Sign in to follow this  
shirley

Energy Savings Bulb

We've just installed downlights in our new house. However, we think that it's not bright enough. We're using the 18watt bulb (those cheap cheap quality one la... come in a set when we purchased the downlights). Who knows which brand is the best? As in providing the best brightness and tahan lasak?

A fren of mine told me GE (General Electric) is good, meanwhile a lot of people telling us Philips are the best. Any idea?

Any pros and cons of using downlights? :lol:

Oh and another question hor... Is it really worth the spending to spend RM20+ on 1 energy saving bulb? The electricity bill saved can cover the cost of buying the bulbs ar??

We've just installed downlights in our new house. However, we think that it's not bright enough. We're using the 18watt bulb (those cheap cheap quality one la... come in a set when we purchased the downlights). Who knows which brand is the best? As in providing the best brightness and tahan lasak?

A fren of mine told me GE (General Electric) is good, meanwhile a lot of people telling us Philips are the best. Any idea?

Any pros and cons of using downlights? :lol:

Oh and another question hor... Is it really worth the spending to spend RM20+ on 1 energy saving bulb? The electricity bill saved can cover the cost of buying the bulbs ar??

your downlights round or square ones? the square ones a bit dim due largely to the glass covering it and the reflector inside also not that good. round downlights are brighter even single tube is brighter than double tube square ones. buying a different brand doesnt gives you brighter or dimmer.

you can find energy savings bulb much cheaper at those shops selling wiring stuff to electricians and wireman. along jalan loke yew got a few. one near shell, the other opposite shell. cost around 12 to 18 ringgit only. are they worth buying? i think so because they dun blow easily like those mentol bulbs

hi,

My FH plan to buy square downlight with double bulb. If round downlight is more brigther, maybe we should consider that.

The electrician advise to use PLCE instead of PLC downlight.

If I understand it right, PLCE is having the starter with the bulb. PLC do not have starter. The starter is build in the downlight casing. Electrician said if PLC starter spoilt, have to call electrician to change the starter. It is costly in term of maintenance. But when we shop in lightling shop, the sale assistant said PLC is better. Make us so confuse.

Brand of bulb:

Electrican said local made bulb is better. He gave example 'OSRAM'. He said Philip factory is move to China(If I remember correctly), therefore the quality is not that good like old time.

We have yet to order the downlight, hope to get your advise. Many thanks.

Cheers, Clee

My FH is also planning to buy square downlight with double bulb. Cost us RM50 for the downlight including the double bulb. The sales person advise us to use GE too. He says that there are a lot of fake philips out in the market now.

Not sure about the PLCE and PLC. Will ask my electrician too then.

hi,

Just bought square downlight with single GE bulb (24W). Scare difficult to change bulb for double tube. The lighting shop said 24W is good enough. Pray hard now.

Opp... we actually wanted to arrange the square downlight in diamond shape. But forgot to tell the plaster ceilling guy. Now the hole is make line by line. A bit disappointed. :(

hi,

Just bought square downlight with single GE bulb (24W). Scare difficult to change bulb for double tube. The lighting shop said 24W is good enough. Pray hard now.

Opp... we actually wanted to arrange the square downlight in diamond shape. But forgot to tell the plaster ceilling guy. Now the hole is make line by line. A bit disappointed. :(

becareful when using energy saving bulbs...it's good to insatall (dunno wat is called) something like stabilizer or the bulbs will burned ezily...& also it will consume more electricity..

So ask the electrician bout it...This happend to me b4