frostfrench

Moving into new house's ritual

frostfrench,

depends on what culture u adapting. for us, we will like throw some rice into the house before we official go in and ask more relatives to come to 'chung hei' the house. :)

for us, we cant moved in in the 7th month...so we decide to moved in our small house in the 8th month. then the red cloth, old ppl say cannot take out until its worn wor.....mine is apartment,so i guess it'll took years b4 its worn, unlike those terrace where its expose to sun.

then have a house warming day so that it will "chung hei" ur house. n another thing is cannot turn off the light for 3 days if im not wrong,,,,

frostfrench,

Like Juvannise mentioned, it all depends on the culture tht u r adapting. For us, my mum throws rock salt & rice all over the house n cannot sweep it away for like 3 days. The next morning after we 1st moved in, she'll ask all of us to have breakfast together lo... Hope the info helps... :)

Hi All

I have this copy from a fengshui website

Chinese Customs And Culture For House Moving

1. Find a suitable auspicious day and time according to Tong Shu/Sheng (The Chinese Almanac); the selection of auspicious date should take into consideration of the birth data of the family members, but priority is given to the house-owner/patriarch.

2. Prior the appointed date, light up the house for 3 consecutive nights (do make sure that all the light bulbs are working).

3. At the appointed auspicious day and time (usually before noon and do move in before noon), before entering the house, say a prayer at the door and proclaim that you are the rightful owner of the house and claim for its ownership and possession and politely ask any 'uninvited guest' to leave (or perform religious ritual/rite according to your religious beliefs).

4. Enter the house with your sale and purchase agreement (and marriage certificate for newly wed couple).

5. Before moving other things in, locate and position the altar, and perform the necessary sacred ceremony/rites.

6. Open all the door, windows, lights, water pipe, heater, electricity/gas appliance (to make sure and declare everything is functioning). We clean the energies or Qi in the house by opening all the windows to let fresh air flow through the house.

7. Let the water run and gas burn for approximately 3 minutes - this is to signify the flow of energy/qi in the house.

8. Now invite others to come in (and no one should enter empty handed) Bring the 5 necessities for kitchen (cooking oil, salt, sauce, vinegar, rice) and some Chinese customs say bring a: brush and broom, bucket filled with water, pairs of chopstick or fork and spoon. (Some Chinese even bring a charcoal cooker with burned charcoal from the old/parents' house to symbolize the "Passing on" of a generation or some said, representing a "burning success").

9. Cook some things, boil a kettle of water and cook some things sweet and/or a light meal with your family members.

10. If the furniture was placed in previously [see note below] (they should not be placed at the exact location) position them properly at the appropriate location.

11. If the furniture has not been place in, put them in now.

12. Put NEW money/red pocket at where you should normally keep your money - desk drawer/safe, preferably the wealth corner.

13. Put sweets on all tables and desks - stands for good fortune.

14. Pack enough clothing for (at least) a night stay (because of clause 15).

15. Do make sure that you and the family members stay and sleep for the night after moving in.

Note:

1. Don't move house when there is a pregnant woman in the family, or at least the pregnant woman should not be at the scene on the day of moving.

2. At the day of moving, say good things, and avoid any dispute.

3. Some Chinese folks use mixture of salt and rice for house cleansing purposes, but I believe a prayer would do.

4. After moving in, organize a 'house-warming' party for lunch or dinner; the presence of guests would bring favourable 'Yang/Sheng Qi' to the house.

5. There is no need to move 'everything' in at the appointed date, other minor things can be moved in at a later time.

6. It is Chinese custom to assemble the cooker and the bed on another date (according to auspicious date from the Tong Shu) before the moving in date. But then the cooker should be dis-assembled from its connector, and the bed not placed at its exact intended location. The bed-sheet of the bed should only be made at the moving in day.

7. Any charms or talismans at the old house should be properly disposed off.

There is no need to follow the above rules/recommendations rigidly, as I have pointed out in the heading, it is a custom that was developed and has evolved with time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My parents did about the same things when we moved into our new house years ago.

:lol:so happens that I have this as reference when I move to my own place so just share with the members here

Good work mummyally!

wah i saw mummyallys reply, i only managed to do 2 items

which was checking the tung send and also throwing the salt and rice to cleanse the house

must bookmark this page :) next time move house can refer again!

good work mummyally!

hi mummy, thx for ur info... so useful for me sinc my hb goin to move to his new hse on early of Sept. :P but dunno able to follow all the rules o not...kekekkekke, jus try our best la.

Some additional info to mummyally's notes...

To put sweets on the table cuz "Choy San Yeh" (god of fortune) loves sweet stuff, so during CNY ppl also put sweet stuff to invite choy san~

My fengshui master advised me to put Salt, Rice (raw) and tea leaves at every corner of the house...to cleanse the house before move in. After u move in just sweep it off.

And HOUSE WARMING is VERY IMPORTANT! Erm....about how important it is...i tell u tomorrow~ now too late liao~ i scared...keke...:P

Me too just moved into my hew house....

But i didnt put any sweets on the table.... aiyoh... no wonder not much fortune this few months... hahahhaa...

But i did put salt, raw rice and tea leaves at every corner of the house.... including the bathroom's corners... hahahaa... put for a night (overnight) then sweep it the next day... This is one of the chinese beliefs to sweep away the unwanted people in the house ~ which chinese believes that there are alot in empty houses especially those which just built lor.... cos no *yan hei* ~ human breath.... something like tat...

