Sign in to follow this  
june11

"Cry-It-Out'method...successful rate?

Wanted to add that sometimes babies do get up earlier...but if it doesn't happen too often, it is acceptable. For e.g. my daughter woke up today at 5.30am. It is quite unusual - she does this maybe once a month. But well, she was crying at 5.30am, so we had to pick her up, and she refused to go to sleep after that. But to me, that's ok...maybe she had a bad dream.

UniqueSoul: yeah he only take BM...he started on MAMEX GOLD, accept for a while then now dont want already, trying to replace with FM soya and shall see the result...

Ally's Mom : No. not tally blackout room, we open the window a bit but got thick curtain. Yeah am trying hard to be consistent, around 9:30pm to 10:00pm will put him down (in dark room, no light in the room but with door open a bit, light shine in from outside). IF he doze off in 15min time he will wake up again in 30min or 1 hour later...BUT if he drag until 11 or 12am only doze off then he will wake up like 3 or 4 hours later...I find it weird.. :p

And yeah I think he always have bad dream too, sometimes he looks scared.. :(

June, I am not surprised that when your baby drags sleep to 11/12 midnight, he tends to wake up more in the middle of the night. It is because he becomes overtired when he delays his sleep, and therefore becomes restless when sleeping. Try to get him to sleep earlier :)

You may want to try closing the door and put him in a completely dark room - complete darkness is supposed to help babies sleep better.

I am currently sleep training my baby (he is 6 weeks old). My baby sleeps well after he has been cuddled or fed to sleep. For babies who are being fed to sleep, they are not given the opportunity to learn to settle themselves, and this can later become a habit difficult to break. My purpose of sleep training at this junture is not to stop him from waking up at night for his feeds, but to train him to be able to settle himself and sleep alone.

I follow these steps:

1. quiet wind down time

2. settling my baby: when he is ready for sleep, i'll place him in his cot, AWAKE, kiss him, and gently ask him to go to sleep, then leave the room. If he cries, I'll wait for 30 secs before entering back into the room, and i'll calm him down by gently and slowly rubbing his back, stroke his forehead, and sing to him, sometimes, i'll bend over to hug him (but never never lift him up from his cot). After he has quiten and relaxed, i'll leave the room, leaving him AWAKE so that he can learn to settle to sleep himself. If he his crying intensely and nothing can calm him down (this is approximately after trying for 15-20 mins), i'll pick him up for a cuddle, and will try to resettle her when she shows signs of sleepiness. Sometimes i'll need to resettle him for MANY MANY MANY TIMES before he finally falls asleep (can take up to 4 hrs!!).

The key word is: don't quit. sometimes i really feel like picking him up when his cry intensified (to the extend that his face turned DEEP DEEP red, and there were no sound coming out from him), but i persisted (with A LOT of will power). So far so good, he'll eventually fall asleep (can be very traumatic for both parents and baby, however, for the benefit of everyone, we MUST persist and he'll eventually learn).

hi 2ys,

does your method reli work on your baby to self soothe himself? my son is currently 6 weeks old too and needs to be cuddled to sleep. the problem is my confinement lady seems to be the only one to be able to cuddle him to sleep, both my hubby and i failed to do so despite numerous attempts. she is gonna leave by end of this month and i can't rely on her to put my child to sleep.

does your baby still get up for his night feeds after trying out this method? if yes, do u do the same thing after feeding him full?

Cant you let your baby sleep in a cradle net to save all the hassle? Don't be surprised if baby wakes up at mid of night for feed. YOu still got 4-5 mths to go before baby sleeps throughout the night..

Cant you let your baby sleep in a cradle net to save all the hassle? Don't be surprised if baby wakes up at mid of night for feed. YOu still got 4-5 mths to go before baby sleeps throughout the night..

sanju is entering 7 mo and only now he is learning to sleep thruout the night... anyways i am not complaining

To be honest, Eva used to want to be cuddled to sleep but as she got older (from 9-10 mths onwards at least), she no longer wants us to cuddle her. She prefers to hug her "Ba Ba" (soft toy sheep) and sleep on her own. Sometimes I really miss holding or cradling her to sleep so it makes me wonder why a lot of people want to train their kiddos to be independent so quickly.

To be honest, Eva used to want to be cuddled to sleep but as she got older (from 9-10 mths onwards at least), she no longer wants us to cuddle her. She prefers to hug her "Ba Ba" (soft toy sheep) and sleep on her own. Sometimes I really miss holding or cradling her to sleep so it makes me wonder why a lot of people want to train their kiddos to be independent so quickly.

i agree with mabel.. all that cuddling and pacifying, i really enjoy it, even more after i started working and had very little time on weekdays with him. On occasions he wakes up at nite for feeding, hubby would quickly jump onto his feet and run down prepare milk while i play wit him

Wah, Qarezma, your HB is so good! I think my HB and I are not very maternal people. Which is why we put off having any children untill 5 years after we were married. I respect those moms who are so patient and spends soo much time with their babies. My sis is one such person. And she enjoys it! Which sometimes I find it hard to understand :P I guess we just have different characters, eventhough we were brought up in the same environment by the same parents.

Wah, Qarezma, your HB is so good! I think my HB and I are not very maternal people. Which is why we put off having any children untill 5 years after we were married. I respect those moms who are so patient and spends soo much time with their babies. My sis is one such person. And she enjoys it! Which sometimes I find it hard to understand :P I guess we just have different characters, eventhough we were brought up in the same environment by the same parents.

i guess we are just trying to make up for loss time with our baby :) but of course sometimes baby's frequent whining & crying irritates us, but one of us will try to remain the cool to pacify him.. so far works hehe....

