agyy

If u r an invited guest, which would u prefer more? Garden buffet style wedding or those air-conditioned restaurant with food served?

Please choose.....  

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm having my mini wedding lunch in KL (around 70pax) on 13 Sept 08, 12.30pm-3pm after our church ceremony in the morning. The guests are mostly our colleagues and friends. We'll include our own family members as well but no relatives. I'm struggling between garden buffet style lunch and those air-conditioned restaurant with food served. Would like to hear some opinion from u all.

Hi Agyy,

Garden style dinner is special but I still vote for the tradisional dinner coz i still prefer to have dinner at the restaurant with ppl to serve you :P the reason why i choose this is most of my relatives & friends are more to "China-man" style so i need to take care of them as they are my wedding guests :rolleyes: i wish all of them can enjoy my dinner :)

P/S: Sometime on the wedding dinner issue is very difficult to decide by us (mean my FH & myself) coz it will involve both parties parents opinion. :unsure:

wsryrinrin, thx for ur feedback. Initially we're thinking restaurant too, but for our 70 pax wedding lunch (Means 7 tables) , looks a bit odd and not nice. Even though the restaurant can find a smaller hall or do partition for us, but still looks very odd. Somemore, if it is in the restaurant, besides playing slideshow, what kind of activities should we prepare to entertain such a mini crowds? But if garden buffet style wedding, guests can walk around to chit-chat while enjoying their food and our slideshows. The feeling is more relax and happy..... how oh.....really struggle...Pls give more feedback.

wsryrinrin, thx for ur feedback. Initially we're thinking restaurant too, but for our 70 pax wedding lunch (Means 7 tables) , looks a bit odd and not nice. Even though the restaurant can find a smaller hall or do partition for us, but still looks very odd. Somemore, if it is in the restaurant, besides playing slideshow, what kind of activities should we prepare to entertain such a mini crowds? But if garden buffet style wedding, guests can walk around to chit-chat while enjoying their food and our slideshows. The feeling is more intimate and happy..... how oh.....really struggle...Pls give more feedback.

emm... or u may find a small restaurant with nice environment, romantic and cosy ambience. During the dinner there are still many things you can arrange. For example you may ask the restaurant to design the dancing pool in the centre and arrange an MC to cheer up the atsmosphere and the guests at the same time and made ur guests can enjoy it together with u and ur FH.

If u really find it difficult to decide i suggest you may look for wedding planner??? There are many weddng planner who can handle it very well and i had asked the price b4 this their rates like from the min of RM3k onwards.

I honestly don't care. :) The wedding day and event should be about the couple not about me.

If you want something where you can relax and mingle with your guests, then a garden buffet lunch is better. If you want to go for something more formal, then a sit-down course meal is better.

Restaurants are able to partition a small section for you. My friend just had her wedding luncheon (in Australia at a restaurant - small hall) for 25 people and it was a buffet style where people could stand, eat and mingle around. My dinner was just 12 tables and the restaurant partitioned a small hall for us. Their usual partition was for three tables. :)

All depends on what you want really. If you're into restaurants with cosy environments, check out Ciao and other similar ones.

hi aggy,

i had both a traditional chinese wedding cremony+dinner for family/relatives & a poolside ceremony+wedding luncheon at a hotel for colleagues & friends. i personally prefer the luncheon bcos :-

1) no need to wait for all people to arrive then only start serving the food

2) can mingle around freely

3) overall atmosphere is more relax

4) wont worry food will run out for late comers

hope this help!

Hi, janicelly,

Thanks for sharing your experience. May I know where u have ur poolside ceremony+wedding luncheon ? What time was your luncheon start and end? Mind sharing the details of your poolside ceremony+wedding luncheon such as the venue, quotation, how many guests u invited ,how was the food, what kind activities u arranged and how was the weather impact on the wedding? Sorry ah.....so many questions.....Thanks in advance

P/S: I've PM u. Pls check your mail.

