CKM

Casual/Garden Wedding Party

Hi, my fiancee and I are planning a garden wedding in KL for end of 2008. However, we're worried about things like the heat, mossies, and the inclement weather ! Does anyone know of venues that offer garden-like settings but in an indoor or covered environment, with aircon? The plan is to have the ceremony in the afternoon/early evening, then move across to cocktails and then dinner at a hotel restaurant (at the moment, considering Mandarin Oriental). We both live overseas and although my family's in KL, we're not familiar with the market..so any advice/help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Hello gavjoyce,

how many pax are you looking at and your budget? I am having similar function flow like you but for a small pax of 120. Also looked for outdoor indoor kind of place for my 'day event' as I called it :P. So have looked into a couple of hotels that offer such things. It is a different arrangement so i also include the contact person for each hotel because these people already have all the information at hand as they have to find out for me. It did take them a long time because this are not normal wedding arrangement. If you call them, you can say the arrangement something like the girl from holland called Jeannie.

a note of caution: some hotels charges extra for using the open or garden area. The one with such possibilities are:

1. JW Mariott poolside. then proceed to JW mariott ballroom or Ritz ballroom. Beware that to use JW mariott ballroom, you need quite a large pax. For Ritz, it's min spending or mix pax for thier ballroom. If you have less than 100pax, the also have a very nice function room. The function room in Mariott is really sterile. Was there to check it out, even the chair covers looks really classy, somehow not like other hotels. Service is also superb. The JW poolside, they were willing to reserve it for me with no minimum extra charges through it may be because i mentioned to them I will be serving capanes through the tea ceremony up to before dinner. The poolside restaurant is really nice, modern deco. They will not stop guests from using the pool though and there is a poolbar nearby. The canapes menu is so so yummy. Ask for Wendy.

2. Shangri-la citroen cafe. If you have a small pax (<200), they also have a extremely nice and classy function room. The citroen cafe has a very nice romantic terrace with trees and shrubs, a quite large area of grasses with a pond. They will close the whole cafe (indoor but the terrace part is outdoor) for you so your guest and move in and out of garden. In my case, I wanted to have a short dinner which ends at 9.30 and guest proceed to the cafe again for after dinner drink . That was even possible. But because they close the cafe for me for so long (15.00-24.00) they have a subcharge for the whole place for me though no minimum spending. Ask for Lynn.

3. Sheraton Imperial: The only offer ballroom. If you have small pax, less than 200 if I am not mistaken, they will send you a different banquet package that is about 200 more expensive than the standard ones. Here you can use Villa Daniel in the afternoon. Villa Daniel is like an Italian quint cottage so it is a gorgeous place. It is next to the pool but there is a large area next to it and away from the pool so your guest can still have some privacy. They have not mentioned anything about subcharge to use the restaurant though could able be because of my capanes spending. And may be possible that you have to leave the place like 6.30 so that they can start preparing for dinner guest. Ask for Jane.

4. Regent Hotel. The ballroom is not the grandest though they just renovated. No idea what it look like now. Service through email is also great. They have a pool area that they plan to convert into a spa area so my guess is should be fantastic. Not sure you can use it, the girl I liase with earlier said palns are not definative so she cannot promise me if I can use the spa area or if will even be turned into a spa area.:P

5. Saujana Hotel. If you have small pax (<200) you get the function room that is build partially on the lake. It has a patio with some tree next to it. The Italian restuarant, Senja can be used for the day but you have to vacant the place by 17.30. Also there is a subcharge for the restaurant though they do provide soft drinks for me from 15.00. We decided to take the smaller function room instead which is separated by the dinner one by the patio. There is a small subcharge for that. It is true that amonst all these hotel this one is the oldest, and some part are worn out (carpets, etc). A bit malay yes (we plan to cover the wall :P).

6. There's the cyberjaya. I have not been there or checked it out. Parents didn't like the idea of having dinner at Putrajaya.

