wegness

Marco Polo VS Royal China Restaurant

Hi,

Initially i want to hv my wedding in hotel but after many ppl give me suggestion. I am considering chinese restaurant now. If anyone go to these 2 restaurant wedding before, please give me some idea in term of food, environment, decoration and service.

Thank you.

hi wegness,

i've been to my frend's wedding in Royal china. food wise good. the deco is simple. personally, wat i dun like bout this restaurant is the reception area, which is too small. when u have a table & 2-3 chairs there,already took up half of the reception area. then when some guest arrived n chit-chat around there, u gotta squeeze thru them in order to go downstairs. if u took up the hall only, i think there are min tables for tat. then while u having your wedding dinner, i think u still sharing the restaurant wif other ppl,who will be having dinner in their VIP rooms.not too sure wether they can open up the VIP rooms as well. :)

mayb you can ask JooJoo bout Royal China..if im not mistaken, she's having her wedding dinner there. :) :)

piggy..

u hv very good memory. ya i am taking royal china.

when u take restaurants, normally hv to forgo ambience/ deco etc coz restaurants r not known for dat unless u willing to top up..for me, due to budget constraint n PIL insists on restaurant (which they deem serve better chinese food)..dats y opt for royal china

main reason we chose ther was it can cater up to 100 tables if open up the rooms. we r taking 70 tables so we wun b sharing the hall. ya, if wan to book the whole hall, at least 50-55 tables lor..esp during peak period.

food wise is not bad, based on past experience, food tasting n also frens' opinion. quite reasonable package too, RM588, RM688, RM728 & RM888 (price did not increase this yr though food changed coz we booked last yr n we compare wif this yr menu).

ya, the registration area is rather small dats y we did thought of doin it downstairs but hot ler...so wil use upstairs lor...dat part hv to compromise ler....

there are 3 small pillars on the rite side of the hall...very small so wun affect lor..

i've been to marco polo. the food is also good n quite nice hall ler but they can cater up to 40++ tables only. they also hv big pillars lor but their tables r bigger as compared to royal china. in terms of deco, marco polo is nicer but royal china is newer....

Hi JooJoo,

yes yes... :lol:

and i listen to you, went to took their leaflet for menu packages they offer. i dun think i'll be able to take royal china coz as u mention, the hall need as least 50-55 tables (as i only have round 35-40 tables).i duwan to share wif other ppl lor. :)

but overall, i think royal china is a good option to those who r thinking of taking chinese restaurant, having alot of tables & newer environment compare to other chinese restaurants.

Hi,

Sigh, i always want a dream wedding in nice ambient, nice reception...blah blah...Wasted....coz i think Jim Liaw can take romantic photos in ballroom...if is in restautant...it will turn out different style...the venue bother me a lot ...i couldn't sleep well every night :lol: coz i m planning wedding in US and long time didn't go to restaurant and hotel wedding...cannot imagine....in my mind....chinese restaurant:

entrance: a lot of aquarium ...can see fish and shrimps....

then the stage with karoake...main course music Kitaro....argh....i am so sad...

hi wegness,

dun be so sad ler..btw, u book ur dinner venue edi izzit? i totally understand how u feel lor.coz me also like u...wana have it in ballroom,but my mum insist on chinese restaurant.then we keep on arguing(not really argue la.. :lol: ) tat i wana have it in ballroom.in the end,she agreed on it. but then,when i think about it again, it's really hard to find a good hotel wif nice deco,good food etcetc lor. when i finally found one,then the ballroom not enough space for me to have my 35-40 tables.then also bout my thight budget....sometimes, im so stress out too..till i find it's hard to breath normally leh... :( so now,i juz try hard to relax myself..keep on telling myself,the most imporant thing is,me n my FH enjoying ourself tat day lor..as long as we r happy,no matter where the dinner was held,it doesnt really matters... :)

eh...r we outta topic?!~ :P

Hi,

I ahven't booked the venue yet but ...seem like everyone prefer restaurant and ia m the one who insist on in hotel.....

