babysiew

Plasma or LCD?

Plasma or LCD TV?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone... so wondering... if u have a budget of RM4-5.5k, which TV would u go for? Plasma or LCD? and wat brand? If u r having one of them, pls share ur experience... thanks a lot!

LCD 40" 100 Hz, is about RM6k to 8k... if u wan full HD, only a few brands like Sharp has I think... forgot already... usually if u wanna buy 40" and above, ppl would ask u to buy plasma cos value for money... but personal preference la...

Both have their pros and cons...

Maybe this article helps... It did help me to understand a lot of things haha...

http://www.apcmag.com/hdtv

angie,

Sigh .. I know LCD 40" and above is xpensive but FH likes it *sweat* .. he even tell me get big one for sitting room and small one for master bedroom .. wahh .. he sounds so kaya, I tell him no need to spend that money la, his 21" TV still ok ah, that one can put inside master bedroom la.

I shall let him read the article. Thanks for sharing. :)

If you are going to hook your PC to the TV might as well get a LCD tv. Some choose LCD over plasma cos of the HD features but don't be fooled by those shows playing on LCD at the shops that makes you wanna buy LCD cos of its better picture quality. That is because they are playing blu-ray movies and LCD are better if you plan to play games using the tv.

We are using Samsung 42' in our room as my hubby wants to play PS3, use a computer specially for the TV and watch blu-ray movies. And the price has gone down alot from the first time we bought it

More of the pros n cons between LCD n Plasma

I am leaning towards Plasma...

Sharon, waiting for ur input! We r leaning towards Plasma 42" also... exact model like urs...

And I heard Panasonic gonna come out with new PV700 which actually reduces the reflection... but reflection doesnt bother me much as hubby and I gonna watch TV at nite and not with full light...

But still getting more opinions be4 we decide...

Thanks for all the input...

Pls share your experience for those who have either one or both ya...

Oh btw Sharon... ur Panny PV70... is it fully imported or locally assembled? I received a quotation RM4,900 for the brand but locally assembled... the fully imported one is RM9,999 and since its a display unit, they r selling at RM4,999 (discount cos its display unit - stock clearance) but I didnt want that cos display unit sudah letak there dont know how long... not exactly brand new...

So just wondering any vast difference between fully imported and locally assembled? I know sure got difference but vast difference?

The shop also recommended Hitachi 42" plasma 1080p... costs RM5,500... fully imported... brand new...

Wah headache! I can stand for like 2 hrs looking at the TVs and still undecided!

My hb votes for LCD. Same like BG, he wants a min 42" LCD with full HD for the living room. Reason, same with mummy's hb. He wants to play his PS3 games. we're eyeing on Sharp Aquos LCD now..

Both plasma and LCD sounds the same to me, but hb said plasma is rather an old technology and it's already at its peak, while LCD is improving and will overtake plasma in the near future. anyhow, not that it's going to make any difference to me.

the only difference it will make is that i made him agree to my deal which is he spends 6k for the tv, then i get to spend 5k for a super comfy mattress. :lol:

Here's more pros and cons abt plasma and LCD

Sharon, at rm4999 which is only 99 difference and u get a 5 yrs warranty i think its a good deal!!! where u ordered ur Panny Plasma PV70H? Can let me know pls? All 4 shops i went can give 1 yr only except Harvey Norman 5 yrs but their price is RM5499... Thanks in advance Sharon!

Sharon, new house is rectifying defects right now... S&P agreement stated any defects list given by purchasers will be rectified within 30 days ma.. we logged the list on 2/3/2008 so need to wait till early next mth before the contractors can go in and renovate... we obtained the CFO liao! very happy... can renovate!

Hopefully can shift in be4 Hungry Ghost Festival... then I can house warming and invite u guys to come hehe... *cross my fingers and toes*

Ya very headache lor... TV alredi headache... wat more whole house electrical appliances, cement, bricks, gates, grills! argh! :D

bbsiew,

you are not alone ya. Alto the house is not ready yet but we oled headache on grills, curtains, furnitures, kitchen set, master bedroom set .. ahhh .. including how to plants, flowers for our mini garden! ishh

now I just leave the electrical appliance aside first .. don't want to think about it.

Hb told me that Sharp makes the TV screen for Sony. I shd get him for the source of this... I was under the impression that Sony makes one of the best technologies around for TV/entertainment,... mana tau also import from other company one. I own a Sony Bravia 42" LCD. It's only 720p but we got it at half price about 1.5 yrs ago after standing in the cold late autumn for sale to start. We paid USD$1200 for it that time... price has dropped.

I like the definition of plasma but can have glare if you place it by the window. But if u get a new LCD 1080p I guess you can get pretty nice resolution also.

[update] Read the article here: Sony to own 1/3 of Sharp's LCD Plant

Wah... I tot I was the only one having headche over renovation ( we haven't even renovate yet, now only getting quotation) and thinking what eletrical items to buy...

Talking bout LCD and Plasma, I did a survey before... plasma if you view astro will be clearer. and fusionista is right, sharp makes the screen for sony... lots of the store ppl told me don't bother taking sony coz it's much more expensive due to the brand and also buy sony if you want the sound system... besides Sony, LG and Samsung also have very good sound system! but in terms of picture quality wise it's Sharp!!!

now i pening about home theatre system! whether is it necessary to get a receiver like Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer basic home theatre system with 4 speakers, 1 central, 1 subwoofer is enuff... do we really need a receiver??? argh! the cost varies quite a lot of we wan a receiver... if u wan a receiver, u need to go for speakers like Boston, Mission and etc... which costs a bomb! argh!

yvonnelyw2004,

I just bought samsung LCD 40'...so far so good...only not used to view drama through LCD...the guy all become fat and short... :D

yvonnelyw2004,

I just bought samsung LCD 40'...so far so good...only not used to view drama through LCD...the guy all become fat and short... :D

Hi,

How much you bought urs? Haha!!! You mean all those ppl been drag horizontally which become fat & short? I think you can adjust it, try to find the menu and see...

I might looking for 32' for my new house. My family has been using Samsung (TV, air-cond, refrigerator, washing machine-jz bought new one, 8.5Kg...) all the while, trusted brand thou... :D

I bought the 81 S series at RM 4150 not inclusive the warranty extension...i will try to check the menu coz only receive few days!!!

Don't purchase at shopping centre..just choose ur desired model at shopping centre while go negotiate at the electricity shop..coz the model i puchase at shopping centre is charge at RM4999..also not inclusive of warranty extension

shuangmulim,

Thanks for the sharing... Guess shopping centre & even shops like "heng heng", "sheng sheng" also make up the price alot... Think should go for ordinary electrical shop, right?

What's make you choose Samsung? Is there any good features? ;)

BTW, I just read today that LCD uses wayyyy less electricity than Plasma, for those of you who are still trying to decide. To power an LCD tv or monitor is 3/4 cheaper than a plasma and 1/2 cheaper than a CRT tv (regular big "backside" tv or monitor)...

Something to think about...

If u read this article, u will know tat the higher consumption of power of plasma is not so true... maybe different articles said different thing... most important is when u stand in front of a LCD and Plasma, u decide which one u like lor... easy... power consumption hmm... everything in the house also using a lot of electricity...