Sign in to follow this  
sooky

Do you sleep train your baby?

I think I'm one of the lucky ones that my lil girl can sleep on her own when she was only 2 months old. On her own here means sleepin on her own cot and not in the other room. My routine would usually be, feed her milk and by 8ish I would put her in her own cot and let her sleep by herself till today.

There are occasions where she would wake up in the middle of the night for comfort but I would be too tired to wake up and gradually she would go back to sleep. Sometimes I feel really bad for doing this. :(

During the eve of my wedding I had to leave Ashley to my inlaws thanks to their traditions and since then Ashley doesn't want to sleep in the cot. It was really taxing on us cos I try not to have Ashley on the same bed as us. I would prefer for her to sleep on her own bed. This is when I would do the CIO, let her cry until she's tired and eventually sleep. So far its' been working other times she would cried so long that I have no choice to carry her to our bed and put her to sleep then transfer her back to her babycot. Or craddle her until she falls asleep. And oh I'm not sure if other mommies here do this but sometimes I would lie down next to her in the cot until she sleeps. I think she just want me next to her cos the moment I tried to get out she would wake up. <_<

mummyally, I envy you!

My NingNing has been waking up very often for comfort sucking through the night (roughly at least 4-5 times every night). Initially I just let it be because I thought she'd outgrow it but it gets worse because after comfort sucking she wanted to co-sleep as well. When I put her back to her cot, she'd wake up and cry to go back onto our bed. This has been going on for almost half-a-month.

I could not sleep well because of co-sleeping. She likes to wriggle in her sleep and likes to stretch out her hands ending up her taking most of the space :(

I had no choice but to try out CIO 2 days ago (Wednesday night) coz my PIL went back to hometown (they would have opposed CIO so badly!). I failed miserably because NingNing cried so loud that I had to give in (after 10 mins)... I turned to use the Pick up/Put down (PU/PD) method. I had to do that everytime she woke up, each time repeating 3-10 times. I did not know whether she went to sleep because of the PU/PD or the fact that she was tired from the CIO session earlier. It was really tiring for me but the good thing was that she did not co-sleep with me that night and no comfort sucking too.

Amazingly last night (day 2), I only had to do PU/PD once (repeating 5 times). She did wake up 5 times but the rest of the times, I only rubbed her back and she dozed back into sleep. I noticed improvement in sleep duration and longest stretch of (uninterrupted) sleep.

I'm not sure if my sleep training is working (I still could not believe it). But I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am thankful for another night of better sleep...

Sooky, please update me if the methods work for you. I have tried both when she was 12 month ols but no luck. The 2nd night seems good but after that it goes back to square one.

It's the same thing, I spoilt her for letting her comfort sucking all this while...

vIv, it's been 6 days now. I notice slight improvement, in the sense that she's not co-sleeping with me. Passed two nights, no PU/PD was required because we managed to put her back to sleep by just rubbing her back when she wakes up in the middle of the night. On some ocassion, she would just play with her fingers and grumble a bit before falling asleep on her own while I monitor at the side.

As for sleep duration, it was maintained at 10-11 hours. And longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep between 2.5-4 hours, can't see an actual improvement pattern on this yet. Am still trying and hoping for the best...

makeupjunk, am not so sure. I was just trying out based on my understanding of the articles I read. If not picking up the baby, I assume baby will surely fuss and it's more like CIO?

NingNing's frequency of night-wakings has reduced from 4-5 times per night to about 2-3 times. In the past week, we mostly fed her once before she went to bed at 9.30pm - 1030pm and another time at about 4am. Other times she woke up, we just rubbed her back or fed her water before she dozed back to sleep. Keeping my fingers crossed...

my son now is 17 month, very hard to make him sleep, pat & sing for 1 hour!!.

should i not pat him and let him fall into sleep by himself?

vIv, NingNing still wakes up about 2-3 times at night. This has been the pattern for the past 2 weeks or so.

I hope this is a sign of things getting better... despite slowly.

Lilian, is it something that your boy is used to? Maybe he's taking that as his "playtime" before bed?...

Am not sure what's the best method to put baby to sleep, I guess every baby is different.

For my daughter, she's gotten used to me rocking her to sleep in my arms. I'll do that until she's drowsy then put her down into her baby cot where she'll continue to blabber in her baby words with her eyes shut before falling asleep. Takes about 15 mins for the whole process from rocking to her dozing off.

Lilian, is it something that your boy is used to? Maybe he's taking that as his "playtime" before bed?...

Am not sure what's the best method to put baby to sleep, I guess every baby is different.

For my daughter, she's gotten used to me rocking her to sleep in my arms. I'll do that until she's drowsy then put her down into her baby cot where she'll continue to blabber in her baby words with her eyes shut before falling asleep. Takes about 15 mins for the whole process from rocking to her dozing off.

you are wonderful. I totally spoilt my girl.... sigh...