ivi

Where to eat in Penang island?

I love buffet style. But in Penang there are little choice to choose.

You mean buffet for your banquet or just simply dine-in only?

hi, i mean just for enjoyable dine in only. Like once a while hang out with friends hunting for good food. Any idea since you stay in Penang?

Not very sure about buffet since I become vegetarian 8 years ago.... But i heard parkroyal is pretty good....

yeh... i'm finding for good buffet in Penang too... buffet lunch.. high-tea... dinner... anything... hehehe...

thanks for sharing :)

rasa sayang hotel buffet is the best !!!

hi tainhui, what kind of food variety that Rasa Sayang hotel serve? Is it international buffet or other themes like seafood buffet or barbeque type?

I'm always facing difficulties in looking for good food in Penang Island when comes to weekend...pls help me to solve the problem as repeating dining at the same restaurant/stall become a boring routine to me and my fiancee..

Hi Ivi,

If u buy Star newspaper, there is a section on places to makan in Penang every Friday..normally i would go look there to find new plcs to try out too..

What sort of food are u into ? And where ru staying ?

ivi...

what type of food u looking forward? which area u stays?? for me, sometimes have too many choices also i dunno which to choose... all looks nice leh... hehehe....

ivi... do u like ice-cream buffet??

i am not a ice-cream lover but i think it sounds interesting and I would like to know where provide this type of buffer?

Hi Ivi,

If u buy Star newspaper, there is a section on places to makan in Penang every Friday..normally i would go look there to find new plcs to try out too..

What sort of food are u into ? And where ru staying ?

I know Star newspaper have the selection of restaurants to help me solve the problem but I found every week the list looks similar only. I wonder is there any other places which serve nice food yet has not been discovered yet?

buffet breakfast in Northam hotel is great! if u wan to eat western food then go for little cottage,not buffet they're just a small restaurant..the food there quite nice r..how about buffet steamboat for dinner???located at jalan macalister opposite menara umno....lots of ppl eat there...in the afternoon or evening when days r hot, try go to lorong abu siti in town where u get fresh coconut drinks...u c lots of indian stall selling coconut.....n if u like hawker food, go for lorong selamat char kueh tiau which is just beside lorong abu siti...

Found another blog on Penang food reviews.. http://www.penangtuapui.com/

Rosayee,

I only tried Mizi Bistro and another tea restaurant which the last time i went oledi change to different restaurant di..Mizi is so so only..not sure about the rest..

hi... have you all tried the food in New Work Park foodcourt?? What is nice there? any recommendation??

new world park food court r....ermm....for the food court itself i find it nothing much different except for the normal hawker food...instead,everytime i dine there i will choose to go for manhattan fish market, Old town n another bak kut teh shop if im not wrong....located in front of the hawker..

for rasa sayang, the buffet is international style. everything u mentioned are included. seafood, bbq, oriental, desserts...

a lots of food for u too choose, me myself cant even try all because too full!! very yummy especially the dessert..yumyum!

my recommendation:

for tomyam steam boat, i suggest the "shua shua le: steamboat house in prangin. i went there yesterday with my frens, they said very nice!

for western food, i like to go to the one located at fettes park. its always crowded during the weekends and sometimes weekdays too!

for japanese style hawker food, the one located opposite penang chinese girls high sch is recommended. my hb always order it when go there for dinner. his fren also love it!

for laksa, i recommend the one at penang road or at batu lanchang market.

for dim sum , i suggest you to go to "dai dong" (in cantonese) located near penang road. very crowded during the weekend .

for char hor fun, the restaurant opposite dai dong hav very tasty char hor fun. the shop name called"fu heong"( in cantonese). although not much people dine there, but the char hor fun there is tasty.

for mee goreng, stall next to the jelutong post office hawker area. from 2pm-evening.

for cakes, sunflower cake house located in komtar or tg tokong is recommended. i love their cheese cake. very fragrant n taste great!!!

for hai nam chicken rice, the shop is opposite kim how gold smith komtar. i lovet he chicken they serve as well as the chinese sausage they sell.

ok....this is wat i can recall by now...let me think think see what else i can recommend..

ah..one more, ikan bakar --- malay stall along the coastal highy way or FIZ( factory zone) . the hawker stall is opposite seagate!

hehehe....

anyone knows how to go to the durian farm at Balik Pulau?? where to buy good & cheap/reasonable price for durians??

tainhui, where is the japanese style hawker food? wat is nice there? where is the sunflower cake house at komtar & tg tokong?

thanks for sharing :)

for rasa sayang, the buffet is international style. everything u mentioned are included. seafood, bbq, oriental, desserts...

a lots of food for u too choose, me myself cant even try all because too full!! very yummy especially the dessert..yumyum!

my recommendation:

for tomyam steam boat, i suggest the "shua shua le: steamboat house in prangin. i went there yesterday with my frens, they said very nice!

for western food, i like to go to the one located at fettes park. its always crowded during the weekends and sometimes weekdays too!

for japanese style hawker food, the one located opposite penang chinese girls high sch is recommended. my hb always order it when go there for dinner. his fren also love it!

for laksa, i recommend the one at penang road or at batu lanchang market.

for dim sum , i suggest you to go to "dai dong" (in cantonese) located near penang road. very crowded during the weekend .

for char hor fun, the restaurant opposite dai dong hav very tasty char hor fun. the shop name called"fu heong"( in cantonese). although not much people dine there, but the char hor fun there is tasty.

for mee goreng, stall next to the jelutong post office hawker area. from 2pm-evening.

for cakes, sunflower cake house located in komtar or tg tokong is recommended. i love their cheese cake. very fragrant n taste great!!!

for hai nam chicken rice, the shop is opposite kim how gold smith komtar. i lovet he chicken they serve as well as the chinese sausage they sell.

ok....this is wat i can recall by now...let me think think see what else i can recommend..

ah..one more, ikan bakar --- malay stall along the coastal highy way or FIZ( factory zone) . the hawker stall is opposite seagate!

hehehe....

Recently I've become addicted to the assam laksa sold by the Indian uncle (speaks Hokkien) at Jalan Bawasah (behind Fima/Giant in Town). I don't know why but I love the soup, spicy & sweet. What's even better is that he has a wide variety of nonya kuih and also spring rolls for people to dip inside the laksa soup.

Also love the Malay nasi kampung sold at Tg Bungah area opposite the floating mosque. There's quite a huge crowd on Sat (my fav stall closes on Sun) so we always have to go pretty early.

Rasa Sayang buffet is soooo good but expensive. I'd only eat their oysters & sashimi as it's the freshest and I've very bad food poisoning with other hotel's seafood. Worthwhile going for a special occasion.

Recently I've become addicted to the assam laksa sold by the Indian uncle (speaks Hokkien) at Jalan Bawasah (behind Fima/Giant in Town). I don't know why but I love the soup, spicy & sweet. What's even better is that he has a wide variety of nonya kuih and also spring rolls for people to dip inside the laksa soup.

Also love the Malay nasi kampung sold at Tg Bungah area opposite the floating mosque. There's quite a huge crowd on Sat (my fav stall closes on Sun) so we always have to go pretty early.

Rasa Sayang buffet is soooo good but expensive. I'd only eat their oysters & sashimi as it's the freshest and I've very bad food poisoning with other hotel's seafood. Worthwhile going for a special occasion.

ashandrea, I have been finding for this Indian Uncle which use to sell in his motorcycle behind Giant Supermarket lorong... is he still there? what time he usually opens?? I went there many times but just can't see him there :( I miss his assam laksa and fried stuffs la...

Hi all,

I'm planning to do steamboat this weekend...

Can anyone advice me where can I buy fresh food for steamboat in Penang (island or mainland)??

Thanks alot :)

ashandrea, I have been finding for this Indian Uncle which use to sell in his motorcycle behind Giant Supermarket lorong... is he still there? what time he usually opens?? I went there many times but just can't see him there :( I miss his assam laksa and fried stuffs la...

Hi Rosayee, sorry for the late reply as I only just saw your question.

Yes, he is still there. Instead of directly being behind Giant, he moved into the kopitiam there. I'm sooo happy as now there are proper tables & chairs for us to sit on while enjoying his yummy food :wub:

Hopefully this link with photos can show you better where it is:

http://www.penangtuapui.com/2008/07/penang...e-indian-laksa/

Haha, even look at the photo of the laksa is making my mouth water now!

He sells in the afternoon, not sure what time he starts but I think maybe around 12 noon and supplies will end maybe 4pm? Definitely open on weekends but not sure what is his rest day.

Another motorbike laksa stall that I've seen that looks quite popular is at Fettes Park, along the road, same row of shophouses as Baskin Robbins. Also sold by an Indian uncle but not sure if it has pohpiah/kuih. Next to it is a van selling soya bean drinks but be warned, that area is super hot with no shade. Maybe better to tah pao :lol: