Sign in to follow this  
miche

bridal magazines

Hie there

Not really sure if this is the right forum, but anyway... any of the BTBs here bought any bridal magazines? I got HerWorld Brides and this Wedding Message from HK... but the other day I was in Borders and wow, there's actually quite a lot of M'sian wedding publications...

So was wondering if it's really a good investment, coz is not cheap... Around RM18-RM20 one magazine and I think is mainly the same content... But I'm really interested in Malaysia Bridal Guide volume 9, and also Malaysia Weddings.

So if any of the BTBs have those mags, mind to share your view? Thanks

Before stumbling onto this forum.....I bought all the bridal mags I could find to help me out with planning for my wedding. It helped a lot....gave me ideas for a lot of stuff such as my bridal bouquet, bridal makeup and hairstyles, wedding car deco...etc. It was also easy to search for the vendors. I also really appreciated the planners that usually come with the mag....you know.....what to do one year before, six months before or even the night before. I am a list person.....so I found it extremely helpful. :)

Agree with MsLim. Magazines really help. Gives you lots of ideas. The only bad thing is that you feel like buying everything and doing everything that's shown in the mag :P

Gosh, I'm like you, MsLim... I think the lists and planners are really helpful, to know what to do next, what I missed out or forgot to do...

I like the magazines and some of the ideas are good.. But it's like buying one magazine for just 2 or 3 articles is really expensive lor, especially since I already have my BS and I roughly have an idea in my mind how I want my wedding to be...

But it's so hard to resist buying them T_T I just like seeing what ideas they have even when I already know what I want. I agree that this forum is really helpful and useful, but problem is I don't have much time to log on and check usually... So it's difficult for me to keep up with all the posts, hence the bridal mags...

i use to by loads of bridal magazines but realised they were a waste of money after i found these websites:

wedding bee

the bride's cafe

you can find more links from my blog. although most are based in US, you can still "borrow" their ideas.

Generally they do help a lot. Sometimes I do get knowledge and inspirations from there too.

They do help out in identifying new trends and suggest ideas that one may miss out.

I guess one thing I like about magazines is that it's finite... Like looking for hairstyles online? There's so many websites and I'm the type of person who must see each and every single thing before I feel satisfied.. Even if I've already found a style I like...

I guess too much information overload when I go on sites and forums because there's so much contribution to it

I bought lots of bridal magazine too, since last year. Looking for hairstyles, make-up, gowns... But guess what. When it came to my pre-wedding photography, none of what I read was put into the real act. Hahaha. First, couldn't find my dream gowns. Second, the MUA is so professional that she knew what make-up and hairstyle to do. The location for the PS, well, it's somewhere which I didn't plan to go, but ended up with good photos.

But the magazines do help when you want to know what hairstyles or make-up are in the trend now.

Forums are still the best. Helps and opinions are available at all time. ;)

Yeah besides looking at the bridal mags I also surfed online for ideas.....but still prefer my mags because more colourful.....more practical.....more accessible....easier on the eyes.

Of course in the end it boils down to whether or not your MUA can do what you asked.....or whether your florist has the flowers you set your heart on.....and also whether you BS has your dream gowns!!! For me.....after looking through those mags....I showed my MUA and hairdresser the makeup and hairstyles I wanted.....natural looking makeup and upswept hair with a tiara.....my gown was chosen after deciding that I wanted a strapless gown for an elegant touch.....it was between elegant or sweet.....what a contrast huh.....I tried many sweet-looking gowns but it was just not me....after putting on the strapless duchess satin ivory gown.....it was like.....THAT'S THE ONE....hahahaha.

I also brought my precious mags to Floristika to tell them what I wanted for my bridal bouquet....you know.....there are a lot more choices than just roses and lilies. :) Ended up with a unique cream and green bouquet of cymbidium orchids....I loved it!!!

Also got some ideas to make my own usher cards.....with hubby's help of course. I have since passed my mags on to a friend....I doubt she actually used them but nvm......thanks to the mags I had the wedding I had always dreamt about. :) Yes they may be a tad expensive but definitely cheaper than getting a wedding planner!

I guess one thing I like about magazines is that it's finite... Like looking for hairstyles online? There's so many websites and I'm the type of person who must see each and every single thing before I feel satisfied.. Even if I've already found a style I like...

I guess too much information overload when I go on sites and forums because there's so much contribution to it

LOL.....me too!!! I went almost crazy looking for hairstyles and bridal bouquets online....but in the end found out that those online are normally not suitable for asians.....correct me if I am wrong but I find the styles online a little boring.....too western....too boring....in the end I relied on the mags and bought every new edition I could get my hands on....I remember having about 7 or 8 altogether.....most were helpful....only about 2 were not that great.....but had fun reading every single one! :) Maybe because I am a mag junkie too....I love Cleo and Hot! mags....hahaha.....also will occasionally buy other women mags...will first zoom into fashion and the rest later. :)

yeah, i think i totally agree with ashley... mags are a good way of knowing what's in fashion and all that, and most importantly, something that's in fashion here in malaysia and not US because honestly, their styles are a bit... simpler, i guess and sometimes not suitable for our chinese customs...

Anyway mslim, thanks so much for your advice... i still dunno what flowers to get (or florist!!!) but i know what i don't want la... no roses for me, thanks... i rather get something really different and striking. and nothing too big. :)

I actually started with this forum before buying any mags... The forum gave me some ideas to start with, like maybe making my own invites for my ji muis and wrist corsages but the mags helped me figure out what i might have missed out on. I'm not saying that the forum doesn't already have the thread somewhere (i think there's posts on about almost every topic you can think of here) but because sometimes i don't go through all the old stuff, so i miss out on some :)

Just a little tip to share, from a mag that i read in the hair salon.

Brides that are tall and slender, should have a long stalk flower bouquet. The round and short one makes the bride looks even taller.

The round one would go perfectly with brides not that tall.

That is one information that I didn't know. I thought tall people should have round and short bouquet to balance out the tall figure. I was so wrong!! :P And indeed, the long bouquet I had during my PS, looked perfectly fine in my hands. Didn't make me look like tall alien. Hehehe. :P

Yes, western styles are simpler. That's why it makes us feel boring, MsLim. :P Imagine we have "cheong sam" and "kua", and they could only have WG.

yeah, i think i totally agree with ashley... mags are a good way of knowing what's in fashion and all that, and most importantly, something that's in fashion here in malaysia and not US because honestly, their styles are a bit... simpler, i guess and sometimes not suitable for our chinese customs...

Anyway mslim, thanks so much for your advice... i still dunno what flowers to get (or florist!!!) but i know what i don't want la... no roses for me, thanks... i rather get something really different and striking. and nothing too big. :)

I actually started with this forum before buying any mags... The forum gave me some ideas to start with, like maybe making my own invites for my ji muis and wrist corsages but the mags helped me figure out what i might have missed out on. I'm not saying that the forum doesn't already have the thread somewhere (i think there's posts on about almost every topic you can think of here) but because sometimes i don't go through all the old stuff, so i miss out on some :)

For florist....I highly recommend Floristika....they are located in Bangsar just beside the Mutiara Bangsar building near NST.....they are one of the three biggest wholesalers of flowers in Klang Valley.....so more variety and better prices.....I think. :) So if you want really unique flowers you should go and have a look.....and bring your mags! I got from them my bridal bouquet, my bouquet for tossing, corsages for my parents and his (which his mom forgot to bring to the reception....arrrgghhh!!), and a table arrangement for the coffee table in my house. I loved my bridal bouquet and the table arrangement....absolutely gorgeous.....one-of-a-kind and very fresh!

thanks msLim... i saw some of Floristika's designs in the mags and yea, very different!

i'm looking for something unusual, not the usual roses type bouquet... i already decided i want something really colourful n striking, maybe even gerberas... so far i'm thinking of those stargazer lilies but not sure yet...

hehe, actually i'm not a fan of flowers but my FH insist i must have at least one bouquet for the handtoss so that's why i'm looking around... i saw in the DIY place, some of the BTBs make their own bouquet is so lovely... which i was as creative as them! :P

thanks msLim... i saw some of Floristika's designs in the mags and yea, very different!

i'm looking for something unusual, not the usual roses type bouquet... i already decided i want something really colourful n striking, maybe even gerberas... so far i'm thinking of those stargazer lilies but not sure yet...

hehe, actually i'm not a fan of flowers but my FH insist i must have at least one bouquet for the handtoss so that's why i'm looking around... i saw in the DIY place, some of the BTBs make their own bouquet is so lovely... which i was as creative as them! :P

Of course you must have your bridal bouquet! But I loved my orchids too much to toss them....they cost me RM200....so I got a cheaper bouquet for the toss...hahaha. You may toss roses coz if they are grown in Cameron they shouldn't cost too much. Am not a DIY person......rather just leave it to the experts.....last thing I wanted to worry about so near my wedding!!

hahaha, guess i'm not a very flower person kua... mainly because i dunno wat to do with the bouquet after that! but handtoss, that one must need to get something... :P

anyway, i like the m'sian mags since they dun just focus on roses like i see on some sites

Hie there

Not really sure if this is the right forum, but anyway... any of the BTBs here bought any bridal magazines?

So was wondering if it's really a good investment, coz is not cheap... Around RM18-RM20 one magazine and I think is mainly the same content... But I'm really interested in Malaysia Bridal Guide volume 9.

So if any of the BTBs have those mags, mind to share your view? Thanks

Hi all, if you would like to feature your wedding pictures in Malaysia Bridal Guide, get the form from the latest edition (vol 9) :-)

Oh wow... I really like Malaysia Bridal Guide! I got some pretty useful tips there and it was nice reading about other ppl's weddings... I think that is the best part of any mag... better than the restaurant/hotel reviews