Sign in to follow this  
xiaoposh

Baby's Chinese Name

Hi all,

I wonder all the parents to be here where to find chinese name for the BB? Hb & my chinese not so good.. donno what chinese name to give our BB.

Regards

xiaoposh

My mom referred to this old Chinese dictionary and my ILs got one of the aunties to suggest a few names. Then we gave the list of proposed name to a Chinese temple in Muar to select a name that suits my daughter. We also don't know how to read chinese words and I had to write my daughter's name on several piece of paper so that I can refer to it in future :D terrible huh?

But then again we hardly call/use her Chinese name.

xiaoposh,

you can try asking your parents or ILs to give chinese name. or can approach those "sifu" to give the chinese name based on your BB's date of birth.

my name was given by my grandpa. and i plan to have my bb's name to be given by my FIL since his chinese is good. :)

As for me...i and my hb just simply choose the name that sound ok...then we use this web... www.name321.com ....to see whether the mark good or not lo...my parents and ILs are flexible for this...no pantang.... :P

If for boy...we will need to follow 'chok pou' the traditional name listing wo.... :lol:

Just to know...is all of u also giving christine name to ur baby? i plan to...but my hb not allow...he said let bibi choose herself when she big wo.... <_<

Before my baby was born, I have this feeling that my baby's name must be determined by myself. So I googled online for chinese names websites. I also bought a book on naming babies written by Master Soo Man Fung from HK (for RM20+). But with my limited command of the Chinese language, I only managed to narrow down to one name we liked.

We have practically fixed our mind on that name but when my baby was delivered, my parents-in-law went off to some feng shui master. Initially I was pretty upset because we have selected a name and do not want any other names for our baby. My PIL came back with a list of 5 names for us to choose from (the way it works is that, you can give one Chinese character you like to the feng shui master and he gives you a few options with that character, on top of that he also gives you some other names which are auspicious). And it turned out that those names are quite nice, some even nicer than the one we had. So we picked from the list.

I guess that there's no harm in getting help from feng shui master or anyone else who has better command in Chinese. After all, the final decision is still made by yourself.

Our baby's name was given by my FIL. Acutally he got our baby's birth details (DOB, time) and both our birth details also, went to this sifu to "match" out an auspicious name for the baby :) Luckily the most auspicious name turned out to be nice, phew .... :P

Before my baby was born, I have this feeling that my baby's name must be determined by myself. So I googled online for chinese names websites. I also bought a book on naming babies written by Master Soo Man Fung from HK (for RM20+). But with my limited command of the Chinese language, I only managed to narrow down to one name we liked.

We have practically fixed our mind on that name but when my baby was delivered, my parents-in-law went off to some feng shui master. Initially I was pretty upset because we have selected a name and do not want any other names for our baby. My PIL came back with a list of 5 names for us to choose from (the way it works is that, you can give one Chinese character you like to the feng shui master and he gives you a few options with that character, on top of that he also gives you some other names which are auspicious). And it turned out that those names are quite nice, some even nicer than the one we had. So we picked from the list.

I guess that there's no harm in getting help from feng shui master or anyone else who has better command in Chinese. After all, the final decision is still made by yourself.

Anyone can advise any si fu around KL to help getting a chinese name for our bb?...now having hard time thinking for one as we are not good in chinese....we just want a nice and meaningful name, don hv to be the auspicious type....

Anyone can advise any si fu around KL to help getting a chinese name for our bb?...now having hard time thinking for one as we are not good in chinese....we just want a nice and meaningful name, don hv to be the auspicious type....

mimossa, i got 1 sifu ,he gif de name quite meaningful and nice, Like my bb his name is Tan Kenjo Chinese name is 陳建州 . If u wan u can pm me i gif u the address ^^ :D

me n hb had picked up a few names for our kids. v use a chinese website to calculate the stroke, n just zoom into those that have good strokes n sounds nice.

as for christian name, v will named our kids too. this is to prevent themselves from using names that are too sophisticated n funny sounding.

