samantha_lee

Wedding @ SIBU, SARAWAK

Hi everybody :D

I'm new. My wedding in Sibu is on the 18th this month.

What I've read is really giving me the jitters. I have flown back to Sibu several times this year from KL to check out Tanahmas hotel. The last time I went was in mid October. The hotel looked really good. The Rejang Ballroom looked very nicely decorated, because I happened to go when they were getting ready for a wedding dinner.

The rooms are great too, but the package only includes the standard room, to upgrade to a suite you have to add some $$, I only added RM90 because the suite is on offer right now. It's newly refurbished.

There're 3 packages, 368, 398 and 428. All come with a great package, 3 tier deco cake, vip floral centerpiece, each chair with cloth and ribbons, draperies that looked really good, balloon arches, reception table (and they added flowers for free when I requested), free corkage charge if you bring your own liquor, PA system, cake favours, free flow of tea and soft drinks. Not bad right? And they give 6 pcs of wedding invitation cards for each table, min 15 tables. They reimburse you when you dont take their invitation cards too.

Regarding florists, I got my flowers from Lily flowers, next to the sibu post office. She's my aunt's friend and quite experienced. I wanted floral centerpieces but they dont do that (not in Sibu I think) so I am getting from her a package that includes:

-2 arches for the aisle along st mary's

-the bench decoration flowers

-6-8 pedestals

this package consists of fake flowers, for rental. it cost rm300. since it was cheap and nice-looking and only for the morning mass, I took it.

then she is doing for me

-10 corsages for the family members

-bridal bouquet, bridesmaid bouquet, groom corsage, best man corsage

-car decoration

except for the car deco, the rest are fresh flowers.

total was around 650.

so cheap compared to KL!

i'm doing my KL dinner on the 15th and I didn't like the hotel's flowers so I went to the Garden of Senses and in the end spent around RM3k for everything - table centerpieces, vip table centerpiece, chair back, pedestals, corsages.

I think Garden of Senses give reasonable prices, compared to Creativelines and other florists I've been to.

re make up, I am getting made up from a girl in Lancome counter, in Parkson Ria building. I can't remember her name but my aunt recommended her. She's pretty herself and her own make up looks very natural and nice, so I said OK. funnily, Sibu people do not give make up trials. Haha. She charges RM250 for both sessions, I wish KL MUA charged like that!

My hair will be done by Ah Lung hair saloon, in Parkson also. Ah Lung charges RM150 to go to your house in the morning and do your hair; but you have to go to his saloon for the evening session. Total costs are less than RM200. So far everything is fine; I can only hope I like my make up on that day, though I do have faith in the Lancome girl cos she looks so good herself. I trust Ah Lung to do my hair cos he's quite experienced and I've shown him what hair style I want, something simple and nice.

So far I think everything is going well. My priest at St Mary's will be Fr Paul Chee, and Leo from St Mary's will arrange the choir, etc.

Hope I've helped! If you need more info email me at dgoofball@gmail.com.

:)

Hi everyone,

I'm really surprised to see the number of threads that came up for this Sibu page.

Well, I'm originally from Sibu and so is my fiancee but we've both been living overseas for quite some time now (almost 8 years in total!) so as you can imagine, it's been quite hard for us to organize our wedding ceremony and reception from abroad.

Just a few tips from our perspective:

1) Buy and read as many bridal magazines as possible. These magazines, although produced in Western countries can be a really good source for an "inspiration" board. You can then provide your "inspiration" board to your vendors: florist and decor, hairstylist, makeup person etc. I think with the vendors from Sibu it's important to keep in mind that they would need visualization. It's one thing to describe to them what you expect but it's another to be able to say: "Look, this is what we want - please refer to this as a guideline." If you can provide them a picture of what you'd like ie. types/color of flowers, hairstyle, wedding dress design ... it's bound to be a win-win situation for them. They've got a guideline and you'll get what you want!

2) If you live in the KL vicinity and would like to hire a photographer for your pre-wedding photoshooots, I'd recommend Anna-Rina. You can easily google her and it will lead you to her blog and portfolio. Although we haven't shot ours yet, her profile looks very promising and the rates for her pre-wedding photoshoot is very reasonable.

3) From the reserach we've done, Tanahmas seems to offer the best package available. Their hotel rooms are newly renovated and their manager Jimmy is very accommodating. RH is tries too hard to be "all-that" but in reality they're just lucky that they've got the priviledge of calling themselves the newest hotel in Sibu. Kingwood is getting a tad too old and Paramount's decor is a bit outdated.

4) Write out a target plan. If you're living abroad/interstate and want to make sure you get it "right" - planning is KEY. We made sure that we've got a set target plan when we go back (we've been home twice since setting our wedding date) and make sure you stick to it! If you're not from Sibu, please plan a visit to the town before you decide on your venues. Pictures CAN be decieving.

Guess that's my 2 cents for now.

Happy planning everyone :)

Hello Laura,

Really nice piece advise you have here. I am also planning from far, but my AD is not going to be in Sibu. Will keep it simple in Sibu. Going to follow ur advise on the hair do and make up ;)

Hello Dgoofball,

How did your wedding go? How's Elly's make-up?

Hi Sibu brides,

Finally i've found something on Sibu weddings.......phew~~~ Currently i'm about to do research on Sibu side, although it is my FH and family who manage the arrangements. If there's anything to share, let's share together :smile: My wedding will be in Dec 2009.