7. Westin is also willing to let me use thier poolside restaurant though it is quite small. I thought 100pax max.

8. There's the Le Meridien. They have a gazzebo but not sure if there is a sheltered area. But service is snoobish.

9. I though Shangri la or Mariott in PutraJaya may also have garden wedding.

Hello gavjoyce,

how many pax are you looking at and your budget? I am having similar function flow like you but for a small pax of 120. Also looked for outdoor indoor kind of place for my 'day event' as I called it :P . So have looked into a couple of hotels that offer such things. It is a different arrangement so i also include the contact person for each hotel because these people already have all the information at hand as they have to find out for me. It did take them a long time because this are not normal wedding arrangement. If you call them, you can say the arrangement something like the girl from holland called Jeannie.

a note of caution: some hotels charges extra for using the open or garden area. The one with such possibilities are:

1. JW Mariott poolside. then proceed to JW mariott ballroom or Ritz ballroom. Beware that to use JW mariott ballroom, you need quite a large pax. For Ritz, it's min spending or mix pax for thier ballroom. If you have less than 100pax, the also have a very nice function room. The function room in Mariott is really sterile. Was there to check it out, even the chair covers looks really classy, somehow not like other hotels. Service is also superb. The JW poolside, they were willing to reserve it for me with no minimum extra charges through it may be because i mentioned to them I will be serving capanes through the tea ceremony up to before dinner. The poolside restaurant is really nice, modern deco. They will not stop guests from using the pool though and there is a poolbar nearby. The canapes menu is so so yummy. Ask for Wendy.

2. Shangri-la citroen cafe. If you have a small pax (<200), they also have a extremely nice and classy function room. The citroen cafe has a very nice romantic terrace with trees and shrubs, a quite large area of grasses with a pond. They will close the whole cafe (indoor but the terrace part is outdoor) for you so your guest and move in and out of garden. In my case, I wanted to have a short dinner which ends at 9.30 and guest proceed to the cafe again for after dinner drink . That was even possible. But because they close the cafe for me for so long (15.00-24.00) they have a subcharge for the whole place for me though no minimum spending. Ask for Lynn.

3. Sheraton Imperial: The only offer ballroom. If you have small pax, less than 200 if I am not mistaken, they will send you a different banquet package that is about 200 more expensive than the standard ones. Here you can use Villa Daniel in the afternoon. Villa Daniel is like an Italian quint cottage so it is a gorgeous place. It is next to the pool but there is a large area next to it and away from the pool so your guest can still have some privacy. They have not mentioned anything about subcharge to use the restaurant though could able be because of my capanes spending. And may be possible that you have to leave the place like 6.30 so that they can start preparing for dinner guest. Ask for Jane.

4. Regent Hotel. The ballroom is not the grandest though they just renovated. No idea what it look like now. Service through email is also great. They have a pool area that they plan to convert into a spa area so my guess is should be fantastic. Not sure you can use it, the girl I liase with earlier said palns are not definative so she cannot promise me if I can use the spa area or if will even be turned into a spa area. :P

5. Saujana Hotel. If you have small pax (<200) you get the function room that is build partially on the lake. It has a patio with some tree next to it. The Italian restuarant, Senja can be used for the day but you have to vacant the place by 17.30. Also there is a subcharge for the restaurant though they do provide soft drinks for me from 15.00. We decided to take the smaller function room instead which is separated by the dinner one by the patio. There is a small subcharge for that. It is true that amonst all these hotel this one is the oldest, and some part are worn out (carpets, etc). A bit malay yes (we plan to cover the wall :P ).

6. There's the cyberjaya. I have not been there or checked it out. Parents didn't like the idea of having dinner at Putrajaya.

