Sign in to follow this  
juanil

Financial Preparation for Wedding

Dear Saffron,

Check out the quarterly fund review. Fund allocation changes by fund managers according to market conditions. If one stock counter continues to drop, do you want him/her to stay invested in that stock counter? The fund managers main role is to ensure the fund outperform benchmark, be it KLCI or others while maintaining the fund objectives of which all this are highlighted in the prospectus.

Agreed, if UT is so good, no need agents to sell it. But I think it is something new to people here, so they are getting agents to promote and educating the public about it. Perhaps the SC or other bodies should set more stringent criterias for agents, so that they can provide better services to investor. :)

As I understand, mutual funds is more matured overseas and people invest their "EPF" in mutual funds which gave higher return.

In the meantime, happy selling and happy investing! :rolleyes:

cheers,

lemon :D

Thanks ceetee :D

Everyone's been so encouraging and I know in at least 1 year's time, I'll be getting in the range of (hopefully) RM2K... Will be working hard to get experience now and save hard too! :P

Have been going around getting quotations and seeing where I can cut spending for the wedding... Though really, there's not much place to cut other than the clothes, photos and invitations coz I can't cut the budget for the food! Haha, the chinese culture of must have face :)

Miche, don't be demoralised at your earning now, this is just a start. I agree with elaine, more $ and better future is waiting for u, work for it! I think your family & BF surely feel so proud for your achievement as it's not easy to be what you are now. ;) Take things slowly. As for your FH, it's good that he bought a property, at least he's committed to it. Just make sure he pays for the instalment, and remind him the complication of loan default. I'm sure for you and your future family, he'll consider.

Dear Saffron,

Check out the quarterly fund review. Fund allocation changes by fund managers according to market conditions. If one stock counter continues to drop, do you want him/her to stay invested in that stock counter? The fund managers main role is to ensure the fund outperform benchmark, be it KLCI or others while maintaining the fund objectives of which all this are highlighted in the prospectus.

Agreed, if UT is so good, no need agents to sell it. But I think it is something new to people here, so they are getting agents to promote and educating the public about it. Perhaps the SC or other bodies should set more stringent criterias for agents, so that they can provide better services to investor. :)

As I understand, mutual funds is more matured overseas and people invest their "EPF" in mutual funds which gave higher return.

In the meantime, happy selling and happy investing! :rolleyes:

cheers,

lemon :D

Thanks for your input, ya, i agree, public need to be educated about unit trusts; by agent as well as keeping themselves informed on the latest updates and past performance of the fund.

So anyway, have a good week and happy selling! :rolleyes:

Miche,

I was equally overwhelmed about the wedding costs like you

when my bf (now fiance) proposed to me 3 months ago.

I earn slightly more than 2k per month.

And my family is in East M'sia.

After minus-ing all the expenses,

you can imagine how discouraged I am about

saving up for nice nice wedding.

But my fiance always encourages me.

He told me: "Don't despair, must enjoy this

process leading up to marriage".

I really liked that.

Even though both of us earn peanuts, we can still get married!

Marriage is not exclusively for the rich, right? =)

I didn't buy any new clothes since his proposal!

Scared I overspent. But God is so good to me.

I received 15 pieces of new clothes out of the blue

from my cousin from China last month!

She bought all these branded clothes (e.g. tommy hilfiger) from a factory in China.

Wanted to sell. But because she bought them for about RM80 cost price.

Hard to sell, so she wanted to just give to charity.

Before giving it away, she let me have a look at them.

Some very nice piece are there, so I tried them on.

It turned out almost all fit me perfectly!

Really like a miracle. Super happy.

Fiance and I are currently working on a budget of RM30k++ for our wedding.

Here's a rough breakdown for you to refer:

1. Morning ceremony (Cocktail reception after ceremony for 200 guests - RM40 per head = RM9k

2. Wedding dinner at hotel (15 tables, around RM1000++ each = 18k)

3. Decorations - RM500

4. Freelance photographer (RM1k -- PM me if you want his contacts)

5. Ang pows for friends who helps out - RM1k

6. Gowns and suit - (Cousin to help find tailor in China RM1000)

7. Shoes - RM500

8. Wedding ring (pair) - RM2k

9. Videographer - free (fiance's best friend)

10. MUA and Hair stylist - free (my mum was a hairdresser + mua)

11. Bridal car - free (borrow from fiance's boss, only need to decorate)

I think this is a very VERY rough cost breakdown.

Fiance already have RM10k in HSBC Easigrow (not the best savings, but still better than nothing),

so just need another RM20k++, we'll each save RM10k+.

