Sign in to follow this  
chooz

Travelling with baby

I have a lot of travelling opportunities with my hb but ever since we have our baby, we have to put aside our travelling & holiday plans. We really want to have a family overseas trip soon but was adviced that it would be better for us to wait till our baby at least 1 year old. I also feel that at 3 months old, it'd be quite inconvenient to bring our baby overseas ... My baby had his first flying experience at exactly 1 month old. That time hb and I flew together with him to KL but since it was a short trip so baby was ok with it. Ever since then, my baby already flew 3 times to KL from Singapore and every time he seemed ok with the experience. But I'm concern about longer flights, not sure if he's gonna take it well too.

Would love to hear from mummies who has travelling experiences with their babies. At how old (how many months) did you start travelling (flying) with your baby? And most importantly, how did you bathe your baby, wash and sterilise his bottles if you were lodging at a hotel? Was it really a hassle? :unsure:

Please share youre experience if there's any :)

Hi,

my BB is 4 mths plus now.

CNY (1 mth ago), we travel back home town from KL to Kedah (north) by car

it was a long distance. around 6 hours journey.

at this age, he doesn't like to sit still

and likes to look around, stand wif your support.

So, is kinna tiring holding him in the car.

It was noon when we started our journey.

But when we travel back to KL, it was evening.

And noticed he can't stand the jam.

we suspect he got motion sick.

very tiring for BB if travel like that.

We parked at hotel in Kedah.

I brought along the bottle steamer wif me.

I wash & steam the bottles in the hotel.

Of course i brought along the clensing instruments too.

I m using Avent

We even brought the BB bathing tab wif us.

I bath him in the hotel. luckily the room's toilet is big enuf.

(the hotel room's toilet got no bath tab, if hav, then i wud bath him straight in the bath tab)

Also, make sure your hotel rooms, u able to switch off air-cond. Not those centralized air-cond room

as worry after bathing BB, BB caught cold.

Travelling wif BB need to bring a lot of his thingy.

the car is mainly BB's stuff..haha

we even bring along his bouncer/rocking chair.

We didn't bring his stroller, as we didn't plan to jalan-jalan

Just hang around mom's house most of the time.

It's quite tedious travelling wif BB when they are still to little.

hb & I wud like to hav oversea trip but hav to postpone until atleast BB is 1 yo, when he can walk on his own.

so, shud b next year then..

Also, it is not advisable to travel when BB is still little, as their immune system is still not strong enough yet.

Especially travel by car, BB tends to get dehydrated easy, and this can trigger fever ezly.

By the way, how old is your BB now?

I agreed with wht Scarlet say... Chooz i think hv to postponed till your baby 1 years or you may go juz only ur hubby and u ma... ur baby can be take care by ur PIL / any relatives...

Going for travelling really many thing hv to take... my Hometown (Pahang) juz 2 hours plus fr KL my hubby also say i bek alone.. baby stay at home.. :( but i no care my hubby... i will bring him along bek... even my baby no go shopping complex before fr he born out till now.... now i worried my son scaring of people...

As my hb complain very boring always just stay at home, so, last Sunday we brought BB out in the afternoon. At night we brought him out too, to shopping mall have dinner. BB was very happy & excited, busy looking left & right. Jumping on your lap.

But guess wht, when we reach home,we hav BIG PROBLEM putting him to sleep. It was way past his sleeping time, he was so exhausted, yet he refused to sleep, and make a lot of noice (cry). Hb & I really got sooo...panic!! He has been making noice for almost 1 hour, we tried craddle him in different ways, yet failed to sooth him down. At last I bring him down stairs to living room, carry him upright resting his head on my shoulder, and walking and tap softly his bump, then only he fell asleep. He fell asleep also i think is he too tired oredi... What a nite. And it doesn't end just there. Mid nite, he wakes up crying aloud, as if having nightmare..woke up 4,5 times...

..think can bring BB out, but just don't spend too much time outside.

sis told me if they get too excited, they can't bring down the exciting emotion, and will hav problem to sleep at nite.

hb & i agree, no more eating out at nite ! Urgh!!

chooz

my MIL brought her grandson back from Ireland to Malaysia before this CNY (around 14 hours flight), baby that time was only 2 months plus, everything seemed to be fine. she said baby acted normal, eat, play and sleep. this is not the first time, my MIL every year come back will bring her grandson, this time she brought 2, one is 2 months + and one is 3 years old ( third times coming back to malaysia) :lol: .

