rukia

baby refuse to drink milk...or no appetite..

hi all mommies...

my 7mth old baby refuse to drink milk..

i dunno why....she looks healthy...

she only drinks 1-2 times of milk per day..

sometimes even less than that...

is there any solutions to this problem?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

hi dear....as i know babies around 6 months should try to take some solid food...like porridge, baby food, baby biscuit etc...gradually ur baby will try to ween from the milk...

I hv same problem. My bb only 3months plus. Now we suspect she is teething coz she is drooling, refuse to drink, and bitting finger and can feel her upper gam like teething. My MIL said some bb teething during 3rd month. Sometimes we gotto do monkey show to encourage/force her to drink milk. :dry: Otherwise she will not drink for 5-6 hours. Like no appetite.

Not sure your bb, is it she has enough already so refuse to drink milk?

It happens. They will barely drink or eat for one week because they're ill or because they are teething..... And then suddenly, they will eat and drink again (only a bit more to make up for the last few days!). If she seems to be relatively well (can communicate, looks bright etc.) , then just sit back and watch for a few days. If she doesn't eat and is becoming listless or something, it's best to take her to the doctor.

If it will make you feel better, you can take her to the doctor now too:)

My Blog

she is taking some porridge and cereal now..

and yes she's drooling and biting her finger but it started abt she was 5 mths ler..

until now also havent got indication of teething...

actually i did bring her to dr. alr and dr. said is alrite as long her weight increase...

but still quite bothering me when she only drinks once in a day....

and yes she's drooling and biting her finger but it started abt she was 5 mths ler..

actually i did bring her to dr. alr and dr. said is alrite as long her weight increase...

Hi Rukia,

when you said your gal refuses to drink milk, what did she actually do when you give her the bottle?

Only drinks once in a day ? It's very little. But how many ounces she drank ? I am not sure but perhaps you can change to another type of teat. Maybe the milk flow is slow (teat's problem) ? Maybe milk powder problem ?

My daughter used to be like that because of the milk powder. When we changed to another brand, she will drink. How is your baby's pass motion ? Hard ? Normal ? My baby is drooling and also put her both hands inside her mouth, biting her fingers.... only after 3 months we can see her teeth. Ya, teething can change the emotion of baby. My baby is so geram and screaming and shouting and always baby talk....like so so geram....I think it's better to release the fustration in this way...rather than having fever....teething will cause diarrhea and it will affect the diet too.

Perhaps your baby eats a lot of cereal and porridge ? How many meals of cereal and porridge in a day ? Well if the heavy meal of these will cut down the milk consume too.

My baby only eats brown rice cereal in the morning and porridge in the evening. Than every 3 - 4 hours milk (5 ounces each). If heavy cereal and porridge, it can last 6 hours then only drink milk.

There are many factors to affect the baby's diet, just be patient and try to tackle and monitor. Well as your doctor said, if your baby's weight is gaining and not become skinny, it should be fine.

My bb refuse to drink milk since 3rd mth.. It really worry us.. Sometimes drink only 2oz in day time.. sigh..

Babysitter told us it was becoz teething process. Thought teething only happen 6th mth??

Have consulted Dr. but same thing.. dr. told us as long as he is gaining weight, then should be fine..

My baby usually refuses milk after jab, for 1 week or more. I was worry as well that time, but she seems to grow up fine.

Even now, I need to wait till she is really hungry only I feed, since otherwise she will just waste the milk.

Rukia: when was ur baby's last jab?

My baby is going to one year old. Same, recently she doesn't want to drink milk or will drink very less. But she wants water.

Have brought her to see doctor due to suspected urine infection. But overall she is active...

Ya, she's drooling a lot. I guess this is one of the reasons. Just wish to ask, does baby need to take the medicine for worms / pinworms ? How old it should be taken ? Well if worm in stomach, one of the symptoms is less appetize too.....

faithyng,

Good that ur bb want water.. My bb totally reject water ler.. huh..

Now my bbsitter feed him 4hrly.. coz drag till 4hr, he'll finish up the milk faster.. on the 3rd hr, she feed him with water.. Is it ok to drag till 4hr?

Warm in stomach? Did you consult dr? Do you give 'fei zai shui' / gripe water? It helps in digestion and teething...

faithyng,

Good that ur bb want water.. My bb totally reject water ler.. huh..

Now my bbsitter feed him 4hrly.. coz drag till 4hr, he'll finish up the milk faster.. on the 3rd hr, she feed him with water.. Is it ok to drag till 4hr?