7. Westin is also willing to let me use thier poolside restaurant though it is quite small. I thought 100pax max.

8. There's the Le Meridien. They have a gazzebo but not sure if there is a sheltered area. But service is snoobish.

9. I though Shangri la or Mariott in PutraJaya may also have garden wedding.

Hi Zelda...Thanks soooo very much for such a helpful response. I am currently in KL and my fiancee will be joining me in a few weeks time to check out venues..so these are definitely places we will go have a look at.

We currently have about 300 people on our invite list..although there may be more. A hotel ballroom sounds like the perfect kind of venue to accommodate a party that size.

Please keep us posted on how you go with your planning, and in particular, which venue you end up with.

Thanks again for your help !!

Regards

G and J

We end up with Saujana because we have small pax, shangri la would not waive the wine corkage fee for us. :( With the amount we have to pay for corkage, we can spend on the Zamrud room and the patio area to transform it. We thought to go with a theme like oasis with lounge chairs at the patio, arabic tent etc. Otherwise, we would have gone for Shang. Note that Shang was even able to accomodate our request for long table style. The chef made a special Chinese menu since conventional round table dishes is not suitable as the dishes are served on the plates directly from the kitchen. And the dishes 'read' so so yummy.

Hi Jeannie! This is Joyce "the fiancee". :P

I was gob-smacked when I saw your detailed reply. Seriously can't thank you enough. Thank you, thank you! You've been a blessing. I'm in Sydney and trying to organise a wedding in Malaysia has been a little daunting. :) I mean... I'm still trying to work out where all these places are. ahh...

Oo... one of Gav's best friends had his wedding at Saujana. :) he tells me that they have a very nice outdoor area. I took a look at their website. Hey, very good choice!

When's your big day?

My big day is 16/08/08.

No worries. It is a big headache planning from overseas. Really try to make room for a planner in your budget. After I engaged one life is easier.

yes Sauajan have a very nice outdoor area. We were initially torn between Saujana and Shang. Our venue is next to the lake so I can just see it with candles and white organza with louges etc..... But shang has garden was so nice. Plus their service is top the bill. Not that Saujana service is bad, Shang was simple better. And their venue was better maintained. In the day, Saujana's place is visibly more worn out than Shang. But the subcharge to use the garden in Shang is too much because we will spend considerable amount on canapes. I can't very well have my guests there at 3 pm and only serve them drinks until 6.30pm. But you have 300 pax so you can most likely get the corkage fee waived. Oh, and I forgot something, we were planning to exchange vow in Shang's garden but because of the rain factor, they said we have to set up platform on the grass areas. On the day, we can simply go into the cafe, but more if it rains the night b4, the grass might still be muddy and wet. :P

Hi Zelda,

Can i have the quotation for the Saujana and Shang pls. I am looking for a simple wedd ceremony for abt 50-100 guests.

Thanks.

ameliafooss@hotmail.com

ahha... that's a very easy day to remember! very well picked. i'd like an august wedding too. but ah well. have to respect the choices of my other half. :)

will there be a "better time" to hold a garden wedding? we're thinking of the end of 2008. will the weather be ok? i don't want muddy grass!

ahha... that's a very easy day to remember! very well picked. i'd like an august wedding too but ah well, have to respect the choices of my other half. :)

will there be a "better time" to hold a garden wedding?

we're thinking of the end of 2008. do u think the weather will be ok? i don't want muddy grass!

Hi!

Good day!

I am looking for garden wedding style hotel in PJ/KL/Selangor areas.

Can anyone give recommendation? My budget is around RM50-80 per pax inclusive of taxes and GST.

Thank you!

Hi Zelda,

Please email to me the Saujana and Shang quotation too. I am interested too.

Thank you!

Email add: cpmling@hotmail.com

Caroline

ahha... that's a very easy day to remember! very well picked. i'd like an august wedding too but ah well, have to respect the choices of my other half. :)

will there be a "better time" to hold a garden wedding?

we're thinking of the end of 2008. do u think the weather will be ok? i don't want muddy grass!

