bunny.. have you buy your milk bottle from sg??

just now i went to first few years in puchong, i just bought 1 bottle of 4oz only which cost rm43.90.. very pricey eh..

I bought a MAM BPA free 9oz anti colic bottle. I like it as we can dismantle the bottom part for washing lo.

Price 31.00..

Bought a puku glass milk bottle also RM18.00. Quite heavy but my BB can hold it with no problem.

Posted this in the wrong thread so I'm putting it here...

The Swiss newspapers did a coverage on BPA bottles and etc. In Switzerland, there are still BPA bottles circulating around and Avent, which is quite popular here (compared to Medela) is only launching their BPA-free products this mid-May. So authorities have advised people to do the following when using BPA bottles:

1) No microwaving at all

2) No boiling water in the bottles (although steaming for sterilisation is fine).

Other alternatives are to use glass or another type of bottle made from a different plastic compound called polyprene (sp) (I think - had to translate from French).

For me, my mum bought Avent BPA bottles in my first pregnancy last year before I even started researching on BPA and etc. So I'm stuck with the Avent brand. Plus over here, almost every other available bottle brand is still non-BPA free because the Swiss authorities are quite slow on the uptake in this matter compared to other European countries. Avent will only be launching their BPA-free line in mid-May here so chances are I'll have to go to France to get my BPA free supplies (although I don't foresee using a lot of bottles since I plan to direct feed but still...).

Don't know how reliable this Materials Chart is but for those using Avent items, these is a chart of their products and what it's made from.

I bought a MAM BPA free 9oz anti colic bottle. I like it as we can dismantle the bottom part for washing lo.

Price 31.00..

Bought a puku glass milk bottle also RM18.00. Quite heavy but my BB can hold it with no problem.

can mix the bottle ah?

i intend to breastfeed, and i read some review, they said avent is easy to combine breast and bottle feeding..reduce the nipple confusion..

Just bot the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature nonBPA bottles. 2 big and 2 small fr babyland. Got 28% discount. Worth it la..

I hope it's a good buy hehe.. any mommies out there experienced using this brand of bottles?

bunny.. have you buy your milk bottle from sg??

just now i went to first few years in puchong, i just bought 1 bottle of 4oz only which cost rm43.90.. very pricey eh..

My cousin did not manage to get it for me. Need to wait for next trip... haiz... anyway i will only need he 9oz bottle earliest by Aug/Sep (when BB around 3 months old). So.. kena wait lor

haiz.. i planed to get tommee milk bottle for bb.. but i early delivered 3 weeks. so sudden!! so i just used Avent bottles. :(

islandgal,

i don't think there is fixed measurement of milk intake by baby age especially if you breastfeed. my daughter is 4 months old now and she taking 3.5 oz of BM. my other friend bb who's bb just 1 month old already took 3oz of BM...

my 1 week old boy taking 1.5oz when i feeding him wt bottle.

i guess that's y he cant sleep well n tight if i breast feed directly. cuz he need to take long time to get the amount he want..

there's a new bottle call adiri. i think it can really minimize nipple confusion problem for bottle feed baby. it's design really like a nipple...

'

ladies,

how much milk your baby drink/feed on milk varies from one another.. In general , we often heard that baby boy drinks more milk than baby girl.. But this we can't relay 100% .

What;s important is that to give enough milk/breast milk for your baby...

As for bottle size, either 4 oz or 8 oz, don't buy too many at 1st. Why? Coz we don't know how much our baby drink in 1 feeding session. Best to buy at least 4 bottles of the smaller size and 2 bottles of the bigger ones.. For those who have bought, don't regret much.. Just use lor..

About the mom's precious BPA bottles, if that is the case, then we can always resort to milk bags..I used that when feeding my eldest child. It's easy to use. Also, I used Avent via cups.It's pricey but convenient too as I can directly pump milk into it. No doubt it also can be used as feeding bottles. But due to constant strealising, it leaks easily.

My HB wants me to use Avent VIA cup (BPA free) as milk storage as well as feeding bottles but VIA cup can only be sterilised 4 times (i.e. can only be used for 4 times only) and we should dispose it after that or use it for storage which does not require sterilisation. It works out to be about 80-90cents per usage which is cheaper that milk bags like Medela, First Year, etc where it costs between Rm1 to RM2 per bag (none re-usable).

Bumblebee just came out its own BFA free milk storage bottle and it costs RM30++ for 8 bottles of 4oz. It's really cheap as compare to other brand.

Bumble Bee has just came out with their own PES bottles too. it is wideneck instead of standard size. I have tried it and it is better in the sense that the teat won't leak water as the safety plus teats does. My daughter is using it and she is quite happy with that...

btw, avent BPA free bottles are not available at all at east part of Malaysia.. so sad. but i also read the news recently that Avent bottles leach more BPA than other house brand in canada... refer this.. so scarry.. think everyone should avoid PC bottles by all means..

http://www.canada.com/Health/baby+bottle+l...1455/story.html

Nicnatz, I have another report which shows that another brand leaches more BPA than Avent.

http://www.chej.org/documents/BabysToxicBottleFinal.pdf

thanks! the report is so extensive and clear.. but I couldn't find the date of the report, is it the latest one? the one i saw compare Avent with another house brand in canada.. so this one stated in the report has even more BPA than Avent...

okie.. now i'm even more convinced than before to avoid PC bottle. btw, now are all talking about baby bottles...how about adult drinking bottles? i guess we should also take care of the mother ourselves.. hmm.. need to start thinking what bottle to get for myself too! :p

Not too sure about the date but like everything I read on the Internet and newspaper, I take it with a pinch of salt. There are many things made with PC, from CDs to medical equipment. Are we going to avoid those as well?

For a look at PC and its effects on humans and such, you can check out this report - http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/polyplastics.html

At the end of the day, I'm seeing too many inconclusive or research that yields differing results (like the one you got for popular brands) - one saying that it's bad, one saying that it's okay and etc, etc. :wacko3:

Not too sure about the date but like everything I read on the Internet and newspaper, I take it with a pinch of salt. There are many things made with PC, from CDs to medical equipment. Are we going to avoid those as well?

For a look at PC and its effects on humans and such, you can check out this report - http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/polyplastics.html

At the end of the day, I'm seeing too many inconclusive or research that yields differing results (like the one you got for popular brands) - one saying that it's bad, one saying that it's okay and etc, etc. :wacko3:

I think good practice is important. change the teat every 3 months, and the bottle every 6 months. costly, but should save us quite a bit of worries. for me, PC is not dangerous all the time (cos only high temperature and scratches and worn out will increase the leach) but there is chances to leach.. so again, better be safe than sorry loh.. it shouldn't be a brand issue, all of the major brands are coming out with PES or glass bottle oledy.. so, at this point of time, choose the material first... then when the technology has stabilised... then we can compare the individual characteristics of the bottle across different brands.. like anti colic, water leaking.. etc..

well.. just my point of view..

*nods*

Yup, good care of items bought is definitely on my list irrespective of BPA free or not!

As for getting BPA free bottles itself, for me, the whole thing is hampered by cost and accessibility to products. Yes, even though I'm in Europe, it can be very costly and difficult to get BPA free stuff - I have to buy from the UK/US and pay tax which is anywhere from 20% to 10% of the product price on top of customs duties which can go up to about 200CHF and etc. So need to scout scout scout. :wacko3:

For the moment, still haven't bought milk bottles yet, just BM milk storage units which so far are claimed to be BPA free but I might just end up using storage bags instead (space saving, me thinks).

hi all,

i changed Avent milk bottles to Dr Brown BPA free bottles!! i like Dr Brown bottle. It's help a lot on my bb colic prob :)

i also change the Avent bottles to Tommee Tippee. I bought it at Babyland that have 28% discount.

My daughter is now 5months ++ and since i need to change her teats for the current Avent bottles we hav been using, i bought a new one...haha..for the reason of BPA FREE.

My baby loves the new bottles...

I asked babyland sales personel, they told me Avent BPA FREE arrives this week.

hi ladies..

fyi, www.mybbstore.com have avent bpa-free milk bottles ~ i just bought 1 dual pack!!

the double pack 9oz actual price is rm95, after 20% discount rm76..

Do u all dry up ur bb milk bottles everytime before making or expressing milk ? how to dry up the inside bottom part of the bottles ???

I read some of u here change from Avent to other brand, what 's wrong with the Avent Bottles ???