DanielT

My wife pregnant?

Dear all,

This morning, my wife tested the urine, seem like got some positive sign, but after hlf an hour, still blur blur, the line. i will go for doctor at clinic. Let say if really pregnant, can we tell our family? as chinese " pantang' , we not suppose to reveal the pregnancy until it reach 3 months.

Anyone can comment?

it is pantang, and also *touchwood* in case anything happens, this is first pregnancy rite.. maybe tell your parents and ILs. Dont tell others till cross 3 months. But in the mean time, take very very very good care of her, dont make her do heavy/hard work...

and hey, CONGRATS!

Congrat to DanielT.

For me i'm not that pantang about this. when my husband knew that, he so happy and told his buddy and family... until one of my relative said that 1st 3 months is very sensitive. but that time is too late to keep quiet....ai!

anyway, as long as take care for your wife and everything must becareful... dun carry heavy things! take more rest....

Daniel, this pantang rule about telling normally means that you do not want to tell too many ppl, esp coliqs and friends esp your wife friends and coliqs cos some ppl believe the Baby can be 'siew hey'.

Have you gone for a check-up? Hope all is well for you and your wife.

Daniel, this pantang rule about telling normally means that you do not want to tell too many ppl, esp coliqs and friends esp your wife friends and coliqs cos some ppl believe the Baby can be 'siew hey'.

Have you gone for a check-up? Hope all is well for you and your wife.

Hi CFA and all,

Ya, just went to checkup last week at KPJ Kajang - Gynae - Dr Lee. Everything seem ok and good according to the doctor.

and next appointment will be on 4 weeks later.

When i asked, what food that my wife can consume and what not, the doctor only say avoid chinese herb stuff - like Bak Kut Teh,herb drinks. others can sapu all. but when i check the pantang larang and some posting about the food that avoid to consume, i kinda not encourage my wife to consume everything like what doctor say.

Honestly, your wife can eat ANYTHING except chinese herbs (because of bleeding issues), coffee, tea, alcohol, unpasteurised and raw items. The rest are just old wives tale with no scientific proof or grounding. For example, people say pregnant woman should avoid pineapples and oranges can cause miscarriage and cooling. The stem in the pineapple contains the enzyme that can lead to bleeding and miscarriage not the flesh but you know how many pineapples you have to eat in order for that to happen???? And oranges? No scientific proof. In fact, oranges are high in folate acid and good for pregnant women in the first trimester!

Congrats on the Good News!

No need to pantang too much... Informing immediate family members are essential, others... if they ask, then i tell

after 1st trimester.. spread d news thru FB

As for food, must take folic acid (the type which are from vegetables), avoid cold & cooling stuffs,

pineapples- i totally avoided it for the 1st trimester, after that.. long long time eat 1 piece lo

oranges- didn't take, cos many ppl says baby will have lots of phlegm later

chinese herbs- didn't take any (not because of pantang)

Oranges - absolute nonsense. I ate oranges EVERY DAY and drank orange juice twice a day throughout my first trimester. Eva has no phlegm except when she has the common cold - which is normal - and is hardly ill.

All those angmohs out there don't follow our pantang like cooling and cold so their children must be sick all the time, right? WRONG.

My take on the matter - use your common sense and logic; don't blindly follow what people tell you especially old wives tales.

normally doc will tell u no need to avoid those pantang food that the older ppl advise.

for me i followed some... dowan to have regrets or be blamed in case anything happen. :mellow:

i minimized/ avoided fruits like pineapple, watermelon (cold)..., lamb (scared of 'fatt yeung tiu')..., duck/ seafood/ nuts (scared will have skin allergies)..., heaty food like chilli (scared will have heat rash)..., vege like kangkung...

danielT, u just do watever ur comfortable with la... watever put ur mind at ease, it's just 9months anyway :happy:

enjoy the pregnancy journey!!!

I don't see the logic of avoiding some of these pantang food and gets quite irritated when my MIL tells me i cannot eat this and that. So, I just don't eat those food whenever she's around. For my first pregnancy, my HB used to follow his mom and tell me don't eat this and that. So during one of our gynae visit, I told him to ask gynae whether I can eat those food. The gynae told him of course! why not! hehe, my HB was embarassed after that and didn't bother me anymore.

i only avoided pineapple & papaya during my pregnancy... i was brought up avoiding these 2 fruits during my period, my period always had terrible cramps, i was scared it will pain even more!

others all i hentam only... watermelon in fact was my no.1 craving last time

My mum bugged me non-stop about my pantang and after Eva was born, she went around telling people to eat whatever they like but she contradicts herself sometimes!