Warm in stomach? Did you consult dr? Do you give 'fei zai shui' / gripe water? It helps in digestion and teething...

I mean worms / cacing in stomach :smile: Ya, will ask doctor on the next appointment. Some babies will have worms in stomach and will cause itchiness and less appetize. After taking the medicine, the worms (really like cacing....very scary) will come out through poo poo, vommitting or even nose.....scary.....

Well if fully breastfeed, no need to drink much water. If starting solid food and fully formula milk fed, than give certain amount of water but don't let the water replace the milk intake.

Four hours fed with 6 - 7 ounces milk should be OK. Normally baby will cry / demand for milk when hungry. But mine, seems won't demand but after seeing the milk bottle, then cry....haiii...hopefully things turn out good, I am actually worry about the urinary tract infection more....but she seems to be healthy and active in everything. But loose weight about 0.5 kg two weeks compared with previous check up....that's my another worry....haiiii....

faithyng,

It's hard to become mother.. Always worry about bb growth and health.. If she is loosing weight, better bring her for check up.. Let dr. check her up!

My bb also the same, when we give bottle, he cry.. so we make conclusion that he is not hungry.. But he cry still sometimes.. really headache, not sure what he want??

sywiser,

about the water part, i only started "seriously" giving water to my gal when she started on solids. at 1st she dont really like too but after some time, she's ok. i started with spoon feeding, then i use sippy cup, then upgraded to straw cup. i just offer it to her every now & then.

faithyng,

eeee, geli la! i totally forgot about deworming! must ask during next appt. i understand from my SIL, govt clinics will give deworming medicine at certain age (i forgot what age). wonder why our paed never mentioned?

*fainted* worms come out thru nose???!!! i tot poo poo onli!!! my mum told me she pulled out worms from buttocks be4!!! not sure whether its me or my siblings haha... yucks!!

My son also intermittently refused milk during his teething. I can noticed his weight dropped and his face no more chubby. This added with his drooling that is like 'Niagara Waterfalls'.

Then we just fed him with some infant biscuits added with milk so that he can munch abit. After still happened when he is teething and now waiting for his molar teeth to come out (grand finale)

Not to worry to much, it is just part and parcel of growing process for kids.

hi there, i've got this problem a few months back as my bb also started to dislike milk at 4 months old. We are so afraid that he will lack of nutrients if he continue to be like that, so we started him on solids then. he really likes porridge but still dun like milk until now. only takes 4-5 ounces 1 to 2 times a day. so no choice, we have to give him 2 times porridge. not sure if this is advisable though. dont understand how come babies can dislike milk also.... sigh...

SunsHiNe - Same problem here. my bb now is 4mth+.. he started to reject bm since 3mth+.. But we follow Dr. advise ler, only introduce solid on 6th mth onwards.. Now try to drag longer time till 4hrs.. whenever he super hungry, he'll finish up the milk quickly...

But as long as they eat, i think shd be no problem, not to be too worry. Dr. even told me "bb is not hungry, when he is hungry, he'll eat".. :dry:

faithyng: Cacing in baby?? They only drink milk, how to get cacing?? Wow.., this is scary! I hate the sight of cacing.

Ya, worms / cacing in stomach....I still remember when I was a child, I saw cacing out of my brother.....really big fat cacing !!!!

Some updates :

Have brought my baby to see doctor due to refused to drink milk. At the same time asking about the worm issue....Doctor said deworming only done when the baby is around 2 or 3 years old. This is from government clinic. But I am not sure the private clinic. Perhaps after you all ask your paed then share with us here ya.

last time i ask the paed to give me the medicine to clear the worms.

actually it's appetton lysine multivitamin syrups. it is used to increase the appetite of babies.

but it is used for babies 1yo and above.

Worms can come from other places apart from food - what kids pick up and put in their mouths, you never know. XP

Worms can come from other places apart from food - what kids pick up and put in their mouths, you never know. XP

that's true but then again, i'm not sure if the deworming medicine is advisable for babies though.

i'm guessing my bb is refusing milk coz he wants to eat adult food. coz everytime we bring him out for meals, he can only smell and watch us eat. hehe

Hi all :

First time replying in malaysiabrides.com, ya my baby also not drinking milk...Gotta force her by spoon feeding...It's really tiring and exhausting...Esp my family member who has to do monkey face or even dance for her to continue drinking.

She's drinking 3 times (bottle/spoon feed) a day and I'm fully breastfeed her aft midnight...

Any idea on how to make her drink without spoon feeding????