Sign in to follow this  
vintage

Key Lime Pie trouble

Hi ladies.

Would like to ask some advice for experience ladies who had made this pie before. first the lime. i didn't have the chance to know what an actual key lime taste like, but for those of you who have tasted it before, may i know what i can substitute it for from our malaysian limes? i only know we have the limau kasturi (kat chai) and the limau nipis (white flesh).

then i want to ask about the sweetened condensed milk we have here. what happened to them? all i see in the racks are sweetened creamer. are they the same at all? i try making the pies twice and both time it came out way too watery. like mush. i can't even cut a nice slice. isit something to do with the sweetened creamer? are they too watery?

i really like the texture of the key lime pie i tried in BubbaGump Shrimp. anyone have tried making it?

Thanks

just incase anyone wondering, i've pretty much conclude that Key Lime is Limau Nipis over here in Malaysia. as for the sweetened condensed milk, i found the brand marigold, carries it, but i have yet to find out where sells it. so far i found cold storage carry the brand but they have only the creamer version.

You're kidding me when you say you can't find condensed milk in M'sia! With all the teh tarik and what-not, sure you can find them - big stores, hypermarkets, groceries stores and etc! Try checking out the shelves where they keep UHT and non-refrigerated milk...or the shelves where they stack creamers, coffee & tea.

Actually there are only two types of lime available in the market today - key lime and persian lime. Key lime, which is native to Asia, has a few varieties including kaffir lime (limau purut). Check out the Wiki entry on limes here.

really no kidding you girls. all the so-called sweetened condensed milk had change their names to sweetened creamer. Milkmaid, Teapot, F&N... all of them. and i found out only Marigold have one called sweetened condensed filled milk. but unfortunately, i can't find it in Giant, Cold Storage and Tesco. haven't search the rest yet, but their website have the product description there, so i assume it's still available. just incase your wondering, the sweetened creamer actually have lower percentage milk and have palm oil in it which is not suitable for babies. i'm not sure if that's the problem why the pie does not set. now i just starting to feel skeptical about the 'Malaysian sized Large eggs'. not sure if it's really large or not. maybe i will take out the scale and weight it.

as for the lime, i think we dont get those persian limes here which was much bigger size. the key lime, so far fit the closest description to our limau nipis and a google on the malay name and scietific name does match. i'd actually made the 3rd attempt and it's still fails to set. i'm just gonna shelf this quest for a while now. eating 3 really tart pies so frequent really kills my liking to it.