gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

actually I start intro my son with cereal original favour brand Heitz.and also baby food-fruits brand heitz. I did try the biscuit original brand rusk. He quite likes it. but since the milk product scandal. I dare to buy anymore process food. I prepare baby food myself. I cook porridge by using slow cooker. remember, dont add any salt, pepper or sugar even though is tasteless. I just add-in some carrot or potato. then I add him "ikan bilis" which I wash it and use oven to dried it and blend till powder. He like it so much. Even me, also feel hungry and want to eat when I prepare for him.

have you all use Demeter Rice Cereal (I've used it and try to find it in cold storage, no longer got, other type like grain etc got) and now my collegue is recomending me to use Just life brand. Both brand are using organic food.

hi oxfordbb, does the porridge spillover when leave overnight in the slow cooker? what's the ratio for rice to water?

normally just boil oats for breakfast. then for the other meals its pureed food.

so far i've made puree food. normally steam or boil the pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, pear, apple & then use food processor to blend. after that, put in ice cube tray with cover & freeze, then just take down 1-2 cubes each time to defrost when time to eat. that way can have a mixture of different food each day. oh yes, after the ice cubes freeze normally bag into small plastic bags & write the date.

didn't buy the jar food coz its pricey, also not sure if it might be overly processed. very easy to steam the food for puree, when boiling rice, just add steamer trays on top & slice the food to place in. just steam while boiling rice, saves a lot of time.

*high 5* happi! i prepare my own baby food too :D .

when i 1st started, i gave Bellamy's Organic Rice Cereal. that was before i found out i can actually grind my own grains to make cereal. after that, it's all home made. initial stage i grind oranic millet into fine powder & cook in slow cooker. now later stage i make millet/quinoa/brown rice porridge (also in slow cooker).

i make purees too, just like what happi does. bake & steam depending on what i am making (veggies & fruits only). after frozen, i will put in tupperware freezermate. each morning, once i wake up, i will pop whatever combinations i want for the day into the cooked porridge in slow cooker (normally will prepare 2 different "flavours" - 1 for lunch & 1 for dinner). then i will proceed with my morning rituals. before i leave the house, i will scoop them into warmer & send to babysitter's house together with baby.

i try to give organic food too cos wanna give baby a good "foundation". later when they are bigger, sure will have a lot of rubbish (fast food etc) masuk their mulut.

Hi janicelly,

That means you prepare the food for babysitter also. Your babysitter doesn't cook the food for the baby ? Well you give me a good idea because I worry the babysitter may put salt and seasoning into the baby food. You cook the porridge at night in slow cooker and put in the ingredients next morning ?

I also puree food and store into cubes. What a time saver man...

So far the only processed food I've given my gal was the oat porridge from Bellamy's, also organic. We were travelling at that time so it was easy to just mix powder with hot water.

Otherwise, it is homemade baby food. To save time, we prepare and cook in batches. and for the grains, you can wash, dry in oven under low heat, grind then store.

For her snacks, sometimes i cut fruits in chunks, or mash them up or make really thick puree and feed her through the food feeder.

<<<<<hi oxfordbb, does the porridge spillover when leave overnight in the slow cooker? what's the ratio for rice to water?

normally just boil oats for breakfast. then for the other meals its pureed food.

so far i've made puree food. normally steam or boil the pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, pear, apple & then use food processor to blend. after that, put in ice cube tray with cover & freeze, then just take down 1-2 cubes each time to defrost when time to eat. that way can have a mixture of different food each day. oh yes, after the ice cubes freeze normally bag into small plastic bags & write the date.

didn't buy the jar food coz its pricey, also not sure if it might be overly processed. very easy to steam the food for puree, when boiling rice, just add steamer trays on top & slice the food to place in. just steam while boiling rice, saves a lot of time.>>>>>>>>

Hi happi,

nope. I will cook in the early morning before go to work about 8.30am. Usually it's take about 21/2-3 hrs.because my son lunch time about 11.15-12noon. But make sure that you use warm/hot water. hmmm....I did try potato mashes for my son. but he prefer porridge.

Hi girls, how long do we have to put baby on rice cereal before progressing to pureed veg/fruits or porridge?

*high5* janicelly! will try to use organic, but sometimes difficult to find fresh & nice ones & not too expensive. where do u gals normally buy yr organic produce?

thanks oxfordbb, will try another time. will be a big timesaver if no need to stir constantly.