Q, y'know, sometimes when I cradle carry Eva, she'll give me this "I'm bored, can you please put me down now?" face. Haiz. Sometimes I feel that she's really growing up too fast.

i know 6 weeks is too young and i don't mind at all to cuddle my boy to sleep. i just noticed the problem yesterday mite not be becuz of the way my hubby or i cuddle him...he's used to my confinement lady's body scent. she is the one whom been taking care of him most of the time. i could not take care of him exclusively 3 days after he was born as i had a bad side effect due to epidural and was hospitalised and ordered to bed rest for almost a month.

now that i am well i've told my CL that i want to slowly take things over..my only challenge is whenever he needs to sleep especially 7-8pm timing, he gets frustrated and no matter how i cuddle him he cries even louder. for the past 2 days i tried to coax and cuddle him he cries so loud until face super red. but when the moment my CL carries him away from my arms, he stops immediately! as a mum, i feel totally sucky..i mean i'm supposed to be the one whom he's closest to but i fail big time. :sad:

unique - my boy MUST be cuddled in order to sleep. if we just put him in the cot / cradle net even after a feed, he'll be crying to be picked up.

my CL is leaving end of this month and i am so worried he will be crying nonstop. my hubby said no matter what he'll eventually get used to us..just that we have to bear with his cryings for a few days.

reminds me of my confinement days... for some reason, i nvr let my mom put my baby, or cuddle, or carry him to sleep.. i always wanted to do it myself... donno post partum thingy or what, but i always had this worry, if my mom does everything for me, how am i gonna manage when i am back all on my own? i think during this time i did offend my mother a little, but i hope she understands...

2-3weeks thru confinement, i started helping mom to do his laundry too.. again for same reason.. i didnt want to be left with sudden loneliness and not able to do anything on my own

I let my CL do everything until the last 2 days before she left :D Only then I started learning from her how to bathe baby, clean poop, swaddle. So the last 2 days I took care of the baby entirely on my own, with the CL supervising me. My daughter was somehow pretty ok with the transition, didn't fuss or anything. Maybe coz I have been BFing her directly since she was born. My mom was superworried about whether I could cope immediately after my CL left. She came and check in on me every few times a day (I was home alone with baby). Thankfully my daughter was a pretty easy baby to look after...she mostly just drink milk and sleep.

Why don't you try this method - get the CL to carry your boy with a cloth/sarong so that the sarong/cloth will absorb her body smell and then you use the cloth/sarong when you carry your boy. Then slowly, over time, you carry him with other stuff. Also, absord your CL whens she carries your boy. Does she sing or talk to him? You can try that as well - sing to your boy, talk to him and so forth.

My HB used to have this problem with Eva when she was young. He was always busy and didn't get to take care of her in the first few weeks so every time he carry her, she'll cry and cry. So I'll pass him one of my shirts - wear but never wash so it has my smell - and he'll drape it over his chest while carrying her. I also sing to Eva so I'll encourage my HB to sing and talk to her. Slowly but surely, she got used to him and sometimes now will want him to carry her and so forth. I also got my HB to babywear my daughter as often as possible (I babywear her all the time...even now).

It takes some time but you'll need to work with your boy - he's just scared and unfamiliar so you need to reassure him that he'll be safe and comfy with you.

Q, I too did most of the baby care myself - change diapers, burp, wet wipe, etc. Only sometimes when I need to go to the toilet or eat, my mum will take over but even then, she has to wait her turn coz my HB comes second after me. :)

Same for me too, felt that i'll mess things up without my mum. since my mum take care of her all this while, she stick to my mum alot..

junibabe, your baby used to be cradle to sleep by the CL ya? Why not from now onwards u cradle him to sleep so that he can get use to it?

meiteoh - yea i did thought of the sarong method too.maybe i'll go scout for one and hopefully it works. my CL doesn't sing or talk to him (but i will do that if i carry him) but she carries him and lightly swaddle him in her arms..i've been observing all these while and sometimes it works, sometimes it don't for me..nevertheless i'll keep on trying..

ally's mom - you're lucky to have an easy baby to take care. i notice my boy is pretty fussy and must have things to be his way. eg: when he does not want his milk, he'll use his tongue to stick it out and push the bottle away. even my CL said so too.

unique - yea since he was born my CL cradles him to bed. it doesn't help much too when he is the 1st grandson for both my hubby and my side so during the 1st month our parents are carrying him alot and i guess that's how he got used to it. i barely had the chance to carry him what more breastfeed cuz of bed rest. so i had to express my milk out for him. i tried getting him to latch on but he refused, think he's gotten used to bottle fed. i now take every oppt there is to cradle him whenever possible.

haha silly me! shud hv thought of that too..am desperate to try all ways in order to cuddle him to sleep that i'll try whatever method to do so..

my boy woke up just now from his sleep and was crying so i had to pick him up and cuddle him...finally for the 1st time after many days he actually sleeps in my arms and manage to gently put him back into his cot without waking up...let's hope it continues to be like this :biggrin:

haha silly me! shud hv thought of that too..am desperate to try all ways in order to cuddle him to sleep that i'll try whatever method to do so..

my boy woke up just now from his sleep and was crying so i had to pick him up and cuddle him...finally for the 1st time after many days he actually sleeps in my arms and manage to gently put him back into his cot without waking up...let's hope it continues to be like this :biggrin:

dont worry.. NB will change their habit pretty fast, just be strong and dont give up :)