Sign in to follow this  
Beanie

Annulling a Marriage

if yr marriage has been consummated, i don't think they'll grant u annulment? definitely u can ask for divorce, but must have a reason for it. have u tried contacting a lawyer?

Dear Unicorn,

I don't think you are go on the "non-consummation" ground for annulment. The only way would be if you can prove that you HB is infected by some sort of STD prior to the marriage and you have no knowledge of it prior to the marriage.

Frankly speaking, divorce is a better route for you as you can make him pay you maintenance since you are going to have a baby soon. You can dun need to stay with him during the 2 years duration as you can always seek for separation pending fulfilling the 2 years period and file in a divorce paper immediate after that.

As HotWife stated earlier, an annulment only applies under the following circumstances:

1) After having registered your marriage, both you and your life partner have never stayed together as husband and wife. That is, your marriage has not been consummated. (you have to prove it)

2) The marriage is null and void because either party was intoxicated (drunk etc) during the process of marriage

3) Either party was currently married to someone else at the time of marriage

4) The parties involved in the marriage are related (to a certain degree)

5) The parties entered into marriage with one party not knowing that the other party has a sexually transmitted disease.

In your case, you are already expecting a child and you have stayed with him before. So unless he has an STD, it is very unlikely that you can annul your marriage.

Like BunnyNWife suggested, since you're expecting, why not seek a divorce?

But really, why did you marry him only to seek a divorce less than 10 months later and with a child on the way? Plus all this moving in and out...what I can tell you is to be prepared for a long and tough road ahead. There is a reason as to why a divorce is not easy.

I feel slightly nauseous now..

Thank you all for the feedback. I will try to get in touch with a lawyer soon and see what other options I may have.

And yes meiteoh, I see that long and tough road ahead.. :(

Can anyone recommend me any lawyers who handle cases for marriage annulment? I have consulted a few lawyers and was told that divorce is the only way to get out of the marriage. I have been waiting for one year because of this. I still have not reached the two year period to file for divorce. The marriage is not consummated.

Thanks.

Hello guys, 

I got married with my American Girlsfriend. She came to Malaysia to see me and we got married. The marriage happened 2 days before she flew back. We never consumated the marriage before she flew back to US, since then we have not seen each other again. We broke up on the phone few weeks after she went back. I stay in the UK now and she is in US (none of us is in Malaysia now). So my question is, how do we go about the annulment of this marriage?...will it be possible to do it from outside malaysia?