Sign in to follow this  
lovu100

Restaurant 5% Service Tax

Do you know July 1st 2008 onwards restaurant other than in hotels and sales exceeding RM3Million per year are not supposed to charge us 5% tax?

I'm a frequent OldTown customer but they are still charging the 5%.

I doubt they can get 3million sales a year lo.

Where to complain har? anyone knows ah?

How about pizza hut?

Last saturday went to pizza hut, kena charge 5% and 10% :( I bet they even earn more ah!?!?!?!?

Do you know July 1st 2008 onwards restaurant other than in hotels and sales exceeding RM3Million per year are not supposed to charge us 5% tax?

The government says restaurants so i guess pizza hut is in that category la.

But i'm not so sure about the sales of pizza hut. can they earn RM250,000/month for each outlet?

10% is service charge so no choice la. 5% is government tax. that shouldn't be there.

if they charge us customers and no need pay government then where u think the money going?

of course the owner's pocket lo. that i'm sure will become illegal liao!!!

if u think any restaurant should charge u that but they still do....i suggest never eat there again.

How about pizza hut?

Last saturday went to pizza hut, kena charge 5% and 10% :( I bet they even earn more ah!?!?!?!?

Hi All,

All restaurants have to have the basic sales threshold of 3 millions, before charging the consumer (YOU) 5% government tax.

There are only 438 outlets are allowed to charge 5% government tax.

Be a smart consumer, you may report any related complaint at cd@customs.gov.my or kastam@customs.gov.my

For further information, please cross check at http://www.customs.gov.my (bit slow, be patience).

I had checked both Pizza Hut and Old Town have the license from government to collect 5% government tax.

Hi All,

All restaurants have to have the basic sales threshold of 3 millions, before charging the consumer (YOU) 5% government tax.

There are only 438 outlets are allowed to charge 5% government tax.

Be a smart consumer, you may report any related complaint at cd@customs.gov.my or kastam@customs.gov.my

For further information, please cross check at http://www.customs.gov.my (bit slow, be patience).

I had checked both Pizza Hut and Old Town have the license from government to collect 5% government tax.

Hi people, thanks for the info above. I went to the link to check out, saw somebody posted a comment there, but no reply. It makes me wonder how effective is this so called asking the consumer to complain, but nobody take action. I do realize many restaurants are still charging the 5% government tax, but how do we know if they are qualified to charge? <_<

I was in a cafe last week. They still the charge 5% government tax and upon enquiry, they says its because they are selling alchohol. The cashier says places that sells alchohol must charge 5% government tax.

How true is this?

It is only a small cafe with less than 10 tables serving western food.

If it's according to what's on the Customs website, they shouldn't charge 5% at all irrespective of whether they serve alcohol or not. Do check out this link: http://www.customs.gov.my/documents/Bahagi...%20Restoran.jpg

I don't think a small cafe with 10 tables is making 3 million a year. Perhaps you can inform the Customs Dept regarding this.