Sign in to follow this  
sooky

Chinese traditions for baby's first birthday

Hi all,

Am looking for input on what are the things to do/prepare for baby's first birthday (chinese traditions).

My MIL would be more knowledgable on this but she may be away during my daughter's first birthday... even if she's around, she's not really into celebrating kids birthday (due to some superstitious beliefs).

Me and hubby are looking forward to celebrate NingNing's first birthday in a simple manner, and covering some of the basic chinese traditions thingy if possible.

I've only heard of having red eggs and eating longetivity noodles. And laying out toys/items for baby to choose from (to tell her future career).

Appreciate any other inputs on this. Thanks!

me & hb plan to celebrate my BB first birthday too. Dunno how.

And is there any chinese ritual ?? Give out red eggs ?

And anyone got idea how to celebrate ... party with family & friends and how u celebrate ??

My son first chinese birthday, my MIL cooked him mee sua, chicken, red egg.....even he can't eat meat yet. We just let him lick the chicken as part of the ceremony. Other than that, we need to bring our son pray to ancestors. Then like what you mentioned, put few things on the table let him choose, for e.g calculator, money, books, rulers, paint brush, music toys and etc. They said which one he pick up first then that will be his future professional :D....

Although personally i'm not supertitious, but i do follow all these traditional ceremony just for the sake of my son and my in laws.Since it is no harm, and i recorded down the session is a funny session which i can show my son in future.

The most weird part and session, is my in law mentioned baby can only officially wear shoes when they are 1 year old in chinese calendar. Therefore that the day we helped our son wear his first pair of shoe, and my in law put my son leg step on the red egg...after that requested us as parents eat the egg.... :S adoi~~~~

i got no choice...but just close my eyes and eat it lor...

Weird ar? I don't know what it means....but i just follow what my in law said lor...just for 1 day! :D

hi,

we did the same thing as polarsam on my son's first chinese birthday... but we have to carried out in 2 places at the same time... because my PIL were in Sabah... they pray to their god and nenek moyang in Sandakan... my mum cook all the necessary for my son... mee sua, drumstick, red egg... ya, just let him taste the chicken and egg yolk... my son love to eat the mee sua... then put few things for him to choose... and wear the new shoes and new clothes for him... but we do not do the part step on egg and parent eat it la...

err... r we not suppose to let BB wear shoe before 1 ??

I just bought a walking shoe for my BB as he start walking de ??

can we invite friends to celebrate BB birthday ?? I plan to do a buffet dinner inviting family, relative and friends.

some old folks pantang on this as they say only elders can celebrate birthday big big !!

err... r we not suppose to let BB wear shoe before 1 ??

I just bought a walking shoe for my BB as he start walking de ??

can we invite friends to celebrate BB birthday ?? I plan to do a buffet dinner inviting family, relative and friends.

some old folks pantang on this as they say only elders can celebrate birthday big big !!

about the wearing shoes part, i also dun know why, i been asking MIL, and nanny and my own mom. All of them only said cannot wear, pantang lar..very furious when i said wanna let my son wear..:S ...ask them why, they nvr want to answer me...gosh makes me scare also...so i just follow the rules...my hubby also very supertitious. so i just bear with them until my son is 1 year old.

Perhaps if there are any other forummer can share with us the reason why.

About big birthday celebration, i heard some say, they take their son birth date go and pray and ask 'god' if can celebrate or not...if nope then wont be celebrate lor...some say is okay. but so far normally ppl only do big celebration for fullmoon. Infact i wanted to have a party for my son too...just that noone available to attend, end up i just cancelled it and celebrate within my in law family. sigh~~~ lucky my son still young too realise it..or else sure he very disapointed.

i remembered my parents threw a birthday bash for both me and my sis when we turned one. i can't recall of those pantang larang thingy... but i think v done nothing.

now i hv a kid of my own, if i have things my way, i will not do all these superstitious stuffs! waste time only....

as for the reason not wearing shoes before turning one, from scientific point of view, baby's young feet is developing rapidly. by confining their feet in a shoes (normal baby shoes), it will cause their feet to not develop fully, perhaps distorted. this is especially when they learn walking before 1 yr old, their feet will learn and grow to adapt to support their body weight. meaning their feet will flatten out. so by getting them to wear shoes, is not right. but soft soles botties meant for learning to walk toddlers shud b alright.