twinkles

Food Aversion During Pregnancy

Hi there,

I am suffering from severe food aversions....I am beginning to go crazy :dash2:

I do feel hungry but once food is right in front of me, I just can't put them into my mouth.. I can't seem to eat anything.. :wacko:

Currently I am "surviving" just by drinking milk with nestum or munching on muesli bars or coco krunch cereal...

Does anyone feels like that? How do you cope....

Do you have any morning sickness and all? Starting to visit any gynae yet?

yes, i started to see the gynae who said it's pretty normal to have food aversion. My "morning sickness" is the worst in the evening... I vomitted before but not severely...

my biggest problem now is that i am already having very very small meal throughout the day..yet i can't eat during this small meals.... sigh....

I guess it's pretty normal during early pregnancy, no worries, I believe you'll slowly gain your appetite back starting 2nd trimester.... :lol: & not having enough food now won't really hurt your baby as pregnant ladies don't usually gain any weight for the 1st 4 months anyway, just make sure you have enough supplements to support your baby's growth & development since you're obviously not getting enough from food.... :rolleyes:

+u....... there's still a long way to go....... :wub:

it's pretty normal cuz i had the same pro during my early pregnancy... i wanted to eat everything but when the food is infront of me, i feel like vomiting.

just relax yrself. enjoy ur pregnancy and not to worry much. u will hv ur appetite or cravings when u r in yr 2nd trimester...

It's normal - when I was pregnant with Eva, I had the same thing. So I just eat whatever that I can eat provided it's not anything like junk...mind you, I wasn't even on supplements!

meiteoh, savanah,vv_xoxo,

thanks so much for your encouragements! I don't feel so crazy after all.. I thought I being a nuisance to my husband and family...coz I complain I am hungry yet I can't eat anything...... now and then, just drink hot milk... :-s It's like I am a big baby myself...

Sometimes I even cry (dunno why so teary eyes).... coz of this food aversion frustration...

Anyway, thanks again for your support... I am praying and hoping 2nd trimester comes soon and the pregnancy is successful....

meiteoh -- I am not on any supplements too, as my gynae mentioned in my previous visit it is too early for supplements...He said sometimes supplements like Obimin makes the morning sickness/food aversion worst.... He didn't know the food aversion is getting worse from the last time I visited him...but I guess since you have a lovely baby, Eva... I don't need to worry right?

Me too. I dont have appetide on food even on small meal. I have gastric and become worse with gassy and gastric without food. Doctor didnt give me supplement except folic acid as he said it wil make me worse. What i eat only only bread and milo and force myself to eat apple (cant eat fruit coz gastric). I cant smell with food also.

Now i m in week 14 and condition is better but still cant eat mcuh after evenning. So , i think your condition will become better like me and hopefully i can eat well in the coming week.

I have been throwing up all day, and some foods make it really worse.The smell of coffee especially is soooooo horrible to me. And Im only 6 weeks along.

I can only eat plain crackers with teh-o and if my stomach doesnt feel too acidic, I eat green apples. I vomit so much till my tummy always feels acidic. How to handle this ah.

All those stuff that I used to love, fried rice, bee hoon, laksa etc makes me go ugghhhhhh now. Kenot tahan even looking at it.

I did realize I like eating Mc'D Filet o Fish though. I think its coz its very light tasting.

And yes Twinkles, I feel like crying too sometimes.

For most women, it does get better...BUTTTTTTT, there are some out there who go through the whole vomitting and morning sickness throughout their pregnancy. I know of at least two MB mums who have this problem so keep your fingers crossed okay.

In my case, so far, food aversions are towards anything oily or smell greasy/buttery so typical Asian bakeries are off-limits for me and so is fast food. Can't say I don't mind. :p

The nause starts from noon and peaks right after I finish work so dinner is a horrible affair, especially when I have to cook. Haiz.

For most women, it does get better...BUTTTTTTT, there are some out there who go through the whole vomitting and morning sickness throughout their pregnancy. I know of at least two MB mums who have this problem so keep your fingers crossed okay.

In my case, so far, food aversions are towards anything oily or smell greasy/buttery so typical Asian bakeries are off-limits for me and so is fast food. Can't say I don't mind. :p

The nause starts from noon and peaks right after I finish work so dinner is a horrible affair, especially when I have to cook. Haiz.