I have picked up a Chinese name and English name for my bb. Actually I have picked up several, but MIL refused most of them since it rhymes with her daughters' name (which is a NO NO in Chinese culture). Sigh~~~

Now I have to settle with the third name I like most and doesn't rhyme with the English name at all.., quite sad.

Oh yes, MOMs, can please share out the sifu's contact? I quite believe in feng shui, so I want their expert advise also.

Please pm me yeah.., tq!

Hi Escudo,

My fren's father is in this business (Giving Name in Chinese & English). His charges is quite reasonable and is cheaper compared to KL. But he stay in Kuantan. My brother's kids name also recommended by him. You can contact him Mr Loo at 09 5143857. The Chinese & English name all will be calculated in good way. His customers not only in Malaysia, but also oversea country such as Hong Kong. You may contact him to ask for the charges. Normally he will fax you the name first, follow by original copy via mail. As for payment, can bank into his bank account.

We went to 2 places, one in KL (forgot the name, but apparently very very famous one) and Mak Seng Loong (i heard he is famous too) in Ipoh. The KL place gave us 3 names to choose from. The Ipoh one gave me 9 names. The names that I got from Ipoh all sounded very nice compared to the KL one. And we noticed one particular Chinese character that was commonly chosen by the 2 sifu, and was also tops on the list for both sifu also, so the whole family, both sides, decided on that name.

We also provided both sifus with the family middle name to follow for my gal's generation. Both sifu also didn't follow. They both said the same thing, they'll choose the characters according to what they deem is best for her DOB.

After the name is chosen, the sifu then gave us a rather detailed report on her name and her 'pat chi' too. And explained to me in English.

Yeah.., usually as I know of, we need to provide DOB and then they will come out with a list of names suitable for our bb. Such as, if bb is lacking in metal element due to her DOB, then will need a name to cover off the lacking, or something like that.

for me, i refer to books and website to choose the chinese names

i didn't intend to refer a sifu n this, i become my own sifu haha..

as i need to follow hb's family given middle name so i have limited choice to go for the 3rd chracter with a good match of strokes and chinese horoscope.

so finally i only take into account on the strokes only and skip some other criteria on other matching... both book and website actually giving almost the same result aft i try to pick some name to match it..:)

as for english name, i still haven't think of a good one to give lo, cus i dun wan it to be too common and yet not too odd

and i oso dunwan appear to be same english name with fren's kid or fren with the same surname altho the english name is nice...

kinda of "yim chim" la me :P

Don't know if you guys believe or not... hb was advised to change the chinese character for his middle name. It's the family's middle name for his generation, but apparently during our wedding when we asked for the dates, the sifu said that character not suitable for hb, must change the character, to a similar sounding one. Out of curiosity, we went to ask another sifu, and that sifu also said the same thing.

Bumblebee... where is the place in KL ar? or maybe the phone number? I buta chinese and hubby also... temple will give us a character and we have to match it ourselves... so its tough for us... Ipoh wan, i guess my in law knows... but KL one, maybe u remember the telephone number? Thanks in advance

hi all, u may go to kokchongming.com. he is quite famous in giving name. located in jalan ipoh KL. i also wan to look for sifu to give bb name. Dunno how to choose la.. hehe

Don't know if you guys believe or not... hb was advised to change the chinese character for his middle name. It's the family's middle name for his generation, but apparently during our wedding when we asked for the dates, the sifu said that character not suitable for hb, must change the character, to a similar sounding one. Out of curiosity, we went to ask another sifu, and that sifu also said the same thing.

Bee,

I do have fren who actually change the character of their name and is both middle & last name lo..according to her, she find she is more "shun" lucky in her life now compare with old days lo....but i do hv fren who change the character of their name, but so far they haven't see any effect of the change or what lo....so is really depend on individual lo....if u believe it, then u will hv more confidence in working out your life then it may help to your life lo..

i do believe in this. the number of strokes for our names represent different stage of our life. therefore, if the original character clash with the rest of the characters, it's advisable to change. usually sifu will try to preserve the pronunciation unless there's no other similar sounding characters that can take over the no good character lah.

i got a fren who had her name changed entirely due to clash in strokes and as well as with her DOB. most of my frens oni have one or two characters changed to solve the problems.