ConnieK

Bintan Island, Indonesia

Hi there everyone, I am looking for some honeymoon advice..... no not that kind of advice haha

Please can anyone tell me about Bintan Island in Indonesia. What is it like? Is it worth a visit? if so how long would you recommend?

What is the best way to get there? what is approx cost?

What is there to do there, are the people lovely & welcoming?

And if all these questions are answered favourably can you recommend a good place to stay, both the area & a mid price range hotel.

I know its a lot of questions, but we want to get it right.

My thanks in advance for any information or advice that gets posted.

Thanks again

Connie K

Hi Connie,

Most of the people go Bintan to have spa retreat. There is nothing much to do there actually. And most of the place in Bintan, especially those area near the beaches accept only Singapore Dollars. And some of the charges is not cheap too. My friend just went there and she told me that to go to a kraft bazaar which is only less than 10 minutes drive from her hotle, she paid more than 20 Singapore Dollars. Most of the time they stay in the hotel, do spa and tanned on the beach (but didn't go to play water, and there are nothing much that they can do there). Things like souvenir are expensive too. If you wanna stay near the beach, the hotels/resorts charges are more expensive. 2 days should be enough for a trip at Bintan.

I think the easiest way is to take a ferry there from Johor Bahru/Singapore. The indonesian are actually quite friendly, but normally they will 'chop' the tourists there to earn more money. You may refer to this link for more information about the activities to do, way to there and etc: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bintan

Personally, I would choose to go to island in Malaysia if I want an affordable beach holiday. As the islands like Pulau Lang, Perhentian are more exciting with more activities to do and cheaper. But if you just wanna go there and relax, think it's still quite alright.

Hope the information help. Have a great fun during your honeymoon =)

Hi Connie,

Most of the people go Bintan to have spa retreat. There is nothing much to do there actually. And most of the place in Bintan, especially those area near the beaches accept only Singapore Dollars. And some of the charges is not cheap too. My friend just went there and she told me that to go to a kraft bazaar which is only less than 10 minutes drive from her hotle, she paid more than 20 Singapore Dollars. Most of the time they stay in the hotel, do spa and tanned on the beach (but didn't go to play water, and there are nothing much that they can do there). Things like souvenir are expensive too. If you wanna stay near the beach, the hotels/resorts charges are more expensive. 2 days should be enough for a trip at Bintan.

I think the easiest way is to take a ferry there from Johor Bahru/Singapore. The indonesian are actually quite friendly, but normally they will 'chop' the tourists there to earn more money. You may refer to this link for more information about the activities to do, way to there and etc: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bintan

Personally, I would choose to go to island in Malaysia if I want an affordable beach holiday. As the islands like Pulau Lang, Perhentian are more exciting with more activities to do and cheaper. But if you just wanna go there and relax, think it's still quite alright.

Hope the information help. Have a great fun during your honeymoon =)

Thank you so much for this qzeam, your report is very thorough, and most enlightening.

I will check ot those Malaysian islands they sound like a good alternative.

I admit to not knowing them, in fact I have not even heard of them I am sorry to say, so you have helped me greatly.

Thanks

Connie K

IT is better to holiday in Malaysia itself. No need to worry about getting cheated...no foreign currency to change...no foreign language to learn...no need passport..cheaper too.

If I were to choose between holidaying in a Beach or Island or on high mountains..I'd choose the latter.

Our City is already so sunny and hot....why do you still wanna go to an Island to get even more sun?? Isnt that silly??

IT is better to holiday in Malaysia itself. No need to worry about getting cheated...no foreign currency to change...no foreign language to learn...no need passport..cheaper too.

If I were to choose between holidaying in a Beach or Island or on high mountains..I'd choose the latter.

Our City is already so sunny and hot....why do you still wanna go to an Island to get even more sun?? Isnt that silly??

