venus

good paint ?

Sealant, especially oil based sealant as the undercoat is a must for exterior paint. Will make the paint last longer and prevent fungus and mould from growing. For interior, depends on your budget, if you can afford it, should also use oil based sealant as the undercoat.

Good luck in paiting yourself. Its really hardwork and you should plan propertly which rooms to paint first, etc so not to mess up whole house. Make sure you put sufficient paper on the floors else, you will be scrubbing like crazy later.

Undercoat refers to the paint applied before the actual paint is applied on the surface. If you can appreciate a bare cement wall, its grey in colour. Most ppl will want to apply an undercoat to protect the wall from the elements such as heat and moisture before applying the actual paint and also so that its easier to paint.

This is especially true if you want to apply a light colour paint on the bare surface, or where the current paint on the surface is a darker colour. But if you apply a white undercoat first, it will be easier to paint the light colour paint over the white paint as opposed to a bare wall / darker colour.

There are various types of paints that you can use as the undercoat. What most Developers / Contractors use is this very economical (meaning cheap) white water-based paint (which is white in colour), something like 10 litres going for less than RM50 whereas ICI oil-based sealant, 5 litres going something like RM120. I have used both before, the cheap stuff, you end up having to put at least 3 to 4 coats, but the ICI, one coat of the sealant is enough.

Not sure whether the cheap stuff is also called sealant, but if you go to any paint shop, you can ask them for the ICI sealant and the cheap stuff.

Or is it ICI called it sealant whereas other brand is referred as undercoat? Maybe need to check this out with the hardware shop later on. But it seems like ICI sealant is more concentrated from what CFA had mentioned.

What's the differ between water-based & oil-based? When to apply which? :rolleyes:

Anyone use JOTUN? Received a brochure from a distributor hardware shop regarding this brand, it seems to be a quality one, originally from Norway. Heard that it's quite expensive & normally use to paint ships...

hi yvonnelyw2004 , u r in to paint also, haha

i'm just about to start on paint survey, need to paint my hse in 1-2wks time

jotun is famous brand, my company use jotun paint a lot for powder coating but for household i think ICI is the best but nippon seems to be quite good also. price matter.

did some research, paint distributor are at kmpg bangkali, heard the the price is good, saturday i will go and check it out.

qunh, ici catalog, you can apply online through website.

http://www.icipaints.com.my/MYDLX/Dulux.jsp

nippon i got the color stimulation cd during homedec, very useful, u guys want i can burn a copy.

gunh,

Alexlow already post the link to get the guidebook/catalogue, just check it out.

Alexlow,

You are way ahead of me in doing survey... :D I just try to look for some info whatever I can since I'll only get back my house for reno after Aug. Jotun very expensive ar? Maybe it's imported? Think I will also go for ICI or Nippon lor... Friend said nowsaday paint's price also getting higher & higher, and workmanship too!

What's inside the color stimulation CD? They teach how to match color too? Pls share the paint distributor here after your visit there, ok? :lol:

Hello everyone who is looking around for paint....

Erm...This is just solely my opinion lar...I am brought up in a 'paint enviroment'... :lol:

Family biz is in this line but however, not in KL, else can always deal with them...

I am not working with my family...but i guess i kinda know about paint...

I just wanna say that don't because the brand of the paint is particularly from somewhere then it is imported...i dun think so...Nippon is locally made and so is ICI...all brand has their own specialty and market segments and it depends on own individual preference...

But i can't deny that ICI is a real good paint with a reputable brand...

Nippon is equally good but just that is slighly more affordable than ICI...

My take here is...if you are employing some painters to do the job then better buy the good brand of paint...else what's the point coz the painters workmanship is real costly nowadays...

so utilize the painters' workmanship with the good paint...just my personal opinion...

We used Nippon paint for my parent's house. The odourless one. Is real good.

About choosing colours...then is more to individual preference...

Most of the brands have color creation nowadays...the machine can blend almost any colors you want but of course is expensive...coz tailor-made mah...

My take here is just either Nippon or ICI...

My cousin's house, developer used Jotun. Is almost 6 month's since my cuz moved into his house and the outside wall already started to have moss on it...not sure if the developer diluted the paint prior using it or what...

Feel free to discuss further on paint...will reply then...

Happy painting...!!!

Colors can really change mood!!! Believe me.... B)

YanYan,

HB and buddies will do the painting, so affortable paints should be no prob for that (no workmanship, maybe a treat for good food?!? :P )... I mean for budgetary purpose lah...

gunh,

Alexlow already post the link to get the guidebook/catalogue, just check it out.

Alexlow,

You are way ahead of me in doing survey... :D I just try to look for some info whatever I can since I'll only get back my house for reno after Aug. Jotun very expensive ar? Maybe it's imported? Think I will also go for ICI or Nippon lor... Friend said nowsaday paint's price also getting higher & higher, and workmanship too!