*high 5* happi! i prepare my own baby food too :D .

when i 1st started, i gave Bellamy's Organic Rice Cereal. that was before i found out i can actually grind my own grains to make cereal. after that, it's all home made. initial stage i grind oranic millet into fine powder & cook in slow cooker. now later stage i make millet/quinoa/brown rice porridge (also in slow cooker).

i make purees too, just like what happi does. bake & steam depending on what i am making (veggies & fruits only). after frozen, i will put in tupperware freezermate. each morning, once i wake up, i will pop whatever combinations i want for the day into the cooked porridge in slow cooker (normally will prepare 2 different "flavours" - 1 for lunch & 1 for dinner). then i will proceed with my morning rituals. before i leave the house, i will scoop them into warmer & send to babysitter's house together with baby.

i try to give organic food too cos wanna give baby a good "foundation". later when they are bigger, sure will have a lot of rubbish (fast food etc) masuk their mulut.

Hi Janicelly

May I know where did you buy the Bellamy's rice cereal? So far, I have only seen the Holle and Why Not? brands at the organic shops / organic aisle in the supermarket ...Have you tried these 2 brands before?

i fed my boy just life cereal when he was abt 5+ mths..then ( till now) i cook combi of millet+quinou+barley+black eye pea+lentils+ dry scallop powder+brocolli+carrot+bayam / spanich+pumpkin every morning right aft i wake up, then will feed him b4 i send him over to his nanny...

faithyng,

she cooks but i prefer to prepare my own baby food :). i will put porridge ingredient in slow cooker before i sleep, on the timer & voila, it's cooked the next morning. then only i put whatever cubes of vegi that i want. method as per my previous post.

rach,

actually no timeline when to proceed with pureed food cos depend on baby. some babies 1st food is pureed vegi instead of rice cereal, hehe.

nope, i've only tried Bellamy's. after that i grind my own already.

bumblebee,

thanks for answering on behalf.

happi,

i bought mine from ss2. same row with rhb bank but i forgot the name :D. sometimes will buy from Jusco or Justlife.

Thanks Janicelly..

Dear experienced mummies, I have some (stupid) questions :P - hope you can enlighten -

(1) When you feed your baby porridge for the very 1st time, is it neccessary to blend the porridge after cooking?

One friend suggested grinding the rice grain before cooking (wash, dry under sun then grind into finer grains) while another friend said it is not required to blend cos the porridge is already mushy enough after slow cooking. Your thoughts? Will all the minerals & vitamins be lost if the slow cooking process takes too long?

(2) What brand of food processor is recommended to puree baby food?

rach, for food processor i used braun & tefal. both also ok, but be careful with the newer braun - there was 1 batch whereby it spoils easily. moulinex also spoils easily.

I started off with Baby Cereal from Nestle (plain baby cereal/no milk)....then I bought Heinz Multigrain Breakfast .. she loves it very much as it has banana in it...very very good as she never constipated at all......now at at 5 months...i introduce her plain porridge...blend it to small grain first then slow cook....now she is loving her plain porridge ....at 6 month now...i introduce her sweet potatao, carrots and ikan bilis........

basically when introducing...it is all about your baby...if baby shows signs then you can start....as i was told some baby just hates to it and you will have more headache....start only when they show signs..

rach,

(1) i think for starters it'll be safer to grind them. if you find grinding too hassle, maybe after cooked, you can "strain" to make it more fine? this method is told to me by my baby sitter. depend on your baby too cos i have seen some straight away take porridge with no issues. mine cant (will gag), that why need to blend everything before cook.

(2) i am using something like a Magic Bullet but it's capalang brand. very powerful!

makeupjunk,

no la, my slow cooker dont have timer. i just buy a separate timer from ikea. plug timer in then only plug slow cooker.

xiaoposh,

it's recommended to give at 6 months (bcos of food allergy reason) but some mommies do so at 4th month with no issues. you do more research & follow what's comfortable for you.

xiaoposh,

i start feeing my boy solid when he's abt 5+ mth (abt 1 wk b4 turning 6-mth old)

jan,

oh...u use those ikea timer hor...i was thinking where can get a slowcooker with timer, i aslo want to get one..cuz i am looking for one too..quite a good idea wor..will try tat nx time