mandy_c

Wedding Dinner Venues@ Ipoh

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has experienced booking dinner banquet in The Syuen or Casuarina Parkroyal in Ipoh?

Which has better food, and nicer location?

Thanks.

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has experienced booking dinner banquet in The Syuen or Casuarina Parkroyal in Ipoh?

Thanks.

i haven't attended any dinner banquet at either of the Hotel.

But I've stayed at Syuen for almost 3 months and approximately

12 months at Casuarina.

I have tried the food at the both their restaurant and room service. I would say Casuarina is better than the Syuen. Ambiance wise, Casuarina is MUCH MORE better than Syuen. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

12 months at Casuarina.

I have tried the food at the both their restaurant and room service. I would say Casuarina is better than the Syuen. Ambiance wise, Casuarina is MUCH MORE better than Syuen. :D

Thanks for the info!

How are the rooms in Casuarina? I will be having guests staying over, so I wonder how the rooms are. What about hotel services? Are they good?

Thanks again.

Thanks.

12 months at Casuarina.

I have tried the food at the both their restaurant and room service. I would say Casuarina is better than the Syuen. Ambiance wise, Casuarina is MUCH MORE better than Syuen. :D

Thanks for the info!

How are the rooms in Casuarina? I will be having guests staying over, so I wonder how the rooms are. What about hotel services? Are they good?

Thanks again.

Go for Casuarina, The Syuen is quite old and some of the rooms have this really weird smell. Their service is quite sucky too.

Bumblebee is right, Casuarina is the best hotel in Ipoh. If both are within your budget, go for Casuarina.

Go for Casuarina, The Syuen is quite old and some of the rooms have this really weird smell. Their service is quite sucky too.

Bumblebee is right, Casuarina is the best hotel in Ipoh. If both are within your budget, go for Casuarina.

2ys, I thought Casuarina is the older Hotel? The Syuen was supposed to be newer right?

2ys, I thought Casuarina is the older Hotel? The Syuen was supposed to be newer right?

I think Casuarina refurbished their rooms. Trust me, I stayed there for 4-5 days a week for 12 months. Casuarina is definately better than the Syuen.

Thanks! Looks like Casuarina it is then. I'll be back in Malaysia end of this month, will make a trip there, check things out and book for the big day :)

There's always other choices other than Casuarina or Syuen. There's

Excelsior hotel, Clearwater Sanctuary in Batu Gajah and not forgetting Heritage Hotel with Tai Thong Restaurant

All of them offer similar services. ratings would be:

1) Excelsior

2) Syuen (These are right in the middle of town)

3) Casuarina (A little bit out of town, but still within a short walking distance)

4) Heritage Hotel (Slightly further away from Casuarina)

5) Clearwater (Half hour's drive from Ipoh town)

Ambience:

1) Clearwater (has lakes, jungle setting, etc....)

2) Casuarina (Has a smaller ballroom than Syuen but the ambience is good.)

3) Syuen (Has bigger ballroom and the ambience is still there)

4) Heritage Hotel (Depend whether ballroom or restaurant)

5) Excelsior (nice place but the ambience seems lacking)

Food:

1) Excelsior (The restaurant serves quite good food)

2) Heritage Hotel (TaiThong Rest)

3) Syuen

4) Casuarina

5) Clearwater

Well, that's all about the venue. Hope to have helped.

Commenting on these personally as we practically get to go to these places almost every other weekend for wedding or event photography assignments.

Glad to be of help. Just give us a call when you are in Ipoh. Can go yum cha. (For Casuarina, look for Ms. Vicky, she could help you out)

Hi all,

I have visited Casuarina & Syuen Hotel yesterday. Sad to say, I was quite disappointed with Casuarina - the hotel is very old and doesn't look very pleasing to the eye. The hotel looks very run down and worn out. The ballroom is OK, except it looks like a school hall. Lights were also dimly lit, and everything, as I have mentioned, looked very aged. I didnt have a chance to see th rooms, but I doubt it is any better. The hotel has a mild smell of dampness, not something I can tolerate myself.

So I had to rule this place out.

And I went to checkout Syuen, the sales office was closed but I went to see the ballroom anyway (one of the doors were opened). Its very bright comparing it to Casuarina, and it does look like a proper ballroom! There was some function planned, so the whole place were setup - stage, backdrop, tables/chairs arrangements, all looked very good. At least its presentable. I am quite pleased with the whole 'ballroom' thingy. Food wise, I thought it was ok since I ate there twice. Rooms, not sure since I didnt get to see any. Outside the ballroom they also have a vast area, suitable for pre-dinner cocktail reception.

I've pretty much decided for Syuen now. Making my booking already since I dont have any other hotel choices in Ipoh (I've stayed at all except Casuarina).

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I'll find time to visit the sales people to arrange more.

Thanks ya all for your earlier suggestions/comments.

//Mandy

MMmmmm, why didn't ask me to tag along?

MMmmmm, why didn't ask me to tag along?

It was a last minute trip, and on a Sunday so all offices were closed. I am glad I went anyway, get to see how the places are.

MMMM one question, I dont know if Casuarina has just recently "jatuh standard" but they really look a little run down :(

Hi all,

I have visited Casuarina & Syuen Hotel yesterday. Sad to say, I was quite disappointed with Casuarina - the hotel is very old and doesn't look very pleasing to the eye. The hotel looks very run down and worn out. The ballroom is OK, except it looks like a school hall. Lights were also dimly lit, and everything, as I have mentioned, looked very aged. I didnt have a chance to see th rooms, but I doubt it is any better. The hotel has a mild smell of dampness, not something I can tolerate myself.