December is actually rainy season in malaysia. dry season is between april to august. But nowadays, in August, it is raining nearly every evening already. But december, you might get lucky :P weather is so unpredictable these days. If you have tents with platforms it is should be okay. it hardly rain for hours and hours anyway in Malaysia. probably cloudy days with a heavy thunderstorm for an hour or so.

rainy season? :lol: i can imagine it already - drenched with mascara running down my face. excellent. can't wait. <_<

we've now worked out that my parents will have a hard time attending in december due to work commitments, so now are checking venues for either november 2008 or january 2009. but as u've kindly pointed out already, that's still rainy season. :rolleyes:

oh! i emailed mandarin oriental asking them about more info. they got back to me very quickly - replied within 24 hours. hope their next reply is as good as that. anyway... appears their hotel has an exclusive garden at the pool side which can accomodate about 20 pax. err... i need to be able to accommodate around 100 pax. hoping they have some good news for me in their reply...

Thanks Zeldas! Snoopy, can you please send to me your wed quotation too. I am in overseas and hopefully anyone that has any hotel garden wedding buffet style info can email to me on quotation,photos, ambience food etc to cpmling@hotmail.com

Thank you so much! Muaks ^ ^ !

Thanks Zeldas! Snoopy, can you please send to me your wed quotation too. I am in overseas and hopefully anyone that has any hotel garden wedding buffet style info can email to me on quotation,photos, ambience food etc to cpmling@hotmail.com

Thank you so much! Muaks ^ ^ !

Caroline,

Saujana also have poolside buffet style wedding. But I don't have the quotation.

rainy season? :blink: i can imagine it already - drenched with mascara running down my face. excellent. can't wait. <_<

we've now worked out that my parents will have a hard time attending in december due to work commitments, so now are checking venues for either november 2008 or january 2009. but as u've kindly pointed out already, that's still rainy season. :blink:

oh! i emailed mandarin oriental asking them about more info. they got back to me very quickly - replied within 24 hours. hope their next reply is as good as that. anyway... appears their hotel has an exclusive garden at the pool side which can accomodate about 20 pax. err... i need to be able to accommodate around 100 pax. hoping they have some good news for me in their reply...

Hi gavjoyce,

can u pls forward the Mandarin Oriental hotel garden poolside buffet quotation?ameliafoos@hotmail.com

Hey Zelda,

You have some great info there - wondering if you can share wid me Shang's quotation - susie_ng@yahoo.com

Hi gavjoyce,

I am also planning from abroad - i know how it feels!! Full of frustration - hehehe

I am wondering if you can share wid me the Mandarin Oriental's quotation. susie_ng@yahoo.com. Thanks!

rainy season? :blink: i can imagine it already - drenched with mascara running down my face. excellent. can't wait. <_<

we've now worked out that my parents will have a hard time attending in december due to work commitments, so now are checking venues for either november 2008 or january 2009. but as u've kindly pointed out already, that's still rainy season. :angry:

Hi gavjoyce,

can u pls forward the Mandarin Oriental hotel garden poolside buffet quotation?ameliafoos@hotmail.com

Hi Yong,

I tried sending you an email, however got an undeliverable message. Do you have another email address I can send to?

Oh... btw. I've only go Mandarin Oriental's 2008 Chinese banquet menu, as we wanted a garden ceremony and then banquet dinner in the ballroom. Let me know if you want this. Oh! btw. I have also got Renaissance Hotel KL's 2008 Chinese banquet menu if you're interested. Can send you these...

:blink:

Hi Zelda,

Please email to me the Saujana and Shang quotation too. I am interested too.

Thank you!

my email : ngaineel@yahoo.com

Anyone with a suggestion for 350 pax in a nice and cosy restaurants. I mean unlike traditional chinese restaurants.

Thank you! Thank you!

jellybelly and ainee, it's in your mailbox.

Hi Zelda,

Mind to share the quotations with me? joese98@hotmail.com

Thanks.