Sign in to follow this  
JoJa

13 mths baby refuse to drink plain water

Dear mummies,

My 13 months baby girl refuse to drink plain water except she is really thirsty after sweating. Once she sweat then she will drink for 1-2 oz using her bottle. But if she din play around till sweating she refuse to drink even a sip of water. Really scare that her body will get heated. Any moms came acroos this. Hope can get some response from MB mummies. Thanks for sharing!!

Have you tried making water more fun for her to drink from?

Like getting her to choose a pretty or bright colored cup/straw cup to drink from?

Maybe putting in ice cubes for her? Or adding a squirt of fresh lemon in the water? Or pandan leaves?

First up, how is she getting in her water? Via sippy, straw, etc? Maybe you can start her on training cups - she probably feels more "adult" with the cup and more incline to drink.

Leading by example is a good trick too. We always only drink water around Eva and whenever we drink, we ask her if she wants some - from the time I started her on solids, I've been doing this. So she is into the habit of drinking water and even on her own. She recognizes her water bottle in the fridge and will hunt for it - in fact, she'd get all upset if she can't find it. >.<

Leading by example is a good trick too. We always only drink water around Eva and whenever we drink, we ask her if she wants some - from the time I started her on solids, I've been doing this. So she is into the habit of drinking water and even on her own. She recognizes her water bottle in the fridge and will hunt for it - in fact, she'd get all upset if she can't find it. >.<

that's right. i believe my kid picked up the water drinking habit when he was still a newborn and i was carrying him in my arms, gulping down cups of water, throughout the day. phew!

Thanks mummies for ur sharing.......will give a try. Hope it works..by the way how much does a baby/toddler needs water perday???

Thanks mummies for ur sharing.......will give a try. Hope it works..by the way how much does a baby/toddler needs water perday???

enough to see the urine is not too dark (like chrysanthemum tea) nor too clear (overfeeding of fluid). moderation is key.

First up, how is she getting in her water? Via sippy, straw, etc? Maybe you can start her on training cups - she probably feels more "adult" with the cup and more incline to drink.

now via baby bottle~~~ better give a new thing for her to try....

What I did for my son which eventually worked was to mix some juices (Marigold Fruit Juices or Vege Juices) or sometimes 100 Plus into his sipping cup and then gradually reduce the Juice. Now he drinks water from the sipping cup without having to add Juices but sometimes, I still add the Juices for added Vitamins etc. He really likes the Juices and even the parents share with him.

If you're still feeding water by baby bottle, you can try this trick which I've used on my baby.

I'd drink from my own glass in front of him, then offer him to drink from my same cup.

She'll usually find it fun to do what you're doing and try a few mouths. Good luck!