SallyComMy

All about breastfeeding

bumblebee, better stop now...

now i have big headache weaning her off my breast. She will not fall back to sleep unless i offer my breast. She will cry and scream and rather be awake.... really a headache

Hi.....all,

Wow...lots of discussion going on huh? Too bz with other work till now time to read all the post....

Ok....first of all....how to increase ur milk production?

1. Balance food intake and sufficient drinks (drink when u feel thristy), over drink not helping.

2. Some believe fish soup may help, can give it a try.

3. U can go for Fenugreek, a type of herbs use in cooking curry. Nowadays, u can get it in capsules form from GNC. It helps lots of lactation mums.

4. Very important, don't panic, don't overstress urself....this will lead to less production.

5. Frequent pumping. 1-2 hourly if u want to re-lactate or if ur stock is getting lesser.

6. Frequent feeding. for those working mums. During weekends, give 2 hourly direct feeding, it will help to boost up the milk production.

7. Night expressing. It's important. pump 2-3 hoursly depends on ur stock (at least for the 1st 6 month). Never let ur breast too full, as ur body will get the signal that ur bb doesn't need so much milk.....which will leed to poor productions.

as for bb sleep at breast......

1. If a mother doesn't mind her bb sleep at her breast, there's ok......better than the bb sucking pacifier or having "formula" milk in her mouth as it's not good for the teeth....

Oh....one more thing.....very important....

There's no need to drink MILK to produce milk, especially those milk claimed to benifit lactation mums. Some studies actually shows that this formuled milk (from cow's milk) cause problem to the breastfed baby, from mum to the bb. If u like to drink milk all the while, continue with ur usual milk intake, for those wanna drink milk, soy milk is a better choice then.

AH......hope this help....I didn't get to read thru all ur msg as I'm really bz......if u have any concern....look for the nearest lactation consultant in ur area....KL has 2, and PG has 1, or....post ur question in MMPS (facebook) discussion board.

Take care.....

Cheer up and relax....it's key to success.....

Loh

me too lei, bb MUST suck my nipple, or else he wont go to sleep (during daytime nap & night sleep)....offered him pacifier b4..he simply cried even louder :( ... once he's near my breast & hv my nipple in his mouth, he'll fall asleep in seconds

the cover ah, its rm 39 like tat ....

dear all,

thank you for your kind words. mommies sure understand how other mommies feel :wub: ! i dont mind the night feeds & tiredness cos it's part & parcel of being mommy but afraid it will affect my supply only. actually compare to earlier weeks, my bb consider improved a lot on her level of crankiness, so i am grateful with whatever little improvement she have.

i am taking milk tea too but cant feel my supply increase or not :unsure: . bumblebee, how long you try before you notice an increase?

as for being a pacifier, i face the same thing too. she'll want to nurse before she fall asleep at night. how to stop giving if like bumblebee said, baby go on & on for hours :wacko: ?

thanks!

i don't have this problem, my bb doesn't need my breast to get her sleep.

normally i breastfeed her before she going to bed at night, when she had taken enough she will spit out my nipple, then i'll transfer her to cot and she continues sleeping. sometimes she still awake after feeding, but i still put her to cot and turn on the mobile and lullaby then after some minutes she'll fall asleep.

to stop bb from this bad habit, i think u need to be firm, not to offer your nipple anyhow, just let the bb cries for some times, try to pat and sing bb to sleep. i know this sounds cruel but it can break the bad habit.

hi everybody, i am new here. I am a breastfeeding working mom... i also facing lots of initial tough challeges since baby delivered even till now... 5 months now... so happy to get to know that I am not alone in my challenging path....

i have lots of pressure from MIL as she don't really like me to breastfeed, saying that breast milk too dilute, easy digest, fast get hungry, baby always need to stick with mommy. She say use bottle to feed the breastmilk or formula milk better.... i am so stress.... my husband ok with breastfeed, but he keep on asking me to use bottle feed easier to measure the amount baby drink... crazy!! if i only bottle feed, my milk will dry very soon... so wat i do is i pump 3 times at work and breastfeed when i am available with baby...

when i tell my MIL that i plan to BF baby till 1 year... she complain to my mom, why i want to make my life susah.... haha.... i just keep quiet!! this is my life, my baby.... i am the MOM...rite? lack of baby stimulation, my milk will decrease, i am sure.

actually tell you frankly that my milk isn't a lot, just enough for the baby, i very hardworking to pump at work, i am using a medela single pump and use hand expression for another breast simultaneouly, for about 30 minutes i only get average total 3-4 Oz.... my friend one breast already 6 Oz... haha wat a vast difference. Somemore everytime i pump 30 minutes, i am in a hurry, feeling very guilty that i using office time to do personal thing,,,,, my work is very pressure, and need to monitor lots of data everyday. and regret a lot for not getting a double pump- to save time and less stress...i am now trying to look for someone taht can borrow me a breast pump so that i can save time... because buying a new one will cost a lot, as i already spent on Tollyjoy pump (spoilt) then Avent manual pump (broken) ... and this wonderful medela pump extremely expensive... but i love it.. if next time you want to buy a breast pump, please consider Medela - they are expert for breastfeedingmom.

