jean_jj

Wrought Iron Vs Normal Iron grill

Hi All,

Just wanted to find out everyone's opinion on wrough Iron grill & normal iron grill. Coz am currently deciding which one to use for my house as we are now in the midst of reno n need to confirm which type we want soon.

Oh Yah, if u have any nice design of grill, appreciate if you could share as well :)

Thanks a lot

last time we choose between wrought iron,stainless steel and a harden aluminium.

we have disqualified normal iron in the first place as it needed more maintenance.they have convinced use that the harden aluminium is better than stainless steel bcos its really hard to cut using any normal cutter.My FH got a hand on cutting it n proven my FH not being able to cut it using the normal cutter.we like it coz it looks more stylish than the conventional stainless steel but bcos of the price,we have to disqualified aluminium.its more expensive than stainless steel by a few Ks....then for wrought iron,its nice with the design plus no need to paint it anymore...if i were to choose between wrought iron n normal iron,i would choose wrought iron coz it has a lower maintenance standard. u have to paint ur iron grill when the paint peeled off.My FH very lazy to do the painting.

Hmm harden aluminium? hmmm I have not heard about this usage for grill. Maybe I should check it out.

Actually my concern for wrought iron is that it might be too costly for me. But FH wants it... so now, me also dunno how~

If possible, I would choose NO GRILL at all. Generally staying in a house full of grill make me feels like staying in a jail. Depending on the purpose of putting up a grill, if's for security reason, then perhaps you may opt for alarm system; if's for safety reason (just in case that you might fall off from the window), then dun think there's any other choices.

My old house used to have grills and I hate it very much. Finally, our new house is grill-free as it's located in a gated community with tight security surveillance system.

anyway the world we live in right now, its better to have alarm system AND grill... cant trust anyone... even gated community said to have tightest surveillance system, good guards and etc... end up, there are many lawsuits (break in, robbery) against the property developer... better be safe than sorry... just my opinion ya... not to offend anyone...

babysiew is right too. I did heard of some lawsuit in Seiramas as a Dato's house was broken in some years ago and the guard was killed! Haiz.. but i really love my grill-free house... Aiya.. will just insure my household contents la. Worse come to worse, I will be compensated for my losses and get to buy all new stuff with the claims. :rolleyes:

bunny, i am not taking about household content... we can always buy back these stuff... wat i am taking about is our life... it is not insurance-able... nowadays, ppl just kill to get wat they want... no need to blink one eye also... scary...

hi all,

would like to ask?

may I ask the average price for wrought iron and normal iron grill?

and if there are any reasonable suppliers around.

regards,

SC.

depends on the design, typically i think it will cost 2.x compare to normal iron grill from the quote i got b4.

eg: rm450 for iron door, wrought iron will be around rm1200.

One bad thing about wrought iron is it is kind of thin, although it is strong, it can be cut easily because of the thickness. Some ppl choose normal iron with power coating(it looks like a thick wrought iron, some ppl call "fake wrought iron"), is thick but not solid. Such iron can get rusty of coating drop or some how water get inside.

In general, stainless stell = 3x wrought iron and wrought iron = 3x iron

Recently price of iron raised a lot, it might be passed down to end consumer like us as well.

hi,

im also having the same dilemma. Asked for the quote for a stainless stell grill from this shop in Dataran Sunway, Kota Damansara and to my horror, was quoted ard RM2.2k for a standard sized door.

Is that what's the market price? I would like to have one before i move into my condo in the next couple of weeks but am shying away due to the price.

Homedec 08 will be at KLCC convention centre starting this Thurs, gurlnextdoor, maybe u can go there to check out the price? Am planning to go there, coz beside this am also looking for good alarm system, door knob.. etc etc :P

thank you.

You're right. Am planning to check out the HomeDec tomorrow. Perhaps i'll get a good deal there.

However, was opting for stainless steel coz its more stronger. But will keep my options open. The wraught iron grills are so pretty. But fiancee thinks it's too much :-)

Cheers

Just ask a few more, you should be able to have a rough idea. I spent more than 10 times that price for whole house, hopefully is a good investment. Nowadays iron price getting higher and higher, you might be getting even higher price a few months later.

hi,

im also having the same dilemma. Asked for the quote for a stainless stell grill from this shop in Dataran Sunway, Kota Damansara and to my horror, was quoted ard RM2.2k for a standard sized door.

Is that what's the market price? I would like to have one before i move into my condo in the next couple of weeks but am shying away due to the price.

The price of iron has dropped... so its time to get these stuff hehe... am gonna get wrought iron for the home... hope the investment is good enuff... the shop is own by my hubby's fren... and he gave quite a good price as we have compared with other shops... he drew 4 designs for us and not bad... :)

The price of iron has dropped... so its time to get these stuff hehe... am gonna get wrought iron for the home... hope the investment is good enuff... the shop is own by my hubby's fren... and he gave quite a good price as we have compared with other shops... he drew 4 designs for us and not bad... :)

how much woh per feet ?

which type is most hard to break? is it wrought iron? does it mean it's most expensive also? i personally don't like stainless steel. any more other types of material for grill? pls share, thanks..

i'm also considering normal gril or wroght iron. The price is almost double. The market rate for wronght iron is rm18/sqft and around rm9 for normal iron only. hmm.. if let's say it's condo, will it make any difference since outside not much ppl see also :p

Hi,

I've installed wrought iron grille for my main door while all windows used normal iron but spray painted in wrought iron color. Liked it very much minus the cost! :wub:

ff... wat i am taking about is our life... it is not insurance-able...

U're wrong. You can buy life insurance and usually, can get discount if you buy

for whole family.

Better yet, if you die, you can have grill free grave and grill free heaven.

p/s

If you're a bad person, you will be grilled in hell instead.

anyone has contact for grill supplier? just need the most basic grill for an apartment. pls share your reliable contact, and reasonable price one. Am quoted rm 750 for just a small area by a contractor, i find it crazy price!