Bear in mind, when the AD comes, people will give ang pow,

so, we'll get back a bit of the $$ we spent. Your friends and

family will be there to help you too. So, don't worry.

Hope what I've written helps!

Btw, my AD will be next year, May.

=)

Thanks ceetee :D

Everyone's been so encouraging and I know in at least 1 year's time, I'll be getting in the range of (hopefully) RM2K... Will be working hard to get experience now and save hard too! :P

Have been going around getting quotations and seeing where I can cut spending for the wedding... Though really, there's not much place to cut other than the clothes, photos and invitations coz I can't cut the budget for the food! Haha, the chinese culture of must have face :)

Miche, don't be demoralised at your earning now, this is just a start. I agree with elaine, more $ and better future is waiting for u, work for it! I think your family & BF surely feel so proud for your achievement as it's not easy to be what you are now. ;) Take things slowly. As for your FH, it's good that he bought a property, at least he's committed to it. Just make sure he pays for the instalment, and remind him the complication of loan default. I'm sure for you and your future family, he'll consider.

after reading thru all the posts here, i roughyl got the idea on where my money will be spend and where to save... i am plannign to sepnd around 20k as well for the whole weeding... and another 25k for the new condo if we foind one....

so in tolal will be around 50k plus all those misc.. and i only have 35k in my FD.... and we can use my epf of 10k in my acc 2 to pay for the hse... hope that this will be sufficient for the AD... planning to register end of the year and buy a condo early next yera.. then only mamrryyy....... !!! :)

It's good that you've got all planned out for your wedding.. :)

But i think RM20k for whole wedding isn't as sufficient, depending how you want your wedding style.

If it's in a hotel, 1k (per table) times 20 tables already take up 20k.. Not including wedding attire, flowers, ang pows, etc.

Normally it is the dinners/ venue that takes up 60%-70% of the overall wedding cost, good to put that in mind.. And with the recent increase of everything, your wedding next year will no longer be 2007/8 pricings. Unless you plan to have it at a chinese restaurant say about RM500-800, then you're still able to save up remaining monies for flowers, car deco, etc.

Continue to save and best to communicate wedding ideas/ dreams with your gf, if she desires a hearty lavish wedding, your pocket will be an ouch.

Happy planning!

jusco,

Congrats ya!! We're still in the process of saving... :blink: It's really tough man!! I've cut down lotsa things like shopping...

Well, saving is much more better from in debt ya.... although it's more 'suffering'... it's better for us to go thru the tough time saving $ rather than regret in the future if we get a loan for our wedding!!

i'm so happy to read this thread since i know i just missed this out!!

we currently budgetted around 30k incl pingkam of 8k.

banquet in ipoh for 700 per table x 20 table and miri banquet 500 per table x 20.

BS = 4k

furniture = 2k (just a bed, a MU table and a cupboard)

this is so far i'd been budgeting but excl all the MUA, bridal bouquet, PG, VG, bla bla bla..

do u all think is enough?

It's good that you've got all planned out for your wedding.. :)

But i think RM20k for whole wedding isn't as sufficient, depending how you want your wedding style.

If it's in a hotel, 1k (per table) times 20 tables already take up 20k.. Not including wedding attire, flowers, ang pows, etc.

Normally it is the dinners/ venue that takes up 60%-70% of the overall wedding cost, good to put that in mind.. And with the recent increase of everything, your wedding next year will no longer be 2007/8 pricings. Unless you plan to have it at a chinese restaurant say about RM500-800, then you're still able to save up remaining monies for flowers, car deco, etc.

Continue to save and best to communicate wedding ideas/ dreams with your gf, if she desires a hearty lavish wedding, your pocket will be an ouch.

Happy planning!

I agree with elaine. For those who want to have hotel wedding, should be prepare to spend more than 40k for dinner itself.I am currently doing survey for my wedding dinner in 2010.Most hotels has already increased their prices to 1.2k per table.Nicer hotels are even more expensive as their cheapest menu starts from 1.4k and that's not including corkage fee and alcohol.Then deco, attire, entertainment will cost another additional 10k at least and I don't think angpau money will be able to cover all.Also bear in mind, services for wedding is also increasing and a services for PG and MUA are getting more expensive.Bad for those who planning to wed, like myself <_<

well, that entirely depends on what are you planning to do on the wedding. we had initilaay planned an expense of around 20K but now it seems i am over budget with 4k

so whatever may be the budget, it increases as the D day comes closer

well, that entirely depends on what are you planning to do on the wedding. we had initilaay planned an expense of around 20K but now it seems i am over budget with 4k

so whatever may be the budget, it increases as the D day comes closer

OptimistVik,

Yeah, very true. The budget increases without you even can notice. Especially those unexpected spending.

