hippo123

Does video has life span?

Hi all,

Was contemplating between AD photography and videography. Many of my friends took the photography instead as i was told that videography has life span, max. 5 years only. No matter how many backups you do, by that time, ie. 5 years, it will be useless. In fact, I was thinking of getting a VG for my actual day ( morning session only) and videographer in the evening. I prefer to have VG rather than PG on the morning of AD coz I can always see the real emotions at that time plus the sound effect. What do you gals think? pls. advice..

the type media that you use to store the video have lifespan... i was advised by my friend to do periodic backup for anything be it video or photos that i store in DVD... meaning to burn a new copy of the disc as backup every few years once... :P

the type media that you use to store the video have lifespan... i was advised by my friend to do periodic backup for anything be it video or photos that i store in DVD... meaning to burn a new copy of the disc as backup every few years once... :P

hi mhyap1,

To burn new copy of disc as backup? Hm..m that's what i told my friend but still they told me the same thing that no matter how many backups you do, it will be useless. But still, i see many ppl want to take VG. Any professional out there to advise on this?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback , mhyap1. :P

HI

There is a lifespan for all media. Thats why you backup

When you backup to a new media, the counter starts again. this is for digital media of course. For tapes, it will degrade the quality each time you backup unless you are using very high end equipment

SO bottom line, invest in high quality media. I always use high quality archive media for my clients

just for info here, generally those cheap CD-R got a relative short lifespan of around 2 years and those really good quality CD-R have a max 5 years of lifespan. but then these lifespan can be easily extended to probably above 70 years if it's store in a cool dark place. this is what my friend told me though...

just for info here, generally those cheap CD-R got a relative short lifespan of around 2 years and those really good quality CD-R have a max 5 years of lifespan. but then these lifespan can be easily extended to probably above 70 years if it's store in a cool dark place. this is what my friend told me though...

Hi mhyap1,

Can you recommend any brand of those quality CD-R? If like that, then i should stick to my plan then. he..he

All cd or DVD has a lifespan between 2 years to 10 years depending on the quality of the media concerned. Even harddisk has a lifespan of only 3 years.

The only way to keep the video or the photographs readable is to use:

1) High quality CD or DVD

2) Burn only slowest read/write on the pc. (ie: 4X instead of the usual 52X)

3) Update every 18 months or 2 years.

That's what professionals in the industry use. That said, always keep 3 copies.

1 for viewing

1 for keeping

1 for spare - to be kept in a cool dark dry place