Hi,

I've been to both restaurant for dinner last yr Nov & Dec

For Marco Polo i attended last yr Nov, my fren took the smaller hall which cater for not more than 20 tables. The deco & stage of the smaller hall not as nice as their main hall la. But their food is nice so this gv them a merit aredi. Yup, agreed with Joo Joo, their table & seat is bigger & nicer. The stage of the main hall oso bigger than the normal TT restaurant. Overall the environment is quite good also. But i'm not sure whether they can cater up to 40 tables or not. This u hv to call them up to check. But the best is u drop by there & hv a look with their restaurant 1st.

For the Royal China banquet i attended last yr Dec, there's one funny thing happen. It happen that the dinner started quite late abt 8.30p, so i guess the restaurant afraid cannot serve the 60 tables dishes on time so what they do is after the 2nd dish which is the shark fin then they started to serve different dishes for 30 tables & 30 tables. (i.e. half of the banquet 30 tables serve fish & another half will serve prawn, then vise-versa). This make a lot of guest curios & wonder how come the sequence of the dishes does not same as the menu lo.

so at the end will see 1 table serving vegetable then another table serving fried rice. This is which i think is funny lo, cos they are meant to cater big banquet but how come they cannot serve the dishes 2geda in the same time leh? However, with this kind of serving style they managed to finish serve all the dishes on 10.30pm, where is the time their employee finish working time.

Joo Joo,

If u dun wan this to happen to your coming banquet then i think u need to comunicate with them lo. To ensure this won't happen lo.

FYI, Royal China's banquest is a piece of hot cake, cos i called hem up to check on the availability for my AD nex yr Mac & they told me aredi been taken by ppl. So those who r interested to take Royal China better move fast cos it really vy popular & ppl might hv book it 1 1/2 yr ago.

For Marco Polo, I'm not too sure cos my fren only book her banquet last yr Aug & she managed to book the smaller hall for Nov. Mb bcos she only having a small banquet kua that's y she got the restaurant.

However, it's better to make ur booking for reataurant fast lo.

eh...ur situationa lso same as me... :lol: even my FH also wana have it at restaurant,coz he wana eat piglet..*sigh*....but luckily my dad is the only one tat said...'choose which ever venue u like,it's ur wedding'...in so kamtung... :lol: im kidda stubborn headed person,so in the end, if i can really get a ballroom, everyone will listen to me kua... :P

I booked Holiday Villa Victorian Ballroom until 30th April..haven't deposited....however, they keep saying the location is not good...susah to get there...not everyone knows....and a little bit "rasa sayang" feel.....not that happening....Prince hotel is too expensive...definitely will rugi....argh....my FH said i hv wedding psycho.....cannot sleep at night....

Wegness,

You're so cute! :) The way you describe the Chinese restaurants.. Hehe.. If everyone wants Chinese restaurant, you can always ask the decorator to decorate it in a romantic style where there's drapes around the restaurant. And if you're willing to pay more, I'm sure good decorators can do a good job.. Ask them to create the romantic feeling like hotels..

hi wegness,

hmm..im also looking forward to book holiday villa,but i think melissa mention in a thread tat alot r still in waiting list for victorian ballroom :( so i guess, i could juz forget about it lor.....

melissa,

yeah yeah :lol: exspecially the aquariums part... :P but for me, i really hate tat karaoke thingy too...imagine those drunken uncle,went up the stage n sing like there's no tomorrow... :lol: btw, can ask them to keep the karaoke set,izzit?

hi hi,

Co-incidently, I also been to Holiday Villa for a wedding bangquet last 2 yrs. The place is easy to find just look for SJMC then u'll sure get the place.hee. Parking wise also convenient, they hv quie a lot of parking lots.

The deco of the ballroom is vy nice, they hv crystal light hanging in the ball room. nice deco for the stage & oso nice furniture. Food wise also not bad which really supprise me cos all the while i tot hotel banquet food is not nice. But that nite i find their food quite good.

Wegness, hv u visit their ball room, if not mb u shud visit them once & then U'll know whether u like it or not.

my problem:

My FH family and relatives come from US and need accommodation. My parents said..it won't be convenient for them if choose to stay in holiday Villa....so better is in KL....easier for them to access...and I hv never been holiday villa victorian ballroom...but i heard it is very malay feel from my friends' comment...and somemore banquest is at night...nobody cna seee the lake...so..it doesn't matter next to lake or not....and it is not happening.....