1075211.png

lilyrosey,

When my BB is 2 mths old, we travel long distance, he was alright

even sleep very well in the car.

but not when he's older 3/4 mths old loh...

Scarlet

you got point too, i never experienced it so im not sure, but the 3 years old started travelling by flight when he was 5 months++, everything seemed to be fine too. maybe every baby is different :lol:

1075211.png

my bb been travelling with me for more than 4 hrs car ride for 4 times (during my confinement & CNY back to my hometown & ). he's ok. he woke up for milk then we hv played for a while, then went back to sleep. we 2-3 stops at the stop area so tat i can bring him down for a short walked & we got some room to stregth our leg too :) i am glad tat we hv a car seat, so tat i dont hv to carry him for the whole 4hrs + ...

however, our first 'trip' out to shopping mall, guess he got scared, it was a wkend & the shopping mall was quite crowded & there's an event going on at the concourse area. he had probelm sleeping tat night .... thank god my mom was here with me tat day. however, aft tat day, he seems to adapt to crowded area , we bring him everywhere (but not pasar mallam, though i i miss pasar malam so much) , he seems pretty happy sitting in his carrier & stroller ... once, he even 'refused' to go home with me when i brought him out shopping. (cuz once i put him in my car, he started to cry) ....

i am planning to bring him to a short trip when he's abt 9+mth old .... so, i am getting him ready for travel now... :)

My MIL not allowed my BB go shopping even morning / afernoon... i'm understand that can't out in nite / bek in nite.... as i know baby will cry in midnite... i just think my MIL them over kan cheung... thats y i decided bek with my mum them along with my son to my hometown (Pahang).... when in Pahang i will bring my son to pasar malam / and shopping mall too...

Chooz.. chooz... ur BB looks like who? Mind to exchange ah! u got friendster ma? keke sorry over tittle liao ler.. hehe makeupjunk urs baby too wor... mind ah!

kekeke

at last i have bought Peg Perego stroller at mothercare...is toffee colour..the orange colour sold out wor...my daughter seem scared at first..then after a while she gets used to it...she is now 2+ months... :)

my bb start travelling right after her full moon...we went back to penang from ipoh...she was alright...just wake-up for milk & play a little while yau back to sleep...just need to make sure she is comfortable & get enough of sleep..should be fine....oh! we have to bring all her belongings with us everywhere we go..bath tub wise i will use the inflatable bath when i go to hotel....strellisers i buy those tablets from pigeon when travel...

ya hor, why i never recall abt pigeon tablet ? i hv one whole pack in the cabinet...taught of buying those inflatable bath tub too ,wanted to know more ... , do we hv to blow it by our own ?

As for me, i do think is depend on the baby whether he/she likes the environment either in the car or flight....they might feel uncomfortable even if just travel short distance... :)

Like my sister, she alwiz travel back hometown, but is early in the morning so that her babies can sleep in the car, then they will not feel unconfortable for travelling...

I ask my frenz before whether i can take flight or not end of this year....as i'm planning to travel to China but i give birth only on May, she told me that is alright to take flight with baby...just we need to let him/her drink more water and need some cotton to put inside the ear (i also dunno what the cotton use for)...we can get advice 1st before we travel... B)

Ha, finally got time to reply in this thread ... baby was a handful ...

wah, so many post, dunno where to start :lol:

lilyrosey, scarlet, thanks for sharing your experiences ... looks like nowadays babies start to travel at a very young age. I was feeling kinda bad and guilty when brought my baby on his first flight at 1 month old. And when we drove back to Ipoh during Chinese new year, I felt bad that he had to endure such a long journey in a car with us. But we had no choice as driving was the only option to get to Ipoh (airport closed down already). My FIL wanted his grandson to celebrate his first CNY with him so we had to go back ... My baby was very dehydrated from the long ride in the car that for the first time he kept asking for water. Babies don't usually like to drink water... However, now that I've read so many experiences travelling with young baby, I feel much better now, I'm not the odd one out :) I supposed these days travelling is inevitable at times, even if it means having a young baby tagging along, it has become part and parcel of life.

xin_yue,

Ya, I think I'll most proabably wait until my baby about 1 year old then only go overseas. Don't think I can leave my baby behind as I'm breastfeeding. And also both hb and I are very attached to our baby ... If not for work purposes, my hb wouldn't want to go overseas without us. Every time when he's overseas, he'd call home and tell me how much he misses his baby boy :( And every time for his trip, he'd bring along pictures and videos of our baby so that he could look at them or watch on his laptop when he misses him ... kesian him sometimes :(