Personally, I don't really mind if it's garden / sit down / even if it's just in a mamak stall... :D If I'm invited to one's wedding, I'd feel honoured.. and I agree with mei that it should be about the couple (but at times parents over-ruled :P like your's truly here).. But as usual, we do still think about the guests preference / convenience / etc..

if you want air-conditioned place and also buffet to get to mingle and chat with guests, you can consider having it in a function room in a hotel... You can check out Saujana hotel's function rooms... They have a garden / courtyard in the middle of their function room..

I was invited to a garden style buffet wedding dinner before. It was quite nice but I worried whether it will rain and the air was quite hot and stuffy and there were some bugs/insects from the garden flying around. I was bitten by mosquitoes too. I wouldn't want to go to a garden style buffet lunch unless the air is cool and dry and comfortable and clean and mosquito/insect free. :)

I've never been to a garden wedding so if I get to choose as an invited guest....I'd love to experience a garden wedding! Couldn't have on my own because the crowd was too large.....had 500+ guests....and my relatives quite conservative....may complain.....so sigh....decided on a traditional wedding banquet....less hassle and more venue to choose from. But would be lovely to renew our vows in a garden setting....maybe for our 5th anniversary....haha....

I will prefer garden wedding which I'm longing for =P

But for eldest they would prefer air-conditioned restaurant with good food served. =)

Look at your guests list, are they majority young people or eldest? if less eldest you can have a separate restaurant makan with them. =) for my case is 400+ guests, majority are young people but my parents will definately oppose garden wedding.

since its an afternoon affair id prefer a garden setting.

not much point is getting dressed up for a hotel/restaurant dining in the afternoon.

the small number of guest would better suit a casual setting. ^__^

that day we performed for a couple for their wedding, i quite like their style, 18th April they do wedding in restaurant and invited all uncle aunty.follow all march in, cake cutting and toasting. then 19th they did 1 more small party in garden style inviting some very closed friend, around 80 ppl .. 4pm take photos in cyberview lodge garden, then 6pm march in.. change wedding band, after that cocktail until 8pm.. then only serve the main course.. they really hv alot of fun with friends and can be crazy on 19th.. coz all are friends, no uncle aunty lor.. hehe..

Garden party is nice but can be quite hot in Malaysia. And the weather is quite hard to predict nowadays. I still vote for indoor.

When I was trying to plan my wedding, I too had dreams of a garden wedding but there was just too many things to think about for a garden wedding - ie weather, mosquitoes, ground conditions (if it is too wet the guests' shoes will get dirty), flat ground to walk on (in case you have older guests who can't see so well), etc!

So I opted for a nice cozy wedding instead in Bankers Club and my guests absolutely loved it! :)

I dun like to sweat, that's y I always like air-conditioned places. So I vote for air-conditioned wedding, especially in hotels.... :tongue:

And yes, no mosquitoes, and dun have to worry if it rains... or else the ground will get really sloppy and may ruin your wedding gown...

i think the pro for garden wedding is u can have more interactions with your guests..

i think if the venue is not somewhere hot (ie cameron/genting or overseas) then it's ok.

if in malaysia, i prefer air-con venue. no sweating even under thick long gown and make up. :cool:

Malaysian typical tropical weather contraint, indoor dinner is practical.

I sweat the whole morning & afternoon during my chuch wedding & AD.

It's hard for me to control my mood due to the uncomfortable situation.

At night, it was dinner in indoor place with aircond.

That was my most comfortable moment & I can't stop moving & dancing in my own wedding dinner. :)

These comments below and thereafter were written by AMANDA ANGELS many years ago....before she passed the baton to me as the Director in our Empire Entertainment CO:

Garden wedding is popular in Europe and USA...especially during autumn and Spring where the weather is sometimes even cooler than Genting. No matter how high the temerature, it will never be as hot as in Malaysia. That is why it is practical....over there!

Malaysia? Unpredictable weather, irritating mosquitos, Rain, super hot weather, air pollution,stong winds etc...these are things (that Malaysia has loads!) that will destroy a garden wedding. Too many times I have seen garden weddings in KL spoilt by the rain. Guests all sweating, bride and groom sweating...poor bride's make up literally melted and the discomfort of having to touch up her make up WHILE sweat continues to come out on her warm face...OMG!. You can see all the guests were very uncomfortable cos too hot...babies crying, kids whining...MOSQUITOS biting and having a gala blood feasting time, people suffering from the itch form mosquito bites, chaotic indeed during the wedding. dash2.gif

When it's not hot...rain pulak happily poured down...creating soggy and muddy walkway...which makes all the girls' gowns coated with mud and wet angry.gif , guests scurrying all over the venue for shade, old people falling down due to slippery walkway, etc...and your garden Decor also drenched in rain. dash2.gif

Personally I have witnessed many, many garden weddings that are far more uncomfortable than comfy ones. When asked ,the guests said they wished the wedding was indoors so they need not go through such unpleasant moments.

At least indoor has nice air cond, no rain, no sun, washrooms are nearby all ready...no matter super HOT weather or super Rain come.

We always advise couples to have their weddings indoors. It is far more practical in Malaysia. No need to 'torture' your guests..and you too need not 'torture' yourself on your big day.

Hi All, I was just reading your comments.

Personally, I prefer indoor wedding dinner eventhough I thought of having a garden wedding.

I went to a friend's wedding dinner outdoor last time. It started late at about 7.30pm when it starts to get dark. I think they want to wait for dark for the fireworks. :sauer2: while we all sweat and were hungry. I didnt see what the couple were doing at the stage coz I was more concern with the sweat and mosquitoes! Sorry to say but it is the MOST uncomfortable wedding I ever went to. My whole top was wet and everyone was sweating non-stop (the fan can't reach everyone).

Then buffet time and everyone rushed to get food. The uncle behind me was grumbling saying that have to pay and queue to get own food. :lol:

Honestly, I cant wait to leave. Everyone left early and didnt really stay after the main events are over.

That's my comment from a guest point of view.

Good luck!! :smile:

Hi Carine & Amanda Angels,

gosh is having garden wedding that awful?! my FH and I thought of having garden wedding concept as we intend to invite only close frens and family, hence the idea of a more intimate and garden theme wedding is more appealing to us.

mind sharing where was the garden wedding you girls went to?

These comments below and thereafter were written by AMANDA ANGELS many years ago....before she passed the baton to me as the Director in our Empire Entertainment CO:

juni...it does not matter where the garden wedding is. Any outdoor wedding in Malaysia will have all these 'torturing' elements waiting for you and your guests. I am still bewildered why some people think a garden wedding is romantic? ohmy.gif

Ya...It looks so 'nice' in Hollywood movies...but then again...movies are all still movies and not the real deal. Movies will always show you the ideal garden wedding...perfect weather...no mosquitos...very cooling breeze...no gloomy rain etc.

I have yet to hear any complain or regret from any couple who took our advice to scrap the garden wedding setting. Really, dont fall into the over-hyped 'garden wedding' thingy. It's nothing like what you expected....and dont torture your guests. They are there to enjoy your wedding...not be punished.

I can attest to that. I attended a family friend's garden wedding in high summer in Melbourne... and it was one of the most horrid experiences ever.

The weather was 38 degrees that day (similar to Malaysia heat, but not humid), and she had a 3pm ceremony. The decorations were set up in the morning, so by the time the guests arrived the poor flower decorations were looking a little worse for wear. Some had even started to wilt! No amount of respraying with water could help maintain their freshness though.

There were a lot of flies buzzing around... my family were swatting flies away from the food throughout the reception. My friend's makeup melted in the heat and had to be retouched - lucky thing her MUA was also her bridesmaid. She decided not to have the veil at all because when it was over her face, she started feeling really hot and sweaty, and the back of her neck started to sweat under the veil.

I felt really sorry for my friend - I know that she went through a lot of effort to organize the most perfect and romantic garden ceremony but it was a pity that the weather wasn't on her side that day. It is hard to maintain the romantic ambiance when you are ambushed by flies, mosquitoes, and having to worry about your makeup melting from your sweat! Honestly I would have thought that having an indoor wedding in that season/weather would be more practical because you don't have to worry about all these things, and you get to be relaxed and enjoy your big day!

I agree with Amanda. Movies will only show you the perfect garden wedding - what they don't show you is what season and temperature the garden wedding is set in! The best temperature to have an outdoor wedding is around the 18-22 degree temperature, where it is too cold for flies and mosquitoes.

I'm not sure if Cameron Highlands or Genting is suitable for a garden wedding because I have never been there, but just looking at the mean temperature it looks alright.

juni...it does not matter where the garden wedding is. Any outdoor wedding in Malaysia will have all these 'torturing' elements waiting for you and your guests. I am still bewildered why some people think a garden wedding is romantic? :ohmy:

Ya...It looks so 'nice' in Hollywood movies...but then again...movies are all still movies and not the real deal. Movies will always show you the ideal garden wedding...perfect weather...no mosquitos...very cooling breeze...no gloomy rain etc.

I have yet to hear any complain or regret from any couple who took our advice to scrap the garden wedding setting. Really, dont fall into the over-hyped 'garden wedding' thingy. It's nothing like what you expected....and dont torture your guests. They are there to enjoy your wedding...not be punished.

I can attest to that. I attended a family friend's garden wedding in high summer in Melbourne... and it was one of the most horrid experiences ever.

The weather was 38 degrees that day (similar to Malaysia heat, but not humid), and she had a 3pm ceremony. The decorations were set up in the morning, so by the time the guests arrived the poor flower decorations were looking a little worse for wear. Some had even started to wilt! No amount of respraying with water could help maintain their freshness though.

There were a lot of flies buzzing around... my family were swatting flies away from the food throughout the reception. My friend's makeup melted in the heat and had to be retouched - lucky thing her MUA was also her bridesmaid. She decided not to have the veil at all because when it was over her face, she started feeling really hot and sweaty, and the back of her neck started to sweat under the veil.

I felt really sorry for my friend - I know that she went through a lot of effort to organize the most perfect and romantic garden ceremony but it was a pity that the weather wasn't on her side that day. It is hard to maintain the romantic ambiance when you are ambushed by flies, mosquitoes, and having to worry about your makeup melting from your sweat! Honestly I would have thought that having an indoor wedding in that season/weather would be more practical because you don't have to worry about all these things, and you get to be relaxed and enjoy your big day!

I agree with Amanda. Movies will only show you the perfect garden wedding - what they don't show you is what season and temperature the garden wedding is set in! The best temperature to have an outdoor wedding is around the 18-22 degree temperature, where it is too cold for flies and mosquitoes.

I'm not sure if Cameron Highlands or Genting is suitable for a garden wedding because I have never been there, but just looking at the mean temperature it looks alright.

HI Darling & Amanda,

thanks for your advice. Then again I do not intend to have it during day time. definitely right like what you girls say..makeup melting and all my guests will be suffering due to the heat etc..

i tot of having it at night like places such as Passion Road, Tamarind but then again the fact of mosquitos (or rain!) is also bugging me...argh confused :dash2:

juni...dont say you were not warned ha! Passion road or tamarind both are outdoors...and mosquitos will be deighted to see you and your guests there. I performed in Tamarind springs before. Gosh...the mosquitos were working overtime that night during the wedding dinner. So many guests complained during the dinner about the mosquitos biting them so much that the staff had to put extra mosquito coils under the tables...which in turn made the whole place smell terrible. OMG!

Even children were not spared either. Some were crying in discomfort cos too many mosquito bites left their skins itching almost the whole night. Aiyoh!

Hmm...I still don't get it: Why are there still people who want a garden wedding in Malaysia?