Have to say, my wedding budget is very close to CFA's

There are a few things that i didnt pay for

- paid by hubby - engagement ring (a whoping 0.9ct ring :wub: ), pingkam of RM8k

- paid by beloved mum - the wedding dinner (to cover any shortfall from the ang pao, which is mainly the liquor cost & the buffet the night before, much better than expected)

We spent Rm25k excluding items above, hubby actually made profit on the dinner on his side... but gave the profit to his parents. The main expense is as follow

- AD photographer - 10k (i know... it's more than most ppl, but that's really the 1 thing we wanted perfect)

- honeymoon - rm5k (bali 5 nights in an exclusive private villa... perfect)

- Gown & suit - RM3k

The rest is miscellaneous... like my MUA, ang paos, facial package etc

See... it's all about prioritising on what you wanted, I spent a bomb on AD PG, but still manage to keep the budget within reasonable numbers

House renovation and having babies are the ones that really cost a lot of money... getting married is just beginning... so agreed with other forumers... don't start your new life with a debt, cos there's so much more to come

i just went through my wedding dinner about 2 years ago. Actually, it does not cost that much, a wedding but what is expensive is after the wedding dinner, getting your own place, renovating, etc.

For the Wedding Preparation

Lai Kam - RM5K to RM10K

Rings - RM1K to RM3K (for a pair)

Photo - RM2K to RM3K (for basic package)

Roast Pig - RM500 to RM1K (depending on size)

Kah Lui Ping - RM300 to RM1K (depending on amount)

Car Rental - RM500 (Waxing and Petrol + Ang Pow for good fren)

Ang Pow for AD - RM500.

You just need about RM20K cash, which includes Lai Kam.

For AD, be prepared to "lose" about RM5K to RM10K, depending on your number of tables and whether you have liquor. My advice is for liquor to br BYO and not order from Hotel.

The actual AD cost, negotiate to pay after AD. but if you go to KL Hilto, its 30% on booking, 50% on food tasting and 20%, 2 weeks before AD. One of my colleague fren did about 50 tables there at RM1.5K. Respect the credit limit of her HB credit card

So, in all, you need RM30K for the weddng dinner. Between now and then of about 2 years, its about RM2K a month or RM1K per person, per month.

This does not include renovation etc, buying new furniture. That is a killer cos min you need to make a house liveable is RM50K to RM80K, solid cash.

Good luck.

We took a year to save up to buy an apt + furniture, then straight after that another year to save up for the wedding.

I found it very hard at 1st because before I met my husband, I'm the type that will go shopping for fun with friends & just buy stuff without thinking. Haha, at that point in time, I'd a nice wardrobe but little savings so it was so hard for me to change my financial habits to plan for long term.

Basically, we had a grand wedding in budget way. Here's our result.

1. BS - RM3500 (included gowns, acc, bridal & heng tai car deco, hand bouquet, upgrading, & all hidden cost)

2. Church Wedding - RM500 (Including flowers, deco, choir & band, pre-marriage course)

3. Invitation cards - RM700 (we did 3 cards for 3 wedding dinner venue & 1 card for church wedding with our pictures)

4. 3 venues Dinner & Entertainers at restaurant- Ang pows can cover this expenses

5. Red Wine - RM2000 for 12 dozens

6. Hard liquor - RM1200 for 10 bottles

7. Beer - RM1400 for 2 barrels

8. AD angpows - RM1700

9. Guo Da Li - RM300 (everything bought in Johor)

10. Catering - RM 1400

11. Wedding Rings - RM2200 (with 0.8k diamond)

12. AD, Dinner & Church Photographer - RM2000 (impressive work)

13. AD, Dinner & Church Make Up Artist - RM1000 (so natural & elegant look)

14. Hotel for relatives - RM300 (friends paid back these expenses)

15. Others - RM300 (handbands, corsages, bridalroom deco, wedding shoe, etc)

Overall we oni spent abt 15k for our wedding after covering our angpows. The gold we get not kira yet. :)

My father always said to me, the more generous we are, the more generous we will receive.

Yah, it's really true & we had a wonderful wedding.

& when we attend other friends wedding, our friends often mention abt how organise & grand is my wedding. Opps...hehe...

Why you all no lose money one?

Hmm... I dont really know how to make money from wedding dinner because its so expensive nowadays compared to the old days.

Anyway, the breakdown of the financial meltdown...

Stuffs that I paid with my money...