My baby look like who ah? Very hard to say coz some say look like me, some say look like hb, some say look like combination of both :lol: But most ppl think he has got his own look ;) I also want to share my baby's picture with you! In fact, I so want to post his photos here in MB but I can't seem to be able to do so ... I'm using photobucket, maybe MB doesn't support photobucket application? Any other way? :unsure: I do have frienster account but don't have any pictures there one wor.I only set it up to connect with friends and see their photos, heeheee :P If you want I can send my baby's picutre to you :)

laie,

I've seen the inflatable bath selling somewhere before, but was it useful? If it's really handy, then maybe can consider bringing my baby to stay in hotel :)

Travelling overseas with a young baby has another potential problem ... As we are not familiar with the places at other countries, we might have a hard time finding baby rooms when our baby needs nappy changing. Not all places are baby friendly you see.

Ya, it was very useful when we go travel.. :D we have to blow on ourself..but it was okey..ask the husband to do it :lol: or else u can buy those electrical or manual pump....u can find it Jusco, Giant, Carrefour those are quite cheap & handy....i saw mothercare selling about rm50...safe your luggage space...i bought mine in Giant cost about rm19 only & last me for whole year..now my son already 13 months :) still can fit in...

Oh ya... dun forget to bring along their medicine (standby) like fever med / colic relieve med / etc. ...even ur BB is not sick.

Another concern of travelling outstation / oversea especially, need to know where is the emergency check point (hospital / paed clinics) in case...

need to be alert also if the country / state we r going got bird flu or influenza or SARS outbreak.

Another concern of travelling outstation / oversea especially, need to know where is the emergency check point (hospital / paed clinics) in case...

Hey, you brought up a very good point to note! How come I've never thought of it! :ph34r:

Thanks ~ thanks

chooz

my MIL brought her grandson back from Ireland to Malaysia before this CNY (around 14 hours flight), baby that time was only 2 months plus, everything seemed to be fine. she said baby acted normal, eat, play and sleep. this is not the first time, my MIL every year come back will bring her grandson, this time she brought 2, one is 2 months + and one is 3 years old ( third times coming back to malaysia) :lol: .

1075211.png

lilyrosey,

Wah, your MIL very "geng" leh! You mean she ALONE, onboard with TWO young kids? :o I mean 1 young kid and 1 young baby to be exact ... How did she ever managed that? I couldn't even bring ONE baby on flight alone without a help tagging along! :ph34r: Several times when my hb had to fly overseas (long journey) for work, I would go back to M'sia to be with our family there. And every time without fail, hb would tag along with me because he "m'ng fong sum" (worried) I travel alone with our baby. He would stay with me in M'sia for 1, 2 days then fly back to Singapore to prepare for his flight the next day! Then when he's back from overseas, he would fly himself again to M'sia to "pick us up" and all 3 of us fly home to singapore together ... I know it sounds like a hassle but we've been doing this "pattern" about 3 times already since baby was born. I think (and hb thinks too) I'm not able to cope alone :ph34r:

That's why ... I really salute your MIL ... maybe need to learn from her :P

Hey Chooz,

It should be ok to travel not more than 5 hr in the flight. I brought Naomi to bangkok for 1 month staying in hotel, so boring.... but she's ok, that time around 5-6m old.

I was planning to take her to Paris next week with hubby initially, but when I tried to do the ticket booking with the agent, so happened she just brought her 1yr daughter back from US and she said it was a nightmare because too long hr flight, her daughter was making so much fuss.... and I decided not to spoil my romantic holiday with a lil monster on hand. So I didn't get to go too lor, Naomi still on my breast mah.

So I guess, even when it's 1yr old.. long hr flight is still not advisable lor.... :P But depends on BB lar.. some BB are so good.... definitely not my lil devil.

I was once in a 7 hour flight from New York to London. 2 kids, I think about 2-3 years old cried all the way, especially when the plane was descending which cause their ears to be painful. Even the stewardess got annoyed and fed up with the kids

chooz

i also dont know, maybe the flight attentants would help out abit for the 3 years old child. and she said the passangers beside her also will help out abit :D .

totally cannot manage by herself lar.

the small baby just sleep and to be fed only.

she really got something one. have to say so.

1075211.png