients in the waiting room as chances are you will get shoo-ed out from the clinic in less than 15 minutes for a RM200 consultation!!

I think most important is the gynae's personality... I hope he will be caring and nice type of doctor... Not those that dont even look at u or talk to u while he is looking at his computer or something... and he must be contactable at reasonable hours... I dont want a doctor who doesnt want me to call him when I feel something is wrong or I am worried about something and need to call him to consult him... whether he is famous or not, its not important but he must have good testimonials from ppl around... at least nothing bad la... then he must be friendly and smile always la... some doctors very moody wan... dont wan the negative chi to affect my baby and dont want him to affect my mood... cos when have baby, u must laugh and smile always and mood must be super duper good! and also where the hospital he is attached to lor... if let say house at Shah Alam and then he is at some hospital in KL, wah... scare oh... if u induce labour then its ok... if u naturally ar... then water breaks alredi... gotta drive sooooo farrrr tooo reaccchhh the hospital! My mum nearly delivered my sister in the car! wah scary...

Somemore the doctor must be good with stitches... i heard lotsa rumours how a bad doctor didnt know how to stitch or not nicely done and the couple suffered... i mean their love life la... so better choose one tat know how to stitch properly so that it wont affect ur love life...

Fee charge is not a very important factor...

After considering all, hubby and i decided to choose Dr Jason from Sunway...

So, did Dr Jason Lim fulfil all the criteria you mentioned above?

Was he caring, smiling, not moody & good at stitching?

The stitching you referred to was for natural birth?

Thanks

I think it's important to find out whether he has good reputation, the quality that counts, price doesn't play the most important part, having a baby now is reli pricey, parents-to-be must be so ready to face this... lol.... :rolleyes:

Just realised that these post are a few years back.

how would babysiew know if i posted some questions for her?

haha, oh ya hor!!! :blink:

Haha, you can PM babysiew. Anyway, I know dr Jason from sunway. Saw him a couple of times then stopped coz he's too far from where I stay. He was recommended by my friends. He's supposedly a good dr and reliable - hardly take any days off. When I saw him though he was quite serious, hardly smiled at me. And queue is v v long. But all good gynaes hv long queues.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents ...

I just made a switch from a Dr Chong Hon (Old Klang Road) to Dr Raman.

Am perfectly happy with the switch.

I first started looking for another gynae after going to Dr Chong Hon for the past 3-4 months (my first pregnancy). The reason: I didn't feel perfectly at ease with him. I felt that I was just in the "processing" line ... didn't feel like he was listening to closely to what I was saying.

Then came the bill ... it's high (around RM250-300 per visit) and probably 20-30% higher than what my friends are paying. I guess he tries to squeeze in other procedures, examinations, tests -- just to pad up the bill.

Just wanted to get this off my chest ... after I feel shortchanged.

In no particular order :

• Experienced - A gynae who has seen alot so that he/she can diagnose my condition accurately without making us go through too many tests and gives sound advice. Also will help alot as an experienced gynae will know what to do when complications arise. Good skills also comes from experience, we do not want those who stiches up so bad that we cant pee after birth !!!
  • Ethical - One who doesn't make us go through too many unnecessary tests and recommend unnecessary intrusive procedures/operations to earn more $$$$. One who will not force us to go emergency C - Sec after only a few pushes cos he/she wants to go home and sleep or has another patient waiting to give birth after us.
  • Honest - A good gynae should tell us "as it is" regardless of good/bad news. Also, a gynae who does not want to do natural birth should also state so from the very beginning and not when we are in our 3rd trimester when we stated clearly from the beginning that we prefer to go natural first. Also a good one will tell you beforehand they plan to go on holidays on your EDD way before your EDD (if the holiday's planned already) or will not be planning for holidays on your EDD (if the holiday's not planned yet) so that you can make other arrangements or find another preferred gynae.
  • Good Listener /Approachable - he/she must be able to understand and address our concerns
  • Professional - he/she must be able to his/her views objectively and without bias. Also must not be judgemental. Also respect patients' rights to change to another doctor and provide all necessary documents/ tests results to the patient to transfer to the new doc.
  • Convenient - he/she must be easily contactable and is a consultant at a hospital located nearby my house so that I reach the hospital within minutes in case of emergencies
  • Consultant at a reputable/ good / well equiped Hospital - its good to know that we (including the baby after birth) are in good hands of the hospital's staff ( I know a few babies were gone because of inadequate staff in some hospitals) . It is also equally important that the hospital is well equipped with technology to handle complications
  • Does not overcharge/ charges unreasonably / does not practice std charges ( some gynaes charges more if they know you are well off/has a title/ of royalty). While a good gynae deserves to charge more, pls do not overdo it. You are a doctor for a good cause/reason - pls remember the oath you took when you became a Dr.
  • Gentle - We do not like Drs who treat us like a piece of meat. So pls be gentle.
  • Does not have ( has very little) negative repo / feedbacks
  • Personality - this is a little bit tricky. It's not easy to find a person (more so a doctor/gynae) who can banter and click with the parents to be and make the consult comfortable for everyone. So this is 'fate' and also 'luck'. So if you have more free time - you can shop around for a gynae that makes you most comfortable.