Sign in to follow this  
fusionista

Panau / Hon Pan / Tinea Versicolor

My parents said that panau is caused by taking a cold shower after you sweat. I read about it online and the Western medicine did not say anything of that sort.

My mom misinformed me that this is ringworm, but it is actually a type of yeast infection on the skin and is called Tinea Versicolor.

My dad has suffered from this for all his life and I know my hb has them too.

Does anyone know of any proven way to cure this skin condition?

Hi girl

Try to use Daktarin cream (Contains active ingredient called miconazole)

Really helps

That's what I normally dispense in the pharmacy I work

Try it... :)

Thanks Sharon,

My FIL also has this problem.

I will try to look for such OTC medicine for him

http://www.medicinenet.com/tinea_versicolor/page2.htm#4howis

If it's ringworm, try to go to chinese medical hall..buy the solution for the ringworm...if I am not mistaken, it's "three-leg" brand...very effective..my hubby got ringworm, apply that..straightforward die off the roots...

Actually, according to my doc, you should look carefully before buying any medication. Panau is Pityriasis versicolor and it is a type of fungal infection. Active panau has a red ring around the edge, which is why it can be easily mistaken for ringworm. If there is no ring edge, it's just the residue and the fungus is dead so the body is trying to heal itself. I do remember that when I was a kid and had them (dead or active), the school nurses actually put a mild acid solution to burn it off. You can find it at pharmacies in M'sia but I'm not too sure about the US/Canada. :)