Hello,

Well I am an English woman based in Thailand, and after what is turning into a quite stressfull time, we would like total relaxation. We enjoy a beach , the sea and snorkeling.

If you had had many years of horrible English weather as I have, then maybe you would understand the need for beach & sunshine.

We come from an area that is hilly with lakes and some mountains not so far away. so the change of scene will be most welcome.

So... as you see I don't come from your city, and in our book not silly at all

Regards

Connie

I am from Malaysia and i love the beach too! The hotter the weather, the better - I call it the beach weather :) Connie, since this is for your honeymoon, you may want to consider some place more luxurious/exclusive. I personally love Pangkor Laut Resort and Langkawi - there are lots of resorts there depending on your budget. Have fun planning!

Sorry, just read in your post that you want to do some snorkeling as well. There's no snorkeling in Pangkor Laut Resort and there's not much to see in Langkawi either. If you want snorkelling, the islands in Malaysia's east coast are better.

Connie....I understand where you come from...so it's not silly at all. However...many Malaysians forget that Malaysia is a very hot country where hot sunlight and heat were never short in abundance. When I asked them why bother going for a holiday to get more HEAT and more SUN....it was only then did they realise I have a valid good point. :cool: Those who couldn't give me any good reason cancelled their HEAT seeking holiday and went to the cool High mountains and loved every moment of it.

Malaysians in general like to do what is popular without considering certain issues.

Hello,

Well I am an English woman based in Thailand, and after what is turning into a quite stressfull time, we would like total relaxation. We enjoy a beach , the sea and snorkeling.

If you had had many years of horrible English weather as I have, then maybe you would understand the need for beach & sunshine.

We come from an area that is hilly with lakes and some mountains not so far away. so the change of scene will be most welcome.

So... as you see I don't come from your city, and in our book not silly at all

Regards

Connie

Sorry, just read in your post that you want to do some snorkeling as well. There's no snorkeling in Pangkor Laut Resort and there's not much to see in Langkawi either. If you want snorkelling, the islands in Malaysia's east coast are better.

Thanks again everyone for the benefit of your experiences...It is only now that everything else is in place for the ceremony & reception that I can start to look at honeymoon destinations, with your sugestions... So please keep them coming and I am sure we will get something wonderful. We are looking for something mid range maybe 4 star or a bargain offer from 5 star would be nice haha

Thanks again

Redang and Perhentian are the better islands in the East Coast. Redang is more commercialized. Perhentian's accommodation are mostly budget or mid- range..nothing luxurious.

In Redang, I've only stayed in Berjaya Beach Resort - it is quieter coz it's the only resort on that stretch of beach...but also more expensive. You can check out this website for more info on the resorts http://www.redang.org/resorts.htm#resorts

For the island at east coast like Perhentian, Redang and Tioman, the best time to go is during May - Aug, and monsson season is around september to december or January. So be careful when you are choosing the date.

If you are looking for a 4-5 stars resorts in Redang Island, then probably you should really consider Berjaya Resorts compare to other mid range resorts there. They have more facilities compare to others and also they have both rooms and suites to choose.

Other than islands in East Coast, you may consider islands at Sabah too. There are many beautiful islands there. I recently found an island named Kapalai at Sabah, it's sooooo beautiful and I have listed it in my ' must go destinations' list. Maybe you can consider to go there for your honeymoon too.

Have fun planning for your honeymoon =)

Bintan Island is like a dream. With its pristine beaches and unspoiled natural beauty, it has everything you could ever wish for tropical holiday destination. The island has an interesting, eclectic mix of different cultures and ethnicities, including Malay, Bugis, Chinese and a unique tribe called the Orang Laut.

Amazing deals available: spain villas | villa costa brava .

Since Honeymoon is the first trip together, it should be a getaway for the couple. Somewhere you guys could focus on each other. not on shopping or so much of visiting places.

Im suggesting going for a local vacation that is quiet. Redang is nice! and if you are planning for Langkawi, that should be okay too.