dwt

Cost/budget of renovation - Setting up new home

Hi Gals,

Anyone of you moved into your own house and set up home for the first time after getting married? We're saving money for our first home and wondering how much current renovation, furniture, appliances cost etc. How much did you budget? What is the final cost? What is the biggest expense? How long did it take?

Do you typically go for the best affordable furnishings or the cheapest (upgrade later) for your first home?

I am hoping to get good quality stuff which needs not be top of the range. I know someone who spent over rm100k while someone else said rm40-50k is enough.

what do you think?

thanks!

I think roughly u need rm40-50k for the house... if u wan to renovate and hack then rm100k...

Well I think shld go for more durable furnitures like Homelife... Thats just my opinion... My bf and I are saving for our furnitures and fittings... Budget is about rm40-50k for all the appliances, furnitures and fittings...

Also not sure whether it is enuff or not...

Anyway if just both of u staying... dont need to furnish all first... kids room can furnish later according to their gender....

Most important, masterbedroom, kitchen, livingroom, dining room, downstair guest room... thats all... hehe

Hi dwt,

In Regarding the question that u've raised, i am in the midst of getting all the quotation for my new house renovation which will going to hand over the house key at the end of this mth. I've done the survey and found one contractor who able to quote me slightly cheaper compare with market rate as my FH quite close with him.

Kitchen - going to extend 5 feets and upstair will be extended at the back for hanging the clothes.

Floor - I will replace all the tiles on downstair with 2 X 2 feets tiles (white horse) till kitchen. The wet kitchen's walls will be fully on tiles as well. I am taking the comtemporary design. Floor +Kitchen cost me RM25k

Wardrobe for masterbed room - build in design , and i took sliderdrobe company as quality wise is very good, lifetime warranty on the slider door and anti jump system. That cost me RM5400

CEiling - will go for plaster ceiling for whole house and my colleague found one quoted quite reasonable price. i haven't received the quotation for my house. WIll update u on this.

Other rooms furniture - will go for the one set bedroom kind of furniture - around 3-5k/room.

Curtain - my mom in law good on this , so we will buy material by own (in house production , hehehe)

Grill - will go to check the Deco fair at MV in this saturday.

My FH good in designing and he draw out the actual floor plan with all the furniture fitted. We roughly have a final figure on it, in total it cost us around 60k

Hope the above information will help. By the way, my house is a 2 storey house and build up area is 1800 sq feet (before extending the kitchen)

Dwt,

Hi! Well..I think yes you might need around RM40-60K at least for the new house renovation and furnitures.But that also depends very much on what kind of renovations and furnitures you are intend to have.

An advise from my friends is that starts shopping for furnitures during sales..and make a comparisons..if you found the cheap and good 1, book first and arrange for a delivery later..that's what they said...

nanako18,

your house quite big..where are is your new house?

Rgds,

bebepooh

Hi dwt,

It depends on which type of house u are moving in - Condo/ appartment, terrace house or Semi-D

For my Case, we had spent 110K for the renov + Furnishing (Condo - 1300 Sqft)

We demolished wall + build new walls for bedroom + Kitchen, Timber flooring for bedrooms, New paint, Electical wirings, 3 big mirrors, Wooden frame partition = RM 40K (which consider cheap cos HB's friend doing)

All the Curtains, Sofas, Coffee Table, Dining tables, Kitchen, Wardrobe, working table, bed, bedside table, Lightings etc etc roughly RM70K

I'll share more if u r interested.

Hi bebepooh,

My house is at Cheras Vista - mahkota Cheras, the design very nice already, so i only need to renovate the inner part. I have taken the pic and will send to u:)

Those of you who are planning to renovate your new houses, be very careful of the contractor. A friend of mine renovated his house in Bkt. Jalil. They agreed on the price. After everything is done, the contractor asked for RM100k+ which is RM40k+ more than what was agreed. Of course my friend refuse to pay. The contractor threaten my friend and asked gangster to kacau them to the extend that he and his wife don't dare to go in and out of the house at night. Then my friend asked his bro who knows some gangster for help. The gangster settled it for them. Till now, my friend who travels quite frequently dare not let his wife alone at home when he is outstation.

cutiepiggie/bebepooh,

okie , i will posted in on tomorrow. It's on my FH 's hp.

fluene,

thanks for ur advice, the contractor that i engage is doing a project which handle by my FH, so no need to worry about this . But for other couple who going to reno their house, take fluene's advice :)

nanako128, me too, me too. gyyannie@hotmail.com. I love to see nice design home. thanks a million.

hi nanako,

Could i see pics of your house too? e-mail me at dwt_chow@yahoo.com . thanks!

Lynn,

Sounds like you did some really nice renovation on your condo.......any pictures to share? will appreciate any ideas you have. my e-mail add is dwt_chow@yahoo.com

I guess we might be moving to a 3 bedroom link house ...hubby saw something he liked but I have not seen it before.....I am the kidn of person who if renovate, I need to complete everything then only will I rest whcih means i need to save enough......

From your comments i should try to allocate 100k for everything and hopefully, our families will help soem with housewarnign gifts!hahahaha.......

thanks for the caution....my mum's got good contractor, grill, electrical and paint guy so I think they will be fine.....

does anyone know fi there are any online website for furniture in KL?

Very grand entrance. The external design is unique, i like the brown patch near the window.

Intermediate unit won't be very dark?? no sunlight go in right?

Hi Lynn,

Arigato for the compliments. Intermeddiate lot is not dark/dim, i went there at noon and evening and got sunlight go in.

The window at masterbed room kinda wide as well as the slider door at the living room. My house is facing west

Strawberry,

Truly believe one day u will able to get ur dream house as well, thanks for ur compliments.

By the way the developer going to launch another design- balinese style. I wil update u gals once the show unit is ready. Heard the developer said that the selling price will be around 330k for intermmediate lots (22 x70, if not mistaken). That design is very nice hor...

Mine one cost RM270k (20 x70)

Nanako... pls send me ur house decor pictures!!! thanks.. my house is 22 X 75 (2124 square feet) but dont know how to decorate it yet.... me and bf still thinking... but onli will complete early 2008... so still got time to think

nanako,

the balinese one, was that the one they recently advertised? Do you know where's Alam Damai or Cheras Kipark? There's houses for sale there too..