Hi,

Does anyone knows which hotel is the best in Sibu? Between Kingwood, Tanahmas and Paramount Hotel, which is better?

Am also wondering, does MUA in Sibu provide hairstyling as well?

Thanks to anyone who feedbacks. :smile:

Hi,

Does anyone knows which hotel is the best in Sibu? Between Kingwood, Tanahmas and Paramount Hotel, which is better?

Am also wondering, does MUA in Sibu provide hairstyling as well?

Thanks to anyone who feedbacks. :smile:

erm, if more than 30 table, i suggest kingwood...the other two a lot pillar~

Hi missy-sasa,

Thanks for advise.

Hhhmmm........most likely going for 20 tables only. Any suggestion on which hotel is better? Still Kingwood?

Kingwood is building a new building but not sure if your wedding is in time upon its completion.

Tanahmas serves best food among all hotels, in fact the food is quite high quality.

Paramount is not bad for 20 tables.

RH Hotel is newest among all but I think food wise the standard might not be meeting expectation.

Hi missy-sasa,

Thanks for advise.

Hhhmmm........most likely going for 20 tables only. Any suggestion on which hotel is better? Still Kingwood?

tanahmas i guess, there's a room for around 20 tables, got some deco, food okay, n the entrance way big enough for ur guest chitchatting , signing guestbook, and show your wedding photos as well..

got some suggestion here :P , better dun kongsi your room with other couple..messy though..

do a wedding concept, deco and music is important...^^

if not mistaken, the Kingwood new building will only be completed in 2010 or 2011...i think between Kingwood, Paramount and Tanahmas Hotel. RH i heard the food sucks even thou the decoration is very nice...

Ya, i am looking for a hotel that caters for about 20 tables, where i do not need to share the ballroom with other couples. Also, if the ballroom is too big then it will look kinda too empty for my banquet there.

Maybe i will hunt Tanahmas first since the food there is better, but I am a West Msian and working in KL. So am wondering if anyone has pictures of the Tanahmas small ballroom that caters for about 20 tables? If there are pictures on Kingwood and Paramount ballrooms, i will be glad to have a look too. Thanks :lol:

By the way, is it really the ballroom in Tanahmas and Paramount has a lot of pillars blocking the guests view? I don't mind if the pillars are at the side, so long as it is not in the middle. :wacko:

Ya, i am looking for a hotel that caters for about 20 tables, where i do not need to share the ballroom with other couples. Also, if the ballroom is too big then it will look kinda too empty for my banquet there.

Maybe i will hunt Tanahmas first since the food there is better, but I am a West Msian and working in KL. So am wondering if anyone has pictures of the Tanahmas small ballroom that caters for about 20 tables? If there are pictures on Kingwood and Paramount ballrooms, i will be glad to have a look too. Thanks :lol:

By the way, is it really the ballroom in Tanahmas and Paramount has a lot of pillars blocking the guests view? I don't mind if the pillars are at the side, so long as it is not in the middle. :wacko:

I'll be having my wedding dinner at Kingwood Hotel...also about 20 tables++...they are giving me a ballroom where I don't need to share with other couples...no pillars...i can email u some pics if u wan...can give me ur email add?

Hello,

I am having my Sibu banquet on 30 Jan 2010. My fiance and I are working in oversea, so my fiance's parents are arranging the banquet. I am intending to hire my wedding gown and evening gown in Sibu for the banquet. However, my next trip to Sibu would be a day before the banquet, ie. 29 Jan 2010. Accordingly, i can only go to bridal studios to hire the wedding and evening gowns a day before the banquet. I am not a fussy person, what i need is the gowns to suit my size, i am around size 8 UK size. Do you think it would be too risky to do so? How long the bridal studio will take to alter the size of the gowns normally?

Does anyone have Wishing Star and Tiffany's phone numbers?

Any comments will be very very much appreciated. I am quite lost when it comes to Sibu's banquet :wacko3:

Hello spacetide,

I only hv Wishing Star contact # : 084-311399 / 012-8896683

BTW, they're off every Monday

Hello spacetide,

Thanks girl. I tried to call both number a minute ago, but no one answering the mobile phone. When i rang the landline number, a sleepy girl answered the phone and before i have a chance to speak further, she put the phone down on me :dash2: i m confused now.

Hello spacetide,

Thanks girl. I tried to call both number a minute ago, but no one answering the mobile phone. When i rang the landline number, a sleepy girl answered the phone and before i have a chance to speak further, she put the phone down on me :dash2: i m confused now.

hihi,

juz to give my opinion... i think u better re-consider this bridal shop juz in case, they r not responsible...

hope u dun mind... :cool:

Hi xbb,

Mind to share ur experience with Wishing Star? I've booked them for my Sibu banquet make up in Oct (I'm currently based in Ipoh)

My cousin said Tiffany is ok, but another fren of mine said Tiffany not ok.

Hi xbb, I would like to share mine.

The dress from Wishing Star are really really nice, the price is cheaper (not really alot, but still cheaper..lol) than Tiffany's as well (they are doing dress from same designer) the only thing bothered me is their service attitude. Friends of mine from Wishing Star are all complaining about their impolite attitude. But, still I heard good compliments from others too.

As for myself, I just not happy with one or two girls attitude that's it. I don't do my photo album there, so the photo things doesn't bother me since I only get their dress :D

Hi Suga,

I m also planning to rent gowns from them, not doing PS. So which SA do u recommend from Wishing Star? How much is it to rent gowns from them?