Sign in to follow this  
cutiepiggie

J & J 'tainted baby products

Hi all

I wonder the Malaysia's J & J 's baby products are save to be used? i'm going to switch to another safer brand for my baby

Popular Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo, reported to contain chemicals that can cause cancer, remained on the shelves in Chinese stores yesterday.

The shampoo was found to have both formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane during a test at an independent laboratory in the United States, commissioned by the non-profit Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.

i m not sure whether J&J is a safer products for kid/baby..

but as recommended by my paed, my baby was used the baby Sebamed's products since borned. (incl shampoo, cleanser, lotion & facial cream).

my paed was recommended Eubo's products too... she said these 2 brands is the best products for baby(non soap based).. becoz J&J is soap based products..not good for baby/newborn and it will make the baby skin dry.

cutiepiggie

Ya, i a bit worried too. Cause the nursery centre that I might sent my bb to is using J & J products. My FIL just told me not to use J&J products last Sun.

meiya,

Where can get Sebame products?

most of the farmasi, carrefour got sell the baby sebamed's product.. There have body lotion, body cleanser, baby syampoo, nappy cream, facial cream etc.... the smell is good too.. if compare with J&J, is a bit pricey, but baby only apply a little bit everyday so can last longer.. :p so it worth it haha

janicelly

is the Buds Mozzie cream really effective in preventing the mosquitoes? i'm keen to try. what's your rating out of ten. I'm waiting for the J & J announce in newpaper that their products are safe. i guess last time all the milk companies also did the same to clarify.

Sebamed price almost 4 times the price of J&J products la :(

My gal has been using J&J products since newborn. I switched to Sebamed when she had an allergy months ago. Does that mean those J&J cleanwipes are not safe to use also?

By the way, was there any product recall by J&J?

what about Earth Mama Angel Baby? heard they are good?

I am using Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm for my son. I find it very good and tough against diaper rash although it's a bit pricey. I also use it for minor rashes and it works very well.

cutiepiggie,

hmm....after putting it on, really no mosquitoes BUT need to put again after some time (when the citronella smell is gone). i will say after 2-3 hours? my rating will be 7 out of 10.

haih, my gal oso using J&J's bath/lotion. i think i gotta go look for alternatives already....

cutiepiggie,

i feel it does promote healing process but my gal's skin is not very good. those severe bites (she was bitten by ants on both feet till swollen like pig's trotters :( ) still have dark marks. mozzie bites still ok, will fade quite fast. i bought both to put at nanny's house too.

I no longer use anything commercial/off the shelves for myself a few years ago and am getting natural products for my baby.

Three years ago, I had a whole host of skin problems like bacne, dry/peeling skin, oily skin, clogged pores etc when I was using regular hair shampoos, body shampoos and 'branded' skincare products.

When I moved in with my hubby, he used only cheapo soaps to bathe and so I also followed la. Few weeks later, to my surprise, my bacne was greatly reduced, though I did not put any medication on it. That got me thinking seriously that perhaps all my skin problems were caused by the ingredients in the products I was using? I did lots of research on it and the more I read, the more wary I was of the dangers of the chemicals used in toilettries.

I've since switched to natural and if possible, organic products for skin and hair care. Commercial baby bath products have a whole list of ingredients which are deemed unsafe when used over long term. The baby soap I'm getting for my bb contains only the following ingredients : Saponified olive oil; filtered rainwater; organic calendula petals; and vitamin E oil.

I once read that if you cannot pronounce the names of the ingredients, don't buy it. Same goes for food stuff. ;)

I source my products from the US & I personally find that the price difference is not too great, compared to commercial products. In fact, it's a whole lot cheaper. E.g. 1 bar of baby soap lasts me ~ 2 months ( body and facial use ) and it's so moisturizing that I don't have to use a body lotion after ( heheh...save on body lotion ) and it even improves certain skin problems ( heheh, save on skin problem $$$ also ). My bb is not yet born, but since bb's size is a lot smaller than me, I think should last at least twice as long if used on bb? Oh btw...1 bar of soap costs me ~ RM20 - 30, inclusive of shipment.