1. Bedroom set RM5k++

2. Photo shooting RM6k

3. Wedding ring pair RM2k++

4. Ang pao RM1k

Stuffs that paid with dad's help...

1. Ping Kam RM5k

2. Pre Wedding Buffet RM10k

3. Liquor RM10k

4. Abalone RM7k ( for wedding dinner dish)

Really can make money from wedding??? After deducting the ang paos, left a few K to cover the liquor but even after cover, still cost RM10k.

Not serving abalone lar.. actually just those canned one which add into one of the dish instead of fake one lor.

Those who serve real abalone like a few rare occasion where my parents did went to really each person one abalone and one big bowl of personal shark fin.. if those type sure pokai liao cos heard my dad said RM1.8k per table. Imagine 100 tables would be like 180k, sure 100k gone there even if they manage like 80k of angpao.

until today neither one of us dared to list down what we've decided on so far...too scary

its lousy planning i know. we did do rough calculation before but it seems everything was above our initial plan.

at first it was within the budget then once thing started adding up we just got sick n tired of calculating anymore,

we came to a point where we just agreed to go with the flow and leave everything till after the dinner.

talking n stressing about money, trying to fit everything into the budget just made things ugly for us.

it was hard to enjoy the whole process n we just got so sick of worrying.

i do agree we both have lousy money management, T__T especially me.

i also know its not the way we should do things in future but im willing to let all barriers slide this time as its once in a lifetime.

many say its bad to get in debt coz of a wedding but at this point we really dont want to bother much anymore. (that doesnt mean we're going overboard!!)

it didnt just affect us but our loved ones who helped chip in to help us out..

since i think its time to face the reality im gonna list it down n show hubby latter =x

ROM

5 tables - RM 3.8K paid by mum

my dress - RM200 sis in law sponsor RM100

his top - RM100+

Rings

engagement - RM5.6k

wedding 2 rings - RM 2.1k

BS photoshoots

Ivory romance - RM1k

Keep gallery - RM400 sis in law sponsored RM200

Victoria - RM12k

photoshoots etc

MTM WG - RM2.5K Dad sponsored

costume jewelry one set - RM200

Flowers for shooting DIY - RM100

3 metalic Helium balloons - RM48

other decorative props - RM100+

(the bs even commented we r the first couple they've seen bring so much 'kah chang')

GDL

Lai kum - RM8888 (8 tables to mum)

AD morning

Ang pows misc. - RM1k

Food - RM200

Cake - auntie making

Dinner

24 tables - RM24k

Decorations - RM3.8k

Balloons - RM450

deco i bought - RM200+

AD pg - RM1800

AD MUA - RM1160

Liquor - hubby bro sponsor 2 carton just nice one table one bottle.

Rough total we spent so far = RM63,046.

amount spent on us by family = RM 6,600.

if i nvr made this list i nvr would have known. i was expecting about 50k max >.<

i cant say i regret our choices but i guess i would have made some changes? =/

i seriously take back what i said above about going overboard..i nvr KNEW!!

wow, aisumomo, rm60k+ is abig sum. but u havent got ur angpow yet mah. so should be lesser rite?

for me, well, when i decided to skip wedding dinner, all my married friends told me dinner is the time for making money. but i doubt on it. since FH's relative are very geng on liquor drinking. so we will definitely loss on tis area.

but anyway, we cut off the dinner cos dont want to mafan so much. just do the chut mun stuff.

initially just budget rm15k for wedding + rm10k for honeymoon. whatever extra i need to topup :dry:

BS - RM2k, now pula RM6k (i top up RM2k)

Gown (PD & ROM) - RM100

Ring - engagement RM1.5k, wedding ring RM500++ (cheap cheap)

Lai kum - RM5k

GDL - RM500 (liquor & others, can ohh?)

Siu Chu - RM1k

VG - RM1k

Tai Kam Jie - RM380

Catering & canopy - nite b4 wedding & lunch on wedding day - RM4k

wedding dinner for family - RM1k

Angpow & mics - RM2k

so far, is the BS we totally under budget. then i bought alot of mics - ribbon & craft stuff for diy - RM500++ , then ROM lunch - RM2k i need to pay myself lor.