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your second pregnancy/baby.... ;) I really admire you that you still can cook. I am still coping with this food aversion.. and very painful chest pain that only happens at night (i think it's heartburn) that I am not doing anything else except trying to work....

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your second pregnancy/baby.... ;) I really admire you that you still can cook. I am still coping with this food aversion.. and very painful chest pain that only happens at night (i think it's heartburn) that I am not doing anything else except trying to work....

yea, mabel is still cooking.. gosh... i gave up some time back!

twinkle.. it is heartburn for sure.. how many weeks are u now?

some mornings i wake up with gastric like sensation, doctor told me it is normal.. sigh

one thing i want to ask.. i am now 19-20weeks and i started feeling tightenings on my tummy... braxton hicks so soon?

No leh, I read that BH can be felt earlier by women in their second (or subsequent) pregnancies.

Thanks for the congrats! Yeah, still cooking because eating out is not an option for either HB or Eva. But it's usually simple stuff or baked goodies.

With the heartburn, I used to sleep on two to three pillows to help sooth the feeling/sensation...and cut back on the spicy food.

No leh, I read that BH can be felt earlier by women in their second (or subsequent) pregnancies.

Thanks for the congrats! Yeah, still cooking because eating out is not an option for either HB or Eva. But it's usually simple stuff or baked goodies.

With the heartburn, I used to sleep on two to three pillows to help sooth the feeling/sensation...and cut back on the spicy food.

the pillow method worked for me too...

aww... i was so scared the other day.. i remember my BH used to be so rampant during my 1st pregnancy too

garezma, I am 9 weeks.....

sleeping with 2 pillows eh.... probably need to try that....but normally i "cope" by forcing myself to sleep so I can forget all the discomfort...though sometimes when i wake up, i feel it...

i don't feel anything in the morning... except these couple of days... i seemed to feel thirsty at nite... hmmm...

how i envy those who does not suffer from any pregnancy discomfort.... like my SIL...

garezma, I am 9 weeks.....

sleeping with 2 pillows eh.... probably need to try that....but normally i "cope" by forcing myself to sleep so I can forget all the discomfort...though sometimes when i wake up, i feel it...

i don't feel anything in the morning... except these couple of days... i seemed to feel thirsty at nite... hmmm...

how i envy those who does not suffer from any pregnancy discomfort.... like my SIL...

pregnancy discomforts might not be same for all, but it would be rather rare to see someone without any discomfort at all...

u also can check out what is causing the heartburn... is it certain type of food only? if possible, avoid it

my cousin told me taking coconut water helped her heartburn, but many ppl against preggy women taking coconut water

That's nonsense la. Coconut water is actually very good for pregnant women - doesn't matter when. It's high in vitamins and minerals, especially potassium, great for preventing leg cramps.

I've had people tell me to stop eating oranges, bananas, pineapples, mutton and even cheese when I was pregnant with Eva. I didn't bother and ate anyway. Eva is fine and healthy plus if you think about it logically, there are lots of pregnant women in other parts of the world eating all sorts of things and their babies turned out fine, if not great!

For those of you suffering from bad morning/evening/all day sickness, just eat whatever you can (try to avoid junk food). You will need all the nutrients from whatever you can eat. I had hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive vomitting) when I was pregnant & I "survived" on plain white bread, plain/veggie porridge & fruits for the entire 1st trimester. My diet is not as complete as I like it to be but unfortunately, those are the only things I can tolerate. Just keep trying new food, if this week you can't tolerate noodle, doesn't mean next week you can't. Just try whatever you fancy, if can't, stop & try again on a later date. Take care all mommies!

I eat whatever i can unless it's not recommended for my baby, like raw meat etc. Others, I eat.

I also had morning sickness for this 2nd pregnancy. Would throw up everything after a meal esp after dinner.

I used to eat very plain food, avoid spicy n oily food in the 1st trimester.

I also used to order lots of food n have a huge appetite but end up eating 10% n my hb eating the rest.

Thank God now it's better since I'm in my second trimester. Slowly gaining weight again.

Hope all pregnant moms there wont have too bad morning sickness.

my beautician shared with me, that her client taught her to put a pack of biscuits and a thermos filled with warm water by the bedside prior to sleep. when she woke up, she drank the warm water and ate the biscuits. rested a while before she got up to walk and go about doing what you have to do, ie. shower, house chores etc.