Piggy,

they really do hv aquarium in marco polo na d royal china restaurant? if yes, i am definitely will faint...... :lol:

wegness..

haha, i think u watched too much TVB movies. nope, both marco polo n royal china no aquarium 1 lar...

i dun think u should stress urself too much on this issue, its suppose to b something to look forward n enjoy. if it realy matters to u on the venue i.e. u prefer ballroom, then insists on hotels. i'm sure both families will accomodate the bride..hehe. y dun u try renaisannce? its in town, the food is not too bad, grand ballroom n of course price will be 1K++ (same for all 5 star hotels). if out of ur budget, realy can consider restaurant but get ur own deco..i understand u wan to capture good memories/ background esp since jim is ur PG but being pro, i'm sure he's able to capture good shots irregardless of place..

for me, the venue is the least important issue for the wedding. to us, the dinner is mainly for the parents lor. so wat they like, we accomodate. to us, no dinner also can but parents object ler..say muz inform the whole world mah...so as long as they r happy, ok for us. as long as the venue is within our budget n the food is good, its more than sufficient.

charliz, ya..i've seen the same situation in royal china b4 when there was 2 weddings on the same nite. to avoid any delay in food i.e. some table got food, some dun hv, the dishes serve differs lor. to me, i dun realy c it as a problem as long as they serve all 9 dishes.. :lol:

Joo Joo, if u dun mind then it's ok lo. So hope u enjoy on ur wedding nite.

Wegness, if u really opt for hotel then i think as suggest by Joo Joo, Renaissance will b a good choice too. My cousin had his wed there last 2 yrs. Environment & Food oso nice but not sure with the price la. Mb u could check that out. Since ur FH family & relatives r coming from US & will stay in hotel, then mb u can choose a hotel where u'll have ur banquet too. So can solve all the access prob lo.

thanks charliz..

i hope i can enjoy too. juz the idea of seeing 70 tables make my head pening. but of course i wun go to each table to yam seng coz half of those tables i tak kenal...haha

hi charliz,

i havent got my AD date yet ler :( u also know la, went n ask sifu, but he said 'thung sheng' havent out.gonna wait till latest july only can get lor.im looking forward to march/april 2007. and even now,the guest list really make me headache..sigh

hi wegness,

nolah!..dun worry,i know royal china dun have those big aquarium,not too sure bout marco polo,coz havent been there bfore. :P

juz relax lor, if u stress out urself too much,then in the end,u'll sick of ur own wedding. juz try to let go n let it be....sometimes,u cant really pay too much attention to everything, or else, u'll end up stressing out urself too much leh... :)

Thanks for u gals's comments.....i think i am stressed out myself....cannot keep thinking of it.....i almost didn't sleep well for a month liao

Piggy,

oh u r yet to fix your AD la. hehe..i've fix mine cos both of our families no pantang on date selection so v get to choose our own AD without refering to master or "tung sheng". Our AD will b March nex yr & I've already reserve my banquet. Cos i wanna settle it fast so i quickly book my banquet lo. As i told u all, most of the date in Mac 2007 in Royal China has been taken by ppl. So i've no choise to fasten my process lo as v have fix our date to be nex yr Mac. So it'll b more secure if i make the reservation now. If u r looking fwd to Mac/ Apr nex yr, then u hv to move fast lo. :P

Joo Joo,

U choose not to greet the "yum sing" i think is a correct move. Cos thru my previous observe on my frens wed with 60 tables, i saw them separate into 3 groups to "geng zhau" lo. i.e. the bride's parents greet the bride's relatives, groom's parents greet groom's relative & the couple greet their col & frens. Then only able to finish the process. So it's vy tiring lo. U r smart girl, know hot to avoid it. hehe..:)

Wegness,

Try to relax urself, i'm sure u can allocate ur banquet & settle the prob. U can obtain a lot of useful info from this froum. This might help u to solve ur prob. So just b happy & relax.

charliz,

yeah lor...but wat to do,my parents wana choose auspicious date,so i guess juz gotta wait till then ler.i also know tat mostly alot of resturant & hotels kidda fully book for march/apr 2007. so juz gotta pray hard tat i'll able to get the one when i got my date. :(