Sign in to follow this  
purple lotus

11mths old baby with only 2 bottom teeth

My 11month old boy has only 2 bottom teeth. They came when he was around 5months old.

Till now, there are no signs of his other teeth coming. Should I be worried? Is he lacking of calcium?

But he can gum rice, bread, and even bite chunks of banana.

Any mothers with babies whose teeth grow late?

I tumpang thread ya... Hehe.. Hope u dnt mind..

My situation is the exactly opposite from yours. I found a white thingy on my babys gum this morning and I refuse to believe it's her first teeth!

It's on her top right gums but it's quite deep inside, about half way thru....

Showed it to the doctor and they said it's teeth. Google it and it could be something called "calcium deposit"...

Anybody have similar experience?

I don't think the late appearance of teeth has anything to do with the lack of calcium in the human body. I remember my mum telling me that I was a late bloomer when it came to sprouting teeth. So don't worry too much. Please refer to these links for an idea of when what teeth is supposed to show up - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deciduous_teeth and http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-teeth

Erm my daughter's first tooth only showed up after she turned one. I ask a dentist and she told me not to worry. until now she only have 8 teeth and she is already 19 months.

Thanks Mei.

Sheep, 1st tooth after one yrs old..her food all hav to be mashed till then?

I'm still mashing my boy's food but no more puree. His main meal mostly consists of porridge.

Nono, babies can still chew without teeth. They'll use their gums instead so offer SOFT chunks of raw fruit to start and plenty of finger food like puffs, bars, etc. It is a myth and actually bad to assume that babies need teeth to order to chew. What you want them to learn now is what to do when they have chunky food in their mouth (not just how to chew but when to stop chew, when to swallow after chewing, etc) - unlike with milk and smooth purees or even porridge (just swallow, no need to chew/minimal chewing).

Thanks, Mei.

I give him bananas, plums, dragonfruit to gum. I did notice he can gum rice and bread/bun as well. Sometimes he would even gum biscuits, which really surprises us. I tried giving him quinoa mixed with his porridge but he's not really into it. Guess he is so used to smooth texture of porridge. Will try to experiment with pasta next.