And I went to checkout Syuen, the sales office was closed but I went to see the ballroom anyway (one of the doors were opened). Its very bright comparing it to Casuarina, and it does look like a proper ballroom! There was some function planned, so the whole place were setup - stage, backdrop, tables/chairs arrangements, all looked very good. At least its presentable. I am quite pleased with the whole 'ballroom' thingy. Food wise, I thought it was ok since I ate there twice. Rooms, not sure since I didnt get to see any. Outside the ballroom they also have a vast area, suitable for pre-dinner cocktail reception.

I've pretty much decided for Syuen now. Making my booking already since I dont have any other hotel choices in Ipoh (I've stayed at all except Casuarina).

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I'll find time to visit the sales people to arrange more.

//Mandy

Shouldn't have had your hopes up too high for hotels in Ipoh, or anything there for that matter. Everything in that old town is so outdated, rundown and underdeveloped. Kinda frustrated with just about everything when I go back there, except for maybe the cheap and nice food in "Mun Chong" restaurant :blink::lol: Just very glad that I'm outta there! :P

//Mandy

Shouldn't have had your hopes up too high for hotels in Ipoh, or anything there for that matter. Everything in that old town is so outdated, rundown and underdeveloped. Kinda frustrated with just about everything when I go back there, except for maybe the cheap and nice food in "Mun Chong" restaurant :unsure::lol: Just very glad that I'm outta there! :P

jetfynn,

I totally understand where you're coming from ... like you said, one man's poison is another man's treasure, and that alone says it all ;) That is why there is still population (no matter how small) in every single corner of this world ... I supposed it all boils down to your expectations in life ;)

Regarding the example you qouted about this Datuk what's-his-name-again? (sorry), I could only say I believe that if you have money, anywhere you go is a heaven (speaking in general)... The rest of us with much less dough will just have to look for our inspirations somewhere else with much more to offer ;)

Hi all,

I have visited Casuarina & Syuen Hotel yesterday. Sad to say, I was quite disappointed with Casuarina - the hotel is very old and doesn't look very pleasing to the eye. The hotel looks very run down and worn out. The ballroom is OK, except it looks like a school hall. Lights were also dimly lit, and everything, as I have mentioned, looked very aged.  I didnt have a chance to see th rooms, but I doubt it is any better. The hotel has a mild smell of dampness, not something I can tolerate myself.

//Mandy

Shouldn't have had your hopes up too high for hotels in Ipoh, or anything there for that matter. Everything in that old town is so outdated, rundown and underdeveloped. Kinda frustrated with just about everything when I go back there, except for maybe the cheap and nice food in "Mun Chong" restaurant :lol::lol: Just very glad that I'm outta there! :P

Hi Chooz,

Yea everything's kinda slow in Ipoh. But I dont have a choice since some of my parents' families are there, and my fiance's family also from Ipoh. Considering both of us are working overseas, we just wanted to have the dinner at the place where most of the headcounts are. We're moving all our friends from KL and overseas to Ipoh. Haha.. I dont know how it will turn out but I am sure they'll be amazed to find the slowness that goes with almost everything in Ipoh.

Back to the hotels. Syuen looks presentable as a hotel and the ballroom is quite nice too. Heritage, the last I stayed was bad. Service was totally not acceptable there. Casuarina.. out. Even some budget hotels I stayed in Ipoh is considered much better.

//Mandy

Shouldn't have had your hopes up too high for hotels in Ipoh, or anything there for that matter. Everything in that old town is so outdated, rundown and underdeveloped. Kinda frustrated with just about everything when I go back there, except for maybe the cheap and nice food in "Mun Chong" restaurant :lol::lol: Just very glad that I'm outta there! :P

Sorry Chooz,

I beg to differ,

"One person's meat is another's poison."

I have "migrated" from a quaint town to Ipoh more than 20 years ago. Ipoh until now has a lot to offer in terms of it's rustic charms, the pace of life and so on.

I've also been to other countries and other states to work and still find that Ipoh has much to offer. The only thing perhaps the details or the items that you may be looking for is different.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I actually gave a list of hotels & restaurants which can be used as a wedding venue.

In the end, it's the perception. Casuarina may be a little bit old but recently they are being taken over by Impiana Group and now being renamed Impiana Casuarina.

In fact, just last week we had an opportunity to be the official photographers for Datuk Kamsiah Ayub's (One of the Minister in Parliament) son's wedding held at Casuarina. They actually redecorated the hall to include some Roman pillars! I could post some of the pictures here later if the members want to have a look.

beside this,can some one reccomend chinese restaurant in ipoh?

I think Sun Lee How Fook is quite famous and the food I heard is good too.

Just drop by in Ipoh and taste it yourself-lah. Can bring you there too as we are based in Ipoh mah......

Chinese restaurants in Ipoh.Hmmmm. Let me see.......

More famous ones are:

1) Overseas Rest.

2) Sun Lee How Fook

3) Public Mun Choong

4) Hei Loi Tung

5) Tai Thong (located within Heritage Hotel)

If anyone here wants to see how the food looks like, drop by our studio and we could show how the food is like during the dinner. (We have plenty of them)

Any queries please revert, ok? Thanks. Hope this info helps.