Sign in to follow this  
makeupjunk

water retention problem during pregnancy

any Mom-To-Be experiencing water retention problem? i suspect tat i started to hv a bit now....anyone using any special massage cream, oil, lotion to prevent this? pls recommend. not so sure if clarins body treatment will help on this.. :(

Hi Makeupjunk

Edema is very normal during pregnancy. About 50 percent of pregnant women experience it sometime during their pregnancy. It tends to become worse during the third trimester, but can happen at any point. It may be that the rise in hormone levels of pregnancy is causing you to retain more fluid.

Bloat-Reducing Tips

Lie down or elevate your feet regularly

Avoid tight-fitting clothes, shoes or stockings

Exercise

Avoid diuretic drugs, especially during the early weeks of pregnancy

Include foods with dieuretic properties in your diet:

Anise

Celery

Onion

Parsley

Coffee or tea (include in moderation due to caffeine content)

Eggplant

Garlic

Peppermint

There is some evidence indicating that evening primrose oil, fish oils or linoleic acid (a fatty acid found in safflower oil) may help with edema associated with preeclampsia, but it may not help with the normal edema of pregnancy, and as of yet, no recommendations have been made. It would be safe -- and may be helpful -- to add a few fish meals per week. Choose farm-raised salmon or other farm- raised fish to reduce the risk of toxins. Also, use safflower oil in your cooking and baking.

It is important that you continue to see your obstetrician frequently. A rapid weight gain of more than two pounds per week could signify the onset of a serious condition called preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is characterized by edema (fluid retention), protein in the urine and high blood pressure. Usually the condition doesn't develop until mid to late pregnancy. However, due to the unusually rapid rate at which you have added weight, careful monitoring of your condition should continue.

makeupjunk,

Actually how did you suspect that you have water retention problem? What are the symptoms? :D I'm not sure if myself has it though of course I've been putting on weight lately ...

hw many months u pregnant? have to cut down eating sweet food...

thx mummyally for the tips.....

chooz, cuz i felt tat, my leg is getting heavier & heavier these days....

I personally love eating garlic and throughout my pregnancy I don't have water retention except towards my delivery. One month before. Sweet stuffs ar? I ate lots of chocolates and sweets wor

i am big no-no to garlic now....can't stand the smell & taste siince early stage......guess will hv to walk more often & massage my leg more ofeten then....i ate quite a lot of sweet stuff too....

thx mummyally for the tips.....

chooz, cuz i felt tat, my leg is getting heavier & heavier these days....

Oicic ... for me, the only thing that is getting heavier and heavier these days is my tummy :rolleyes: So far no water retention problem yet ... what I know is if want to reduce water retention, have to cut down on salty food. But from what you told me personally, you are not big on salt when it comes to your cooking right?

I'm also a big fan of garlic, only stopped consuming in the first few months of pregnancy coz couldn't stand the smell that time. But now have resumed eating:p As for sweet stuffs, I don't really eat much as I don't have a sweet tooth, not before pregnancy, not during and hopefully not after :P

heehee, ya lo .. I also think you too long didn't log in liao :P

Ya, it's a boy ... hb sure is happy, but because of all the things he is able to do with a son lah ... sharing toys & similar interests, dressing him up the way he wants, bring him to play RC car and go-kart etc etc :P

chooz,

yalo, i dont use much salt on my cooking but, dono lei, probably my body is getting heavier & heavier these days, and my leg feel tired qua....also, probably i am findiing excuses to hv a nice feet massage ha......

i am usiing those anti water retention oil for leg massage these days...hopefully, it'll help...

hi makeupjunk,

same here, my feet seems like swollen like dat when i was only abt 5 mths pregnant! now getting much beta liao but still feels heavy lor... last time can see slight diff between left & right legs lor, but one thg i know, i dun take much salt but end up sometime kena leg cramps... so if the frequency is a bit high (avg 2-3 per wk), then i will drink isotonic drink (100Plus).

ya, raise ur legs up often will help; esp in office, just find an empty box and raise both legs parallel to your seat/chair when u r desk-bound. at nite, raise ur legs up on stacked pillows while watching tv... it does help! :)

kittybride,

when's ur due date? didnt know tat drinking isotonic drinks can prevent leg cramp lei. will try to drink nx time. though i dont consume a lot of salt too, i tk calcium pill b4 bed & i drink fresh milk or preg milk powder a few times per wk. my legs r less heavier this few days, dono does it hv anything to do with the anti water massage oil tat i use or not...

anyway, like wat u mentioned here, when i sleep, i will rest both my legs on 1-2 pillows. been doing tat even b4 i get pregnant. :)