Sorry yea, for the long post and I'm not trying to promote any particular products. Just that this is something I've learned which I feel is really important. If we're concerned about BPA-free bottles, we should be concerned about what's inside baby diapers, baby toilettries, baby food etc, right? :)

Here's an article for sharing :

We assume that products made for babies, like shampoos, lotions and powders, are supposed to be very gentle products. However, there have been numerous reports discussing a new study by the University of Washington in Seattle, published in the Journal “Pediatrics,” which states these “gentle” products may expose very young children to a potentially dangerous chemical.

The study, explains that harmful chemicals known as phthalates (pronounced thowl-ates) are found in these products, as well as many personal care products, medical supplies and toys (they are used to make vinyl toys soft and flexible).

Animal studies reveal that these chemicals are known to produce developmental toxicity. There have also been human studies to back up these results. In one study, the urine in infants was measured, with all infants showing a measurable amount of phthalates in their urine. The more creams, lotions, and shampoos used, the higher their levels of phthalates there are. Young infants, less than 8 months old, are more susceptible to the dangers of these chemicals.

"Right now, we still don't know the true long-term effects," said study author Dr. Sheela Sathyanarayana, an acting assistant professor in the department of pediatrics at the University of Washington, Seattle. But, she added, it's probably a good idea to "decrease the amounts of products used, especially in newborns."

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), phthalates are a group of widely used chemicals that make plastic softer and help stabilize fragrance in personal care products. Phthalates are typically used in baby products to help the fragrances stay on the infant's skin so we get that “baby scent” we like so much. Exposure to these phthalates occurs when you use a product containing them.

Although phthalates are under attack by some environmental advocacy groups, experts are uncertain what dangers, if any, they pose. The federal government does not limit their use, since the FDA says it's not clear what effect they have on human health and more research needs to be done. However, phthalates are banned from use in some personal care products in Europe, and California has restricted their use.

Concerned parents can look for products labeled "phthalate-free," or check labels for common phthalates, including DEP (diethyl phthalate) and DEHP (Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate), BBP (butyl benzyl phthalate), or DINP diisononyl phthalate.

Unfortunately, the names of these chemicals do not always appear on product labels. The most common source of phthalates in baby products is synthetic fragrances. Phthalates are the chemical that help the scent of a product stay on your skin. Since the chemical makeup of a fragrance is often a trade secret, retail products are not required to list individual ingredients of fragrances, which are a common phthalate source. It is possible, that since phthalates are often contained in fragrances, a product that is fragrance-free may also be phthalate-free.

Dr. Sheela Sathyanarayana states that the greater the exposure, the greater potential for harm, which is why they recommend limiting the use of products containing phthalates if possible. "Babies don't usually need special baby lotions and powders."

Since there is no legislation requiring companies to list all of the contents of their products on the packages, there is no way of knowing which ones pose a risk. Until there is more label information available parents are advised to use baby powder, shampoos and lotions sparingly. The safest solution for parents is simply to use mild soap and water.

If you are worried about phthalates in plastic, look for the recycling codes that are on plastic products — the number 3 on a plastic container or toy means it’s vinyl or PVC and likely contains phthalates. So that’s something to avoid.

The above is a very brief summary of information we obtained doing an internet search titled,

“Baby shampoo and lotion dangers,” and a search on “Dangers of Phthalates.”

i was given a minipack of J&J lotion and soap as a gift by the hospital when i delivered my bb...i thought it was safe since it was from the hospital..:( gosh i like the smell of my bb after bath.. im using cusson bar soap now..coz most of the bottled soap has SLS...

but i think J&J baby bar soap is allright... coz my sis used to have acne problem till she used it as her facial cleanser.