i am regretting for not breastfeed my baby within the 1st hour after delivery.... nobody advise on this matter before... I watch a youtube regarding " breast crawl", showing a newborn baby crawl by his own and suck the mother's nipple... i am so touched...feel like want to cry... this is the nature... the god creation...for those breastfeeding mama out there... "gan ba teh"

i got question!!! previous post i mentioned i'm a hepetities carrier. but after check with GH dr, dr said no problem for me to BF the baby.. last week i went for private gynae check up, ask dr same question too but he just reply "normally we dont encourage" .. hb ask him why, again he repeat "we not encourage!!" hb so fed up, going to change gynae for next mth check up :( what should i do? who should i ask???

llewelynn,

i really understand how you feel! just ignore them. like you say, it's YOUR baby & we know we are giving the BEST for our babies! may i know is your MIL taking care of your baby? if yes, maybe next time when you bring your baby to see paedictrician, bring her along. if your paedic is BF friendly, ask him/her to "inform" your MIL on the goodness on BM. sometimes 1 word from the doc is better then a thousand from us. if possible "pakat" with your doc 1st, even better, hehehe. although both my mom & MIL dont really support me BF, they just kept quiet after a while cos they know no matter what they say, i wont listen & i will self induce "pekak". my head tooo keras for them to handle, hahahaha.

wow, you are very "keng" can pump & hand expression simultaneously! must teach me how to do it! actually if you plan to BF long term, it's worth investing in a double pump (i am still trying to convince hubby <_< ).

we gambate together! you are not alone ~hugs~!

xiaposh,

since you will be seeing another doc nx month, i think it's best you ask his/her opinion. i am unable to find any lactation consultant contact in JB for you. the nearest one is in spore. from what i read she is willing to make home visits but it's chargeable. if you are interested, let me know. i will PM the contact to you. dont worry too much ok? ~hugs~

xiaoposh, your baby will receive her hepatitis B immune globulin and the first dose of hepatitis B vaccine within 12 hours of birth. So it in no problem for you to breastfeed your baby, don't worry so much. Just that, you might need to take extra care of you nipples to avoid cracking and bleeding, that's all.

I got this information from the lactaion consultant, not I say say only ar... :P

i got question!!! previous post i mentioned i'm a hepetities carrier. but after check with GH dr, dr said no problem for me to BF the baby.. last week i went for private gynae check up, ask dr same question too but he just reply "normally we dont encourage" .. hb ask him why, again he repeat "we not encourage!!" hb so fed up, going to change gynae for next mth check up :( what should i do? who should i ask???

Hi Xiaoposh,

I know a lactation consultant who's oso a pediatrician.....but she is in Pg. If u are keen to know, I can give u her email.....not here....cos' not sure if she will like her email published in public. Or....u can join MMPS group in the "Facebook". U can find her there too. Beside her, we have Dr. Jamie, a GP, but doing her lactation consultant too....can check with her too.

thanks for supporting... my DD will start eating solids soon next month... then she will be less drinking my milk. Just worry about my milk supply will decrease...

hey you gals out there, how you all manage the milk supply during this time? do i need to reduce my pumping session at work ? cut down the milk storage ? or continue? please advice ....

Besides, do i need to start with cereal for baby 1st then only go for porridge with meat / vege / potato?

actually i see my mother in law feeds her grandson 6 months +, with quite a great amount of porridge... i think it is too much for a small baby.... she keep on saying after feed the babyboy with porridge, he got stronger and grow better... ???

sure she will complain if i give less to my baby later.... ahhahaha

luckily my MIL not taking care of my baby... but my hubby like to go to his parent's house... so still have to always face them... i don't understand why, when my baby newborn time, my parents in law want me to feed the baby with anticolic medicine each time before feeding... they claimed that better... i give once or twice that ignored.... do you think this make sense? i am trying hard to give LESS medicine to baby... even the Yu Yan Sang...

Janicelly: how old is your baby now?

for the hand expression, i push my mind very hard to do it.... but it is very tiring.... that's why i plan to look for anyone's electric breast pump that can lent to me... i cannot buy the double pump anymore... over budget ... :( ... so regret for not getting a double pump at the 1st place..

anyone can lend a breast pump to me ? just asking....

yesterday DD went for 5th month injection, last night fever... i am so worried.. luckily now better... god bless

my gal had her 3rd month immunisation last week and she was down with fever for 2 days. At night, it went up to over 38 C and freaked us out. She's exclusively on BM. But the thing is, when she was down with fever, her appetite went down and refused to be fed. I was so desperate to keep her hydrated i fed her with water too. So i'm not really sure if my BM did help bring the fever down...

i heard a BF bb, aft injection if gets fever, once feed my BM, will get well very soon...right?

babies drinking BM have better immunity system.

but BM is not for curing any illness.