What's inside the color stimulation CD? They teach how to match color too? Pls share the paint distributor here after your visit there, ok? :lol:

model hse and can put the color on it to paint and try out.

survey done, cheapest so far

ICI Pearl Glo RM94 for 5 litre ( white shade type )

ICI Pearl Glo RM93 for 5 litre ( color )

ICI Pentalite RM80 for 5 litre ( normal )

ICI Pentalite RM90 for 5 litre ( special )

vs

Nippon Satin Glo RM80 for 5 litre

Nippon Vinilex RM85 for 5 litre

Nippon 3 in 1 RM105 for 5 litre

for foundation, ICI maxilite RM56 / 18litre

mostly i will mix both brand for different application

hi, i would like to share some of my survey with you all too :)

this is the price I surveryed from a shop in Desa Aman Puri, Tat Chong Hardware Enterprise, look for KinMun.

ICI Supreme RM118 for 5 litre

ICI Pearl Glo RM92 for 5 litre (all type)

there's another type ICI Pentalie Easy Clean (matt type cleanable) selling at same price

Nippon 3 in 1 RM102-104 for 5 litre

Nippon Satin Glo RM78-80 for 5 litre

Nippon Vinilex RM82-84 for 5 litre

the price vary depends on the color you want, they use colour solution machine to mix the color on the spot when u choose. I think their price is very reasonable because I notice many painters buy from them.

Nowadays the color solution machine is very powerful that you can actually choose ICI colour but using KCC paint(from Korea, newer brand in the market compare to Nippon and ICI). Of course you pay KCC paint price (lot more cheaper, which can last for 3-5years time ;))

Other third class paint:

18 litre Maxilite(3rd class paint of ICI) - RM56

18 litre Matex (3rd class paint of Nippon) - RM56

7 litre Maxilite - RM26

7 litre Matex - RM27

It is not advisable to use these paint if u r the owner of the house. The quality of this paint is very lousy. But if u rent the place and u r running out budget, this is a good paint which help to save lot though. :)

For me, different quality of paints just like different brand of powder foundation woman use. If you use good ones, ur complexion look nice for longer time. If you use those pasar malam type, how good do you expect the result can last? ^_^

hope these info helps :)

cheers~

hi, i would like to share some of my survey with you all too :)

this is the price I surveryed from a shop in Desa Aman Puri, Tat Chong Hardware Enterprise, look for KinMun.

ICI Supreme RM118 for 5 litre

ICI Pearl Glo RM92 for 5 litre (all type)

there's another type ICI Pentalie Easy Clean (matt type cleanable) selling at same price

Nippon 3 in 1 RM102-104 for 5 litre

Nippon Satin Glo RM78-80 for 5 litre

Nippon Vinilex RM82-84 for 5 litre

the price vary depends on the color you want, they use colour solution machine to mix the color on the spot when u choose. I think their price is very reasonable because I notice many painters buy from them.

Nowadays the color solution machine is very powerful that you can actually choose ICI colour but using KCC paint(from Korea, newer brand in the market compare to Nippon and ICI). Of course you pay KCC paint price (lot more cheaper, which can last for 3-5years time ;) )

Other third class paint:

18 litre Maxilite(3rd class paint of ICI) - RM56

18 litre Matex (3rd class paint of Nippon) - RM56

7 litre Maxilite - RM26

7 litre Matex - RM27

It is not advisable to use these paint if u r the owner of the house. The quality of this paint is very lousy. But if u rent the place and u r running out budget, this is a good paint which help to save lot though. :)

For me, different quality of paints just like different brand of powder foundation woman use. If you use good ones, ur complexion look nice for longer time. If you use those pasar malam type, how good do you expect the result can last? ^_^

hope these info helps :)

cheers~

do u think it will be cheaper in HOME DEC KLCC as Nippon paint is one of the exhibitor?

I went to Homedec a few weeks back, there were lucky draws for free paints @ Nippon booth with catalogues as well. Not sure whether they sell @ the same time not? Hmmm... Think should have kua? That's what for they are @ the exhibition mah... :P

Cheers,

Thanks for the useful info, it'll be my guideline & reference when I wanna buy paints later! :D

u r most welcome, yvonnelyw2004~ :D

cheers~

Kudos to alex and cheers for the great information.

I just decided all the colors for my new house as well, used ICI Pearl Glo for all interiors and ICI Weathershield for external wars. I would say the result is very good although is a little bit more pricey.

For those who are environmentally aware, ICI Supreme is supposed to be environmentally friendly and is chemical free (according to a paint supplier i consulted). I guess chemical free is better for homes, especially indoor. The high price must be worth it i guess.

ICI definately is best choice, but use of pearl glo have to be careful, if have wall hacking and reconceal it will show out very obviously if the workmanship is no good.

Nippon Paint is good! We got good offer from the shop at OUG, behind OUG plaza. Color wise also not bad and no odour. We didn't specifically buy the odourless type but still not smell.

Nippon Paint is good! We got good offer from the shop at OUG, behind OUG plaza. Color wise also not bad and no odour. We didn't specifically buy the odourless type but still not smell.

Hi Marryhim, u mentioned that u got good offer from the shop at OUG,mind to share the price and maybe the shop's name?

Interested in knowing because I might start doing reno for my house another 2 months.. Thx alot.. :D