So now, FH "upgrade" his budget to RM20k for wedding + RM15k for honeymoon. haha the rest he said i really have to top up since currently his saving already gone! cos we just put a deposit for another condo. luckily our BS, ROM, honeymoon & AD's date are pretty far from each other, so we manage to save extra money in between. just pray pray nothing happen in between. cos we really dont wan to be in debt.

erm frankly the ang pows arent gonna help much we already cfm making a loss. if lucky 3/4 can cover the dinner tables.

we already roughly gauged the amount he will be able to get back from his relatives n me for my side.

he told me frankly that he doesnt have high hopes from his side as during his brothers wedding most of the $$ came from business friends.

since hubby is not a business man whats left is those that give yee see type.

i know my friends n family are the type that will calculate to at least cover their own seats.

closer family members give several times that. the question now is how much can my side cover the other tables.

the both of us will be happy if we end up with less then 5k debt for the wedding dinner. not even including deco n all.

think will take a few months to clear the credit card bills =x

but we're still optimistic ^__^ n happy!~

Not serving abalone lar.. actually just those canned one which add into one of the dish instead of fake one lor.

i been to one wedding dinner with abalone served, those small small one.

haha but funny was the 1st 3 dishes was really "cheap" but after tat only 2 (abalone & siu chu) is consider good. i think the couple trying to balance the cost quo.

erm frankly the ang pows arent gonna help much we already cfm making a loss. if lucky 3/4 can cover the dinner tables.

we already roughly gauged the amount he will be able to get back from his relatives n me for my side.

he told me frankly that he doesnt have high hopes from his side as during his brothers wedding most of the $$ came from business friends.

since hubby is not a business man whats left is those that give yee see type.

i know my friends n family are the type that will calculate to at least cover their own seats.

closer family members give several times that. the question now is how much can my side cover the other tables.

the both of us will be happy if we end up with less then 5k debt for the wedding dinner. not even including deco n all.

think will take a few months to clear the credit card bills =x

but we're still optimistic ^__^ n happy!~

ya, i guess better dont put high hope at the angpow.

This is a rough (estimated) cost coz it's been a while since I last looked at the cost for my own wedding plus all my files and such are back at home. Yes, I was that determined to keep track of my expenditure. =.=

ROM

Dress: RM70

Shoes: RM60

Shawl: FOC (DIY - I bought the yarn many moons ago for a separate project and decided to use it for the ROM instead)

Flowers: RM15 (flowers, and ribbon) (DIY)

Rings

Wedding (2 rings): RM1.3K max

Photography

BS: RM3.5K (including top-up)

Engagement: RM1K

AD: RM1K

Wedding prep

Paper related items for the following (these include stickers, gold pens and etc): RM250 (DIY)

Dinner and buffet invitations (total at least 300 pieces)

Announcement cards (ROM)

Thank you cards

Heritage cards (for dinner tables)

Wedding favours (packaging)

CD case, labels

CDs: FOC - took from Dad's existing black CD supplies (DIY)

Wedding favours (tea & sugar coated almonds): RM200 (and I still have leftovers) (DIY)

Outfits (mine - modern kebaya, two cheongsams, shoes): RM500 including material, labour costs, and pins for the kebaya top

Outfits (HB - one full suit and one blazer): RM1.5K (shocking how his is more ex than mine!!!!!)

MUA: RM500 (or less, I think - it's been ages)

Angpaus: nearly RM500 (max)

Bridesmaid's gifts: Less than RM100

Photoalbum & posters: RM500 max (Photobook promo, I think but I used half for HB's travel posters and non-wedding stuff)

Wedding cake: DIY

Booze: 24 bottles of French wine (direct from the factory) - RM720; the rest came from my dad's "stash"

Dinner: Approx RM8K (super small wedding! :lol:)

House buffet: Mum bayar coz her treat. :smile:

Note: My mum kept the angpau from the bride's side from the dinner but according to her, the dinner balanced out nicely with the usual loss for the booze (Dad's stash mah) and the pingkam, she ask my HB to give me (so no loss there).

Rough total: RM19K with what I suspect to be a lot of extras since I don't have the exact figure. :smile:

We managed to cut costs because I DIY a lot of things as well as asked for help from family and friends OR forgo certain things like deco and VG lor. In fact, my dad was the VG for my wedding dinner. :lol:

As for our honeymoon, we didn't go for one...unless you count last year's trip around the Alps as a honeymoon. That one was a cheapo. We only paid for the car rental and one night's stay at a hotel because I was cranky and wanted a shower plus food (no restaurants just buy from grocery store and makan). Otherwise, we just pitched a tent next to the car and tidur. :lol:

Wedding costs $$, new house lagi more! @.@ just for the house itself, up to now already RM40k+

As for wedding, we need another RM30k+ pending for payment, those already paid nearly RM15k. Luckily the honeymoon to Penang & Langkawi is from govt once-in-3 years passage and still have balance! hahaahha otherwise we need to spare few more K for honeymoon.

I also don't dare to calc the 'grant' total, I takut I will faint! haahahha