Not much i know cos im a christian.... so far - whatever we can do... we just do... got some more indepth we didnt follow...

Pink Kitty ~~ cant wait to hear ur long long story.... haha

:P

I threw mixture of salt+rice before renovation started at every corner of my house, and also consult tong seng for the good time and day to do that.

When throwing, I also mumbled something like "We are going to occupy this house, so please do not disturb us" or something like that.

On the moving in itself, also choose a good day and time, offer prayer to God (Tian Gong) and God of Kitchen (mom said this is very important as God of Kitchen is the one who will jaga our home from any harm).

Prayer item including 3 types of fruits (4 pcs each), sweet, tea and prayer papers. Also in the kitchen, boiled water and cooked maggi mee (supposed to be fried mee hoon, but my kitchen was very bare that time).

My hb thought why I made everything so complicated, he thought moving in then just move your things and persons in the house is enough, UNTIL..., he heard from our mutual fren what happened to them because of didn't do the ritual above during moving in.

I have told before in another thread, my frens moved in without ritual and ended up being harrassed by "things" in their new condo. 4 of them!

I threw mixture of salt+rice before renovation started at every corner of my house, and also consult tong seng for the good time and day to do that.

When throwing, I also mumbled something like "We are going to occupy this house, so please do not disturb us" or something like that.

On the moving in itself, also choose a good day and time, offer prayer to God (Tian Gong) and God of Kitchen (mom said this is very important as God of Kitchen is the one who will jaga our home from any harm).

Prayer item including 3 types of fruits (4 pcs each), sweet, tea and prayer papers. Also in the kitchen, boiled water and cooked maggi mee (supposed to be fried mee hoon, but my kitchen was very bare that time).

My hb thought why I made everything so complicated, he thought moving in then just move your things and persons in the house is enough, UNTIL..., he heard from our mutual fren what happened to them because of didn't do the ritual above during moving in.

I have told before in another thread, my frens moved in without ritual and ended up being harrassed by "things" in their new condo. 4 of them!

Escudo, so scary meh... :huh: :o :ph34r: can tell d story o not? kekekeke

STORY STORY STORY! come quick quick!

i feel like the forum is hot about those ' story' this month. is it becoz of the month of ghost?

:D

Walao~ it took me 10mins to search for this thread, cuz didn't know that it kena pinned...

Anyway...

When I first moved in, my alarm a bit "sot sot dei", in the middle of the night, the 1st night i stayed there, the alarm just went off by itself. Then the next day morning also sot sot went off, without any door opened or what, cuz we were still sleeping. And because the house still new, so Iam also feeling a bit 'scared of the house', I don't feel the house is 'warm' enough. Just like Sunny Kiss said, no 'yan hei'.

After the house warming, I feel the house is much much better, and not so scared already. But the alarm went off again in the mid night during my GDL time in JB...the guard told me.

We thought the alarm was sth wrong and wanted to call the alarm guy to fix it...but too busy with wedding stuff...then 3 weeks after we moved house it's the AD, so my house again fulled with lots of friends and relatives... and since then the alarm never set off without reasons and back to normal. :lol:

LOL.., I forgot which thread I typed in the experience already, so let me re-type.

Quite forgot the whole experience already, but roughly like this.

Let's say the owner of the condo, Couple A

Another frens (whose wife can see those things), Couple B.

During CNY 2005 or 2006, we (me and hubby) + couple B visited Couple A's home for gambling and gathering lah... Couple B's wife can see those things (4 of them) and they suspected that she could see them, so started kacauing her hubby by making him lose ALL the time.

Then it's okay looh.., couple B's wife never said anything to us since she dun want to scare Couple A.

After sometimes, Couple A's hubby started to feel things are not right, to the extend that his wife lost her bb during pregnancy, and almost lost her life (this is becoz the "things" wanna revenge). That happened on 7th Chinese lunar month. So he started to ask Couple B's wife, to which she confessed.

She saw 4 of them there, and they do not like Couple A staying at their territory. So Couple A went to engage exorcist to halau them out, problem is they came back again and wanted to take revenge (which was why my fren lost her baby).

Couple A engaged another more powerful exorcist and put on God altar only then the matter got settled.

My fren got puzzled, since the building for his condo is brand new, never occupied before, so how did the "things" went in?

According to the exorcist:

1. They got into his condo when it was raining hard and got lightning (since they are scared of lightning), by that time, my fren still have not moved in yet

2. After my fren moved in, they never do any ritual to tell them that the condo belongs to my fren and that couple A is going to move in, so they feel that couple A are intruders and tried to halau my frens from their territory.

3. Their favorite place is the master bedroom's bathroom, since it's quite cool and no direct sunlight to it.

Actually for myself, when I went to his condo, I felt nothing, only that it's too dark, I prefer houses with lots of lightings.

erm....well good to read about all the necessary customs...

however, my gf and i are not really that religious, though our parents are buddhists.... so we won't be having any altar or anything of such for our new place when we move in sometime later this year....

so...errr how should we go about then?... just pick auspicious dates / times?

I had bought an apartment and going to get keys by this week.

Currently, it was rented to a pair of chinese couple.

My question is should the rituals be done

- when we first get in (before renovation)

- when we really move-in to stay (after renovation)

I had bought an apartment and going to get keys by this week.

Currently, it was rented to a pair of chinese couple.

My question is should the rituals be done

- when we first get in (before renovation)

- when we really move-in to stay (after renovation)

It should be after renovation.. when you are ready to move in.. :cool: