agyy

Curtains

We just fixed our balcony curtain. We made full wall curtain but feel so sad :( because it's out of our expectation. The living room looks smaller after fixing the curtain. We don't know what's wrong with it, maybe something wrong with the color, height or width of the curtain. Or maybe because we still not yet get use to it. :rolleyes: So sad........How to remedy it ah? Is it not suitable to put curtain so high? Should I lower down the curtain until same height as the balcony door? Or is it maybe because the curtain color too heavy and make my living room too boring? I attached some photos of our living room before and after fixing curtain. Pls give me some honest feedback so that I can try to remedy it. Thanks....

152372218_5611f8f09c_m.jpg152372219_c3aa5741e0_o.jpg

152372220_82cfaeeaa8_o.jpg152372221_c42a384da4_o.jpg

152372222_43302c1ea4_o.jpg

Aggy,

From the photos horr, it gave me a feeling tat the living room looks very small bcoz the curtain is too high from the top of the door :rolleyes:

And I feel the room's colour is a bit plain because all are in brown. May be it't bcoz of the light as well?

Aggy,

From the photos horr, it gave me a feeling tat the living room looks very small bcoz the curtain is too high from the top of the door :rolleyes:

And I feel the room's colour is a bit plain because all are in brown. May be it't bcoz of the light as well?

ya.....questiongirl, that's what I think too. how ah? any remedy recommend? :( Then that means I should lower down the curtain? and add more color in my living room, right? What kind of color is suitable to match with brown ah? I can't think of any matching color with brown besides white, black and beige, any idea? Actually this wall color is my original wall color, in order to reduce the cost of repainting, so no choice just use brown color to match the wall lor. so sad....

Aggy,

Dun be so depress ;) all u have to do is lower down the curtains lor ;)

The atmosphere and feeling for the whole room is not bad... i mean the sofa, coffee table etc are OK. u dun have to worry so much ;) This time u r using a plain brown curtain, may be next time u can change to curtain which has a bit flowery. U can have different feeling lor.

I dun have yellow light in my house, bcoz the yellow light make me feel sleepy when I sit in the living room :rolleyes:

Yeah, the living room looks small but quite cozy to me. Maybe you can put a long mirror somewhere, it will make ur room looks bigger.

P.S. How much did you pay for the fan?

The curtain is too high. It leaves no empty space between the ceiling and the curtain. That's why it looks small. Lower the curtain a bit to create space in between so that it look bigger. You can also use bright colors to make space look larger. Or paint one wall of different colors from the rest

i would suggest lowering the curtain, and make the width smaller.. the right side i mean... instead of the curtain covering the whole piece of wall.. may be you can place a deco (vase, etc) at the right corner.

i feel curtains will need to cover the door's top and the left & right side by about 6 inches. it should be slightly 1/2 inch above the floor.

agyy:

Nice place! I like full-length curtains because it makes the room cozier and grander. But in a small area, that could be difficult. I think you can try putting a shelf on the sofa wall and have a nice dark wood framed mirror (about 2 to 3 inches thick border) on the shelf and put some candles in front of the mirror so that you can see the lights dance. I put my candles in hurricane vases and large glasses filled with sand. Some seashells and starfishes would work too...

Something oughta be on the tv wall too, because your entertainment unit is quite low. I would opt for a nice dark wood armoire to house the TV, but if you're gonna keep the existing entertainment unit, I don't know what to suggest other than paint the wall a different/contrasting color, like teal blue to make it as a focus wall and hang a few light sconces on it.

Just a thought....

I dun have yellow light in my house, bcoz the yellow light make me feel sleepy when I sit in the living room :lol:

questiongirl, same thought as u... I also worry yellow light not suitable for reading newspaper, so I fixed only 3 main deco light as yellow, others are all white light. So when watch TV or need some romance , we'll switch on yellow light :P , but when read newspaper or work, then we'll use white light. :lol:

Aggy,

so I fixed only 3 main deco light as yellow, others are all white light.

This is a good way of placing 2 different lights in living room so tat u can have more options ;) In fact, we oso chose tis way for our KL house as well, in living room, dining room, upstair's living room and master bedroom :lol: At nite, can turn on the yellow light only and dimmed the light :lol:

This time u r using a plain brown curtain, may be next time u can change to curtain which has a bit flowery. U can have different feeling lor.

Maybe you can put a long mirror somewhere, it will make ur room looks bigger.

Lower the curtain a bit to create space in between so that it look bigger. You can also use bright colors to make space look larger. Or paint one wall of different colors from the rest

i would suggest lowering the curtain, and make the width smaller.. the right side i mean... instead of the curtain covering the whole piece of wall.. may be you can place a deco (vase, etc) at the right corner.

i feel curtains will need to cover the door's top and the left & right side by about 6 inches. it should be slightly 1/2 inch above the floor.

I think you can try putting a shelf on the sofa wall and have a nice dark wood framed mirror (about 2 to 3 inches thick border) on the shelf and put some candles in front of the mirror so that you can see the lights dance. I put my candles in hurricane vases and large glasses filled with sand. Some seashells and starfishes would work too...

Something oughta be on the tv wall too, because your entertainment unit is quite low. I would opt for a nice dark wood armoire to house the TV, but if you're gonna keep the existing entertainment unit, I don't know what to suggest other than paint the wall a different/contrasting color, like teal blue to make it as a focus wall and hang a few light sconces on it.

:lol: Noted. Wah, I'm so glad that I have so many creative ideas from u all. Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. Actually I plan to hang a contemporary painting on the wall behind sofa. So thinking that if I choose flowery curtain, it will crash with the painting. That's why at last I chose this browny curtain to match with my sofa and wall color. Haih......so regret to choose this browny curtain, thought this color quite bright and vivid when saw it in the shop, but when curtain came out so big piece, then the color looks not so nice. :(

ya.... choice the brighter color will make the room feel bigger. cream color will match to your wall paint. must lower down the curtain rail.....

what is the size of your hall? The size of sofa also does matters. And if you get flat screen tv.....you room even bigger!!!! :lol:

Noticed your walk path is so narrow......so the tv bench also have to be slim leh... :lol:

usually the blinds or curtin rod is 3 inches above the outer frame only.

what is the size of your hall?

My living hall is quite small , size is around 360cm x 357cm only :blink: My whole condo size is 1100sq, but oh maybe the design of the layout looks smaller than its actual size. So plus my bulky TV + bulky sofa + bulky massage chair = lagi small :(

choice the brighter color will make the room feel bigger. cream color will match to your wall paint. must lower down the curtain rail.....

The size of sofa also does matters.

so the tv bench also have to be slim leh... 

usually the blinds or curtin rod is 3 inches above the outer frame only.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

P.S. How much did you pay for the fan?

janislac, sorry. we bought it nearly 1 year ago, so forgot the price liao.

L shape sofa normally limited up the spacce in the living room. try removing the coffee table. My condo is very small too with L shape sofa.... I didn't use any coffee table, only side table.

L shape sofa normally limited up the spacce in the living room. try removing the coffee table. My condo is very small too with L shape sofa.... I didn't use any coffee table, only side table.

wat janislac said is true, if you want your living room to look much bigger it's best that you put mirror

Thanks for both of your suggestion. ya, it's true...L-shape sofa will make the living room smaller, but no choice, only realized after bought it. We have a thought of putting mirror before, but oh... my hubby always outstation, leave me alone at home, if put mirror oh....a bit scared leh.....hehe, maybe watch too much horror movie liao. :lol:

Hahhahaha aggy, same here, i don't like mirror too! :P always scared myself. Now I am planning to get rid of my L-shape so far soon. Hate it so much now. :P

Hahhahaha aggy, same here, i don't like mirror too! :P always scared myself. Now I am planning to get rid of my L-shape so far soon. Hate it so much now. :P

arr?? Why u hate your L-shape sofa so much? :lol: how r u going to "get rid" of it? Throw it away? If u plan to throw it away, maybe u can donate to the charity home... :lol:

of course not throw it lar... will just give out lar... I am going to get a 3 + 1 seats sofa... or maybe just those 3 seaters enough.

If u plan to throw it away, maybe u can donate to the charity home... 

:lol:

Actually i oso like L-shape sofa lei :lol: :P

haha :lol::D

Hmm... i didn't realise L-shape sofas make the living area small. I tot it's a pretty good way to partition the sofa area from the rest of the living area.

bumblebee, not when your living room is small... you might find there's no place to put the coffee table as well... :(

I do like L shape Sofa...but a bit bulky to my house