Janicelly: how old is your baby now?

for the hand expression, i push my mind very hard to do it.... but it is very tiring.... that's why i plan to look for anyone's electric breast pump that can lent to me... i cannot buy the double pump anymore... over budget ... :( ... so regret for not getting a double pump at the 1st place..

anyone can lend a breast pump to me ? just asking....

yesterday DD went for 5th month injection, last night fever... i am so worried.. luckily now better... god bless

llewelynn,

my baby is almost 3 mths old :)

i tried hand expression but it didnt work very well, made my boob sakit. wrong technique i guess :P but will read more about it & try again.

hope you DD is better!

i am due on june... any idea how to make sure i got breast milk when the bb arrives?? can i start pumping one month before deliver?? :)

Hi....

If u r having normal delivery...your milk should be there once u deliver. To boost it, tell your dr. you want to breastfeed your bb and ask them to let you have "skin to skin" contact immediately after birth. If your dr allow breast crawl...then even better.

If u have to go for C session, then your milk will arrive a bit late. But still ask for "skin to skin" it will help your body to speed up the milk production once your bb is delivered.

No pumping needed, until you are about time to go back to work. Bb suckle is the best pump. If you give frequent feeding and bb latch on well, then you will have sufficient milk.

For mum-to-be, I suggest that you get more infor about breastfeeding, get full support from your family, at least your partner.....and have strong stand on what you think is BEST for your bb. Then lots of issues can be overcome smoother.

Take care.

Why we need skin-to-skin contact in order for breastfeed?? It will help more?

According to my sis, she is normal birth, but first few days also no milk for bb wo...y ar?

hmm... like tat before i go for c-sec, can i ask my hubby to suck first? :P hehehe... can he trigger the milk ar?? then when bb arrive got milk dee..

got such thing ?? :D

hmm... like tat before i go for c-sec, can i ask my hubby to suck first? :P hehehe... can he trigger the milk ar?? then when bb arrive got milk dee..

got such thing ?? :D

:lol::lol::lol: u r so funny! ur hb suction wouldn't stimulate milk production.

for newborns, their stomach is very small just like the size of 10c coin, they actually getting enough from mothers who always think they have not enough milk for their babies. for the 1st 3-4 days, u produce colostrum for ur baby, the volume is not high but enough to full your baby's stomach. on the 5th-6th day, ur milk will be coming in bigger volume.

the most important thing is to let your baby suckle on your nipple within the 1st hour after delivery, then let she/ he to suckle as on demand, even though u think u've no milk. to do this, ur baby can stimulate ur body to produce more milk as the demand is there.

hope this help. ;)

if c-sec under GA, how to breastfeed the bb immediately ?? need to wait till waking up from GA right?

anybodi who have gone thru c-sec under GA, please give some opinions. thanks

if c-sec under GA, how to breastfeed the bb immediately ?? need to wait till waking up from GA right?

anybodi who have gone thru c-sec under GA, please give some opinions. thanks

My aunt went through C-sec under GA, when she woke up, she threw up badly and couldn't really be sobble for almost few days... she could be allergic to it, that's what the doctor said.

For c-sec uner epidural, you will be wide awake after a few hr and can breastfeed baby right away, you can get down the bed after 12 hr. Well, for my case, it is like that lor...

I delivered via c-sec under epidural. I was totally knocked out once they got my baby out. but my gal was sent for supervision and even though we requested for her to be brought to me for breastfeeding hours later (when i was awake already), she was already fed with formula to prevent dehydration. we tried a couple of positions but i was in so much pain, my attempts to breastfeed failed. My gal was spoon fed with formula and later on mixed with my expressed milk for almost a week before i could exclusively breast feed her. So i never did get to feed her with any colostrum.

Times like that can make you give up breastfeeding easily. Like what shloh said, it's important to read beforehand about BF and how to overcome certain problems that may arise. There are other issues that will discourage you, like sore/cracked nipples, engorgements, the late nights, long feeds, etc... Just remember to persevere no matter what, coz your 'little friends' will get tougher :)

Both hubby and I attended a short ante natal class prior to my delivery. Their topic on breastfeeding really opened my hubby's eyes and made him extremely supportive of my breastfeeding journey. That probably explained why he never did complain/comment on how much time and money i spent as well :) I bet if we can get our in laws to attend the seminars, they might be more supportive too.