Sign in to follow this  
dwt

what min megapixel for 11x14 and 14x20 print?

I know we have lots of pro photographer here so would like to know your opinion.....I would like to develop some prints of size 11x14 and 14x20.what's the min MP required in order to have good prints?

my basic digital camera is only 3.2 MP.........

if it's not sufficent, should I use a normal canmera with film then scan it to print instead? thanks for your advice in advance!

Dear dwt,

Below are the advices form my brother who knows quite a bit about photography.

A good print requires at least 250 dpi (dot per inch) resolution in order to have undetectable space in between the dot.

A 14 x 20 inch print hence will require 14 x 250dpi x 20 x 250dpi = 17500000 dot, or 17.5 Mega Pixels.

A 11 x 14 inch print = 11 x 250dpi x 14 x 250dpi = 9.625 MP.

A 3.2MP camera definitely can't deliver good quality print if printed so big.

Above is just theory. A better print will require 300dpi (anything higher than 300dpi is undetectable by eyes, and most printers will not print higher than 300dpi resolution).

Most photo shop can interpolate the photos to the larger print. Meaning that though a 3MP camera has only 3000 000 dots, but the computer in the photo shop can interpolate the pixel in between dot and give the extra colour needed. Say one blue dot and another blue dot, the computer will add just one extra blue dot in between, hence making the file to a larger resolution. However, this interpolation from computer is definitely not true to the actual scene, hence still can't compare to a photo taken by actual higher MP camera.

hope this helps